The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: SPEED RACER Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
It's good. I've heard rumors that it would be groundbreaking, or maybe envelope pushing, but it wasn't to me, at least not beyond some technical stuff. You probably have to be about 11 to really love the film, though. The monkey steals the whole picture.
Quote:

Originally Posted by devincf
View Post
It's good.

SAY WHA?!
The automobile racing scenes didn't push the envelope for you? To me it certainly does based on that extended 4 minute trailer and the ten other international trailers that came before it. I would think that the Wachowski duo owe some of their inspiration to GL for his podracing sequence, but what appears to be going on here takes that to a whole new level.
It's a bunch of CGI cars. What's being pushed here? It's just technical stuff, how the cars look and move, nothing cinematic.

Some people will argue that there's cinematic envelope pushing in some of the montages and the way images are presented, but I felt like it's just a hyper version of a 60s freak out movie melded with an art film.
Great news! I love a good monkey movie.

Quote:

View Post
Some people will argue that there's cinematic envelope pushing in some of the montages and the way images are presented, but I felt like it's just a hyper version of a 60s freak out movie melded with an art film.

That's fair enough, but a 'hyper version of a 60s freak out movie melded with an art film' that ALSO has big budget special effect is very rare things to see in the multiplexes. Sounds like a treat to me!
Quote:

View Post
The monkey steals the whole picture.

Deal sealed.

And I don´t know if it has to be groundbreaking for having a good time. But it does look like one of a kind. I guess we´ll see in a few weeks.
I knew people were going to come around on this. It looks so fun in a weird way.
If this is actually a good movie, whoever put together those trailers should be fired immediately.
The trailers have turned a lot of people onto the movie. Six months ago, I had ZERO interest, now I can't wait for IMAX.
I thought the trailers sold the movie for what it was. An insane Cgi extravaganza.
Never was a fan of the anime and know little-to-nothing about it. But how the filmmakers crafted the *world for the movie looks really cool from my perpspective and I'll watch it beacause of this and the car-fu mayem that will ensue.

*from what I seen in the trailers
Who cares if it pushes the envelope or not? As long as it delivers on the fun and craziness the trailers have promised, I'm good to go.
Wachowskis again? No thanks.
Devin - In the trailers there is always at least one shot where it looks like a holographic red #4 car identical to Speed's car careens around the track, jumps a chasm, etc. and then a moment later the actual white car follows the same path, eventually catching up to the red one and taking its place. Has anyone else noticed that? What is that effect supposed to represent? Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL4
View Post
Devin - In the trailers there is always at least one shot where it looks like a holographic red #4 car identical to Speed's car careens around the track, jumps a chasm, etc. and then a moment later the actual white car follows the same path, eventually catching up to the red one and taking its place. Has anyone else noticed that? What is that effect supposed to represent? Thanks

I've noticed a lot of people asking this, but thought it was pretty obvious that it's basically Speed racing against the memory of his brother's car.
What I want to know is, does it seem like the Wachowskis are taking it all way too seriously at times? Did you ever laugh at the self-importance? Because that's the vibe I get from the trailer. Not that that can't make for an entertaining movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cognizant
View Post
I've noticed a lot of people asking this, but thought it was pretty obvious that it's basically Speed racing against the memory of his brother's car.

Your answer is the only one I've heard, and I appreciate it. But obvious? That's a bit of a stretch.
How is Matthew Fox as Racer X? Does he bring enough of a presence to the role, or is he fairly blah? For that matter, how important is he to the overall story?
Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL4
View Post
Your answer is the only one I've heard, and I appreciate it. But obvious? That's a bit of a stretch.

I have watched the trailers more times than was necessary, I guess...
Also, can you please break embargo and tell us every single detail of the movie a month from release?

Does the kid brother cause too much trouble? Do the ninjas throw ninja stars? What's Racer X's favorite color?
you're absolutely right...I was asking for every single plot point of the movie rather than general questions of opinion regarding Racer X...I should be chastised severely.
Wasn't aimed at you particularly.
Just saw the Wachowski/Emil Hirsch version of this in a tv spot. It was pretty funny.

Giacchino's score is almost as good as the work he did on Rat and The Incredibles.
Awesome.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Bateman
View Post
Giacchino's score is almost as good as the work he did on Rat and The Incredibles.

Whoa! Expectations bumped up another notch.
The movie is growing on me. I found myself watching the trailer about a hundred times while bullshitting with Moriarty in the green room at the junket today, and I never got bored with it. I sort of want to see the movie again.
DVD release date of November 25th announced:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/san...for-x-mas-4461
I wouldn't trade this for Iron Man or Hellboy or Dark Knight in any universe, but I am finding myself remarkably excited for this movie. I just feel like I haven't had a truly and fully visceral exciting experience in a movie theater in a while.
Quote:

View Post
...I felt like it's just a hyper version of a 60s freak out movie melded with an art film.

That's all I could ever want from a Speed Racer movie.

Quote:

The monkey steals the whole picture.

I noticed he's been MIA from the newer trailers/TV spots, so I was wondering if they were trying to downplay him. Good to hear Chim-Chim gets some good screentime. It's also good to hear that they used a different take for that "I was just saving your ass" scene because the take they showed on that ET spot awhile back was hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

I still can't get over the fact that I'm talking about Speed Racer and name-dropping Chim-Chim in 2008. It's awesome and depressing all at once.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
View Post
The trailers have turned a lot of people onto the movie. Six months ago, I had ZERO interest, now I can't wait for IMAX.

Likewise. Might be going by myself, but who cares?
There are TV spots online with the kid and the monkey doing crazy things. They're probably being shown on networks and shows aimed at kids, so that's why you're not seeing them.
Yikes. Can't wait to read your review.
So does Chim-Chim finally get his "badass revenge"?
I was on a film set today and had about three conversations with groups of three or more and all of them said the exact same thing:

"I thought it sounded fucking stupid, but seeing some of the new trailers I would really like to see it."

Or a variation thereof. Maybe folks will come around to this movie more than some think. Hope so.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18