The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- agracru - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

I can see the point here, and yeah, the movie has it as one of it few blemishes, but i still think Edwards made the right choice to have the massive shadow and threat of the monsters even take away from some inner character development, because it sells the very idea of this event being of such magnitude, humanity is reduced to basics.

Yeah, a scene of Ford and his buddy on the train chatting about why each of them is there and how they deal with the events would add character exposition, but i think it would take away from the monsters and how they tower over humanity as a whole.

Oh yeah, I agree. I mean, I loved the movie as-is. So I'm not saying that the absence of a scene like that cripples the movie overall. But I do see where Nooj is coming from, and I do wish that some of that stuff had come up more. There's still room for it, even with Edwards focusing on the magnitude that you speak of (which he totally is, and it's totally why the movie works far more than it doesn't).

- ryoken - 05-19-2014

My final opnion remains that even though it would add to the movie to have more, even small character moments or exposition, i think the film gains more of an identity of its own by making the world and its characters submissive to the monsters themselves.

Maybe a Director's cut will make me eat my words in the future, though.

Even so, its just an opinion. Movie is extremely good, but above al, its extremely good to be the way it is, considering the trends and lack of soul on today's blockbusters.

- mikeshaynepi - 05-19-2014

I like how the end is basically a combination of two other Legendary Productions films.  Also, I wish Godzilla had said "Me go home now. Bye." at the end.

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

A movie that didn't just treat him as:

YOU CAN GO HOME!  ok

GO TO JAPAN!  ok

COME TO OUR OLD HOUSE!  ok

COME TO JANJIRA!  ok

COME TO WATANABE!  ok

COME TO HAWAII!  ok

COME TO SAN FRANSISCO!  ok

OK

Don't forget about:

COME TO BUTTHEAD!  ok

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Yeah, this is turning into Pacific Rim thread part deux.

We just saw a proper Godzilla film, made by a completely out of left field director, with a script that centered every set piece and action sequence in a grounded, human POV, and a basic plot that featured little to no plotholes, become an absolute hit on its release weekend worldwide.

After seeing absolute drecks like Star Trek ITD, Amazing Spidey 2, Bayformers and who know how many hacky, uncaring and unpolished crass movies we get this and people still complain and nitpick?

Fuck off.

The shitty state of cinema is no excuse for anyone to merely settle just because the bar's been raised to a moderate level.

- mike j - 05-19-2014

Some more thoughts:

-There are no personal stakes in this movie. At all. Well, there are but they go out the window when Bryan Cranston dies in the first act.

-Ford shows almost no initiative in wanting to get home and protect his family. Sure, it's stated but there's never a sense of urgency on his part. The fucking bus driver does more to protect his kid than he does.

-While I'm on the subject, a bus full of kids in danger could have been a great set piece. Were they worried putting them in real danger would make Godzilla look like a bad guy? Hint: Making him an allegory for the arrogance and carelessness of man prevents this. He's not malicious at all, he's a force of destructive nature that's a byproduct of our own reckless ways. This is kind of touched on but nowhere near to the effect of the '54 one.

The movie was a big step up from '98 but ANYTHING would have been a big step from that.

- mike j - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Yeah, this is turning into Pacific Rim thread part deux.

We just saw a proper Godzilla film, made by a completely out of left field director, with a script that centered every set piece and action sequence in a grounded, human POV, and a basic plot that featured little to no plotholes, become an absolute hit on its release weekend worldwide.

After seeing absolute drecks like Star Trek ITD, Amazing Spidey 2, Bayformers and who know how many hacky, uncaring and unpolished crass movies we get this and people still complain and nitpick?

Fuck off.

- agracru - 05-19-2014

Of course, I don't think the state of cinema is shitty. The state of distribution is shitty, but cinema itself? A-okay. We just got Locke, Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and The Double, all within a month of each other, and stuff like Enemy and Big Bad Wolves and The Raid 2 not long before that, with lots of other great stuff in between and more great stuff that won't come out until later this year. Cinema is fine. The problem is that nobody is seeing this stuff.

Anyways, back to Godzilla.

- art decade - 05-19-2014

It was good!

- filmmkr - 05-19-2014

Unfortunately the movie sells itself as a compelling human drama with a charismatic lead (Cranston) uncovering the truth about Godzilla. So people go in expecting that and that's not what the movie is. They expect Godzilla and Cranston to drive the story.  He's gone after 15 minutes and it's about fairly generic humans dealing with monsters that aren't Godzilla. Then going somewhere else and dealing with them there. And somewhere else. And then Godzilla shows up.

