The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- muzman - 05-20-2014

I am transfixed by Subliminal Lando.

- cylon baby - 05-20-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

And this cannot be labeled as a niche genre film.

Why not?

- shaun h - 05-20-2014

A[quote name="Muzman" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/510#post_3719729"]I am transfixed by Subliminal Lando.[/quote]

He's like the spliced in "nice, hard cock" in Fight Club. "Nobody knows that they saw it, but they did."

- Nooj - 05-20-2014

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/510#post_3719732"]

Why not?
[/quote]

It's just such a huge movie designed to be a successful blockbuster.

Of course, I'm looking at it from the perspective of mid-budget adult fare being the niche films of today.

So we're probably approaching the term a different way.

Godzilla is simply a genre movie. Not niche.

- bradito - 05-20-2014

AThat's the shittiest gif in the history of gifs. No character development.

- shaun h - 05-20-2014

AThey didn't gif no fucks.

- bradito - 05-20-2014

ALando's practically cut out entirely, which is unfor-gif-able.

- chaz - 05-20-2014

- david81 - 05-20-2014

AThis played better for me on a second viewing.For some reason the humans didn't bore me. I know I'm alone on that. I do know how that feels cause I've seen Pacific Rim and I was bored with those characters. There's not a big difference between the 2 but for some reason I could stand the Godzilla humans. The set pieces in this film are so well put together. The finishing move in the big fight is glorious.

- cccc - 05-20-2014

Same thing happened on my second viewing.  The humans and their story didn't bother me as much.  Like to see what I feel after my 3rd.

I forgot to add I love that scene where Ford's wife sees a parachuter and then a second later his plane crashes into the building.  Such a great touch.

- david81 - 05-20-2014

AThats my favorite moment in the film.

- mrbananagrabber - 05-20-2014

ALost opportunity not having the Toho logo title card at the start.

Downright criminal not to use any of Ifukube's themes, especially considering how weak the score was.

the MUTO designs have really grown on me though. Cool otherworldly designs, even though they had a bit too much Neville Page influence.

- cccc - 05-20-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Lost opportunity not having the Toho logo title card at the start.

Downright criminal not to use any of Ifukube's themes, especially considering how weak the score was.

the MUTO designs have really grown on me though. Cool otherworldly designs, even though they had a bit too much Neville Page influence.

It is when they release it in Japan.

- Nooj - 05-20-2014

A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/510#post_3719794"]

I forgot to add I love that scene where Ford's wife sees a parachuter and then a second later his plane crashes into the building.  Such a great touch. 
[/quote]

I've already praised this!

I have monopoly over it!!!

- cccc - 05-20-2014

Quote:

I've already praised this!

I have monopoly over it!!!

Didn't see it.  Have your shit on block.  Sorry bruhhh.

- Nooj - 05-20-2014

AOH YOU LIE SO CUTE

- cccc - 05-20-2014

Is someone in here?  Can't see him.  Nope.  Nada.

- Nooj - 05-20-2014

AI... JUST WANTED PEOPLE TO SEE ME...

ELECTROOOOOO!!!!

...by the way, does anyone know where I can get some fake passports?

- shaun h - 05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Is someone in here?  Can't see him.  Nope.  Nada.

"THERE HE-!" Doors shut. Next appearance scheduled for 1 hour later.

- turingmachine75 - 05-20-2014

AAfter the tail-kill, there was a moment where it looked like the building was collapsing on Godzilla . . . loved that.

- Nooj - 05-20-2014

ALooked like?

- david81 - 05-20-2014

AYes and the smoke slowly covering Godzilla's face.

- turingmachine75 - 05-20-2014

AYes, Nooj . . . looked like. I don't have the disposable income or disposable time to see it a second or third time to confirm, 'cause like, I've got a life to live and shit to do, but by all means, correct me if you'd like.

- cylon baby - 05-21-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

Yes, Nooj . . . looked like. I don't have the disposable income or disposable time to see it a second or third time to confirm, 'cause like, I've got a life to live and shit to do, but by all means, correct me if you'd like.

What do you thing Credit Cards and second Mortgages are for?!

