The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- agracru - 05-21-2014

Attack the Block and Jaws are both really unfair comparisons. Because they're both outrageously good movies. But I get the comparison points, even if I think making the comparison is just not nice to Godzilla.

Now I kinda just want to watch Attack the Block again.

- Nooj - 05-21-2014

That's right.

You watch the outrageously good movie!   Forget the middling Godzilla!

Art ain't fair, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agracru View Post

Attack the Block and Jaws are both really unfair comparisons. Because they're both outrageously good movies. But I get the comparison points, even if I think making the comparison is just not nice to Godzilla.

Also... Ford Brody?

Edwards is practically begging us to make the comparison!

- doc happenin - 05-21-2014

One should always want to watch Attack the Block again. Always

- art decade - 05-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I had mostly heard praise for the film from people I trust.  So I was thinking it was going to be something really great.

It was. You're just a silly, silly person.

- Nooj - 05-21-2014

Go watch TRON LEGACY some more!

Big Grin

- chris dogg - 05-21-2014

Again, while I dug the movie, this review sums up a lot of my thoughts towards it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9210-Godzilla-Breaking-Kaiju

It even has a decent counter for the "suspense and tension building" cutaways and teases that is killing the mood for a lot of people.

- mrbananagrabber - 05-21-2014

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/550#post_3720362"]That's right. 

You watch the outrageously good movie!   Forget the middling Godzilla!

Art ain't fair, bro.

Also... Ford Brody?

Edwards is practically begging us to make the comparison!
[/quote]

And Dreyfuss Jones is hard to type.

- art decade - 05-21-2014

Godzilla 1954 = Forbidden Planet

Godzilla 2014 = 2001: A Space Odyssey

- jackson - 05-21-2014

All this butt hurt nonsense about the "teases" seems ridiculous to me.  It's coming from the same people who complain about how modern blockbusters are just thinly strung together set pieces with no story in-between.  Pointless action scene after pointless action scene throwing hugely overwhelming visuals and then repeating the same thing over and over for 2 hours.

Godzilla 2014 establishes the story, teases us with the monsters in a way very similar to the way much loved movies from the 70's and 80's did.   It doesn't just throw 15-20 repetitive Kaiju fights at us over and over, it builds tension and makes the audience earn the money shot monster fights at the end.   It's definitely a throw back structure wise, and should be getting praise from people on here who constantly lament the fact that movies aren't put together the way they were back then.

But no, just a lot of bitching and complaining from people who can't even be happy when they finally get exactly what they've been asking for!

- shaun h - 05-21-2014

ABut I didn't get exactly what I was asking for: Characters with depth, with the right amount of build-up to the beasts!

- freeman - 05-22-2014

I can't agree that the characters were not amazing excluding Cranston.  For me, they were perfectly likeable which was really all I needed.  I didn't fall in love with them, but I cared.  It is the movies biggest weakness though.

But not the right amount of build up to the beasts??  That might have been this movies greatest strength!

- Nooj - 05-22-2014

Without some attachment to the characters (I didn't like them or hate them.  I just felt BLANK for them.), the movie's teasing didn't feel like a build.  Just a tease until Edwards delivered the goods that we were obviously all there to see.

I'm all for holding back on Godzilla.  That's certainly not my complaint with the film.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

Okay, lets get into this then because it deserves discussion.

Aaron Taylor Johnson is a neglected kid because his Dad works so hard.  He grows up to become a stable seemingly cool marine who isn't bogged down in his past though.  He ultimately helps his crazy Father with his ABSURD mission, doesn't get bogged down in misery and pity when he dies, saves and takes care of a young boy without feeling the need to gloat in the parents admiration after the fact, AND he's a soldier who does whatever jobs of importance present themselves to him without question because he's a fucking man, and he gets it done.  He's not stupid, he doesn't make groan worthy mistakes for the sake of contrived situations.

His wife we don't spend a lot of time with and she spends most of the movie understandably upset for her husband, but when the heat is on she realizes that Nurses are maybe some of the most important people on the planet and she does her job, even going so far as to send her son away so she can keep working and wait for her husband.

I get it if you didn't particularly care for these people, they weren't dripping with quirk or flash or depth or any of the sign posts of GREAT characters of fiction, but they were EXTREMELY empathetic moral people, generally smart, and they shut the fuck up and did what needed to be done.  Why on Earth would you be apathetic, and don't tell me "I don't like his face."

- Nooj - 05-22-2014

His face is fine.

And the details you lay out on your post, yes I gathered all of that from the movie as information.  Not engaging drama.  And when I say drama I don't mean "HWOOAAAAARGH ANGST!!!"  I mean actual dramatization that good writers do as storytellers.

There was something about the way the movie treated the human story that was so rote that I get more emotion out of reading your description of them as opposed to anything I got from the movie itself.

That's not totally true, of course.  Most of your description of Johnson's part is of the movie's opening from 15 years in the past.  I was all good with that stuff.  Most of that was due to Cranston.  It set me up for a movie that was going to do something with it.

And then it doesn't.  Not really.  It just ended up becoming a series of unfortunate events with Johnson not really looking like he felt one way or another about it.  I don't need him crying in agony the way Andrew Garfield does about 2 or 3 times in The Amazing Spider-Man.  I just find it weird that in a movie in which most everyone looks upon Godzilla with awe, Johnson seems to look up and go, "Huh..."

His face is fine.  It was just blank.

