The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: You're Killing Me Smalls: How Have Movie Quotes Entered Your Lexicon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ever since watching the Red Letter Media reviews I've found a number of Plinkett-isms popping up in my regular speech, like "Shblims! Shblamo! Shblims!" whenever I accomplish something, chanting "Pizza rolls, pizza rolls, pizza rolls!" and referring to my son as "thuh bo-ehh."

I'll probably end up threatening to withhold pizza rolls from the next person I disagree with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector
View Post
So how are the divorce proceedings going?

Still, that's amusing IF she's patient and a genre fan....

She's not a genre fan (but she knows where the line comes from, but yes, she is infinitely patient with my geekiness.

Whenever I have to utter the words "Get down," it's always the way Arnold said it when getting John out of the way from the T-1000 when they first meet in T2. Whoa, that reminds me of another one: My kid has a friend in her class named Connor. Whenever she talks about school and his name comes up, I interrupt her mid-sentence with my Arnold-esque "John Connor?"

"NO Dada! Just CONNOR."
Not that I use it a lot, but there's been a couple times when I caught myself starting to ramble on and decided to cap it off with "blahblahblah and hey there, Elmo, what's in your basket?"

It succeeds in recapturing the subject's attention, albeit usually in an awkward silence kind of way.
I can't believe it's taken me this long to mention "Dead on balls accurate." seeing as I say it about as much if not more than any other film quote.
Whenever I ever refer to anyone or anyTHING as old, I feel a terrible compulsion to complete the sentence as "he/she/it should have been out the game years ago but he can't go home because he hates his wife!"

I don't know why. It drives my own wife nuts, I think.
While John From Cinncinnatti was on my roommate and I had a tendency to use the term "I gotta take a horrendous dump".
Speaking of Milch, I am fond of calling wild, out of control idiots "hoopleheads" or "hooples" for short.

I really want to drop "dirt worshippers" and "chilichompers", but I know better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse The Mind
View Post
Ever since watching the Red Letter Media reviews I've found a number of Plinkett-isms popping up in my regular speech, like "Shblims! Shblamo! Shblims!" whenever I accomplish something, chanting "Pizza rolls, pizza rolls, pizza rolls!" and referring to my son as "thuh bo-ehh."

I'll probably end up threatening to withhold pizza rolls from the next person I disagree with.

I'm just waiting patiently for the perfect opportunity to say 'WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAACE?"
Hammerhead, I work in a dermatology clinic, so I have at least fifteen perfect opportunites a day to say my favorite line from the entire TPM review. Unfortunately I also really like being employed, so I guess I'll have to save it for my next family reunion.
Ghostbusters. Arnold. Die Hard. The Sandlot and as much of Blazing Saddles that is socially acceptable.

I am, after all, an 80s kid and a 90s teen.
Ok, so, I tend to enjoy using quotes from films in every day conversatione especially when I'm talking to someone who I know won't understand what I'm talking about

For example, my parents

In recent months when my Mom gets on my nerves and is either bugging me or saying things I do not appreciate, I exclaim in an over loud and exaggerated accent "Thank you for your visit" and then if she keeps talking I interrupt her and declare even more forcefully "Thank you for your visit".

No doubt you all find this as hilarious as I do
I almost never quote movies, it's usually television (specifically Seinfeld and The Simpsons) that I find myself quoting.

It's funny that so many of you quote the Sandlot. My sister was a fan of the movie and her wedding ring is engraved with "foreverrr". I can't remember the reason, but I think it was a movie she quoted often with her husband, and I guess it sort of fit in this context. I think his ring bares a quote from Dancing With Wolves "I go where you go". It was a quote they would make fun of.
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3cii
View Post
I almost never quote movies, it's usually television (specifically Seinfeld and The Simpsons) that I find myself quoting.

It's funny that so many of you quote the Sandlot. My sister was a fan of the movie and her wedding ring is engraved with "foreverrr". I can't remember the reason, but I think it was a movie she quoted often with her husband, and I guess it sort of fit in this context. I think his ring bares a quote from Dancing With Wolves "I go where you go". It was a quote they would make fun of.

A marriage founded upon mockery for a great film like DANCES WITH WOLVES is doomed to failure, IMHO

I gave Clue a millionth re-watch the other night and realized that whenever I hear anyone say "to make a long story short" I have for years invariably interjected with "Too late!" regardless of how much time they have spent on their story.

*EDIT* and I just realized that someone else already pointed this out.  Just goes to show that one search is never enough.

*EDIT2*  Just so I don't feel like a total necromancer I often use "Well my nuts are halfway up my ass but other than that I'M PERFECT!" when someone asks if I am OK.

The Metallica documentary Some Kind Of Monster gifted my brother and I a plethora of quotes, particularly everything that comes out of  Lars Ulrich's mouth. We still say "It's stock! What do you want me to say?!?" when we find anything run-of-the-mill, and any awkward/annoying situation is always capped with one of us going, "Fock. Fock... FOCK! FOOOCK!".

