The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: Damon Lindelof's WATCHMEN, Coming to HBO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Yes, really.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/watchmen/...n-lindelof

Technically, still in development, but whoa.

AGreat, we needed another really stupid Watchmen adaptation.

Hardest of hard passes on this.

ASet it in the modern day, Trump is prez, keep the alien, lose the needle drops, and I'm in.

Nope.  No no no.

Ugh.

AOh, and add Batman.

I'd be fine if they go the Leftovers route and change absolutely everything except the basic idea of the concept.

Hell, get him in a room with Greengrass and gimme that "Dr. M stops nine elebben" thing we heard about.

OR get HBO to do an eight-episode limited series and pony up for big time stars.

Cruise as Ozy.

Billy Crudup comes back as Dr. M. The only one who does.

I'm ambivalent about Lindelof, but had they done this from the start and had 2009 never happened, then I might have been in. Now? Pass.

Oh, the irony of people who whined for years that this "should be/should have been an HBO miniseries" actually being disappointed in it possibly being an HBO miniseries.

What is with your weird defensiveness about literally everything? Watchmen was adapted in 2009. It wasn't good and now some people are kind of over it. It happens. Shit, I haven't even watched a single episode of PREACHER and I was pretty gung-ho about that becoming a series at one point. Time passes, interest fades.

I'd be interested in seeing how this plays as a mini-series.

AI don't have HBO.

I liked the comic book.

I liked the movie.

I'll probably like this.

Wut? This sounds pretty unnecessary/creatively bankrupt. Watchmen has already said everything it has to say, across 2 mediums.

Then there's the question of cultural relevance. The movie already blew that wad, obviously. How/why do you go about getting people excited again to see the same damn thing, with slightly different costumes and a lower CGI budget?

Coming Soon: Damon Lindelof's Lord of the Rings

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Watchmen was adapted in 2009. It wasn't good and now some people are kind of over it. It happens. Shit, I haven't even watched a single episode of PREACHER and I was pretty gung-ho about that becoming a series at one point. Time passes, interest fades.

I worked in comic book store in the late 90's and these two were my favorite reads.  2009 brought Watchmen, which I'll defend (mostly) after years of failed attempts.  The first season of Preacher was uneven and overlong as a prequel and could've easily fit into 4 episodes, max.

A[quote name="millennium1" url="/community/t/159432/damon-lindelofs-watchmen-coming-to-hbo#post_4309814"]

I worked in comic book store in the late 90's and these two were my favorite reads.  2009 brought Watchmen, which I'll defend (mostly) after years of failed attempts.  The first season of Preacher was uneven and overlong as a prequel and could've easily fit into 4 episodes, max.  
[/quote]

I have only a rough idea of what AMC's adaptation is or is not, but I think a lot of my disinterest has a bit to do with not being in my teens and twenties anymore. I like the characters now as much as I did then, but the essence of the thing is something that I have moved on from.

As it goes, if HBO were making The Invisibles, then I'd be surprised and intrigued because no one talks about doing that.

Also, Watchmen is still a great comic, but aside from the adaptation, I think its narrative innovations have been cannibalized entirely too much for a new adaptation to be much more than a new adaptation. It could very well be good, but I'd rather see something new.

If HBO wanted to go truly bizarre they'd go full-weird with Transmetropolitan, but I believe that time may have passed too.  Ah well, back to the Marvel/DC mainstream mainstays.

AI think Transmetropolitan, with some updating, could still feel fresh. It would help that no one knows what Transmetropolitan even is. No army of fanboys to answer to.
A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/159432/damon-lindelofs-watchmen-coming-to-hbo#post_4309825"]
I have only a rough idea of what AMC's adaptation is or is not, but I think a lot of my disinterest has a bit to do with not being in my teens and twenties anymore. I like the characters now as much as I did then, but the essence of the thing is something that I have moved on from.

As it goes, if HBO were making The Invisibles, then I'd be surprised and intrigued because no one talks about doing that.

