The Trouble City Forums
SKYFALL Post-Release - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: SKYFALL Post-Release (/showthread.php?tid=145354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35


- mike's pants - 10-28-2012

Yeah you're right actually. Now I have a headache...




- chrknudsen - 10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Swoosh View Post

Well, there's been six years between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall so who knows how many adventures Bond's had with it, how many tweaks he's done to it since he won it in Casino Royale.

I like to imagine that he's had no assignments from MI6 and has just spent all his time in the garage pimping his ride...




- don swoosh - 10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrknudsen View Post

I like to imagine that he's had no assignments from MI6 and has just spent all his time in the garage pimping his ride...

Absolutely!




- don swoosh - 10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

Yeah you're right actually. Now I have a headache...

Sorry about that.  Still, it's an obvious call back to the past but in the context of Craig's tenure as Bond, we did see how he got the thing.  And since it's been six years, it's not out of the question he pimped this thing out...just waiting for the right time for it to be needed.




- mike's pants - 10-28-2012

Heh, no worries. Of all the continuities to pick apart the Bond one is the most fun.

Spoilers....

A question for those who've seen it. What did you think of the peak into Bond's past? I thought it was fun seeing that he had his own 'Alfred'.




- ken savage - 10-28-2012

SPOILERS!!!!

Loved it.  Pierce  is still "my" Bond but damn that was a fun ride.  I said the same thing on Facebook but this film did a great job of striking the perfect balance between old and new.

A couple of minor nitpicks.  The car is defiantly supposed to be the one from Royal as he makes a reference to all company cars being tagged (hence using his own).  So all the Goldfinger gadgetry was a bit confusing.  (Although like you guys I like to imagine he pimped it himself.)#

And I still hate the new Q.  He is far to much like Moss from the IT crowd for my liking.

However, Ralph Finnes as the new M is perfect.

This film did a much better job of celebrating Bond than Die Another Day did.




- The Dark Shape - 10-28-2012

AI think Bond just kept the car from Goldfinger. There have been a number of years between Quantum of Solace and this film -- there's no reason to think he hasn't had some variation of all those earlier adventures by this point.


- mr. stockslivevan - 10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

I think Bond just kept the car from Goldfinger. There have been a number of years between Quantum of Solace and this film -- there's no reason to think he hasn't had some variation of all those earlier adventures by this point.

That's kinda how I've been thinking it might be. That he had similar adventures during the six years between QOS and SF. Still, with this reboot I think it's safe to say it's the same car he won in CR, then throughout the years had it modified by Q branch.




- MrSaxon - 10-28-2012

Now I really want the screenwriters to explain in an interview about that car because I need a definitive answer, damnit.




- chrknudsen - 10-28-2012

I suppose the stuff Mendes has been saying about Skyfall ending up where Dr. No begins makes Skyfall a prequel, so the car isn't the car from Goldfinger. The car in Goldfinger is the car from Skyfall! I think Bond needs to end up with a time machine in the next outing for this chronology to make any sense.




- mike's pants - 10-28-2012

Fuck it. Put Daniel Craig in X-Men: Days of Futures Past and we'll clear everything up. THE ANSWER WILL BE OURS!




- ken savage - 10-28-2012

I think if the car didn't play such a part in the climax it wouldn't even bug me, but it's still a nitpick nothing more.




- The Dark Shape - 10-28-2012

AHaving the "continuity" run Casino Royale-Quantum of Solace, then Dr. No-thru-Die Another Day, and finally Skyfall makes it work. There are quirks, like Moneypenny, but who cares? There's nothing to say Q in Skyfall is Major Boothroyd. The dude could simply be replacing Cleese's Q.


- mr. stockslivevan - 10-28-2012

I remember at one point he was going to be called B (for Boothroyd) but somewhere along the line they finally decided just to call him Q.




- Judas Booth - 10-28-2012

I'm just waiting for the next film to state that James Bond is from the planet Zeist.  Fuck continuity.




- dr harford - 10-28-2012

AFor those who have seen it, without spoiling anything what do you think of Daniel Kleinman's Skyfall title sequence?


- leederick - 10-28-2012

.


- filmnerdjamie - 10-28-2012




- mike's pants - 10-29-2012

A[quote name="leederick" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/50#post_3411593"]Okay. It won't be on any best of lists. It was a bit non-traditional - very 3 dimensional, with the camera tracking forward, rather than having a flatter look. The purists won't like the serious lack of naked women in silhouette. I imagine the consensus will be it was one of the poorer sequences.
[/quote]

Agreed. I understand the reasoning behind the visuals but the sequence is a little lacklustre.


- MrSaxon - 10-29-2012

Wow. I LOVED the Skyfall title sequence! It was one of my favorites from the entire Bond franchise!




- jhp1608 - 10-29-2012

ASeen it. Have Imax tickets in ten days but didn't fancy the wait.

