The Trouble City Forums
SKYFALL Post-Release - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: SKYFALL Post-Release (/showthread.php?tid=145354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- mr. stockslivevan - 12-05-2012

ASkyfall has never been about retrieving the disk drive, that was only a part of the film and was pretty much finished by the time Bond captured Silva.

- cylon baby - 12-05-2012

I like how the finale of Sherlock dealt with a similar plot point SPOILER

Moriarty brags that he has a software program that can hack into any system anywhere. When Sherlock demands it at their final confrontation Moriarty laughs his ass off and says he made it up; he faked previous "demonstrations" and there never was such a software program, plus Sherlock and MI6 are morons for falling for such a pile of Bullshit

SPOILER.

- andy bain - 12-10-2012

AFinally saw this. Liked it. And what a well lit movie. The Shanghai bit was stunning.

And yay for Glencoe and Glen Etive. Some seriously beautiful scenery up that way, and great to see it so beautifully shot.

- mrbananagrabber - 12-10-2012

Everything but Shanghai and Macau is fading from memory really fast.  I do remember how much I enjoyed non shakeycam action.

- freeman - 12-10-2012

I can't imagine how any of this movie could fade from memory.  Each section is so distinct and pretty.

- cylon baby - 12-10-2012

Thanks to CHUD Super=Poster LaurenOrtega for turning me on this Blogger, who has some choice words about SkyFall:

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/skyfall-in-which-british-jingoism-makes-laughingstock-of-itself/#more-4267

- laurenortega - 12-11-2012

Hhahahaha I love how angry as fuck she is.

Love her.

- MrSaxon - 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Thanks to CHUD Super=Poster LaurenOrtega for turning me on this Blogger, who has some choice words about SkyFall:

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/skyfall-in-which-british-jingoism-makes-laughingstock-of-itself/#more-4267

*Chuckles* I initially thought this was a serious review and then realised the reviewer must be making mistakes on purpose and that it was a schtick. Still, I love the fact that she accuses the movie of being racist whilst having a black Moneypenny. *Chuckles again*

She's overdoing the venom for giggles but she hates the movie. She's also a Thai/Chinese lesbian so chances are she's really going to see the movies(and Bond) in general as some backwards symbol of first-world colonialism.

Which is why I LOVE her!

- MrSaxon - 12-11-2012

I want the next Bond villain to be a Thai/Chinese lesbian!

- schwartz - 12-11-2012

I want the next Batman to be a Thai/Chinese lesbian.

It would be nice if my motivations were even 1% genuinely progressive in nature, but, well...

- MrSaxon - 12-11-2012

Perhaps, in 2013, Thai/Chinese lesbians will be the 2005 Jude Law. They'll be in every movie everywhere.

- cylon baby - 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

*Chuckles* I initially thought this was a serious review and then realised the reviewer must be making mistakes on purpose and that it was a schtick. Still, I love the fact that she accuses the movie of being racist whilst having a black Moneypenny. *Chuckles again*

Haha well to be fair, she argues that MoneyPenny is incompetent in the filed and is in effect relegated to  being Bond's servant, because she's Black!

I actually think she's right about the racism and anti-woman stance of the film, esp how incompetent M is.

- dr harford - 12-11-2012

AMoneypenny works for M. Bond has his own secretary. It gets me mad when people go off about Bond tropes without knowing the first thing about the series.

- cylon baby - 12-11-2012

Take it easy, Harford.

And the point remains: Moneypenny is a servant to the White Man after proving to be incompetent in the field.

Haha if you liked that SkyFall review you'll loooove her reviews of Avatar and Snow White and the Huntsman:

A sample:

By rage, I mean “I’ll hunt James Cameron down and burn his house and choke his pet dogs/cats/goldfish to death and then burn them too.” That kind of rage. And you can bitch about me having ~*liberal hang-upgs*~ and agendas or “reading too much into this, it’s just FANTASY and ESCAPIST ENTERTAINMENT” if you like, but keep in mind that I’ll call you names and you will deserve every single one.

https://requireshate.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/avatar-oh-james-cameron-no/

Isn’t it remarkable by the way that every dress in this movie bares and emphasizes a woman’s cleavage? Little wonder that the only kiss initiated by Bella Swan in this film–her one moment of sexual desire–is directed at another woman. All the other kisses are initiated by men who decide it’s awesome to molest her while she’s either comatose or dead, and therefore can’t consent.