The movie also doesn't do itself any favors by purposefully creating homages to these other, better, monster films by Spielberg littered with interesting characters. It is inviting comparison.

The film has one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I'd love to see that movie.

And yeah, blah blah snark about how trailers are always misleading.

The cinematography is excellent and the entire film is artfully crafted. I'd love a killer trading card set featuring stills from the movie. Parts of it are amazing, namely the characterization of Godzilla.  I don't really care about action scenes or set pieces unless they feature characters I care about. That's how a movie with lots of action set pieces can be boring. If the humans are supposed to be like ants why do they have so many scenes just featuring them? And why is the movie from their point of view? We should care more, right? Characters don't have to be wild or crazy to be compelling.

All this talk of how the characters in the movie are like real people so they aren't supposed to be interesting-I mean, documentaries find compelling subjects to craft their movie around and they are literally about real people!

and yeah, ASM 2 was balls.

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

I'll even go a step further and say that while Bryan was there to deliver the goods, he didn't fully deliver. I think he said, on three different occasions, "IT WASN'T A TYPHOON-" and I was like "Did they run out of new things for him to exclaim?" And that was before he even croaked.

- cylon baby - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Fuck off.

I think this plays a large part in the financial success of this film as well as the Marvel movies. After seeing so much total SHIT in theaters, simply having a movie where the filmakers are engaged and competent is a welcome relief. At the end of my screening one guy in the theater shouted out "they didn't screw it up!".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

A lot of the praise directed at the movie seems more in defiance of the boogeyman that is by-the-numbers Hollywood filmmaking.  It's a feeling I completely understand, but let's direct that hate at the formula, but not the actual craft that gave rise to the arbitrarily lazy use of such formulas.

But this is very much a formula, and not one very different from the standard "Hollywood" formula. What elevates it is the love for the material that comes through the screen, from the Director, the actors, hell even the Marketing team that promoted the film.

FEEL THE LOVE MCNOOJ!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filmmkr View Post

Unfortunately the movie sells itself as a compelling human drama with a charismatic lead (Cranston) uncovering the truth about Godzilla. So people go in expecting that and that's not what the movie is. They expect Godzilla and Cranston to drive the story.  He's gone after 15 minutes and it's about fairly generic humans dealing with monsters that aren't Godzilla. Then going somewhere else and dealing with them there. And somewhere else. And then Godzilla shows up.

The movie also doesn't do itself any favors by purposefully creating homages to these other, better, monster films by Spielberg littered with interesting characters. It is inviting comparison.

The film has one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I'd love to see that movie.

And yeah, blah blah snark about how trailers are always misleading.

The cinematography is excellent and the entire film is artfully crafted. I'd love a killer trading card set featuring stills from the movie. Parts of it are amazing, namely the characterization of Godzilla.  I don't really care about action scenes or set pieces unless they feature characters I care about. That's how a movie with lots of action set pieces can be boring. If the humans are supposed to be like ants why do they have so many scenes just featuring them? And why is the movie from their point of view? We should care more, right? Characters don't have to be wild or crazy to be compelling. 

All this talk of how the characters in the movie are like real people so they aren't supposed to be interesting-I mean, documentaries find compelling subjects to craft their movie around and they are literally about real people!

and yeah, ASM 2 was balls.

Actually I would have loved to have seen a film where the central human conflicts revolve around the meaning of Godzilla and the MUTOS. Because seeing giant monsters walk around major cities, acting with some degree of intelligence, and impervious to our most powerful weapons; that shatters so many commonly held beliefs, starting with the belief in a rational Universe, that would have made for some interesting story telling.

- mrbananagrabber - 05-19-2014

AIts much better than Monsters.

But I want to like it much more than i do.

Its pretty, all the shots from the HALO drop forward are lovely, and convey a gorgeous descent into hell.

But its so vapid. There is a whole truckload of nothing in this movie.

Plot holes: the MUTOs seem pretty choosy about the radiation they like. Skipping the reactors in the Philippines to head to Japan. Grabbing a submarine, while ignoring all the surface ships, and abandoning a massive radioactive stockpile because the script demands it.

There's more, but I'm on my phone.