I'll let it sink in some more but first impressions are that it's solid. Good performance from Craig and Drench, and the supporting characters. Story is okay if a bit ill defined. I didn't like the Bond is back conceit and the villain motivation felt a bit borrowed and uninspired. Making the stakes personal seemed a bit off somehow almost making it feel strangely small scale. Also, it felt like a bit of a tease setting up classic Bond for the next film. Almost like it's one film too many doing that. Great set pieces, though.

Bardem is good, but found certain aspects of his characterisation a bit, well, outdated. Which given they haven't been explicit with anything along these lines before might seem an odd conclusion. Almost felt Fleming-esque, but not in a good way.

Also, hated the DB5 bits. Oddly incoherent given the pains they went to in rebooting him only two films ago. The sort of thing that probably won't bother people but really wound me up. Also the last scenes bugged me. It's fan service, in a way and that's fine but I didn't buy the reset. Maybe I'm just a grouch.

I've been oblique on spoilers. How are we treating them given the US hasn't seen it yet?


- MrSaxon - 10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post


I've been oblique on spoilers. How are we treating them given the US hasn't seen it yet?

As long as they don't appear in the section of your post where they can be viewed on the main forum screen, spoilers are good here.




- MrSaxon - 10-30-2012

Watched this for a second time last night, with a much larger audience than before and it was a riot. The movie stands up to repeated viewings and the audience were very vocal in their approval (lots of laughs in the right places for example, and a few people clapping at the end). I still think Casino Royale is the better movie but I’m looking forward to adding this to my collection when it’s available for home viewing.




- paul allen - 10-30-2012

Saw it last night and... I'm sorry to say... I didn't love it. Don't know if it was the unanimous BEST BOND EVAR I've been hearing, or the less serious CASINO ROYALE tone but it was de

LIKES:

 * Undoubtedly the prettiest Bond flick. Rodger Deakins knocks every out of the fucking park - some of the shots were draw dropping (Bond falling into the ice for one stands out)

 * Bardem - I wanted more of him. More of his physical deformity , more of him turning the screw on M, more of his games with Bond on that island

 * The opening mission - gripping throughout. Craigs "cuff straightenning" might have been overplayed in the trailers but it's still great.

 * the overly long London stop aside, the movie moves at such a pace you barely notice its running time.

DISLIKES:

 * dropped plot threads - the NOC list (or whatever) gets released on youtube then... nothing? Bond totally flubs his physical and then... he's back to his best? Whats the deal with the shrapnel in his shoulder – did I miss something or did they go from “I knifed metal crap from my shoulder” to “the radiation of the metal crap in my shoulder means we must find this random terrorist who looks like the guy I fought earlier”?

 * tedious foreshadowing - M doesn’t care about whatshisface getting shot - guess what happens!

 * finale stupidity – I like the idea of a penned in Bond going STRAW DOGS, but do they have to establish the underground tunnel and not do anything with it until it’s time to outrun a fireball? Hey M – two things: keep your torch off if you’re running away from madmen at night, and you probably can’t walk off a gunshot if you’ve spent the previous 90 minutes talking about retirement

That sounds rantier than I was hoping. I did enjoy the movie, it’s definitely worth checking out. Blame it on unrealistic expectations I guess…




- mike's pants - 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post

Saw it last night and... I'm sorry to say... I didn't love it. Don't know if it was the unanimous BEST BOND EVAR I've been hearing, or the less serious CASINO ROYALE tone but it was de

LIKES:

 * Undoubtedly the prettiest Bond flick. Rodger Deakins knocks every out of the fucking park - some of the shots were draw dropping (Bond falling into the ice for one stands out)

 * Bardem - I wanted more of him. More of his physical deformity , more of him turning the screw on M, more of his games with Bond on that island

 * The opening mission - gripping throughout. Craigs "cuff straightenning" might have been overplayed in the trailers but it's still great.

 * the overly long London stop aside, the movie moves at such a pace you barely notice its running time.

DISLIKES:

 * dropped plot threads - the NOC list (or whatever) gets released on youtube then... nothing? Bond totally flubs his physical and then... he's back to his best? Whats the deal with the shrapnel in his shoulder – did I miss something or did they go from “I knifed metal crap from my shoulder” to “the radiation of the metal crap in my shoulder means we must find this random terrorist who looks like the guy I fought earlier”?

 * tedious foreshadowing - M doesn’t care about whatshisface getting shot - guess what happens!

 * finale stupidity – I like the idea of a penned in Bond going STRAW DOGS, but do they have to establish the underground tunnel and not do anything with it until it’s time to outrun a fireball? Hey M – two things: keep your torch off if you’re running away from madmen at night, and you probably can’t walk off a gunshot if you’ve spent the previous 90 minutes talking about retirement

That sounds rantier than I was hoping. I did enjoy the movie, it’s definitely worth checking out. Blame it on unrealistic expectations I guess…

Yeah, the hype may sour it for some people.

