The Trouble City Forums
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread..... (/showthread.php?tid=144220)



- ben grimm - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I'm with you here and really don't understand these people who had difficulty with his vocals. Bane's voice was the best thing in the movie for me and this is from someone who initially had misgivings about it, as I'd become used to the traditional South American accent used in the cartoons. If I was at a party with Tom Hardy, you can bet I'd get him to say funny things using that awesome voice.

Some of that may be to blame on theaters with shitty sound systems. I've had trouble understanding regular dialogue in some of the crappier theaters I've been to.




- schwartz - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

I'm not wild about Terry McGinnis either, but at least he still had Wayne providing tech, resources, and expertise.

Why couldn't Blake then?




- MrSaxon - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post

Some of that may be to blame on theaters with shitty sound systems. I've had trouble understanding regular dialogue in some of the crappier theaters I've been to.

Ah, I see. I’m probably spoilt for choice seeing as I have a top-end multi-screen around ten minutes from my door and there’s an IMAX less than thirty minutes away.




- neoolong - 12-04-2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

I'm not wild about Terry McGinnis either, but at least he still had Wayne providing tech, resources, and expertise.

He's also biologically Bruce Wayne.


Terry was also a teen without training.  Blake was at the very least a trained cop on his way to detective.




- naisu baddi - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Ah, I see. I’m probably spoilt for choice seeing as I have a top-end multi-screen around ten minutes from my door and there’s an IMAX less than thirty minutes away.

I saw it in IMAX too, and I just think there's no way to get around some of his dialog being muffled by the mask and the fact that the filmmakers probably had to do special ADR/mixing that they wouldn't have had to do if he hadn't been a guy talking with a bulky mask that covers his mouth.

I got used to it once the trailers came out and while I watching the movie, but in the end, I think the final word should be that the design of the mask was seriously faulty, both aesthetically and functionally.

As I said when the movie was first released, the thing that bummed me out most was the fact that Hardy obviously had some really excellent dialog and was clearly giving the performance his all, but the mask still hobbled him. It really took me out of the movie at times, having to strain to make his words out.




- grubstreeter - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Why couldn't Blake then?


Because Wayne's playing house with Catwoman and all the money's gone.




- MrSaxon - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisu Baddi View Post

I saw it in IMAX too, and I just think there's no way to get around some of his dialog being muffled by the mask and the fact that the filmmakers probably had to do special ADR/mixing that they wouldn't have had to do if he hadn't been a guy talking with a bulky mask that covers his mouth.

I got used to it once the trailers came out and while I watching the movie, but in the end, I think the final word should be that the design of the mask was seriously faulty, both aesthetically and functionally. As I said when the movie was first released, the thing that bummed me out most was the fact that Hardy obviously had some really excellent dialog and was clearly giving the performance his all, but the mask still hobbled him. It really took me out of the movie at times, having to strain to make his words out.

I actually didn’t see in IMAX (for shame!!!) as the screenings weren’t at an ideal time for me. I don’t recall having any issues with hearing him although the plane section did make his voice seem unnaturally loud.

You’re right about the design of the mask being faulty. I recall hearing in one of the behind-the-scene segments they released that the mask was physically painful for Hardy and he was praised for wearing it for long periods of shooting.




- schwartz - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post


Because Wayne's playing house with Catwoman and all the money's gone.

I don't see that as an insurmountable hurdle for a half-decent writer.  Hell, even a bad one.

Rises didn't set up a Beyond scenario directly, but it left it within easy reach.  It would require walking back the resolution with Catwoman, but no direct retconning.

Bear in mind, WB is not going to do this, and it would probably be stupid of them to even consider it, but that comes down to marketing considerations more than narrative ones.




- grubstreeter - 12-04-2012

You're correct, the story could continue. Many things are possible in superhero stories.

I'm just a stubborn old fan. Bruce Wayne is Batman dangnabit!

Nolan's interpretation of Batman does not match my own, but I still love the first two films in the series, and love what Nolan brought to it.




