The Trouble City Forums
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... (/showthread.php?tid=144220)

- MichaelM - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

It's cool that the Batman post release thread is PROTECTING me from spoilers.  Way to go Chud!

I didn't realize until now a post-release thread had been created. My bad. And I'm out.

- kleptomania - 07-16-2012

DARK KNIGHT RISES ENDING LEAKED!!!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a68048c801/dark-knight-rises-ending-leaked?playlist=featured_videos

- bailey - 07-16-2012

If I hadn't posted the old man Bruce Wayne pic recently, I'd definitely use it here.  So elaborately staged for such little payoff in the jokes department.

- martin blank - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockley View Post

The Guardian liked it (a bit spoilery) :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jul/16/the-dark-knight-rises-first-review

Gotta love British critics: "Cometh the hour, cometh the man." No American would've thought of that. (It's a famous cricket quote.)

- kleptomania - 07-16-2012

movet.jpg

- arturo rj - 07-16-2012

AAs the protecting this film goes, at least for me I'm not saying it will be a flawless film without any problems. I'm expecting it will be great but bet it will have some problems, Dark Knight had a bit of this and in my personal opinion this movie looks better. It might not have an as iconic performance by Hardy vs Ledger but I kind of dig that he's more stoic and physically intimidating. This will be an epic "war" movie that really questions whether any really survives, judging from the trailers and I dig that tone vs. TDK. I love the earlier film but it's more like Micheal Mann film, which is perfectly fine but like the idea of the high stakes in Rises which harkens to me more like Victor Hugo, than your basic crime film or comic book movie. All this being said it could suck but I highly doubt it also that negative review seemed off base like comparing it to transformers. That just ridiculous nothing I've seen comes close to that level of garbage! Anyway I'll throw no judgement of the movie till it gets released, but honestly I'm expecting something special.

- martin blank - 07-16-2012

Only review that's gonna matter is Patton Oswalt as Neill Cumpston.

"THE BATMAN KICKS ASS is a gigantic cock jizzing in your face for nine hours" and the like.

(Here's "Cumpston" on Here Comes Batman, uh, Batman Begins.)

- Felix - 07-16-2012

I have a feeling that those Novelization spoilers that leaked out a few weeks back were true.

- bailey - 07-16-2012

OK, everybody out of the pool. We've temporarily disabled comments on reviews for The Dark Knight Rises for a few days.

/sigh

- ska oreo - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

OK, everybody out of the pool. We've temporarily disabled comments on reviews for The Dark Knight Rises for a few days.

/sigh

This is going to be a terrible couple of weeks, isn't it?

- greg clark - 07-16-2012

I just have an image of Rotten Tomatoes, as a single entity, going "Alright, that's it, everybody out!" and that is cracking me up.

Shut up, I need this laugh today.

- dr harford - 07-16-2012

A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread#post_3358195"]

/sigh
[/quote]

What does that accomplish? Why did they block comments on reviews?

- bailey - 07-16-2012

Why did they block the comments?  Do you really need to ask that?

This is cool, though:

Just saw DARK KNIGHT RISES. I punched myself every time something awesome happened. Tweeting this from the hospital.

- carnotaur3 - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptomania View Post

DARK KNIGHT RISES ENDING LEAKED!!!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a68048c801/dark-knight-rises-ending-leaked?playlist=featured_videos

Hmm... didn't think Nolan would go there.

- parker - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

/sigh

z216181918.gif

N
O MORE BAD REVIEWS! (!CLAPCLAPYEAHCLAPCLAP!)

- rockley - 07-16-2012

Some reporting on the bat-shit Bat-fans:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/dark-knight-rises-critic-receives-death-threats#.UATUt_WgR8E

Quote:
Some commenters approached their death threats with a wink, quoting Bane's line to Batman that Fine's punishment "must be more severe" and that they didn't give him "permission to die" yet. Others were more direct in their hatred. One comment, since removed, kindly requested Fine "die in a fire." Another from "Jake B," showing remarkable restraint under the circumstances, just fantasized about beating Fine "with a thick rubber hose into a coma." Way to take the high road, Jake.

Several Rotten Tomatoes commenters vowed to destroy Fine's website, Hollywood and FIne, and they appear to have succeeded, at least temporarily; the site was unavailable for much of the afternoon, no doubt thanks to the massive influx of server-crushing traffic. As of 3:00 PM, the site was back up, and Fine's review ("The third Batman film in Nolan’s trilogy and also the weakest") was still standing.

