The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Post-Release Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

KKKKHHHHHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Post-release because I've seen the film, and I don't want to ruin it for others in the pre-release thread.

Let's just get it out of the way: the reason you-know-who is in this?  I like it.  It makes sense.  And it really does tie back into Nero pulverizing the shit out of the USS Kelvin.

Is the Kirk rumor true?  I'm pretty sure it is but how does it play?

Spill the beans! How was it, give us a small review.

If what I've been hearing is accurate, the end of this movie is going to piss alot of Trek fans off.

It's basically like  the end of Wrath of Kahn, except the Spock/Kirk roles are reversed.  Kirk dies/sacrifices himself, but it's established earlier in the movie that Khan's blood has magical healing properties...!?!?!?  And they inject Kirk with Khan's blood and revive him.

AOh you have got to be fucking kidding me. What is this, the first Pokemon movie? Everything I hear about this plot keeps getting dumber.

Forgetting the plot, can the film at least be enjoyed on a purely visceral level?  Does shit blow up good?

Edit: What Judas said.  If it brings the same breezy charm as the first, I'll be happy.

Look, I don't understand how any of you could expect a smart plot from the Three Horsemen.  It just wasn't going to happen.  They are one step up from little kids eating paste in the corner, cackling as they smell each others farts.

AThis is one of those flicks where I'm going to spoil everything for myself because I need to set my expectations accordingly.
A[quote name="MrBananaGrabber" url="/community/t/147679/star-trek-into-darkness-post-release-thread#post_3500907"]Look, I don't understand how any of you could expect a smart plot from the Three Horsemen.  It just wasn't going to happen.  They are one step up from little kids eating paste in the corner, cackling as they smell each others farts.[/quote]
This is quite true. However, that does not mean that I want to eat paste and smell their farts, nor does it make them not dumb for doing what they do.

The spoiler that Ambler posted?

If that's true, that's completely and utterly retarded.  It's honestly the most bogus thing I've heard in my entire god damned life.

Who in their right mind would ever believe that they'd kill Kirk off forever?  But, putting that aside, that's some bullshit way to bring him back.  They may as well kill Spock and remake Star Trek III.

But killing any of these characters has no weight, apart from the emotional weight that these characters have from having been played by beloved actors other than the actors who currently play them for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post

The spoiler that Ambler posted?

If that's true, that's completely and utterly retarded.  It's honestly the most bogus thing I've heard in my entire god damned life.

Who in their right mind would ever believe that they'd kill Kirk?  But, putting that aside, that's some bullshit way to bring him back.  They may as well kill Spock and remake Star Trek III.

Its true... and that was my reaction too.

I'm more offended by this is more of Bob Orci's conspiracy bullshit to 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

Its true... and that was my reaction too.

I'm more offended by this is more of Bob Orci's conspiracy bullshit to 11.

I WANT TO BELIEVE, indeed.

Holy shit.  HOLY SHIT THAT IS SO STUPID THAT I'M HAVING AN ANEURYSM.

QUICK! SOMEONE FIND KHANBERBATCH SO HE CAN HEAL ME WITH HIS MAGIC BLOOD.

Who cares if it's breezy if it's completely fucking stupid? Not to sound harsh, but why are we supposed to be excited that the people we expect to be glossy but terrible produced something glossy but terrible? Meeting expectations doesn't mean much when you expect something to kind of suck.

I don't see what kind of curiosity anyone can have that isn't of the morbid variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Youngblood View Post

Who cares if it's breezy if it's completely fucking stupid? Not to sound harsh, but why are we supposed to be excited that the people we expect to be glossy but terrible produced something glossy but terrible? Meeting expectations doesn't mean much when you expect something to kind of suck.

I don't see what kind of curiosity anyone can have that isn't of the morbid variety.

Agreed.

But magic blood?!?!?!?!?!

This was always going to a lazy Sunday afternoon redbox rental anyway out of curiosity if the reviews weren't savage...now I absolutely have to watch this...drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post

Agreed.

But magic blood?!?!?!?!?!

On paper, this element sounds as bad as he amnesia bullet from X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE.  I'm praying that it works well within the context of the film that we're presented with, but it just screams of something that would make me, quite literally, throw my 3D glasses at the screen in disgust.

Because I still like Trek 09?  Because it's likeable despite it's stupid stuff?

AMagic blood is this year's adamantium bullet to the brain.

ETA: what Judas said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

On paper, this element sounds as bad as he amnesia bullet from X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE.  I'm praying that it works well within the context of the film that we're presented with, but it just screams of something that would make me, quite literally, throw my 3D glasses at the screen in disgust.

Apologies, but I'm having spoiler-tag problems if anyone's concerned about that.

Unless it's something that was done to him after being discovered, it'll also make the Kahn of Wrath of Kahn look like the biggest idiot in the world. Of course, starflet doing it to him is also insanely stupid as well, so theres that.

