The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: Ideas For Future Drafts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Westerns would rule.



However, I just want to throw out another suggestion: For Valentines week, most romantic movies?



I know participation would be horrible, but I thought that would be a fun draft to see where tastes go. And  perhaps discussion/ arguments on how truly healthy relationship depicted in a film might actually may be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Westerns would rule.



However, I just want to throw out another suggestion: For Valentines week, most romantic movies?



I know participation would be horrible, but I thought that would be a fun draft to see where tastes go. And  perhaps discussion/ arguments on how truly healthy relationship depicted in a film might actually may be.


​Were we still looking at doing something to overlap with Valentine's Day? Some good ideas were floated, including this one just now, Superlaser's character draft idea, His Girl FridayCasablanca, etc.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.  Boom.

I'd go for CASABLANCA over BREAKFAST. I'm not opposed to the "most romantic" idea, but that seems like it might be way less competitive, since everyone would pretty much be doing their own thing.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S:



Holly Golightly


Paul 'Fred' Varjak


Mrs. Failenson ('2E')


Doc Golightly


OJ Berman


Mr. Yunioshi


Sally Tomato


Sr Pereira



Fill out the final two with any of the leftovers.



For a Valentine's Day draft, it'd be hard to beat.

I just really don't think a lot of folks are that familiar with the nuances of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Should we recast PORKY'S, then?

I say we do whatever draft is decided upon by the person with enough spunk to run it and start a sign-up thread.

It's not me being glib, or flippant, or saying "let's do an 80s movie." There are a number of classics/romances that would work. But it seems the drafts that are most successful - and attract the most number of participants - are ones where people have more than a passing familiarity with the film, or have seen it enough times to recast it without a rewatch. TIFFANY'S is nobody's favorite, I'd wager, and even the most film fantatical among us might have only seen it once or twice. As opposed to something like CASABLANCA, which is part of the popular memory and has been seen enough times that everyone knows the contours and plot of the movie/its characters.



That being said, I agree with this: 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

I say we do whatever draft is decided upon by the person with enough spunk to run it and start a sign-up thread.

DEEP THROAT?

Mash them together and call it ​Breakfast at Rick's?



Seriously, I'm not particularly busy next week. I know Casablanca better than Breakfast at Tiffany's​, but, if others are interested, I'd be willing to try running either.

I'd be down for either, but honestly I'm also in the "knows Casablanca better" camp.

Yeah I am sorry to say I really don't know Breakfast at Tiffany's at all.  I'd be down for drinks at Rick's, though.

ACasablanca is a good all around choice.

Round up the usual suspects.

CASABLANCA



Rick Blaine


Ilsa Lund


Victor Laszlo


Captain Louis Renault


Major Heinrich Strasser


Signor Ferrari


Signor Ugarte



Choose three from the following:


Sam


Pickpocket


Yvonne


Sascha


Annina Brandel


Berger


Carl




Sound good?

I would say Sam should be an essential character, but that looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

CASABLANCA



Rick Blaine


Ilsa Lund


Victor Laszlo


Captain Louis Renault


Major Heinrich Strasser


Signor Ferrari


Signor Ugarte



Choose three from the following:


Sam


Pickpocket


Yvonne


Sascha


Annina Brandel


Berger


Carl




Sound good?


​Seems right. And my offer to run this one still stands. Should I go ahead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pither View Post
 

​Seems right. And my offer to run this one still stands. Should I go ahead?



Go for it!  If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to ping me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 


Go for it!  If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to ping me.


Thanks!

Sign-up thread is up!

We did "return to the 70s" last year. How would folks feel about an "80s redux" draft, or maybe westerns?

Would prefer 80s, but either would be cool.

AI never got to get in on the 80’s draft. That’s gotta be it.

It’s also been a decade since the Action Draft.

I can't believe the 80s draft was that long ago.  Looking back on it, it seems I took a rather hard line against making nostalgia picks.  I'd kind of like to do it again with an eye towards competing for some of the decade's favorites.



But Westerns would be sweet too.

I'd push for doing five picks instead of ten, like in the 70s draft. With five you have to be way more picky and it makes for better themed drafts.

Ten picks was a lot more fun with the 70's draft, if I may counterpoint.

There's an argument to be made for both sides.  On the one hand with five you can have a more focused draft, with an eye toward a cohesive theme.  On the other, ten gives a better representation of what the decade had to offer, and we don't have to resort to a bonus thread where people invariably rattle off a million titles.



Might I suggest a compromise?  Double picks for the first couple days, when enthusiasm is high, giving way to single picks in the latter part of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

There's an argument to be made for both sides.  On the one hand with five you can have a more focused draft, with an eye toward a cohesive theme.  On the other, ten gives a better representation of what the decade had to offer, and we don't have to resort to a bonus thread where people invariably rattle off a million titles.



Might I suggest a compromise?  Double picks for the first couple days, when enthusiasm is high, giving way to single picks in the latter part of the week.


Throw in a bonus pick - eight picks for the 80s?

I was thinking about five vs. ten today, as five has always been the traditional number of flicks with decade or genre drafts.



But I could also see ten to keep it fresh/mix it up. I like eight, too.

Keep the number of picks consistent.  If it's twice a day for a few days and then one a day for a few days, people might get confused.  Keep it simple, keep it consistent.  There's merit to doing 5 picks or 10 picks, so leave it up to whoever decides to run the thing and just go with it.

I'm all for a decade/genre draft next, but I just realized a perfect movie for the next draft that I think I MAY have mentioned: Glengarry Glen Ross. Seven or eight roles tops, and TONS of opportunities for diversity/genre swaps.



We owe it to ourselves for those leads, dammit.

Thinking about kicking off the new boards with an 80s draft. We'd be picking ten, not five, in order to mix it up. I also feel like we all collectively have enough depth to our knowledge of the 80s that ten would force us to be creative by day three or so.

Thoughts? What dates work for folks?
While I'm game for a draft, I also think we ought to consider waiting until more older Chewers make the transition to the new board. maybe give it a month.

Also, the site has some performance issues that will hopefully be ironed out soon. It'd be ideal to have those resolved prior to a draft considering how fast people tend to want to be on the trigger finger.
The best date is the one you tell us. None of this democracy crap. This is America, after all.