In response to the threats, Rotten Tomatoes issued a tweet announcing that "comments that violate our TOS will get you banned from the site" (presumably telling someone to "die in a fire" falls under that category). Regardless, even with stricter enforcement of commenting guidelines, you can expect many more geeks to rise against Fine -- at least until another negative "Dark Knight Rises" review gets published.

I can't fathom the mentality. How do you make the leap from:
'You didn't like a movie that I like'  (or in this case; probably haven't even seen yet)
to
'You should die in a fire' ??

The world is full of crazy people.

- carnotaur3 - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockley View Post

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/dark-knight-rises-critic-receives-death-threats#.UATUt_WgR8E

'You didn't like a movie that I like'  (or in this case; probably haven't even seen yet)
to

The internet is also full of Trolls, which I'm willing to bet 90% of the crazy people were and the other remaining 10% are just actual crazy people or regular assholes.

A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread#post_3358201"]Why did they block the comments?  Do you really need to ask that?

This is cool, though:

Just saw DARK KNIGHT RISES. I punched myself every time something awesome happened. Tweeting this from the hospital.#holyfuck

[/quote]

I did need to ask, I had no idea death threats were a thing film reviewers got. Kind of makes you embarrassed to be a Batman fan.

- bailey - 07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

I did need to ask, I had no idea death threats were a thing film reviewers got. Kind of makes you embarrassed to be a Batman fan.

Ah, okay.  I thought it was common knowledge how crazy some of the fans are.  Sorry.

A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/50#post_3358237"]Ah, okay.  I thought it was common knowledge how crazy some of the fans are.  Sorry.
[/quote]

No problem. The more you know, right?

- rockley - 07-17-2012

Badass Digest has a review up (also quite spoliery):

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/17/movie-review-the-dark-knight-rises/

Quote:
The Dark Knight Rises is the most entertaining of Christopher Nolan’s Batfilms, but it is certainly not the best. Is it the worst? I’m not quite sure. I’m also not quite sure if it’s a bad film or not. The whole movie feels so like a series of contradictions - bloated and long yet rushed, deeply serious yet utterly silly, politically minded yet ultimately vapid - that being both wildly entertaining and a bad movie would be exactly right for it.

The review points out something that has seemed a bit odd to me, too:

The first half of the movie has Bruce pulling himself back together only to be broken again in the middle of the movie....seems a bit of a weird structure. Have to see it to know if it works I guess.

- don swoosh - 07-17-2012

If he's been out of practice for 8 years, why is it implausible that he'd get broken again?

- freeman - 07-17-2012

I think he's implying it's weird structurally that Batman has a rocky moment where he recovers from is time off, only to be broken, only to have yet ANOTHER Rocky section in which he recovers again.

Also, we pointed out over at Bad that in the Nolan films Batman only seems to exist for about a year.

- don swoosh - 07-17-2012

Yeah, the year argument I still don't get either.  Is it not probable that that year was enough of an emotional and physical tole on this version of the character?

Not to mention, from the very get go, this was a finite mission for Bruce.  While having not seeing the film yet, I can buy the notion that Bruce would hang it up after only being active for a little more than a year if everything his mission hinged on was about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with Dent and Rachel.  Because, at the end of the day, he's responsible for all of this...what happened to everyone.  To the city.  That's got to be emotionally devastating right?

Again, having not seen the picture, I don't know how it all plays.  Context is everything.  But, just from the general outline of the picture, I can buy it...right now.

- crackbaby - 07-17-2012

Well, the whole point was that Bruce wanted to galvanize Gotham into fighting against the crime and corruption that was choking the city. This had the unfortunate fact of creating the Joker which escalated the situation. But Batman triumphed by inspiring the people of Gotham not to destroy each other, to save themselves, while Harvey Dent was held up as the White Knight of Law and Order who stood up in the face of danger. This is why the Joker showed up in Harvey's hospital room and gave him the gun. He WANTED Harvey to kill him because it would validate the Jokers lawless, eye-for-an-eye/dog eat dog world view. The goal was to taint Harvey Dent and it worked as Two-face murdered those who wronged him. This is why Batman had to take the fall for his crimes. Dent's death would have been spinned into "Harvey Dent died fighting the vigilante murdered Batman" which is what brought about Gotham's time of peace in TDKR. At which point Batman was no longer needed.