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/snow-white-and-the-internalized-misogyny-or-how-ravennas-the-one-you-should-be-rooting-for/

God she's so great.

The funny thing is that I don't really agree with her(which usually is the case) on Skyfall for the most part* but I actually love her basically just saying "Fuck it this movie! I'm not interested in first world white men and here are the reasons why."

Basically she's me when I get really pissed off and go hardcore feminist on people.

*Aside from Severine. I know the logic for her fate in the story, but after sitting on this I'm just willing to admit that I fucking hate sacrificial Bond girls and any writer who does it in the future should be hit with a rolled up newspaper by me.

- mr. stockslivevan - 12-11-2012

AMan, I hope for her own sake she doesn't read a Fleming novel. Her head would literally nuke.

- dr harford - 12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Take it easy, Harford.

And the point remains: Moneypenny is a servant to the White Man after proving to be incompetent in the field.

Long before Bond had black women perform poorly in the field it filled those roles with White Men, and she's hardly a "servant", she's in a position of remarkable importance and power.

I just get really worked up about this stuff, sorry!

- cylon baby - 12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

Long before Bond had black women perform poorly in the field it filled those roles with White Men, and she's hardly a "servant", she's in a position of remarkable importance and power.

I just get really worked up about this stuff, sorry!

But we're talking about a James Bond movie, not real history. Stay on point!

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

AThere's also the fact that Moneypenny didn't perform poorly in the field at all in Skyfall.

- cylon baby - 12-13-2012

Well except when she shot the wrong man on that train! And then just watched as the man she was supposed to shoot happily rode the train to freedom. Oh and Bond had to take the wheel from her in that car chase because wimen drivers har har.

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440277"]Well except when she shot the wrong man on that train! And then just watched as the man she was supposed to shoot happily rode the train to freedom. Oh and Bond had to take the wheel from her in that car chase because wimen drivers har har.
[/quote]

Fuck! I forgot about the part where she didn't re-set and take out the bad guy even though I pointed it out in my first post in this very thread. 1-0 Cylon.

But I also pointed out in this thread that only a racist and a sexist would blame her for the shot she did take - a shot she had called out as not clear and which she only took because she was ordered to. That was a roll of the dice and it wasn't even her roll. 1-1.

Har har indeed but that driving incident wasn't a case of her failing, it was a case of Bond making an executive decision to change their tactics without telling her. It was a failure of teamwork on Bond's part. As was Bond killing communications with her in Macau. In spite of the fact he had sabotaged her support role she was still able to save Bond's ass when death appeared certain for 007. Lastly her conduct after Silva invaded the House Of Lords or wherever the fuck that shootout happened was exemplary and she saved many lives with her cool-headed performance. Bond, meanwhile, took protection of M into his own hands. She was dead within 48 hours.

My report will show that Moneypenny's one blemish - not re-setting for the shot - was more than compensated for by the fact that not only did Bond live but she saved his life, while hamstrung by Bond's penis-driven ineptness, on a future occasion and went on to show great composure and courage under fire. My recommendation is that Moneypenny is given All The Medals. My recommendation regarding Bond is that he should stand court martial for his actions leading to the death of the leader of MI6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

But I also pointed out in this thread that only a racist and a sexist would blame her for the shot she did take - a shot she had called out as not clear and which she only took because she was ordered to. That was a roll of the dice and it wasn't even her roll.

Ordered to.....by a woman!

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440288"]

Ordered to.....by a woman![/quote]

BOND SHOULD BE IN JAIL!!!

- MrSaxon - 12-13-2012

I'd also like to point out that Moneypenny is great at shaving with a straight razor.

Hey, it's a skill, right?

One I lack!

Seriously, I found that Tai/Chinease Lesbian review pretty hilarious, and I am a Bond Fan (film & print versions), but there is no denying they have retrograde attitudes towards women, Gays, and all non-English people.

- Nooj - 12-13-2012

Got this from Phil through Facebook!  YES!

- MrSaxon - 12-13-2012

They look like a really grumpy lesbian couple.

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440621"]One I lack!

Seriously, I found that Tai/Chinease Lesbian review pretty hilarious, and I am a Bond Fan (film & print versions), but there is no denying they have retrograde attitudes towards women, Gays, and all non-English people.
[/quote]

Oh sure, and it should be clear to all concerned (which should be everyone because I am fascinating) that my argument that Moneypenny was actually portrayed as a superior field agent to Bond is proof that the makers have a retrograde attitude towards women.

