The Trouble City Forums
Avatar post-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Avatar post-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=120288)

- ocp-001 - 12-20-2009

Saw it too in 3D the problem with the glasses is that it distracts you from to see the background good enough of the movie, so you can't follow the movie good enough, This was the first time a saw a movie in 3D and i can say you that i was really not impressed at all by it.

3D is nice for short attractions like Marvel park in Uiversal studios Orlando the 3D was cool there in Spiderman.

But a Cinema is not a an attraction park So i'll see no future in 3D for the Cinema's, i think it's only an hype for Now.

I also think that's it's really not good for your health especially your eyes to see an 3 hour movie in 3D, a couple of times during the movie i had to took my glasses off and eventually got headaches during the movie, a day after the movie i had massive pain attacks in my head.

So i see no future in 3D Cinema's so i'll boycot it.

No 3D panasonic plasma screen in my house to hell with it.

by the way Avatar is a bigboxoffice failure

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

- greg clark - 12-20-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCP-001
View Post
by the way Avatar is a bigboxoffice failure

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

....HUH?

You do realize that's after three days, right?

- ocp-001 - 12-20-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark
View Post
....HUH?

You do realize that's after three days, right?

yes but it gives you an impression for the future weeks, the first weekend for a movie is the most important so if i do some calculations i expect it will do less than King Kong in 2005.

- adriandyka - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post
yes but it gives you an impression for the future weeks, the first weekend for a movie is the most important so if i do some calculations i expect it will do less than King Kong in 2005.

And what calculations might they be?

- greg clark - 12-20-2009

Since you haven't figured out where the shift key and period buttons are or when to use them, you'll forgive me if I doubt your prognostication abilities.

- phil - 12-20-2009

I heard the new Robocop will be in 3D.

- sebastian ob - 12-20-2009

Why is no one talking about that terrible music? White person jungle drums with "exotic" sounding caterwalling voices all set to James Horner's most mediocre orchestrations yet. Why does any time "noble savages" appear in a Hollywood film we get the same recycled LION KING crap? Why not try coming up with something that actually sounds, you know, alien? I would have actually welcomed a more electronic score. What we got was bullshit cinematic shorthand designed play up emotion the film wasn't earning.

- ray abed - 12-20-2009

Slater already summed up my feelings perfectly about those that didn't like the film and the reasons why. To all those that loved it, I'm not planning to take away your rush of euphoria anytime soon. The friend I went with described the film as "the best thing ever." I didn't want to rain on her parade, so I just smiled. So there's obviously something special in this film that's really clicking with people. It just didn't do it for me.

- Richard Dickson - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post
Had a hard time telling which Na'Vi were important? Here's a clue: only four of them got names.

And only four of them speak English.

- justin clark - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post

For a nearly 3 hours long completely original property that isn't opening in a summer month, that $73m isn't bad at all. And word of mouth is actually fairly strong.

But thanks for playing.

- phil - 12-20-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian OB
View Post
Why is no one talking about that terrible music? White person jungle drums with "exotic" sounding caterwalling voices all set to James Horner's most mediocre orchestrations yet. Why does any time "noble savages" appear in a Hollywood film we get the same recycled LION KING crap? Why not try coming up with something that actually sounds, you know, alien? I would have actually welcomed a more electronic score. What we got was bullshit cinematic shorthand designed play up emotion the film wasn't earning.

The music fit the rest of the film. Some Vangelis, otherworldly shit would have called too much attention to itself, given what the filmmakers were going for here.

- v.t. - 12-20-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slater
View Post
Oh, fuck off, fanboy. Finding problems with the story and characters doesn't mean we're dead inside. It means we were paying attention.

This 'angry, I know more than the rest of you' attitude has GOTTEN FUCKING OLD. Some dont know how to engage in a true discussion. Too busy preaching to the masses why you're right all the time. It doesnt come off as anything but sad. Goddamn Internet.