I haven't seen the movie yet but the timeline is somewhat confusing. I was expecting for the film to open right after the end of TDK with a battered an bruised Batman being taken on by Bane, who I would have guessed was backing The Joker's crimes. I mean, sure, Joker had a bunch of crazy people working for him but I thought it would have been cool to have shown that Bane was pulling the strings which would have added to his credibility as the Blofeld of Nolan's Batman series. Bane breaks the Bat, records it and shows it to Gotham whose citizens believe Batman is now dead. Bane uses that act to build an army while using class warfare as the catalyst with him as the Revolutionary leader. What would have strengthened this idea is if Harvey Dent's death was not only used to push for more tougher law enforcement but to tip Gotham over into a totalitarian police state.

This would have helped Banes cause as he gathered an underground network of allies made up of the working class, the poor and criminals who feel that they're being stepped on by the social elite. Like the Tea Party, these people are being manipulated to follow a cause but unlike the Tea Party, whose members are being duped into helping the rich get richer, Banes goal is to use them to help tear Gotham apart under the guise of "Freedom".

- rando - 07-17-2012

So Bruce has only been Batman for about a year before he up and quits huh?  That's a lot of Liam Neeson lecturing for nothing.

- crackbaby - 07-17-2012

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockley View Post

'You didn't like a movie that I like' (or in this case; probably haven't even seen yet)
to

KILLHIM.png

- Felix - 07-17-2012

Devin's review is up

He hated Bane. Loved Anne Hathaway.

- Evi - 07-17-2012

Eh, Devin's a fantastic reviewer but I almost never see eye to eye with him when it comes to these sorts of movies.

- wd40 - 07-17-2012

I often agree with Devin.  His review is about what I expected.  Honestly, I am not a big Nolan fan to begin with - especially his bat-flicks, particularly because I have the same underlying issue with all Nolan movies.  So, I go into his stuff more pessimistic and objective than other directors.

As a person that found his first two bat-movies good at best; I expected to be a big fan of this one, while everyone else hated it.  Nope, the trend may continue still. I am so close to indifference for this movie, I may go see Spiderman instead and wait until the droves of assholes, MMA wannabes and emo kids have seen it.  As disgruntled as I may sound, I will still see it.  I expect to enjoy it somewhat. I am just not shitting my pants in anticipation of it.  In fact, I doubt I would care if I rented it. (which I am tempted to do for Spiderman)

- Richard Dickson - 07-17-2012

I'm still not getting why Batman would up and quit for EIGHT YEARS.  There's so much mileage in him continuing the fight even as the city has been turned against him.  It's a sort of defeatist attitude that's totally not in character.

- chris spider - 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Eh, Devin's a fantastic reviewer but I almost never see eye to eye with him when it comes to these sorts of movies.

Same. His insistence on bringing strict real-world political readings into the reviews doesn't help (I still roll my eyes at his assertion that TDK defends Bush and the Patriot Act). His lukewarm feelings don't surprise me at all.

Patton Oswalt's enthusiasm is quite encouraging, methinks. And I'm just getting to the point where I've stopped caring about negative reviews of films I'm interested in seeing. Of course I'm going to keep staying away from something like Battleship when it gets slammed. Something like this, I prefer to make up my own mind.

- andrew merriweather - 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

(I still roll my eyes at his assertion that TDK defends Bush and the Patriot Act).

I love TDK, but that subtext is absolutely there and Chris Nolan is a very conservative guy.

- ska oreo - 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

I'm still not getting why Batman would up and quit for EIGHT YEARS.  There's so much mileage in him continuing the fight even as the city has been turned against him.  It's a sort of defeatist attitude that's totally not in character.

Keep in mind that this is the same Batman that tried to pass the torch and retire the last film as well. Unlike his comic-book counterpart, Nolan-bats realizes this is a fight that he can't fight forever. I'd imagine that the Harvey Dent act, as well as his own injuries from the last film, determined his retirement.

- wd40 - 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Agreed.  Also, doesn't it kind of negate his entire rant at the end of Dark Knight?  It has been a while, so it may not be very fresh in my mind.  However, doesn't Batman take the fall and more or less say "Gotham can hunt me instead..."  Perhaps I am misremembering, but moping over a chick isn't very martyr-esque.  I guess I look back on the new James Bond and see how well they handled that aspect.  It clearly affected Bond.  It hardened him and gave him incentive to soldier on.