Sorry guys. I just did not connect with it.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filmmkr View Post

and yeah, ASM 2 was balls-to-the-wall amazing

yeah it was

- agracru - 05-19-2014

I guess at this point I'm wondering why US audiences gave this movie such a great opening weekend. Wasn't really expecting that to happen, financial predictions aside.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

Good trailers that seemed to take the material seriously?

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

Yeah, I don't expect it to hold those types of numbers, seeing how front-loaded vs. divisive it's coming off.

- filmmkr - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Actually I would have loved to have seen a film where the central human conflicts revolve around the meaning of Godzilla and the MUTOS. Because seeing giant monsters walk around major cities, acting with some degree of intelligence, and impervious to our most powerful weapons; that shatters so many commonly held beliefs, starting with the belief in a rational Universe, that would have made for some interesting story telling.

Yeah that would have been great too. Too bad we didn't get that either. I guess we can keep our fingers crossed for the sequel....

- mrbananagrabber - 05-19-2014

AGodzilla is pretty deeply embedded in our cultural consciousness. People want a Godzilla movie they can like without irony.

- cccc - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by agracru View Post

I guess at this point I'm wondering why US audiences gave this movie such a great opening weekend. Wasn't really expecting that to happen, financial predictions aside.

And overseas.

Perhaps it just feels fresh.  It's something different then the super hero or transformer movies of it's ilk that we've been getting every year.

Or course marketing did a terrific job.

Dunno?

- darkmite8 - 05-19-2014

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/400_50#post_3719070"]

[/quote]
Very Lovecraftian. Maybe in GDT's Mountains.

Liked it lots. Bummed about Cranston's early exit, mixed about action cut aways. Adored how it was shot and staged. Same complaints about the characters as I had with PR. Wanted to spend less time with lead an more with supporting people. Godzilla had a good buildup to his reveal/s (course so did GINO 98), and his characterization was superb (unlike GINO). Those kaiju are some soft-stepping ninjas huh? Odd sound design. Where where the stomps? This kaiju fan allso wanted the classic G music fanfare, but the music was appropriate.

I recommend seeing this in theaters for sure!

- cccc - 05-19-2014

You mean like Man of Steel?

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

Funny you say that, as I fear the screams of "NOT ENOUGH G-MAN!" will result in Godzilla of Steel (but not really).

And everyone, please... stop saying GINO. All I read/hear is GYNO(cologist).

- darkmite8 - 05-19-2014

ANurse: "Doctor, there's a woman in the waiting room who brought her imaginary kaiju in for her yearly pap..."

Dino gyno: "Tell her I can't see her..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Plot holes: the MUTOs seem pretty choosy about the radiation they like. Skipping the reactors in the Philippines to head to Japan. Grabbing a submarine, while ignoring all the surface ships, and abandoning a massive radioactive stockpile because the script demands it.

Yeah i noted that too. There are Nuclear plants in Southern California and Oregon, but the MUTO zooms in on two nuclear missiles on a train...and can detect them from Nevada! Hell maybe it wanted a Nuclear Dildo.

Or maybe there something going on at the Movie studios that we don't know about...last year Man of Steel had giant Dildos, now Godzilla has Nuclear Dildos. WHAT'S NEXT?!

- Paul755 - 05-19-2014

A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/400#post_3719120"][/quote]well Godzilla was pretty indifferent about wrecking a major city when people were still in the buildings. He easily could have taken the fight out to the desert or ocean. Away from major concentrations of people.

Some fuckin' hero he is.

- cccc - 05-19-2014

This is fun.

Forbes prediction of the biggest flops of 2014:

1) Godzilla

Quote:

Godzilla. Hands down, “Godzilla” will be the biggest box office bomb of 2014. Godzilla as a character is box office poison.

The bottom line is if Peter Jackson couldn’t turn “King Kong” into a mega-size box office hit, the chances that an indie film director—Gareth Edwards—attempting to make a big budget giant monster action film like “Godzilla” a global, profitable hit are essentially nonexistent.

“Godzilla” will essentially be getting hit from all sides, and theater owners will be allocating more screens for “X-Men” and “Spider-Man” rather than take a chance on empty theaters screening “Godzilla.”

It’s also worth noting that the marketing to date for “Godzilla” has been rather weak (and nearly invisible). This appears to be continuing—and part of the plan—as Warner Bros. has elected not to feature a “Godzilla” trailer during the upcoming Super Bowl, while “Amazing Spider-Man 2” and “X-Men” are there in full force.

