The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: 2020 XFL Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
AWhy not? Vince seems determined to give his upstart football league another go so we might as well start speculating how long before Johnny Football and Tim Tebow are signed with the Orlando Rage.

I look forward to this crashing and burning like it did before. Couldn't happen to a more deserving slimeball.

Via the XFL twitter:

8 teams.

40 man rosters.

10 game season.

4 team semi-finals

1 championship game

It will be interesting to see what cities get teams. LA doesn't seem too interested in their duo of NFL franchises so I'll be surprised if the XFL moves in. Especially with towns like San Jose and San Diego that don't have pro football teams.

40-man rosters?  I was thinking they might do an 8-on-8 format like a lot of smaller high school districts do.  The roster size would seem to bear that out.

Portland could always use another awful, semi-pro sports team that folds in two years.  Could this be the return of the Forest Dragons?!

Wait!  I've got an idea!  Make them the heel and call them the Proletariat!  The far-left enemy of whatever red-blooded 'murican team that is the heroes.  The Texas Truck Nutz?

I reckon by 2020 I'll be too busy waging war for a tank of juice to bother with any football.

Jesus-mother-fucking-tap-dancing-christ.

AThe XFL: Making Football Great Again!

Put me in "Hope this shit fails as badly as the XFL" camp. I, like so many of you, was a huge WWF fan growing up. I gave it when I got to high school bacj in the early 90s just as the hey day of Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, et. al. was coming to an end. Even as a kid Vince always seemed like shady SOB. And of course the way he's treated his wrestlers over the years.

Asshole has stepped on and destroyed everyone he could to get to the top (Hey, that sounds a lot like the POTUS)

I'll pass and stick with the NFL.

It's funny that this is clearly just a way to get a bunch of athletes to stand during the anthem.
AI laughed at ESPN this morning.
"I want violent hits. Ex cons. I want something extreme. We don't need a water downed NFL because we alresdy have it. It's called the NFL"

The pay more to the winners aspect I always liked.

So The Sixth Day turns out to have been right all along!

I'm pretty sure Orlando will get a team, because every not-NFL league that's come down the pipe has had a team here.

AWe had that 30 for 30 on the XFL and the ending was pretty telling that this reboot was in the works. Wonder how much ESPN knew?

I agree with Albert Burneko - https://deadspin.com/the-new-xfl-is-dumb-as-hell-but-thank-god-its-not-actua-1822447469

Quote:
This is a worked shoot, my good buddies. For all the proof you need, repeat the particulars of Vince McMahon’s ostensible plan, out loud, to a skeptical audience, like say on the bus or whatever. A “family friendly” alternative professional football league, with no TV contract, that will exclude players with criminal records yet somehow still find eight 40-man rosters’ worth of athletes good and skilled and competent enough to play a brand of “quicker, simpler ... safer” football with “fewer infractions” and at a high and telegenic enough level to draw football-stadium-sized crowds, and all of it organized and pitched around those players agreeing not ever to kneel or sit during the national anthem—a marginal part of the presentation of a football game that a good 98-percent of football fans happily spent waiting in line for hot dogs or finding their seats or picking their noses for all the long decades of the NFL’s explosive growth into America’s secular religion, and which a fractional smattering of whom only began pretending to care any particular which way about less than 18 months ago. All of it launched and overseen and funded by the leathery pinhead who has spent the past half-century not turning professional wrestling into one of the most popular sports in America, despite never facing direct competition even a hundredth as rich or powerful or entrenched as the NFL—the doofus who tried to launch a bodybuilding league and wound up getting indicted for it. Yes. This is a real thing that definitely will happen.

Oh crap, it's the start of McMahon 2020, isn't it?

AThe premise of the original XFL was that the NFL had made football boring with too many safety minded regulations like the Fair Catch Rule. This new bullshit is Vince pushing back against modern awareness of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

I was suspicious of both Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal because neither ever brought up the working conditions in the McMahon family's business when Linda ran against them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Oh crap, it's the start of McMahon 2020, isn't it?

