The Trouble City Forums
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... (/showthread.php?tid=144220)

- jhp1608 - 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnDirtyApe View Post

Did they say why he wore the mask in the movie? I ask because there are a few people I work with who have differing (and grisly) views on why Bane wears the mask:

- one lady thinks it's because he has no jaw and needs the mask to speak.

- one guy thinks the mask holds his face together. Like some sort of pressure chamber.

I just assumed it constantly feeds him morphine/anasthetic due to the lingering effects of the beating he took.

I thought one of Bruce's prison companions said something along the lines that it kept the pain just enough at bay for Bane to function, but I may be misremembering or conflating an explanation I heard outside of the script.

- MichaelM - 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Trailer for The Dark Knight Returns Part I: http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/07/31/exclusive-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-trailer/

On one hand, that looks fantastic. Very cool.

OTOH....I have the graphic novel. I'm not sure I need it animated.

- jhp1608 - 07-31-2012

I remember some criticism of the internal logic of the prison - that it was too easily escapable had they knocked up a grappling hook system or something. Judging by this behind the scenes picture, the climb is intense.

Bearing in mind the prisoners are not likely to get much sustenance down there, I can well imagine the number of successful attempts to scale the walls would be somewhat low.

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

The movie never made the climb seem that long.  More teleporting!

- rfahey - 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I thought one of Bruce's prison companions said something along the lines that it kept the pain just enough at bay for Bane to function, but I may be misremembering or conflating an explanation I heard outside of the script.

That is what one of the prisoners said.  I think he was seriously injured in the prison fight that started during Talia's climb, then the doctor tried to repair the damage but only made it worse (didn't they say that he was a morphine addict or something?), then they gave him the mask so that he could function.

- cylon baby - 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I think that rope was just a tad too short, and that's why no one could make the leap!

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

So when are we gonna get the side-scrolling platformer for TDKR?  I wanna relive that scene where Bruce jumps from one platform to the other!

- jhp1608 - 07-31-2012

Quote:

I think there was plenty of visual information implying the length and difficulty of the climb!

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

Homercles cares not for mere visual information!  I require evocation!!!

I get why it was done the way it was done.  Obviously, seeing the whole climb would add too much time to an already long movie.  But the climb never came across daunting since all of the emphasis was put on the jump at the end.

I don't actually really care though.  Hahahahah

- andrew merriweather - 07-31-2012

Nooj is out of control in this thread. He's like a dog chasing cars!

- whiteboy jones - 07-31-2012

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

That's basically been my response to all of the DTDVD DC (TOO MANY LETTERS) animated films. Hollow reenactment, the lot of them.

- greg clark - 07-31-2012

Not to mention...WHY are they splitting up The Dark Knight Returns into TWO films? Other than it seems like the thing to do these days.

They seem to have a weird fixation on their movies never ever ever going longer than seventy-five minutes. Even though that's apparently enough to do All-Star Superman (it soooooo isn't), they want to do TDKR justice. But there's too much in that book for seventy-five minutes, so two movies is of course the obvious solution.

- neoolong - 07-31-2012

I thought it was a budget issue.  The budget they're given isn't enough to do anything longer than 75 minutes a pop.

- MichaelM - 07-31-2012

Quote:

But the climb never came across daunting since all of the emphasis was put on the jump at the end.

Nolan did show us more than one guy attempting the climb previous....and no successes. That shorthand did not work for you. It did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I don't actually really care though.  Hahahahah

Jerky McJerkison!

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

On my tombstone, it'll read:

"DIDN'T THINK TDKR WAS ALL THAT"

Nyaaaaah!

- carnotaur3 - 07-31-2012

Ohhhh Mcnooj! You rascal, you.

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

I'm just jealous is all.

- carnotaur3 - 07-31-2012

Quote:

I'm just jealous is all.

Finally, something we can agree on.

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

I'm taking you all down with me.

- kyle reese - 07-31-2012

There was an article on Collider a few months ago where a production/costume designer or someone like that said that the metal tubes in Bane's mask feed into his jawline, constantly releasing anaesthetic. It was the same article that spoiled Liam Neeson for me.

Ah, here it is: http://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-bane-wanted-poster/167422/

So, presumably he'd need to be popping in fresh anaesthetic charges frequently...good thing those CIA jerks couldn't hold him, he'd be freakin' out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

I thought it was a budget issue.  The budget they're given isn't enough to do anything longer than 75 minutes a pop.

I guess that would make sense. I would ask why they don't just, I dunno, not do another one for the year in order to beef up the one movie, but again, it'll make them more money this way.

- dr harford - 07-31-2012

It's really weird how Bane talks about growing up in the dark, ETC, and when we get to the prison it's got a moderate level of gloom, but it's also fairly sun drenched from that giant opening in the ceiling. That stuck out at me even on the first watch through. "This is NOT a prison in which someone would grow up and never see the light".

Quote:

I remember some criticism of the internal logic of the prison - that it was too easily escapable had they knocked up a grappling hook system or something. Judging by this behind the scenes picture, the climb is intense.

