The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: THE TERROR on AMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I think there was a preview of some sorts after The Walking Dead last night, but I haven't watched that show in years, so I'm looking forward to the premiere tonight. I can't tell from the previews just how far they plan to go towards horror in this series, but at any rate, it looks great.

Oh shit, thanks for the reminder that this starts tonight. Time to set up the DVR to record the season.
Good looking out.
Show better feature this, otherwise, no sale: 

Atmospheric horror yarn at sea based very loosely on real events? I'm in!
Anyone catch this yet? I saw the premiere and I'm definitely left wanting more. If it can sustain that interest, I don't know... but we're off to a good start.

Loved the early SCUBA gear scene.. so fucking eerie under that water!
I found this suitably eerie, with much higher production value than I was honestly expecting.  It’s a fine looking show, and I’m a really easy mark for period maritime stories (even before the added mystery/genre layers).  Harris and Hinds are compelling so far.

I will say, having read the novel, I’m not totally thrilled with the glimpse we got of the... thing... the search party encountered, which is described in extremely evocative and unsettling ways in the book (especially its early appearances), but I’ll reserve judgment on that front for now.
For now I'm assuming the show will conclude basically the same way the novel did. I'm hoping it plays better onscreen than it did on the page.
Yeah, the climax is the least-good part of the book. After all the sublime dread that comes before, I don't think the payoff is terribly satisfactory. We'll see what the show does.
I wouldn't quite say the book shits the bed in the end but it's a close thing.
I was considering reading the book... maybe I should reconsider? It's not like I don't already have a pile...

So, is the Lovecraftian feel something from the books, or added for the show? Or am I imagining it? One of my all-time favorite works of genre fiction is Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and I can't help but come away from these first two episodes feeling like Lovecraft's story was a major inspiration.
I'd hold off on the book. It's not bad - in fact, up to the denouement, it's quite good - but the resolution of the story, such as it is, isn't satisfying at all.

If you really like the mini-series, tackle the book after.
The Lovecraftian feel is definitely present in the novel.  The wonderfully foreboding sense of impending doom at the hands of... something beyond the full comprehension of the characters, compounded by the most hostile of hostile environments.
(03-27-2018, 03:03 PM)Anjin Wrote: [ -> ]I was considering reading the book... maybe I should reconsider? It's not like I don't already have a pile...

So, is the Lovecraftian feel something from the books, or added for the show? Or am I imagining it?  One of my all-time favorite works of genre fiction is Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and I can't help but come away from these first two episodes feeling like Lovecraft's story was a major inspiration.

AMC only got the rights after Universal let them go because they thought it was too similar to Del Toro's ever-gestating ATMM adaptation, so I don't think you're imagining it.
(03-27-2018, 03:57 PM)schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]AMC only got the rights after Universal let them go because they thought it was too similar to Del Toro's ever-gestating ATMM adaptation, so I don't think you're imagining it.

Del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaptation is sadly just vaporware at this point, so that was kind of a boneheaded move by Universal. It's a shame about Mountains though... Del Toro is about the only mainstream director I'd trust with visualizing Lovecraftian horror. Off topic, though.

After BSG, I'm not sure I want to invest a lot into a great story that leaves me blue-balled at the end with a flaccid climax, so I think I'll stick with the series until it concludes before deciding on the book. Thanks, fellow Citizens!
To be fair, the rights changed hands like 3 years ago. So Del Toro's ATMM's was only about 9 years into its gestation at that point.
I thought this was just outstanding.

As a big Master & Commander fan, and a big The Thing and Lovecraft fan, this felt like an early Christmas present. Such a wonderful sense of sheer dread permeating everything. The dying crewman and his fucked up vision were legitimately and hauntingly unsettling. The arctic location is fantastically realized and they really sell that this feels like an alien landscape where man does not belong.

And the cast! Jarred Harris is always amazing so him being front and center as the ostensible main character is delightful. Ciaran Hinds and Tobias Menzies I've been huge fans of since Rome so this reunion between Caeser and Brutus is most welcome. Hinds as Franklin especially. He manages to make John Franklin come through as incredibly sympathetic if a bit of a doofus. Sort of a classic, amiable upper manager. Will be interesting to see what the hellish conditions will do to these relationships.

So yeah, I'm in for the duration. Just great stuff all round.

Great intro sequence as well.

(03-27-2018, 04:44 PM)Anjin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2018, 03:57 PM)schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]AMC only got the rights after Universal let them go because they thought it was too similar to Del Toro's ever-gestating ATMM adaptation, so I don't think you're imagining it.

Del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaptation is sadly just vaporware at this point, so that was kind of a boneheaded move by Universal. It's a shame about Mountains though... Del Toro is about the only mainstream director I'd trust with visualizing Lovecraftian horror. Off topic, though.

After seeing Annihilation recently, I mentioned that if Del Toro doesn't want to do AtMoM anymore they should give it to Alex Garland. I think he gets that Lovecraftian dread pretty well.
I really liked this. Stellar cast and performances so far, and atmospheric as hell. You can tell they are working on a TV budget and some sequences look extremely 'soundstagey', but that artificiality really works in context - this environment is just so alien and unnatural.

(03-28-2018, 02:45 AM)Codename Wrote: [ -> ]Hinds as Franklin especially. He manages to make John Franklin come through as incredibly sympathetic if a bit of a doofus. Sort of a classic, amiable upper manager.

