The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: THE AVENGERS (2012) Post-Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I'm not allowed to really get into too much of anything yet, but to those of you who may have slipped through the embargo cracks, I say...

Smash.

Joshua Miller, please let it be known that I hate you for making different life choices to me which allowed you to view The Avengers two weeks before I get to see it.

That is all.

Yes seconded. Are you even allowed to say if Marvel's big gamble paid off?

See you in a fortnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

Yes seconded. Are you even allowed to say if Marvel's big gamble paid off?

See you in a fortnight.

I...think he kind of did?  At least, I kinda took his statement to have a double-meaning, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Miller View Post

I'm not allowed to really get into too much of anything yet, but to those of you who may have slipped through the embargo cracks, I say...

Smash.

The Avengers is on par with a television drama about making Broadway musicals? Well, crap. Thanks a lot, Josh!

A 20 minute look behind the scenes of The Avengers?

Sure, why not:

Would you say we've gotten much of a glimpse of act 3 from the trailers and tv spots? Or have they still withheld quite a bit?

You've seen both everything and nothing from Act 3. In typical Building A Team structure, the Avengers don't finally gel until the final battle. Thus the trailer needs to use footage from this section, such as the iconic money-shot of them all standing in a circle together. But the fight is pretty epic and lengthy and leveled. So they only show the tip of the iceberg of action - though they do blow a great Hulk/Iron Man moment in some of the trailers.

But - if anything - the heavy use of Act 3 footage just makes everything else in the movie more of a surprise. I had absolutely no idea of some of the fight combinations we'd see.

Tony calls Thor 'Point Break' in this clip. Gotta love Whedon.

The thing that sucks about seeing a film two weeks early and loving it:

Not being able to see said film for another two weeks.

Is there anything else that's vague enough to not qualify as breaking non-disclosure that you could say?

I have also signed an embargo but for some reason I am allowed to tweet and spread the word that this film is fucking awesome!!

Peter Berg should be chained to a seat and forced to watch this with someone shouting constantly in his ear "NOW THATS HOW YOU DO SHIT!"

This movie reminded me why, even though I have never been a huge comics nerd, I had this poster on my wall as a kid...

bob_larkin_hulk.jpg

Bunch of spoilers about some scenes in the movie, if you're interested:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/F...s/?a=57971

I shouldn't be asking because I really DONT want to know, but then again, I DO want to know....can someone answer....

IS

THANOS

IN THIS MOVIE AT ALL??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

I shouldn't be asking because I really DONT want to know, but then again, I DO want to know....can someone answer....

IS

THANOS

IN THIS MOVIE AT ALL??

I have not seen the movie.

However.

I have seen several reports so far that say:

Yes, he appears in a "mid credits" stinger.

The rumor is also that there's both that mid-credits teaser, and a fully post-credits scene that is apparently -just- being filmed (so preview audiences haven't seen it) possibly tying directly to Iron Man 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post

I have not seen the movie.

However.

I have seen several reports so far that say:

Yes, he appears in a "mid credits" stinger.

The rumor is also that there's both that mid-credits teaser, and a fully post-credits scene that is apparently -just- being filmed (so preview audiences haven't seen it) possibly tying directly to Iron Man 3.

c9b357bfefca8db8f3f16037079e657225fe74f.jpg

Embargo has lifted in some countries, and here's a review from Empire Magazine:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/revi...FID=136194

Warning: Some spoilers might be present so read it with caution.

Verdict: 4 stars out of 5

WTF?! Curse ye, foreign territories! I wanna post my review!

Also, I'd like to say already: DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE AVOIDING SPOILERS. There's a pre-release thread for a reason. While it is weird to have embargo free discussion on the forum for a site whose critics are bound by said embargo, such is the nuttiness of the world. Those of you who want to talk about the film, have at it. No need to hide spoilers.

Positive review from IndieWire:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/r...t-20120419

Their two main complaints are an underdeveloped Hawkeye who spends much of the film as a plot contrivance and Loki's motivations being a little too opaque.

Positive review from Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/avengers-film-review-robert-downey-jr-scarlett-johansson-samuel-l-jackson-314291

...and a positive review from Variety: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947410/

Not sure how this embargo thing works if these publications can post their reviews, but I enjoy reading them quite a lot. Sucks that I still have to wait 2 weeks to see this movie, though. Why can't it be May 4 already!?

Ok so the embargo lifted here today...

My full review will be posted up at another site later today but anyway i love ya CHUD so just a few points about the film..

This is quite frankly a brilliant film and they key to the whole thing is Whedon. It may be one of the best written blockbusters ever made and this is due to mostly two things:

1. Going in I was frightened that with so many characters one or two of them would get short shrift and end up not having their moment in the sun, not so much. Each and every one of the characters has something of an arc and character development throughout the story, not a single one of them is short changed and even Black Widow and Hawkeye get an intriguing back story...This is miraculous considering the film is just over two hours long and not four hours but again this is down to great writing.

2. Since Iron Man I have felt that none of the characters in the Marvel movieverse have really come to life on screen, as good as Thor and Captain America may have been they seemed more concerned with telling an origin story and getting to a certain point to lead into this film. Here armed with Whedon's dialogue and gift for the one liner and visual gag the characters are more alive than previously. Whdeon's handling of the conflicts that arise between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers is perfect and the scenes between Thor and Hulk are some of the most fun I can remember having in a mainstream summer blockbuster.

On top of all this you get amazing amazing action when the shit hits the fan.

If I was Spider-Man or Batman I would be very worried right about now....

Batman's gonna be fine, but Sony really should be shitting their pants over this.

So can we ask you questions?