Also, Watchmen is still a great comic, but aside from the adaptation, I think its narrative innovations have been cannibalized entirely too much for a new adaptation to be much more than a new adaptation. It could very well be good, but I'd rather see something new.[/quote]

We don't need a generation of millennials bitching that The Invisibles stole the idea from The Matrix.

Lindelof being involved makes me pass at the very idea of this adaptation.
I just hope Moore goes full crazy old coot and demands every episode has that written by "The Original Writer" credit he forces on everything he doesn't owns as creator.
ATransmetropolitan would have the whole country talking if it aired during an election year.
AI must be the only person totally on board with this. Watchmen as an HBO series by the showrunner of The Leftovers? Hell yeah I'll watch that!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

We don't need a generation of millennials bitching that The Invisibles stole the idea from The Matrix.

They'd learn soon enough, and if they didn't, then who cares?

I actually kind of love the idea.  I will stack my utter disdain for the final season of LOST against anyone and everyone's, confident that my antipathy will reign supreme.  But while I did not love The Leftovers as unabashedly as some critics, it did prove a willingness to go beyond the page in terms of adaptation, and an increased confidence in embracing weirdness as an essential part of the story's make up (rather than as a distraction from all the narrative checks you'd been kiting for the run of your genre adventure series).  Watchmen's narrative is close-ended and tight enough on a plot level that there isn't a lot of room for stupid forced ambiguity.  But it could also use some changes to differantiate it from the book and prior adaptation.  Moving it to the present day and incorporating 9/11 as the replacement for Vietnam is a good example.  

On the other hand, Kyle Reese is right that the movie kind of sapped the novelty and concurrent ablity to actually get excited over it.

I would love a Transmetropolitan series.  It would sink or swim on the casting of Spider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

I would love a Transmetropolitan series.  It would sink or swim on the casting of Spider.

Patrick Stewart would still be game for this even on his deathbed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

What is with your weird defensiveness about literally everything? Watchmen was adapted in 2009. It wasn't good and now some people are kind of over it. It happens. Shit, I haven't even watched a single episode of PREACHER and I was pretty gung-ho about that becoming a series at one point. Time passes, interest fades.

I wasn't talking about you, but you're pretty defensive about comments that follow yours! But your comment definitely gave me the thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Watchmen's narrative is close-ended and tight enough on a plot level that there isn't a lot of room for stupid forced ambiguity.

I at least know what people say about Lindelof, I think Dr. Manhattan's insane powers would provide him with all the temptation he needs to mess around with time-travel and all manner of metaphysical narrative trickery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

As much as I love it, I could do without it being adapted.  Even the phrase "filthy assistants" would cause a whole bunch of SJW meltdowns, and that's before we even get to Fred Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

I wasn't talking about you, but you're pretty defensive about comments that follow yours! But your comment definitely gave me the thought.

You weren't talking about me.

My comment definitely gave you the thought.

Right.

I'm not in any kind of mood to do this dance or derail this thread any further, so I'll just kill the conversation where it lies. You should do the same.

AWould sell the souls of everyone in this thread for a proper PLANETARY series.
ASixteen years passed between David Lynch's Dune and the SciFi Channel's miniseries adaptation. It's only been eight years since Watchmen was in theaters. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but Lynch's version is still the one people remember, for all its flaws.
AAlso, not for nothing, but HBO could easily put twice the budget of what Snyder had to work with. A season of Westworld cost more.

But gimme an INVISIBLES series.
A[quote name="Boone Daniels" url="/community/t/159432/damon-lindelofs-watchmen-coming-to-hbo#post_4309874"]Also, not for nothing, but HBO could easily put twice the budget of what Snyder had to work with. A season of Westworld cost more.

But gimme an INVISIBLES series.[/quote]

The plot point that people only hear what they want to hear when the head of John the Baptist is speaking in the tongue of angels was cribbed from Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. Now, if we're talking about books we want to see adaptations of, that one's definitely on my bucket list.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21