The Trouble City Forums
Avatar post-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Avatar post-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=120288)

Avatar post-release discussion - Nick Nunziata - 12-11-2009

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...TAR/Page1.html

Fully prepared for the backlash.

- scratch - 12-11-2009

I don't think you'll get any backlash. You stayed out of the debate, saw the movie for yourself and wrote your honest opinion of it.

I enjoyed your review and I look forward to seeing this movie for myself. I've never seen a film in 3D at the theater before. This seems like a good one to start with.

- ryoken - 12-11-2009

Perfect review, and I'll probably watch this twice (3d films dont subbed here, and i hate dubbed films, so i'll have to do this).
i also dont think you'll get any backlash; you make the point of the film standing on its won and the praise Cameron deserves.

- tati - 12-11-2009

You don't get 3D subs? We started getting them a few months ago. With digital projectors it's fairly easy.

Good review. I want to believe.

- ryoken - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
You don't get 3D subs? We started getting them a few months ago. With digital projectors it's fairly easy.

Good review. I want to believe.

Im hoping we get them for this one....most 3d films here end up being kid/family films, and those rarely get released subbed.
i had to watch Beowulf in 3d dubbed, so i also saw it subbed on a cheap matinée as well.

- eyeball kid - 12-11-2009

Gossebumps. Your joy is palpable.

You have to relay Guillermo's take if you hear from him. I can only imagine that he'll go crazy for this.

- ludwig - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata
View Post

I really enjoyed this review, it seemed like you were able to proof yourself against all of the cynicism and shittalk people have had about Avatar and actually ENJOY it. Which is what it's all about I think. I will be going to see it with my extended family next week at IMAX. I figure I might as well try to experience it in the way it was intended to be experienced if I'm able.

- tbl4 - 12-11-2009

Nick, this is only my third post on your site but I also want to thank you for an earnest and mature review. I am looking forward to taking my ten-year old son to this and hopefully recapturing that "Holy Shit" glee that I felt when my dad took me to see Star Wars so long ago. I can't wait.

- ken savage - 12-11-2009

Great review Nick, you have sold me on seeing this film. Whcih considering how much the trailer put me off is no mean feat.

- tempus - 12-11-2009

Thanks for the review. I was excited before, but now I'm absolutely thrilled at the idea of seeing this film. It's a great feeling knowing that Cameron is back.

- filmnerdjamie - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
I want to believe.

Ditto.

- doc happenin - 12-11-2009

Quote:

This is what The Phantom Menace should have been.

And I enjoy TPM, but this line has me all goosebumped. Great, level headed (in terms of not letting the very long pre-release and kinda iffy marketing affect your judgment) review that has me giddy. I'm opening up optimism, letting it in. Next week can't come soon enough.

- kyler - 12-11-2009

I was on the fence but that review pushed me over to the"Gotta see it" side.I'm there opening night.

- bryan hickerson - 12-11-2009

And this film was so ripe with potential for mockery. For some reason this development is quite shocking to me.

- Judas Booth - 12-11-2009

Great review, Nick.

- filmnerdjamie - 12-11-2009

Hearing Nick's review is encouraging as Hell. Looking forward to reading Devin's thoughts.

- eyeball kid - 12-11-2009

I'll bet Devin will see it at BNAT, though on Twitter he was expressing doubts about its appearance there since Harry's already seen it.

I have a gut feeling it will be there, and possibly Cameron and/or some of the actors too. No real justification for that feeling though.

- joeypants - 12-11-2009

Nick:

More reviews from you, please.

Also, I love the tide of "well, I guess I'll go see it now." I don't for one second believe that one regular poster on this board was ever not going to see this thing inside of the first couple weeks of release.

Seriously, whether you played the role of rabid fanboy, hater, mild skeptic or cautiously optimistic, we were ALL going to see this thing from moment one. It's why we're movie lovers.

- disciple_72 - 12-11-2009

Great review, really excited to see this now.

- zak chase - 12-11-2009

Yeah, I haven't yet seen a newfangled 3D movie either, but I figure I'll take the dive with this one.

- kenndawg - 12-11-2009

That was a wonderful review. I want to feel that way when I get out of the theater.

- lazerranger - 12-11-2009

Impressive review; Nick seems to have seen what I hoped for but was scared to expect. Hopefully if it's as a good a movie as it sounds and wasn't just an ego stroke for Cameron then it will catch on with a mainstream audience and make the money it needs to be profitable.
Very much looking forward to seeing this in Imax next week and Devin's take as I trust him to put all of his previous opinions aside as he did with his Dark Knight review.