- MichaelM - 12-04-2012

Naisu, I just have to assume that either 1) the theater you saw it in has horrible audio or 2) your hearing isn't that great (or 3) both). I don't mean that in a snarky, assholish way. I saw it three times theatrically, one of them in faux IMAX, and never had a problem understanding Bane's dialogue (anymore than I have normal dialogue in just about any film). It's a shame that it wasn't working, for whatever reason, during your screening, because Hardy's delivery was fantastic.




- shaun h - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

Because Wayne's playing house with Catwoman and all the money's gone.

Actually, all the money would've come back per Fox (and went to Alfred per the will). There's wiggling room to funnel Blake the resources, story-wise.

And I think the amount of circles we've run with this film are starting to cause me nausea but I'll say that the only line I had a hard time understanding Bane on was in his exchange with Daggett ("Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on."). He sounds like he has a bit of a cold when he says it and it makes it kind of mumbly.

On a positive note, I can't wait to take this home and let it rape my sound system, much in the same way it raped nooj's eyes.




- don swoosh - 12-04-2012

The audio track on the Blu Ray is earth shattering.  Warn the neighbors.




- gabe t - 12-04-2012

Guys, can we get real about something? "Batman Beyond" pretty much sucks, let's stop discussing it.




- schwartz - 12-04-2012

It may suck, but I don't think it's because the basic concept is so bad.  It's a different take on Batman, which I'm ready for at this point.

But then, I think The Dark Knight Returns is fairly shitty.  What do I know.




- grubstreeter - 12-04-2012

I was never wild about Batman Beyond, but I have to say this:

If you're enough of a Batman fan to be reading this thread, and you haven't seen Return of the Joker, drop what you're doing, get your hands on the the original uncut version, and watch it.

About halfway through there's a flashback to the final confrontation between the DCAU Batman and the Joker, and it is fucking amazing.




- d.t. - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

I was never wild about Batman Beyond, but I have to say this:

If you're enough of a Batman fan to be reading this thread, and you haven't seen Return of the Joker, drop what you're doing, get your hands on the the original uncut version, and watch it.

About halfway through there's a flashback to the final confrontation between the DCAU Batman and the Joker, and it is fucking amazing.

Sadly, everything before and after is pretty lame. But yeah -- the sequence you're talking about is pretty great.




- naisu baddi - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Naisu, I just have to assume that either 1) the theater you saw it in has horrible audio or 2) your hearing isn't that great (or 3) both). I don't mean that in a snarky, assholish way. I saw it three times theatrically, one of them in faux IMAX, and never had a problem understanding Bane's dialogue (anymore than I have normal dialogue in just about any film). It's a shame that it wasn't working, for whatever reason, during your screening, because Hardy's delivery was fantastic.

I appreciate you trying to put that delicately. I don't think I'm alone on this, though. Even if you and most of the folks on CHUD will insist that the voice was pretty easy to decipher, I've still read various comments about the movie online from people saying they were about 50/50 on it...hearing him clearly half the time, and struggling a little the rest of the time.

I think the fact that we are even debating this at all (and I'm sure we're not the only ones) is evidence that the Bane dialogue wasn't pristine all of the time. I know what you're talking about in praising it. There were definitely moments where I could understand what he was saying and I loved what he said and how he said it (i.e. his speech in front of the prison), but his words didn't come out with the consistent clarity of lines delivered by any character in the movie not wearing a big muzzle over the mouth.




- ska oreo - 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

Guys, can we get real about something? "Batman Beyond" pretty much sucks, let's stop discussing it.


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  YOU'RE JUST FUCKING WRONG, GABE!!!




- cylon baby - 12-04-2012

I liked the Pilot and the Return of the Joker episodes of Batman Beyond (esp the "Joker Gang" in the former), but never watched the rest of the series. I liked the basic concept but the new "Big Bad" was just kind of "meh".




- sebastian ob - 12-04-2012

Man, this Blu Ray is sweet.




- shaun h - 12-05-2012

How did I never realize up until now that the imagery of the well Bruce's dad descends into and the pit he climbs out of visually have so much in common?