Bearing in mind the prisoners are not likely to get much sustenance down there, I can well imagine the number of successful attempts to scale the walls would be somewhat low.

That does look fairly intimidating, even with the easy path to the top. I wonder why they didn't shoot in that way in the movie then? Because on film it looked like an extremely easy climb. I'm no mountaineer, but I've done some indoor rock climbing on walls where I'd have killed for a hold as clean and easy as can be found in abundance in Bane's prison wall.

Also, as a climber I was constantly aware that the falls Wayne sustained on that hemp rope should have broken his spine far worse than anything Bane ever did. Proper climbing rope has give to it. That rope would just stop you dead and break you like a twig. That was less of a big deal to me than the fact the wall looked so easy to climb.

- neoolong - 07-31-2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

It's really weird how Bane talks about growing up in the dark, ETC, and when we get to the prison it's got a moderate level of gloom, but it's also fairly sun drenched from that giant opening in the ceiling. That stuck out at me even on the first watch through. "This is NOT a prison in which someone would grow up and never see the light".

Perhaps he was speaking metaphorically.

- harleyquinn22 - 07-31-2012

Quote:

Doesn't he have huge scars down his spine visible in particular when he is kneeling down in the sewer hideout and Gordon's brought in? Not that this necessarily identifies the injury. It could just have been quick visual evidence of just how slapdash the prison doctor's work was.

Or they could be scars from that fight he got into when Talia made her escape.

- kyle reese - 07-31-2012

The Evil Warlord usually kept a tarp over it. Then held it down with a couple cinderblocks. Escape was impossible.

- bigmclargehuge - 07-31-2012

Quote:

This is anything Animated DC in a nutshell.

- hypnotoad - 07-31-2012

Quote:

Something about the animation on this makes Weller's voice seem too small. It's like they've over-animated Batman's mouth or something. And Gordon sounded like he had a southern accent.

Hopefully it'll be worth a watch, but I'm pretty happy with the comic and the short Ironside-voiced take on the material from the Batman animated series.

A[quote name="neoolong" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/1500#post_3366660"]Quote:

Perhaps he was speaking metaphorically.
[/quote]

No, pretty sure he was speaking literally. When discussing the use of shadow as an advantage in combat during his first fight with Batman, and then looking at the sun and taking about how he had not seen the light till he was a man and escaped prison. That the prison was mostly devoid of light, Riddick style, seemed to be a plot point.

- Nooj - 07-31-2012

"I do reckon I'll be quite a formidable adversary in the dark, darlin'.  Once I escape this dadgummed prison, that is.  BUH-KAW!!!"

http://ulule.me/projects/1992/unlit-a-dark-cartoon-1.jpeg

- jhp1608 - 07-31-2012

A[quote name="HarleyQuinn22" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/1500#post_3366661"]
Or they could be scars from that fight he got into when Talia made her escape.  
[/quote]

Isn't that the same fight the botched surgery followed, though. In other words, two aspects of the same event?

Ach, it's not that important...

- jhp1608 - 07-31-2012

A[quote name="Dr Harford" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/1500#post_3366727"]
No, pretty sure he was speaking literally. When discussing the use of shadow as an advantage in combat during his first fight with Batman, and then looking at the sun and taking about how he had not seen the light till he was a man and escaped prison. That the prison was mostly devoid of light, Riddick style, seemed to be a plot point.[/quote]

I read it either way, although now I'm enjoying the rather amusing thought that had the Pit indeed been devoid of light, we'd have had a central 15 minute section in pitch darkness punctuated only by some dialogue and the occasional sound of people scrabbling up a wall and falling off.

"D'oh"

- Bucho - 07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

Nooj is out of control in this thread. He's like a dog chasing cars!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

What I've always loved about Nooj is he's never a guy you'd have to ask "Why so serious?". Mofo has perspective up the wazoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

That does look fairly intimidating, even with the easy path to the top. I wonder why they didn't shoot in that way in the movie then? Because on film it looked like an extremely easy climb.

I agree with this and with the point about how each time Bruce fell and that rope snapped tight around his healing back I winced more than I did at any time Bane smashed him with his meaty Banefists. I know the dialogue told us it was practically impossible to escape and I know they showed us a couple of saps failing miserably but the mise-en-scène (that means "mice on screen" for those of you who don't speak France-ese) never sold it as being as daunting as that photo makes it look.

As much as I was one of those who had a blast with the film overall, I found all of the prison stuff very underwhelming. From Bruce's treatment and recovery to his mulitple escape attempts, that was the only time during the 2:40 I felt the movie dragging its ass.

Well, that and when Bruce decides to have a chat with Talia, and then with Selina, and then with Gordon, while A NUCLEAR TIME BOMB counts down into its final minutes a mere few yards way.

- neoolong - 07-31-2012

They really should have had a shot of Bruce looking up the well which showed just how far up it went.

Cause yeah, it looked much shorter in the movie.