The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: You're Killing Me Smalls: How Have Movie Quotes Entered Your Lexicon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reading the thread on The Sandlot made me think of how quotes from film have entered the vocabulary of my friends and I over the years. I'm not talking about shouting random Austin Power quotes over and over again until both they and you have become dull and annoying. I'm talking about how lines of dialogue from film have crept into our lives and been used to express ourselves and comment on our experiences.

"You're Killing Me Smalls" is a prime example of this phenomena for me. I still use it to this day when my 9 year old makes a particularly frustrating mistake, doesn't do what I ask him or just as an observation over some sort of random incident. I can remember exactly how my usage of this phrase both entered and evolved the vocabulary of my friends and I as teenagers. It was borne from the natural process of nicknaming one of our friends (who had a bit of a passing resemblance) "Squints Palledorous". From there, the usage of the phrase just became natural. You said something extremely stupid? "You're killing me Smalls". Fuck up rolling a joint? Same thing. It kind of became a catch all to describe stupidity or failure in our lives. And if you did something really, really fucking ignorant? You had to add the "you're killing me" refrain as a second reminder: "You're killing me Smalls....you're killing me."

I don't think this is a rarity among social groups so I'm wonder if anyone else has/had adopted film quotes as everyday language and for what purposes?
Hot Fuzz, "Yarp" (all variations); very useful when being ordered around like a drone.
Still in regular usage:
CADDYSHACK: 'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice.'

Everything else has pretty much run its course, including the ones from FLETCH.
Since becoming a father, the phrase "mother pus-bucket" has almost entirely replaced my in-home exclamations of frustration and/or ridiculously painful blunders. I actually find it more satisfyingly vulgar than its traditional counterpart.
"You're killing me, Smalls" is part of the lexicon of a lot of people in their mid to late 20s. Personally, I'm a fan of "For-ev-errrrrrr" from that flick.
For the last 20 years or so, when confronted with an odd, mysterious or otherwise bizarre situation, someone is bound to comment, "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

Booth, God willing, your Caddyshack quote will never lose its utility.
My wife says "You're killing me Smalls" at least once a week, usually at me. Bah.

I can't eat BBQ now without quoting Ron Burgundy: "I had ribs for lunch, that's why I'm doing this."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
Booth, God willing, your Caddyshack quote will never lose its utility.

It's far too useful to abandon.
To follow the Anchorman trend I find myself frequently saying "I'm Ron Burgandy?" during moments of confusion/after somebody asks me a long string of questions.

Only about half of the people that get the first one get this, but after something really strange happens I often pop in with "Would you believe..." ala Get Smart.

There used to be a ton of Kevin Smith quotes in there too but I've weeded most of them out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
For the last 20 years or so, when confronted with an odd, mysterious or otherwise bizarre situation, someone is bound to comment, "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

For me, it's "Dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

Also, whenever I have a one of those weird coincidence moments, I can't help but mutter to myself, "Plate o' shrimp."
Absolutely any time when I'm watching a hockey game and they pull the goalie, I feel the need to quote the Iceland coach from Mighty Ducks 2 and bellow out, "Ze Goalie!".

Also, maybe too much info, but alot of times right before I use the bathroom I pull out a Friday the 13th Part 5 and exclaim, "These damned Enchiladas!"
I have 2 Anchorman quotes that are trotted out regularly. When I play poker with my college buddies and the inevitable Mom joke gets dropped then somebody will inevitably give the "Dorothy Mantooth was a saint!".

My wife and I always use "Milk was a bad choice" as well.

ETA: Not from Anchorman, and not in regular rotation, but one that I can't get rid of is also "Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"
Whenever confronted with something unusual I tend to go with "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw" from Heathers.
"Sorry 'bout the mess."

"What's in the baaahahaahx?"
I'm also a fan of dogs and cats line from Ghostbusters, as well as "Milk was a bad choice".
I got two. Whenever I complete a difficult task, I usually say: "Light is green, trap is clean."