Or it sounds as stupid as a starfleet officer giving birth while being rushed around in a wheelchair, saying a teary goodbye to her husband who is on an exploding ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Or it sounds as stupid as a starfleet officer giving birth while being rushed around in a wheelchair, saying a teary goodbye to her husband who is on an exploding ship.

I had zero problem with this plot element in the first film.  Nothing that happens in that scene is out of scope with the STAR TREK universe.  You have space travel (which is an accepted norm), you have time travel (which is an accepted norm) and you have childbirth, a real event.  They're merged together in a scene of forced crisis, but there's nothing there to get into a twist over.  It's highly coincidental, nothing more.  No cringe-worthy plot device is present to move the plot along.

And I thought Khan was supposed to be sort of an ethnic character.  Why is he being played by a British white guy in this?  And why does he look nothing like Montalban? (or maybe he does and I just don't see it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

And why does he look nothing like Montalban? (or maybe he does and I just don't see it?)

I personally have zero issue with this.  Simon Pegg doesn't look anything like James Doohan but we're rolling with it.

Quote:

I personally have zero issue with this.  Simon Pegg doesn't look anything like James Doohan but we're rolling with it.

My problem is more the ethnicity aspect.  From what I remember Khan was very clearly some sort of Spaniard, with the skin tone, looks and accent.  I look at Cumberbach's Khan and see absolutely nothing like that.

Cumberbatch is just playing a Brit playing a Mexican playing Indian.

Quote:

Yeah, but Scotty is a white British dude being played by a white British dude. Kahn is a Sikh who, whatever you take it to mean, was played by a Mexican actor, and is now being played by a white British dude, even though, according to the film's internal logic, the events prior to Nero going back in time were the same as before.

AMaybe Starfleet made him white and British, and that's why he's pissed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Youngblood View Post

Yeah, but Scotty is a white British dude being played by a white British dude. Kahn is a Sikh who, whatever you take it to mean, was played by a Mexican actor, and is now being played by a white British dude, even though, according to the film's internal logic, the events prior to Nero going back in time were the same as before.

Unless it is explained by some sort of time warping thing (which still wouldn't make sense), I'm inclined to believe the filmmakers and studio literally don't give a shit, know the audience wont give a shit, so they just do whatever the hell they want because British villains are trending and sound more menacing or something; established rules be damned...it wouldn't surprise me if that were the exact reason.

Quote:

I had zero problem with this plot element in the first film.  Nothing that happens in that scene is out of scope with the STAR TREK universe.  You have space travel (which is an accepted norm), you have time travel (which is an accepted norm) and you have childbirth, a real event.  They're merged together in a scene of forced crisis, but there's nothing there to get into a twist over.  It's highly coincidental, nothing more.  No cringe-worthy plot device is present to move the plot along.

Okay, I see where you're coming from.  I was using that as an example of a scene that sounds goofy on paper, but worked on film.  But you're right, it doesn't contain a bad plot device.

If this is all true I'm glad I spoiled it for myself. It'll help it go down easier.

AI'm at work and can't check spoiler tags on my phone. I'll confirm said spoiler info when I get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Okay, I see where you're coming from.  I was using that as an example of a scene that sounds goofy on paper, but worked on film.  But you're right, it doesn't contain a bad plot device.

By the way, I hope I didn't come off as being snarky in my reply to your post.  That wasn't my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

If what I've been hearing is accurate, the end of this movie is going to piss alot of Trek fans off.

It's basically like  the end of Wrath of Kahn, except the Spock/Kirk roles are reversed.  Kirk dies/sacrifices himself, but it's established earlier in the movie that Khan's blood has magical healing properties...!?!?!?  And they inject Kirk with Khan's blood and revive him.

This is true (and a major spoiler, by the way.  Don't click on it if you don't want the film ruined for you).

I liked the film quite a bit.  It doesn't have quite the propulsion of TREK '09, but the villain is way, way better.  And since established characters actually die, the stakes are considerably higher.

And Tribbles!

It might work better in execution (given my generally low opinion of Abrams, I very much doubt it)...but that sounds exactly like something that I would expect Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof to write.  Reworking parts of WoK and dumbing it down considerably, the significant flaws masked by a charming cast doing their best with a shitty script and decent action.

A[quote name="The Dark Shape" url="/community/t/147679/star-trek-into-darkness-post-release-thread#post_3501167"]I liked the film quite a bit.  It doesn't have quite the propulsion of TREK '09, but the villain is way, way better.  And since established characters actually die, the stakes are considerably higher.[/quote]
Do established characters actually die and then not get magicked back to life by bullshit ass-pulls? More importantly, does it mean anything that they die? Does it fit any kind of thematic purpose, or is it just there because the writers wanted to make it seem like there were stakes and settled for swiping from Joss Whedon's last-act playbook? Because it takes a hell of a lot more than just kacking cast members to make events actually resonate (and that's something even Whedon only seems to get about half the time, to say nothing of these clowns.)

I mean, they threw Spock's mom down a black hole in the first one, and all it amounted to in the end was making him slightly more sullen. Wahoo.

Quote:And Tribbles!
Oh joy, more checklist writing!