Obviously, 95% of anything I say is a regurgitation of a line from Ghostbusters. A few from GB2 sneaks in every so often: "Business or personal?" "Everything you are doing is bad. I want you to know this." and "You're not sleeping with it, are you?"

One of the longest standing quotes isn't really a quote or a song: it's the "you bet your ass" whistle that Hawkeye Sutherland does in M*A*S*H. I've done that since I was a kid. In recent years, I've also adopted Mr. Fox's whistle/click/salute combo, with my lady picking up the "crazy stare signal" to let me know she's still listening. We also use "There's a lot of attitude going around. Don't let me catch one." with each other when one of us is being obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Still in regular usage:
CADDYSHACK: 'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice.'

Oh yeah, that one will never die.

Others:

"My advice to you is to begin drinking heavily."

When estimating a number, "220, 221 - whatever it takes." Also from Mr Mom, I'll sometimes drop the "wanna beer? Scotch?" at 7 am or so (which isn't the exact quote, but I don't usually have Martin Mull playing straight man so I roll with what I've got).

Dazed and Confused:

(when told someone doesn't have the thing you just asked for) "Be a lot cooler if you did."

And not a quote, but we decided that any time you are as angry as you can possibly be, you are "O'Banion Angry"

When things break around the house, either me or my brother are guaranteed to break into Phil Daniels in Quadrophenia mode: "YOU KILLED MY FACKIN' SCOOTAH!!"

One of my most used is for situations where I'll guess something and get it wrong and when I'm told the real answer my response 87.6% of the time is:

"Samsonite! ... I was way off!"

I suppose this isn't completely on topic, but I think it's a funny story, so I'm gonna tell it. One morning I was sitting at breakfast with my father. When I was slow to start eating, he looked at me and said, "Don't just look at it, eat it".

I got excited and told him that he'd just quoted a movie without realizing it. I considered telling him the name of the movie and the context of the quote in it, but then realized this would be an uncomfortable conversation that I'd rather not have with my father. I'm glad he didn't ask. 

Kick his ass sea bass! -Dumb and Dumber

What did you do Ray?! -Ghostbusters

I say these a lot....well, far too much.

I wish I was secure enough around black people to drop Jules' "Shiiiit negro, that's all you had to say" from Pulp Fiction in conversation more often.

The A.V. Club's 'Random Roles' interview with Christopher Lloyd reminded me of how fond I am of saying "PLAY THE GAME!" to someone when I get impatient with them.

Christopher Lloyd's character taunting someone with that, saying it over and over again no matter what the other guy says (while poking him!) is one of the funniest things I've ever seen and makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. And I don't care if people don't get the reference when I say it, because just saying it makes me laugh too.

Not really a quote from the movie, but I drop INCEPTION's tag line "your mind is the scene of the crime" into conversations now and then. Like yesterday when a friend wondered what it is like to have sex with Danny DeVito.

hey dont feel bad because i am a single  mother to two kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinam1993 View Post

hey dont feel bad because i am a single  mother to two kids

Well, you've just ruined my day.

I quote O, Brother, Where Art Thou?  too much.  Especially "It's a fool who looks for logic in the heart of mortal man."

One that I love but nobody ever gets is giving a Lugash-esque "Everyone gets cat!" when a bunch of people do something good.

My friends and I have pretty much adopted "Classic MacGruber...." whenever something awesome happens. Which is pretty much never....

Every time, as in every time I pull up into a parking space with my girlfriend in the passenger seat I turn to her and say the following:

"Alright here?"

"What?"

"Alright here?"

"No, we're closing in a minute."

"That's OK, we're leaving in a minute."

Un do seatbelts and leave the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

I quote O, Brother, Where Art Thou?  too much.  Especially "It's a fool who looks for logic in the heart of mortal man."

It's actually, "It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

Not a movie, but theres that qhick scene in SPACED where Tim and Daisy are in the pub, Daisy is drunk and "Don't Be Cruel" is playing and she's singing along.  When it comes to the backup vocal part, she sings it as "Hot Banana", which totally fits.  Me and my girlfriend listen to a lot of Elvis (Happy Birthday, tomorrow, Elvis!), and every time that song comes on, we both just sing the back-up "Hot Banana" every time.

I'm pretty sure I called everyone I met cocksucker for the duration that I was watching Deadwood.   If they were lucky, I did it llike Mr. Wu.

Also from the Wright/Pegg/Frost collection of movies, "two seconds" is a phrase I use when people ask me how long I'll be etc... all the time now.

AMy wife and I regularly break out Lana's 'Yeeeepp' or 'Nooooooooooope' from Archer. Also, if my students are doing something dumb 'How is this happy fun time? Use your imagination. Make a soccer ball out of a dead cat'
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6