Last thing: actually just liking a film does NOT make one a fanboy. Gezzus!

Quote:

View Post

Not for a film released a week before Christmas. It's got back-to-back holiday weekends coming up as the only event film on the block. Take a look at its box office come January 11th before we pronounce it dead.

- justin clark - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post

Agreed that this isn't James Horner's finest hour or anything, but pretty much any time we hear the Na'Vi sing as a people is haunting, beautiful stuff. There's just not enough of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
The music fit the rest of the film. Some Vangelis, otherworldly shit would have called too much attention to itself, given what the filmmakers were going for here.

I totally disagree. I felt like whatever electronic piece they used for the second trailer was far more effective than what they went with. I wanted to be whisked away to a new world, not reminded by bullshit music cues how much this new world reflected ours.

The music for the big speech and the gathering of the clans was pretty stirring as well.

- phil - 12-20-2009

I got this one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.T.
View Post
This 'angry, I know more than the rest of you' attitude has GOTTEN FUCKING OLD. Some dont know how to engage in a true discussion. Too busy preaching to the masses why you're right all the time. It doesnt come off as anything but sad. Goddamn Internet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.T.
View Post
...sorry some have died inside to the point where Avatar cannot be enjoyed.

- phil - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post
I totally disagree. I felt like whatever electronic piece they used for the second trailer was far more effective than what they went with. I wanted to be whisked away to a new world, not reminded by bullshit music cues how much this new world reflected ours.

I don't think the score was any good, I'm just not sure why we expected it to rise above the middle-of-the-road creative at work through the rest of the film.

- pop zeus - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post
I wish there were more than eight species on Pandora. Would've been cool if there had been stuff just wandering in the background in some shots with no explanation as to what they were exactly.

Or how about another intelligent species that doesn't get along with the Na'vi and has their own relationship with the humans. That way, the 2nd act wouldn't be so boring and predictable. Or the 3rd act for that matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson
View Post
The music for the big speech and the gathering of the clans was pretty stirring as well.

And I could have rolled with those easy emotional cues if the score had been more adventurous on the whole.

I mean c'mon, for such an elaborate piece of world building you would think the music could have been a tad less pedestrian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
I don't think the score was any good, I'm just not sure why we expected fit to rise above the middle-of-the-road creative at work through the rest of the film.

Good point.

The score did its job. I didn't walk out of the theater humming it, but it certainly didn't detract from the experience either. It was the typical workmanlike score Horner can do in his sleep. Could it have been more inspired? Sure, but I don't think it drags the film down.

- hammerhead - 12-20-2009

The only time I found the music actively intrusive was during the big air battle. Too triumphant, too early, cutting into what suspense there was.

- jacknifejohnny - 12-20-2009

Quote:

View Post
The score did its job. I didn't walk out of the theater humming it, but it certainly didn't detract from the experience either. It was the typical workmanlike score Horner can do in his sleep. Could it have been more inspired? Sure, but I don't think it drags the film down.

Seems to me that this is applicable to just about every aspect of Avatar except the CGI; everything just "did its job", which is why I'm becoming increasingly glacial towards the film as a whole.

I think the actors were more than adequate in almost every case. They committed to the piece, which, between that and the FX, elevated the story.

Quote:

View Post

I don't think it drags the film down either. But for me, the cues were constantly evoking other big Hollywood scores and diminishing my sense of immersion.

I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of the film. I'm a story person, and for me the derivative nature of the whole production left me cold. I think for those enamored by elaborate world building, special effects and action, this was probably really satisfying. Which is really where the lines were drawn on the AVATAR debate from the very beginning.

- phil - 12-20-2009

The reviews are in!

"More than adequate"

"Did its job"

"who cares, enjoy yourselves"

"Serviceable"

"Serviceable"

"Serviceable"

It's not a reach to see why people were disappointed. Arguing otherwise is being stubborn.