As someone who is relatively unfamiliar with the source material, this character and performance took me by complete surprise. Hinds is usually such a stern, commanding presence, and I guess there's a little bit of that initially here, but at the end of the two hour premiere, Franklin ends up looking goofy and pretty foolish. There's pathos there that I was not expecting.
Hinds is hitting some quite subtle and complex notes so far. There's a very standard way Franklin could be portrayed -- oblivious, aloof, with a whiff of willful ignorance -- but Hinds really sells that this is a guy who is trying to do what he thinks is best, but is just thoroughly out of his element. We get the sense that his interpersonal skills and affable personality have propelled his career, not his expertise.
After watching the first 2 shows, and reading the comments here, I gave up and visited the Wiki page for the book. I didn't want to waste my time on the series if it was just a Ravenous (1999)-like arctic survival drama, no matter how well done. The mysterious creature hunting them was my interest, and it promises lots more will come and explanations as well, so I'm sticking with it. And yes, the outside sets look very sound stage artificial at times. Immediately I noted the lack of breath in outside sequences. It would probably be a decision early on in production to be or not to be. CGI aint cheap, can we maintain this thru out the series? Not with all the environment CGI.
Very good first episode, subtle and foreboding. They didn't try to cram too much in, like some pilots do.

I might try to abstain so I can watch the rest of it in one chunk, but we'll see how that goes.
I wish I had read the books more recently, as the cast is an awful lot of bearded white men bundled up in identical coats and hats. Differentiating them is going to be quite the task.

So far, I have a line on Brutus, Caesar and Marcus Aurelius Jr. (thanks typecasting!), plus Hicky the troublemaker and nice Dr. Muttonchops. The rest will hopefully come in time.
(03-29-2018, 05:55 PM)schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I had read the books more recently, as the cast is an awful lot of bearded white men bundled up in identical coats and hats. Differentiating them is going to be quite the task.

So far, I have a line on Brutus, Caesar and Marcus Aurelius Jr. (thanks typecasting!), plus Hicky the troublemaker and nice Dr. Muttonchops. The rest will hopefully come in time.

It's a fairly small group of major players. You're well on your way.
A digression if I may: Seeing Jared Harris in that outfit made me think of Eddie Campbell's Bacchus comic.

Harris would make a damned near perfect Bacchus!
Stevehauk:

Did you recognize the kindly doctor with the muttonchops, because it bugged me for aaaaaages until I finally looked it up?

He was Lee from Utopia!

[Image: LEE-Paul-Ready-1932.jpg]
Has Jared Harris aged 40 years over the last 20?
Great episode last night. The whole series seems to be a slow burn, then sudden vicious horror. Loving it.
Mutton-chop Lee!
I'm kinda with Schwartz, slow getting to differentiate between them, except the officers who "don't got shit all over 'em"
Hinds' character will be fun to see him gradually decline and breakdown with the onslaught of the elements, the unknown menace on the ice, and the growing unrest of the men. The flashbacks hip us to a failure in his past assignments, so he needs this last hurrah to succeed.
(04-03-2018, 10:59 AM)steve hauk Wrote: [ -> ]Hinds' character will be fun to see him gradually decline and breakdown with the onslaught of the elements, the unknown menace on the ice, and the growing unrest of the men.

Yeah, uh... About that...
(04-03-2018, 11:27 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018, 10:59 AM)steve hauk Wrote: [ -> ]Hinds' character will be fun to see him gradually decline and breakdown with the onslaught of the elements, the unknown menace on the ice, and the growing unrest of the men.

Yeah, uh... About that...

He's gonna need a leg up to dig himself out of that hole.
Need to set my DVR to record the series. I have the first ep recorded, but forgot to get this week's.

Sad
Man, that scene between Hinds and Harris arguing over sending out the men to look for help was stellar.  Such a complicated dynamic well-etched by the performers.

I'm also impressed they went for the big "development" this early.  It happens fairly early(ish) in the book, but I expected they might pad it out a little more.

I still think the "bear" is being portrayed as too much just a bear, but we'll see where they're taking it.

(04-03-2018, 12:28 PM)MichaelM Wrote: [ -> ]Need to set my DVR to record the series. I have the first ep recorded, but forgot to get this week's.

Sad

If the past is any indication, the most recent episode should be available on AMC's website, though you'll likely have to sign in through your cable provider to get access to it.
I'm hoping it'll be available on demand via Spectrum and I can watch on the TV rather than computer.
Show is good. I don't know if it can merit a Limited Series (it is limited right? They can't be shooting for a second season?), but I love the cast they've assembled.

Particularly Ciaran Hinds. Unfortunate that he's gone, as he was my clear favorite up to this point. He's a great actor. Jared Harris is a great one too, but his character is a bit prickly and quiet thus far. We'll see how he changes over the course of the show.

I still think a Ridley Scott movie might have been the way to go with this. It seems like they'll have no problem maintaining for a miniseries (though sans Hinds, we'll see). But I feel like the essentials of this story could easily have been covered in a two hour film.
Ten hours seems excessive. Six to eight seems more in line - the book is MASSIVE, and part of it is the slow burn of its TOOOOOOOOOONNNNE.

I've been wondering if it's meant to be a limited series or not; none of the articles I'm reading online say one way or another. I really hope they're not intending to stretch this out over multiple seasons.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7