Most of your dislikes are hard to argue with, though for me they are only really apparent after the fact.

Bond being "past his prime" probably shouldn't have been a plot point to begin with. Twenty minutes later he is fucking folk up.




- chrknudsen - 10-30-2012

Here's another plot point I feel they could have fleshed out and actually used a bit more... They certainly seemed to be building to something with it:

- The film starts with Bond having to leave another agent to die on orders from M

- Bond himself then gets shot when M orders Moneypenny to take the shot

- Bond is rightfully bitter when confronting M after returning to active duty

- During his initial conversation with Bond, Silva points out how M sent Bond to catch him well knowing that he failed all the tests and likely wasn't up for the task (this is really just M showing Bond faith, but Silva spins it as M sending Bond to be killed)

- When captured, Silva then reveals that his anger/psychosis is a result of M betraying him and leaving him to rot in captivity and torture for 2 years

Oooooh, I guess Bond is going to have his loyalty towards M and MI6 really be tested, right? Nope, right after Silva's reveal, M just tells Bond that Silva was starting to go rogue, so she exchanged him for 6 other agents in captivity. Oh. I guess everything's alright then. Bond certainly seems to just accept this explanation and a possible major conflict is completely dropped.

@Paul Allen: Bond was shot by the dude in the opening action sequence. He dug out the bullet shrapnel which they then CSI'd.




- MrSaxon - 10-30-2012

I do worry that this movie is going to suffer because of the unnecessary hype heaped upon it. It’s a great movie, and a very good Bond movie, but it’s not the best Bond movie (and nobody is going to be able to convince me otherwise). That title should never have been heaped upon it. It’s a ball and chain around this movie’s legs.




- chrknudsen - 10-30-2012

I think it's a great Bond movie and a very good movie. The reason all these things annoy me is because I feel they're keeping it from also being a great movie.




- paul allen - 10-30-2012

Bond fighting in the komodo dragon pit must have been a Purvis/Wade thing, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrknudsen View Post
@Paul Allen: Bond was shot by the dude in the opening action sequence. He dug out the bullet shrapnel which they then CSI'd.

Ay, I got that. But didn't Eve also shoot him in the shoulder? And wasn't the shooting the dude (Patrice?)  shooting some automatic pistol that would have turned Bond into swiss cheese? And wasn't the line of thinking "Analyse this fragment I was keeping quiet about during my physical and have been carrying for weeks/months inside me but have just dug out of myself with a knife -> it's radioactive -> only these three people we know use radioactive ammo -> it's that guy -> we somehow know he's going to be Shanghai -> go to shanghai -> go to the airport"

I know, I know, thats no more convoluted than any other Bond plot... but it just stood out as overly flukey while watching




- chrknudsen - 10-30-2012

I honestly don't remember where Eve shot him. And wasn't Bond shot by Patrice while somewhat in cover inside the excavator? I suppose that explains why he was only hit by a single bullet. But, yeah, everything else is pretty ludicrous. It has the feeling of the writers not really knowing how to get Bond back on the guy's tail, so they just have him analyze the bullet stuck in his shoulder when the script needed it.




- spike marshall - 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post

Bond fighting in the komodo dragon pit must have been a Purvis/Wade thing, right?

That entire sequence was worth it for the way Craig sort of wide eyedly points at the Komodo Dragon like a little boy for a couple of seconds. I'm actually really looking forward to watching it again because I know it's great, but it took me a while to get on board with the pace of the movie. As such I didn't really settle into it until Silva showed up. I really loved Bardem as Silva, he's probably my favourite Bond villain since Alec Trevaleyn and he feels frustratingly underused at points. But when he's onscreen Bardem is magnetic.




- mr majestyk - 10-30-2012

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster here. I figured new Bond movie-thread would be a good place for first post.

I must say that I'm not a big fan of Craig's first two Bonds. So I went in expecting more of the same but came out loving this. They got the most important thing right:they put the FUN back in Bond.

Komodo dragons are exactly what this series needed.

Skyfall is stunningly beautiful to look at and Bardem is a great deranged villain. It has it's problems but overall this might be my favourite Bond since the 80's.




- MrSaxon - 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr Majestyk View Post

Komodo dragons are exactly what this series needed.

They're what every series needs. Let's get them in the new Star Wars movie too.




- mr. stockslivevan - 10-31-2012

It's nice to know there are critters in this entry, it has been way too long for the Bond series since the last time there were any. I think it was Licence to Kill, with the shark tank and Sanchez's pet iguana.




- atomtastic - 10-31-2012

I think we should just go ahead and get Herzog to create a Bond title sequence entirely from Iguana POV shots. Maybe throw in some Albino Alligators as well.