Also, I grabbed the Best Buy Steel Book (ugh) version of this because it came with an exclusive documentary (The Dark Knight Reborn). Here I thought I had to buy the broken cowl LE to get it (which showed up from Amazon), so I'm happy that I get to send it back and save some dough.




- harleyquinn22 - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

And I think the amount of circles we've run with this film are starting to cause me nausea but I'll say that the only line I had a hard time understanding Bane on was in his exchange with Daggett ("Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on."). He sounds like he has a bit of a cold when he says it and it makes it kind of mumbly.

That is the one line that took me three viewings to understand.  And hilariously enough, my joy at finally hearing the line clearly was immediately undercut by my sister leaning over and asking me what the fuck Bane just said because she couldn't understand it.




- Nooj - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

How did I never realize up until now that the imagery of the well Bruce's dad descends into and the pit he climbs out of visually have so much in common?

I'm pretty sure they even flash to the shot from Begins of Thomas Wayne pulling him up!

I'd go, "How the hell did you miss that???"

But I miss stuff all the time.

But you know why you probably missed it?

It's because this movie is awful and didn't communicate shit properly.  Ohohohoho




- shaun h - 12-05-2012

Can't no nooj hold me down! Oh, no! I got to keep on mooo-vin'!




- darkmite8 - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Man, this Blu Ray is sweet.


I gotta wait till Christmas. Sad




- Nooj - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Can't no nooj hold me down! Oh, no! I got to keep on mooo-vin'!

You'll fight harder and you'll win.  YOU ALWAYS HAVE!




- workyticket - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Swoosh View Post

The audio track on the Blu Ray is earth shattering.  Warn the neighbors.

Yeah, if you've got a 5.1 speaker system cranking it up is mandatory, it sounds incredible. I was convinced at one point that Tom Hardy's voice was going to make our sub pogo on the spot.




- sebastian ob - 12-05-2012

I have put this movie under a microscope now and I am honestly, genuinely baffled that anyone thinks this is a bad movie.




- greg clark - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

I have put this movie under a microscope now and I am honestly, genuinely baffled that anyone thinks this is a bad movie.

Flawed, sure, but I'll never in a zillion years see how it's "bad". If anything else, it did something different with the comic book mythos, unafraid to break from tradition and give a superhero a conclusion. I guess thinking outside the box wins it some goodwill for me. Enough for me to overlook-slightly-how fucking terrible Matthew Modine is in this, both performance and character.




- workyticket - 12-05-2012

Whoa, rein it in with all this positivity, guys. Do you know what you're calling onto yourselves?




- ska oreo - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

I have put this movie under a microscope now and I am honestly, genuinely baffled that anyone thinks this is a bad movie.

SO YOU MEAN LIKE DEVIN (OHMYGODISAIDHISNAMEOHGOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!)

But you're right--it's not a bad movie; but it's fucking flawed as shit and most of my frustration comes from me loving The Dark Knight so much and having to contend that Rises is  "decent." But as a book end to a trilogy--it's no Spiderman 3.




- agracru - 12-05-2012

It's not bad. But it's flawed. And I strongly, strongly dislike it for its flaws, but mostly for its politics.

I get liking it. I just don't. Which also means I'm not going to muster up much energy to defend it from suggestions that it actually is bad. (Not that it needs my defending. Plenty of other people will stick up for it happily instead of begrudgingly.)




- schwartz - 12-05-2012

And even Spiderman 3 is no X3, so there's that, I guess.

It's not a terrible movie, but it is overstuffed and too much of the climax is at odds with the grounded aesthetic the series has worked so hard on for it to really work for me.




- sebastian ob - 12-05-2012

Hey, I've always been positive on this movie. But that's because I have this weird ability to recognize that sometimes movies can be not absolutely perfect and still be good movies overall.




- workyticket - 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Hey, I've always been positive on this movie. But that's because I have this weird ability to recognize that sometimes movies can be not absolutely perfect and still be good movies overall.

Dammit, out of rep. Ghost rep for now!