And he also said Guardian of the Galaxy will flop.  LOL!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/siliconangle/2014/01/23/hollywood-is-godzilla-the-john-carter-of-2014/

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

AWhat a dummy.

- chris dogg - 05-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

And everyone, please... stop saying GINO. All I read/hear is GYNO(cologist).

Well we could say his official TOHO given name, which is 'Zilla, but that's not as satisfiyingly insultive as saying calling it Godzilla In Name Only.

GINOGINOGINOGINOGINOGINOGINOGINO

- shaun h - 05-19-2014

AINDEED.

[Image: new-godzilla-trailer-shows-first-good-lo...__span.png]

- chris dogg - 05-19-2014

A wacky theory form another forum;

Something that's been bothering me about Godzilla

I saw Godzilla yesterday. Liked it, but I felt like it needed to sink in. I felt like there was a lot going on beneath the surface (and that a good chunk of it may have been left on the cutting room floor. I'm anxious to see the deleted scenes on Blu-ray) thematically.

They took great care in crafting the human element of the story; yet there are some strange payoffs with it. Take Brian Cranston's character, for instance. He was featured heavily in the marketing of this film; and for good reason; he's arguably at his hottest as an actor at the moment.

A lot of the first act in spent developing his character; and then he's quickly killed off and never mentioned again. He's basically reduced to being a plot point; something to progress the story.

I was confused about why they would spend so much time building up his character just to write him out so quickly. And then I realized something:

Godzilla doesn't show up in the movie until AFTER he dies. Could this be significant?

His last words to Ford (and who names their son FORD anyway?!) are something along the lines of "Go home and protect your family." And Ford spends the rest of the movie trying to do just that. The plot shifts to become about his odyssey home.

Unfortunately, MUTO, the thing that has taken both his parents from him, follows him to Hawaii. And then Godzilla shows up for the first time and just happens to save him.

Then, when Godzilla shows up in the Bay, he doesn't smash through the Golden Gate Bridge until AFTER Ford's son on the school bus is able to get out of the way.

During the climactic battle, Ford's unit is cut off from the bomb by the MUTO until Godzilla makes that badass entrance by appearing through the smoke, as if a ghost.

Further more, there's that strange moment after Ford (perhaps not intentionally) helps Godzilla by blowing up the MUTO's nest where Godzilla's face comes out of the smoke and they stare at each other before Godzilla retreats back into the mists.

Finally, Godzilla comes back to life and returns to the ocean after Ford is reunited with his wife and son.

So, Godzilla; Ford's personal guardian angel? The personification of his dead parents helping him battle the MUTO that had taken so much from him?

Or do I just need to go to bed and stop working so many nights?

Big G was totally Joe Brody reincarnated!  I bet it will be reveled that Cranston did the mocap for Big G!  Suck it all you haters that complain about Heisenberg not having enough screentime!  He spends the rest of the film after he dies playing Godzilla!

RAAAAAAAAAAWWWWRRRRoooooooOOOOOOOAHoooooooo tread lightly.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

ANo, it was Andy Serkis.

ONLY he could bring such emotional honesty to Godzilla.

- cccc - 05-19-2014

Wait.  Ford's kid happens to wake up at the exact time of a news report where grandpa is kicking the winged muto that just killed him ass!

- darkmite8 - 05-19-2014

ASomething strikes me odd about the design of the MUTOs. They seem so alien to me. So angular and not very organic. Almost mechanical or constructed (not to mention the emp power). You can call them insect-ish but only bc they have multiple limbs. They lack the textural quality that Battra, Legion, Destoroyah, or Megaguirus have. I dont need my giant bugs to look just like the smaller ones (mantis, spider, etc) but something that could have come from Earth a bit (unless wE find out it's NOT!). MUTO reminded me of one of the mechanical enemies from StarFox 64....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7wUKdKeNTRerkhMByxYT...Og80ckBxod]

I was hoping the toys we saw earlier were simplified for the sake of the toy design, but they really do look that angular. A small nitpick that ultimately didnt take away any enjoyment from me. I did like the way they flew and emoted. Maybe they were more mechanical looking as a reverse PR nod.

Also EMPs dont work temporarily like that. You couldnt get the grid back up so soon. We'd be screwed. (Well, atleast Honolulu, San Fran, and Vegas). And sent back to the stone age.

I loved how Godzilla flared his nostrils.