1) How is Cap's costume on screen? I've been none too thrilled with images of the helmet and neck sock in stills - better in motion and in context?

2) Do we get some cool shield ricochet stuff? I realize that's terribly specific, but I'm a huge Cap fan, and I loved cool shield trick shots in the comics and cartoons. There was a bit of it the Cap film, but not enough for my taste.

So glad to hear the film is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

So can we ask you questions?

1) How is Cap's costume on screen? I've been none too thrilled with images of the helmet and neck sock in stills - better in motion and in context?

2) Do we get some cool shield ricochet stuff? I realize that's terribly specific, but I'm a huge Cap fan, and I loved cool shield trick shots in the comics and cartoons. There was a bit of it the Cap film, but not enough for my taste.

So glad to hear the film is awesome.

1. This is the one element that comes close to not working, when he is standing still its not great honestly, but in motion yeah it works. If they could have made the costume closer to the one that appears in The Ultimates this would have been better

2. There is plenty of him throwing his shield about on the NYC streets, he gets some stellar moments on the ground with Black Widow trying to defend the public.

If you weren't already in love with Tom Hiddleston, you will be now.

Loki himself explains why superhero films matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

If you weren't already in love with Tom Hiddleston, you will be now.

Loki himself explains why superhero films matter.

Wow.  I'm suddenly very interested in seeing Hiddleston do some writing and/or directing.

Saw it at a preview last night and thought it was great. I was always more DC than Marvel, but seeing these iconic characters together on screen should give anyone who has ever cared about comics a bit of a shiver up the back of the neck.

Like Lloyd Dobler said, they all get their moment of glory but the Hulk was the star for me. The part from the trailer where he catches Iron Man? There's another scene that tops that ... "Weak God" :-)

Can't wait to see it again next week.

The reviews touch upon the one issue that I feel might hold this one back just a tad at the box office, and I want to ask this to you peeps who've seen it.  Not as many people saw Cap and Thor as they did Iron Man.  Are those people going to understand who those characters are and why they behave the way that they do?  Will anyone who didn't see Thor understand why Loki is doing what he does?  Or who the hell Hawkeye is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn22 View Post

The reviews touch upon the one issue that I feel might hold this one back just a tad at the box office, and I want to ask this to you peeps who've seen it.  Not as many people saw Cap and Thor as they did Iron Man.  Are those people going to understand who those characters are and why they behave the way that they do?  Will anyone who didn't see Thor understand why Loki is doing what he does?  Or who the hell Hawkeye is?

Moot point, I reckon.  Considering half the characters in the Movie Universe themselves haven't met, there should be more than enough exposition on-screen to bring the people who didn't do their homework up to speed as well.  Beyond that, well, call me an idiot but I still have faith in a small portion of the audience being able to connect the dots without having their hand held through every single minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

Batman's gonna be fine, but Sony really should be shitting their pants over this.

How long do you think it'll take for Sony and Marvel to talk about a possible team up? Hell, even FOX for that matter.

Quote:

Honestly I never thought of this before seeing you write it here but when I think about it I dont think it really matters. Each character gets enough of an introduction and time in the spotlight that you could potentially go in cold and still have a good time. I'm asssuming anyone who goes to see this film at least knows who the characters are without the details of each so this will help. Having seen Thor will definitely help with understanding Loki's motivations but not the whole Hawkeye thing as he is in the very first scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBaseNick View Post

How long do you think it'll take for Sony and Marvel to talk about a possible team up? Hell, even FOX for that matter.

Really. I think Fox will see this and realize that whatever F4 plans they have pale in comparison to this. "Hey Marvel - you make it and let's share the $." I don't see Disney sharing.

So, this is POST release, right? I'm gonna spoil the shit out of this.

The movie is so much fun. Whedon really did it. I gotta say I was never a big fan of Buffy and Angel and only liked, not loved Firefly, but this is truly one of the best big action movies of the last years. Why? Mostly because it handles the many characters so well. Everyone gets to shine. The story is simple but never stupid, there's so much fun without ever bringing the needless crass TF humor. Scarlett is sexy without ever being exploited. Most of all: there is so much action and everything is huge, has weight and is always visible. No cam shaking, no super editing.

- Hulk gets a whole bunch of great scenes and steals it everytime. Hulk and Thor, Hulk and one of the Leviathans, Hulk and Loki... so damn good
- the trailers didn't do the movie justice, scope is much much bigger, the final 20 minutes action scene really doesn't look like happening in just one street
- there's also a huge action scene on the flying Helicarrier

- interestingly, the movie puts some distance between Fury and the Avengers

- loved the Stuttgart scene, very obviously winking towards X-Men
- by the way, no suprising cameo, no Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther etc.

If you at least enjoyed the Marvel Cinematic Universe flicks, you'll love this.

What could have been better:
- Smulders as Hill - pretty pointless, didn't add anything. Coulson should have got all of her scenes

- in the final third, Loki isn't that interesting anymore

- Chitauri are many, but faceless goons

- there's a scene in the woods that has horrible lighting

Questions:

- do you really think Coulson is gone for good? What about the card stuff
- was that Jeffrey Wright as Thanos?
- some say Pepper appeared to be pregnant? Didn't get that

- the dark figures Nick Fury talks to, one of them Powers Boothe?

Quote:

They go over Loki again, as THE AVENGERS is in a sense THOR 2. And Cap gets a little re-coverage. Hawkeye, not so much. Frankly, I feel like he never got much of a set-up, including his intro in THOR.

But I think a bigger issue for people going into AVENGERS without having seen all the Marvel films won't be whether they are confused by the characters backstories but whether they will give a shit about the characters, period. If you know the comics, then you're cool. But I really don't think AVENGERS works as a stand-alone project.