- chaz - 05-21-2014

I have a great idea on how to work in Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla into the sequel. Blue Oyster Cult in this world, just like the real one, are a  rock band that had success in the 70s and early 80s, but now are playing the rib fest circuit. After seeing footage of Godzilla fighting the MUTOs they are inspired to write the song Godzilla. The movie could show them playing the song at a charity festival for people affected by the monster battle in San Francisco. That scene could be part of a opening  montage of what this post-Godzilla world is like.

- freeman - 05-21-2014

I loved this movie.  Adored it.  It's got plenty of flaws, but flaws and all this is a movie that was made for me.  I couldn't stop thinking of Jurassic Park and Jaws.  The scene with Ken arriving at the jungle mine is STRAIGHT out of Jurassic Park.  I will now marathon read the entire thread, but not before spewing thoughts.

Cranston is FANTASTIC.  He's utterly amazing.  It was such a mistake to kill him so early.  That scene behind the two way mirror is Oscar reel footage good.

Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch making out was weird... But I liked it which was WEIRDER!  OMFG--

My teenage packed audience laughed a lot when Ken named him "Gojira!"

I liked that the first act was basically the MUTO mystery.  What are they, how do they work?  Etc. etc.  Once the mystery is solved thanks to handy exposition scene, we're off to the races into Act two, and our movie.

MUTO design is OKAAAY.  I loved that they are essentially Cloverfield monsters, a big fuck you.  But they were a bit boring.

LOVED all the "T Rex from Jurassic" scene, like when the MUTOS took out the bridge, or when Godzilla comes up on Hawaii.  This movie was directed SO WELL.  The performances of the humans were fine, I empathized with them and liked them all, and from the bitching I've heard on this forum I expected WAAAAAY less tolerable people.

When we first get our clear look at Godzilla in Hawaii and he roars, it shook my theater and people cheered for like five minutes.  Then big laughs during the TV bit.

Two AMAZING kill scenes from Godzilla.  I always wondered why he didn't just flame one of those creatures down the fucking gullet, and then pose with its head.  That might have been the most metal fucking thing ever.

Loved that Godzilla got a big round of applause at the end.  I loved that despite selfish intentions, the big guy's basically on our team.  The bridge scene was so hard to watch.

- chris dogg - 05-21-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I have a great idea on how to work in Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla into the sequel. Blue Oyster Cult in this world, just like the real one, are a  rock band that had success in the 70s and early 80s, but now are playing the rib fest circuit. After seeing footage of Godzilla fighting the MUTOs they are inspired to write the song Godzilla. The movie could show them playing the song at a charity festival for people affected by the monster battle in San Francisco. That scene could be part of a opening  montage of what this post-Godzilla world is like.

"oooooh no! those MUTOs wrecked San 'Frisco!  Go Go Godzila!  ooh wooh ooh"

- Nooj - 05-21-2014

A[quote name="Turingmachine75" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/540#post_3719893"]Yes, Nooj . . . looked like. I don't have the disposable income or disposable time to see it a second or third time to confirm, 'cause like, I've got a life to live and shit to do, but by all means, correct me if you'd like.[/quote]

Apologies. I was just curious about your wording as opposed to trying to correct you.

I just thought it was clearly that the first time I saw it. It was just such a big moment to end that fight on.

"Whoops... down I go..."

- turingmachine75 - 05-21-2014

A:o

- filmmkr - 05-21-2014

ADid they play the fiat commercial in front of the movie at anyone else's showing? Kind of killed the slow burn reveal of Godzilla for me since I had just seen him when he was "hungry for Italian."

- mike j - 05-21-2014

Jet Jaguar in Part 2, please.

- MichaelM - 05-21-2014

Quote:

I just thought it was clearly that the first time I saw it. It was just such a big moment to end that fight on.

Without any offense to Turing, I also thought it was really clear (and I've only seen the film once). The building pretty much did collapse on G, hence him falling as the building fell on him (and hence the scene with his face near the ground disappearing into the dust and smoke).

I am definitely seeing this again this weekend.

- freeman - 05-21-2014

I loved how when he roared so hard and so fucking loud you could see his flabby bits vibrating.

- stelios - 05-21-2014

The roars were so fucking pleasing.

- freeman - 05-21-2014

I felt them in my BONES.  What's funny is that they kept being more and more awesome!  Like they were challenging themselves to one up it.