Or Trump's next gig will be as Commissioner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

Via the XFL twitter:

8 teams.

40 man rosters.

10 game season.

4 team semi-finals

1 championship game

It will be interesting to see what cities get teams. LA doesn't seem too interested in their duo of NFL franchises so I'll be surprised if the XFL moves in. Especially with towns like San Jose and San Diego that don't have pro football teams.

The 9ers are pretty much IN San Jose now, for what it's worth.  I'll probably watch this about as much as the old XFL, so like 10/20 minutes.

I never really got the point of the XFL.  You have the NFL, Arena Football, and CFL teams can have TWENTY imports, so it's not exactly like the top guys who can't get into the NFL are starving for work.  Since the CFL expansion didn't work in the 90s and the XFL didn't work before, why would this work now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

The 9ers are pretty much IN San Jose now, for what it's worth.  I'll probably watch this about as much as the old XFL, so like 10/20 minutes.

I never really got the point of the XFL.  You have the NFL, Arena Football, and CFL teams can have TWENTY imports, so it's not exactly like the top guys who can't get into the NFL are starving for work.  Since the CFL expansion didn't work in the 90s and the XFL didn't work before, why would this work now?

This is all reminding me that I actually miss World Football/NFL Europe.

How extreme can a league be if their are no criminals and you gotta respect the flag? I hope they get sued for false advertising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson View Post

How extreme can a league be if their are no criminals and you gotta respect the flag? I hope they get sued for false advertising.

It's a cross now.  For jeebus.

AI bet we will get Ruptured Scrotum cam!

Maybe Trumpism ducking up with American football will be the turning point?

Fascism does make sports suck a bit
St. Louis will get a team.

The remaining seven teams should be announced next week.
I would be shocked if Atlanta didn't get a team, as Atlanta seems to be getting a team for anything that comes out. There is an Atlanta Flag Football team, and there is also a team for that "American League of American Football" or whatever it is the NFL is doing.
I can't see teams going to cities with pro football teams.
It may be Birmingham again, then. They played in the old Legion Field stadium when it was the Bolts from the original XFL, which was kind of a shit hole.
(11-28-2018, 07:49 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: [ -> ]I can't see teams going to cities with pro football teams.

I guess Vince McMahon disagrees. The only city getting an XFL team that doesn't already have an NFL team is St. Louis.

Dallas, Houston, L.A., New York, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington are the other cities. And hey, just what LA and New York needs--another pro football team.
That's so weird.  The Seattle team will play home games at CentruyLink.  

Although it is pretty cool that Seattle got NHL and XFL teams within a day of each other.
(12-05-2018, 08:22 AM)martianman Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2018, 07:49 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: [ -> ]I can't see teams going to cities with pro football teams.

I guess Vince McMahon disagrees. The only city getting an XFL team that doesn't already have an NFL team is St. Louis.

Dallas, Houston, L.A., New York, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington are the other cities. And hey, just what LA and New York needs--another pro football team.

Who is going to go? If you have a football team why go to an inferior product? LA fans don't want to see the Chargers play. Seems like a misstep to me. I'll bet it folds by year 2.
I think this whole operation is doomed to fail, but I may try to go to the first Seattle game. Seahawks tickets are way above my price range but if I can catch some XFL on the cheap I can have a good time.
You nailed it. We had season tickets to the Birmingham Bolts and we made 2-3 of the games--Birmingham is like 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta. I think our season tickets were like $100 a seat for the season or something cheap like that. And it was a spectacle. They did the whole "play music during every second that there isn't a game happening" and "have something happening on the field during breaks" long before Arena Football and the NLL (Box Lacrosse).
Team names and logos have been announced.

They all kind of stink. Seattle Dragons just fills me with indifference.
LA Wildcats? Wasn't that the fictional name of the football team in Any Given Sunday?

This is going to be so fun watching it crash into a concrete wall at full speed.
It's almost here! Are. you. ready?????!?!?!?!EXCLAMATION PO!NT!!!!
Pages: 1 2