The other one is a little darker. Whenever I'm trying to assist someone and they start giving me attitude, I hold up my hands and say: "Hey, I'm just trying to help Ike." Which is from What's Love Got to Do with It?
Wilder's "You get NOTHING! You LOSE! Good DAY, sir!" from Willy Wonka continues to be my go-to phrase of denial of service/objects/favors
I am waiting for a chance to use: "Who are you?" "I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan J
View Post
I am waiting for a chance to use: "Who are you?" "I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy."

Find Mark Wahlberg and start talking to him like you know him. Then when he asks you who you are, lay it on him. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. It'll probably make him chuckle while he calls the cops.
Having to look after an incorrigible 7 year old girl just about everyday makes the use of "You'll get nothing and like it!" damn near mandatory.
I tend to illuminate the lives of others with Python stuff all the time, but the movie phrase I've hung on to longest, for no particularly good reason, is John Lennon's "Well, there you go, then." from A Hard Day's Night; it's like my all-purpose verbal shrug.
I too use "You're killing me, Smalls!"

If I need the bathroom and my brother has been in there forever (or vice versa), I'll knock on the door and ask, "Hey buddy, you got a dead cat in there or what?" from Terminator.

If I see something weird or unusual I'll refer to it as "Abby someone."
I have weird ones that I've used for ages. "Do shut up, Portia" from A Fish Called Wanda whenever, ya know, I want someone to stop talking. oftentimes when someone says they don't like something, I'll respond with "You'll like this one, Mr. Phoenix... It could save your life." Most embarrassing is if someone lists a bunch of options, and then asks me what I am going to do, i'll start off with "If San Antonio sweeps Sacramento...." I'm not even going to mention what movie that is from.

And I do tons of shit from A Hard Day's Night, but mostly in a low voice just to amuse myself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead
View Post
"What's in the baaahahaahx?"

This is what I yell every time I'm about to go down on a woman and it hasn't failed me yet
There is only one phrase I quote on a regular basis and that's "Finkle IS Einhorn!"
I still call people fargin iceholes.
Here's two I use from The Big Lebowski fairly often. When someone asks what something is, I'll drop, "Obviously you're not a golfer." And the ultimate comeback to any negative comment, "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

I'll say, "Groovy." from Evil Dead 2 when ever I get the chance.

"Party's over." from Dead Alive. Last slice of pizza. "Party's over." Last beer in the fridge. "Party's over." Taking a dump. "Party's over."
I say "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" and "Jesus Palamino!" quite often, as well as "Sweet Zombie Jesus!"

Oh yeah, and "I like the baby jesus best."
"Gimme some sugar baby" will never, ever leave my lexicon.

Echo the "dogs and cats" from Ghostbusters, as well as "we got the tools, we got the talent!" & "it's Miller Time!"
Since becoming a parent, this paraphrased one from DUNE is used frequently during diaper changes:

ME: It's a big one!
MY WIFE: Again, it is the legend!

And though it's a nearly ancient saying, I say "Home again, home again, jiggity jig" because of Blade Runner.

"Son of a bitch must pay" and "Cops got better things to do than get killed" get trotted out every so often too.
I will forever thank Tad Ghostal for the following:

-Jack Lord!
-Oh boy, the Shatner's really hit the fan now. I'm up Dawson's Creek without a paddle.
-Time to fight fire with napalm.
-I reckon that bucket's got some treats inside
Kaww!
Bang!
Fuck!
I'm dead!

From the Crow, usually while making the bird motions with my hands
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken
View Post
I will forever thank Tad Ghostal for the following:

-Jack Lord!
-Oh boy, the Shatner's really hit the fan now. I'm up Dawson's Creek without a paddle.
-Time to fight fire with napalm.
-I reckon that bucket's got some treats inside

Don't forget "Wait'll [subject] tastes my vanilla thunder!"

And if we're going to expand this to TV, one I picked up from Spongebob that never fails to illustrate just how bad someone's joke was - "THAT'S A GOOD ONE ISN'T IT?"
My latest atrocity: whenever someone (or myself) says, "Brrr. It's cold in here," I can't help but add "There must be some Toros in the atmosphere!"

I suck.
I only use two, and they're both from Caddyshack. "You'll get nothing, and like it!" and "But it looks good on you though."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6