If you she was incompetent in the field and as such pulled back to a desk job then that makes sense. The fact she was actually portrayed as more than competent in the field and yet was SHOEHORNED by the writer(s) into the desk job in a fit of SHITHOUSE characteriZATION only proves that they'll do ANYTHING to keep a good woman DOWN.

I'm not blaming a single person though, at least not 100%. It could be that the writers were mandated by Bond Central to bring Moneypenny into the picture and they actually wanted a Moneypenny who wasn't a mere office girl as she's traditionally portrayed. So they gave her this backstory as a badass, because who doesn't like badass ladies, right? Except that, in the end, she still has to become Moneypenny. What I'm getting at is that the writers may actually have had their hearts in the right place, they just, unlike Silva, botched the execution (yes pun).

- dan benenson - 12-13-2012

AI think we have to see how she's handled in the next film before we can declare the revamped character a failure. If they continue giving her more to do, it's maybe not so bad.

- dr harford - 12-13-2012

ABucho: Moneypenny was a superior agent to 007?

What? James Bond's record is virtually unmatched in the service. Moneypenny was just some field agent in assigned to the Turkey station that happened to get roped in on that gig. She's not a globe trotting double-o in her own right.

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Dr Harford" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440761"]Bucho: Moneypenny was a superior agent to 007?
What? James Bond's record is virtually unmatched in the service. Moneypenny was just some field agent in assigned to the Turkey station that happened to get roped in on that gig. She's not a globe trotting double-o in her own right.[/quote]

Keep up please Doc, my case is bulletproof.

[quote name="Bucho" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440285"]
Only a racist and a sexist would blame her for the shot she did take - a shot she had called out as not clear and which she only took because she was ordered to. That was a roll of the dice and it wasn't even her roll.

That driving incident wasn't a case of her failing, it was a case of Bond making an executive decision to change their tactics without telling her. It was a failure of teamwork on Bond's part. As was Bond killing communications with her in Macau. In spite of the fact Bond had sabotaged her support role she was still able to save Bond's ass when death appeared certain for 007. Lastly her conduct after Silva invaded the House Of Lords or wherever the fuck that shootout happened was exemplary and she saved many lives with her cool-headed performance.

Bond, meanwhile, took protection of M into his own hands. She was dead within 48 hours.

My report will show that Moneypenny's one blemish - not re-setting for the shot - was more than compensated for by the fact that not only did Bond live but she saved his life, while hamstrung by Bond's penis-driven ineptness, on a future occasion and went on to show great composure and courage under fire. My recommendation is that Moneypenny is given All The Medals. My recommendation regarding Bond is that he should stand court martial for his actions leading to the death of the leader of MI6.[/quote]

- dr harford - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Bucho" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440767"]
Keep up please Doc, my case is bulletproof.
[/quote]

I just don't think Moneypenny could have pulled off what Bond did, or that any other man could have. And you can't just ask of Moneypenny performed well or not in this film (and she didn't, at the one moment it really mattered), but whether she's cut out for what Bond does. Clearly she can't kill without remorse, and she isn't on Bond's level.

- Bucho - 12-13-2012

A[quote name="Dr Harford" url="/community/t/145354/skyfall-post-release/1000#post_3440774"]And you can't just ask if Moneypenny performed well or not in this film (and she didn't, at the one moment it really mattered) ...[/quote]

Except that the idea that there was "one moment it really mattered" is a false one. Unless you consider the moment she SAVED BOND'S LIFE a moment which didn't really matter.

- agracru - 12-13-2012

Wait, is there really a discussion going on over whether Moneypenny is better in the field than Bond? The film makes it really clear: Moneypenny can't hack it in the field, whatever good she does end up doing to redeem herself for shooting 007 by accident. If Bond is inept for letting M die, Moneypenny is equally inept for missing that shot. The difference is that Bond is capable of things Moneypenny-- by her own admission-- isn't when out in the field. (Though Moneypenny proves to be adept in her own ways. She just, you know, can't fight a top-class assassin armed with a fucking rifle in hand-to-hand combat, or kill half a dozen guys when they all have their guns trained on him and he's out in the open.)

That said I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Moneypenny winds up reteaming with Bond in the field in another film, mostly because Harris and Craig clicked well together and I think that would be a huge missed opportunity. Can't really fully capitalize on their chemistry when she's behind a desk and he's off in some exotic location.

(Not to mention that Bond's aptitude and ability being questioned is sort of the whole point of the movie.)