- MichaelM - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Avatar is not the future of storytelling or the reinvention of the wheel. It's pulp, but pulp done with the best toolbox Hollywood can offer and pulp created by someone who knows and loves pulp like very few others.

Here is the heart of the review for me, and what makes me interested in seeing it. I love pulp done well or greatly. I think it's a nearly endless well/genre for interesting stories, written and visual.

My excitement is starting to build on this. And, given Nick's review, my chances of seeking out a theater with 3D jumped exponentially.

Great review.

- Richard Dickson - 12-11-2009

That bit from the review that Aranion quoted sounds like it could have come from May 1977.

- v.t. - 12-11-2009

Good review. definitely has me pumped

Best line Ive heard from somewhere regarding this movie: 'it'll fuck your eyeballs out'

- nicholas - 12-11-2009

Great review, Nick. Really good stuff. More reviews, please!
With all of the positive reactions coming in, it's hard not to get a little excited about this. But I think it's still more excitement for a big, geeky film property than the movie itself. I just can't get too excited by the world of Pandora and the N'avi based on what I've seen so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBL4
View Post
Nick, this is only my third post on your site but I also want to thank you for an earnest and mature review. I am looking forward to taking my ten-year old son to this and hopefully recapturing that "Holy Shit" glee that I felt when my dad took me to see Star Wars so long ago. I can't wait.

More than anything, I really hope this movie can deliver that mind-blowing excitement. It saddens me to see kids going nuts over something as monumentally shitty as Transformers 2.

- Nick Nunziata - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson
View Post
That bit from the review that Aranion quoted sounds like it could have come from May 1977.

Not unintentional, I assure you. If I was 8 and saw this, I'd be Mr. Avatar.

- Richard Dickson - 12-11-2009

I was seeing this anyway, but now it's without the "cautiously" in front of "optimistic".

- matalo - 12-11-2009

Here is a stupid of stupidest question. With the advent of Cameron's new 3d filming technique, how is the viewing experience with the glasses? Personally, I have yet to be able to fully enjoy any 3d movie wearing said glasses as I have to move my head up / down / side to side to see the whole screen.

Is this still a nuisance or a non-factor?

This is a totally serious question.

- Nooj - 12-11-2009

I don't think the way the 3D footage is obtained will have any effect on one's comfort level with the 3D glasses. I wear glasses already and have found some 3D glasses to fit well while others have not. I just deal with it the best I can.

If it's an issue of not having to move your head to see the screen, I'd simply suggest sitting further in the back of the theater.

- joeypants - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
I don't think the way the 3D footage is obtained will have any effect on one's comfort level with the 3D glasses. I wear glasses already and have found some 3D glasses to fit well while others have not. I just deal with it the best I can.

If it's an issue of not having to move your head to see the screen, I'd simply suggest sitting further in the back of the theater.

Next time you find a pair that fits well, why not just take them home and take care of them?

- Nooj - 12-11-2009

Good question. I usually just drop them back in the bin that's provided. But I think the ones that fit well were the IMAX3D glasses (practically goggles!) and those aren't as easy to take out. They want you to give those ones back.

- joeypants - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
Good question. I usually just drop them back in the bin that's provided. But I think the ones that fit well were the IMAX3D glasses (practically goggles!) and those aren't as easy to take out. They want you to give those ones back.

Yeah IMAX is pretty much a "give us our fucking goggles back" situation. Regular digital 3D though, I don't think they care if you take them. So in the rare instance that you find some, keep 'em.

- Nooj - 12-11-2009

Hahaha... yeh, the ones the theater doesn't care about are the ones I have to adjust the whole movie. Not worth trying to keep and take care of. But if I find that perfect one, I'll definitely hold onto them.

Now what I'm not sure about is if glasses for a RealD showing will work fine at one showing Disney Digital 3D, or whatever other 3D is out there these days.

- e.t.c. - 12-11-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeypants
View Post
Nick:

More reviews from you, please.

Also, I love the tide of "well, I guess I'll go see it now." I don't for one second believe that one regular poster on this board was ever not going to see this thing inside of the first couple weeks of release.

Seriously, whether you played the role of rabid fanboy, hater, mild skeptic or cautiously optimistic, we were ALL going to see this thing from moment one. It's why we're movie lovers.

I was always planning on seeing this, but I had very, very low expectations stemming from the really terrible trailers and just general lack of excitment that all of the previews and whatnot were giving me. But now, after reading this review my expectations are very high. I'm genuinely excited now and can't wait to see it!

And yeah...Nick, why don't you do more reviews? You write really well.