It's a case of the film being greater than the sum of its parts. Describing the individual pieces, yeah, it sounds like it's not good. But seeing everything working in unison, the picture just works for some people. But I can see why it wouldn't for some. Not being stubborn about it at all.

- phil - 12-20-2009

That last bit wasn't aimed at you, Richard. Just at the battle lines in general.

- pop zeus - 12-20-2009

The problem I had with the score is that some of the big themes are rip offs of Horner's earlier, more inspired work. Couple that with the idea that hearing is a lot more closely aligned with long term memory than, say, sight (visuals), and you have a major element of the film that pulled me right out of the movie at the exact time I should've been pulled in.

Gotcha. I'd much rather see this discussion move towards why things did or didn't work than simply repeating the fact that it did or didn't work.

I think people around here are being pretty reasonable in general. There's the occasional weirdo calling people who enjoyed it less to be "dead inside", but that's to be expected.

- count floyd - 12-20-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata
View Post
People seem to think this movie needs to be the be-all, end-all. I saw it again with friends the other day and they loved it, a wide group of folks. It really does feel like the throughline of a lot of Cameron's stuff.

I still love it to death. I plan on doing a follow-up piece over the holidays.

To be honest, for the $20 IMAX ticket (NYC-style) it wouldn't hurt for it to at least be end-all or be-all. It was a little more forgettable for me than I had hoped, and I had almost no opinion and little foreknowledge of it going in. There is clearly a lot of passion in Cameron's effort to make the movie, but I was generally left wondering why.

I do think it is a more broadly appealing movie than some might have previously assumed, it's really not a testosterone-driven boy's-toys movie at all, at least until the end, but that finale is really dessert for everyone.

- parker - 12-20-2009

The movie is so fucking goofy. They're mining for something called "unobtanium?" I thought that was a joke at first, but then Paul Reiser 2.0 said it again and I chortled with laughter.

I admire Cameron for making a movie so blissfully uncool. Blue cat people have sex with animals with their tails so they can bond with them and ride them. The shot of the pterodactyl's eye going wide as Johnny Avatar threw down the dominance cracked me up. I enjoyed it, for what it was, but god damn is it riddled with cliches. I'm glad I saw it, although I think anyone describing it as an experience is pushing it a bit. I didn't even find the 3-D all that engaging (I didn't see it in IMAX, but the 3-D didn't allow me to take in the whole screen at times, and that distracted me more than filling me with any kind of awe).

I thought the effects were incredible, the designs fairly standard (lets give the horses two more legs!), and the story and characters less than average (in all honesty, the whole "link with our tails" thing was kinda neat, although how perfect is it that the Na'vi just happen to have a magic tree that links bodies? Need a new body? One Sigourney Salad, coming up!"Wink. At times when they were going into the jungle I really got caught up in the environments, and those were my favorite parts. I'm glad I saw it. I think its a fun B movie, nothing I ever need to see again. But it's technical aspects are definitely overcoming for its shortcomings.

Devin's Avatar Experience ... - busterg - 12-20-2009

I remember seeing TRAINSPOTTING in the theater, when I was barely able to stay awake. I managed to stay awake, but I thought it was a stupid movie.

When the friend who recommended it exressed incredulity at my reaction, I realized something was wrong, and went back to see it, only this time well-fed and rested. It wasn't a stupid movie ... I was just stupid from lack of sleep.

I'm not saying this was Devin's problem, but it very plausibly could have been. I THINK he saw it at Butt Numb A Thon, but I'm not sure, but Avatar screened at the very end of the festival, and he had probably been awake more than 24 hours BEFORE the film started! There's no way he could have given it a fair shake (whether or not the film deserves a fair shake is a seperate issue).

Devin, are you going to go see it at a proper screening, in a proper frame of mind? (If you haven't already, I mean).

I enjoyed the film, and loved the Alien Princess. I'll have to go see it in non 3D, so I can enjoy the Images (RealD is too dark and murky ... I can't believe that's what Cameron wanted it to look like).