The Trouble City Forums

Full Version: 1930s Draft: Round One - Hammerhead vs. Hot Sandwich
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-07-2021, 03:17 PM)hammerhead Wrote: [ -> ][Image: King-Kong-1933-6.jpg]

1. King Kong (1933)

[Image: 6355076e063872edabd54f47154db010.jpg]
2. Design for Living (1933)

[Image: fd6f397bc5e3e880c596269b93fbf385.png]
3. Shanghai Express (1932)

[Image: Annex+-+Harlow,+Jean+(Libeled+Lady)_NRFPT_01.jpg]
4. Libeled Lady (1934)

[Image: benny-goodman-quartet-hollywood-hotel-19...=506&h=379]
5. Hollywood Hotel (1937)

BONUS

The Sign of the Cross (1932)

[Image: colbie.jpg]

Peter Ibbetson (1935)

[Image: arton2798.jpg]

Hot Sandwich:

A Journey through HS's Life through Five Movies from the 1930's

Animal Crackers (1930)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sidney Lanfield, 1939)

The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1933)

La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7766]   

The essence of the film is summed up in the quote below, between the French POW and his German captor.

Capt. de Boeldieu: You have to carry on.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Carry on a futile existence.
Capt. de Boeldieu: To be killed in a war is a tragedy for a commoner. For you and me, it's a good way out.

It's BS, of course, based on the horrors of the wars to be fought in the years to follow, and throughout the 20th Century.  The 21st Century isn't looking too promising either.  I only saw this film some time in the 2000's, after I had moved to Silver Spring, MD, and gained access to the magnificent AFI Silver.  I had been in the military for some time at that point, but I had just become an officer.  This movie provided some really valuable philosophical material to chew on, and it's permanently ingrained in my memory.  I often think about it's themes when I have to provide advice, or make important decisions.  The bottom line is that war is awful.  Maybe there was a time when the aristocratic class could find it honorable and uplifting to the human spirit.  A few months in modern Afghanistan would have disabused them of that notion.  

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7765]   

I loved Disney as a kid.  I watched reruns of the Mickey Mouse club, and the Wonderful World of Disney growing up.  But I'm realizing that I never actually saw some of the real classics as a child.  Back in the day before VHS, you either caught a movie on TV, or you missed it.  My folks never brought me out to the movies, so I was left with what happened to be on TV.   As far as I can remember, I never saw this film until I got Disney+.  I knew the plot, of course, and I had seen plenty of clips, but I'm pretty sure I had never seen this film until earlier this year.  It's just outstanding, and I can see why it's considered so ground-breaking.  It's also a lot of fun, and the Hi-Ho song is a real earworm. I showed it to mini-HS the elder.  He has the attention span of a gnat, so we needed two sessions, but he loved it and immediately wanted to see it again.  He's trying to memorize the names of all the dwarves, and of course Grumpy is his favorite. He didn't even flinch at the bizarre tones of the songs sung by Snow White herself, which are clearly of a bygone era.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to discovering more early Disney animation with the boys.  We just started watching Pinocchio, and i realized that I hadn't ever seen that one in its entirety either.

BONUS:

March of the Wooden Soldiers / Babes in Toyland

Reefer Madness
Changed my mind several times, but on the strength of KING KONG, my vote goes to hammerhead.
Never thought I'd vote against a draft with King Kong on it, but Hot Sandwich has just got a murderer's row there.

VOTE: Hot Sandwich
Both lists are extremely strong so it comes down to personal preference. To that end, GRAND ILLUSION is one of the very best films that I've ever seen and was a serious contender for my #1 overall pick. Through that lens...

Vote: Hot Sandwich, with a strong tip of the hat to hammerhead.
I love Kong, but gotta give my vote to Hot Sandwich for Animal Crackers and The Invisible Man.
KONG, along with Dietrich/Sternberg, weighs enough on the scales to tip this to Hammerhead.