- chris dogg - 05-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Okay, lets get into this then because it deserves discussion.

Aaron Taylor Johnson is a neglected kid because his Dad works so hard.  He grows up to become a stable seemingly cool marine who isn't bogged down in his past though.  He ultimately helps his crazy Father with his ABSURD mission, doesn't get bogged down in misery and pity when he dies, saves and takes care of a young boy without feeling the need to gloat in the parents admiration after the fact, AND he's a soldier who does whatever jobs of importance present themselves to him without question because he's a fucking man, and he gets it done.  He's not stupid, he doesn't make groan worthy mistakes for the sake of contrived situations.

His wife we don't spend a lot of time with and she spends most of the movie understandably upset for her husband, but when the heat is on she realizes that Nurses are maybe some of the most important people on the planet and she does her job, even going so far as to send her son away so she can keep working and wait for her husband.

I get it if you didn't particularly care for these people, they weren't dripping with quirk or flash or depth or any of the sign posts of GREAT characters of fiction, but they were EXTREMELY empathetic moral people, generally smart, and they shut the fuck up and did what needed to be done.  Why on Earth would you be apathetic, and don't tell me "I don't like his face."

Yeah... I don't really care about any of that.

It doesn't matter to me how good or bad the human perspective plot is.  I just want to see some good monster action.  And I did.  But properly showing at least a minute or 2 of the Hawaii fight, even if it was hectic shaky cam and quick cuts, with full sound and scale to satisfy my craving until the final battle would've benefited greatly.  The buildup was perfect but there was no payoff.  Then they did it again in SF with the closing of the shelter doors.  It was like, "oh come the fuck on already".

I get the joke of trolling the audience with a 5 second silent highlight news reel but it wasn't a particularly good one.  My whole group and most of my audience basically tapped out of the movie right there. The 'Frisco cutaway didn't help matters whatsoever. There was a lot of disappointed discussion overhead afterwards.  Almost no one could get over the blue balls of Honolulu.

Its one of those good, but could've been so much better films.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

ALets say you saw the Hawaii fight. How does the final fight not be boring? There's only so much a giant monster fight can be, especially within the canon of Godzilla. Also, how interesting REALLY is a monster fight on its own?

If the monster fights are repetitive then that's the fault of whoever choreographs and animates them.  Its up to the filmakers to make each action scene or fight scene unique and interesting.

If that's their reasoning to only really show 1 fight in the movie then that's a failure on their part, not the intrinsic nature Kaiju battles.

EDIT;

Some of the best Godzilla films have 1 or 2 quick battles in the prior acts to whet your appetite for the final showdown.  I wasn't ever bored by any of those because they usually play out differently each time as to not get boring.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

AI just want to go through the absurd hyperbole of the pre release thread, and find out who was the most hyped and who is the biggest hater, and just fucking bask in your frustration with a great movie.

I LOVE IT!

lol

I never said I hated the movie now did I?  Quite the opposite in fact. I was the only one of my group to actually like it.  I just think we could've gotten a film with the tone and granduer that the trailers built up.  That film would've been great.  I want to see that film.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

I'm just saying I was a bit confused.  People were LOOOOOOSING their minds in excitement, just going ape shit and I didn't really get it.  Instead I gave it a chance on cheap Tuesday and adored it.  I'm thinking that low expectations is the best way to approach anything ever.

- Nooj - 05-22-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

'm thinking that low expectations is the best way to approach anything ever.

No shit.

But that's not something you can always control.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

WHY U SO MEEN TOO MEE?!

- Nooj - 05-22-2014

ACan't control it.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

AI'm listening to the slash film review of this.

Devindra is driving me fucking NUTS. There has never been a more annoying human.

- jackson - 05-22-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

Yeah... My whole group and most of my audience basically tapped out of the movie right there.

How could you possibly know this?  Did you go around conducting an informal pole of audience members as they left the theater?  When I'm in a dark theater full of movie goers the best I can do is be generally aware of people one seat in all directions.  (Unless they have their phones out and some nut pulls a knife on them.)

- cccc - 05-22-2014

You can't.    Some audiences are going to hoot and by more vocal and some are just going to be quiet.  It's hard to gage a audiences unless you ask them.   Both of the times I saw it the audience was vocal and clapped at the end.

There were groans and boos.  There was a moment of silence when the credits began.  Theres usually a happy and satisfied commotion right after big event movies if it went over well. Leaving the auditorium there was an obvious sense of disappointment on the majority of faces.  The chatter overhead leaving, in the hallways, in the bathroom, in the lobby, outside, in the parking lot, was negative.  If there was anybody else that enjoyed it like me I didn't hear it.

I normally see smiling faces and happy chatter after a movie that people generally enjoyed.  This was depressing.

My second viewing in IMAX went over better, but not by much.  The chick in the row behind us when the Honolulu Godzilla reveal happened, "Finally they show him... *cut to silent anticlimactic TV newsflash* Oh fuck this movie!"

At least there were cheers for atomic breath and atomic breath fatality.  1 guy even started applauding and whooping at the end.  No one joined him.  I felt bad.

My 1st viewing was dead silent besides the 2 aformentioned battle cutaways. I'm too used to energetic crowds who laugh and cheer at the right moments.

I felt like cheering at a couple of moments during the final battle, but I didn't want to be "that guy".

This movie is definitely devisive.

- cccc - 05-22-2014

Oh, there's no doubt it's a love it or hate it mentality.  Just going by twitter you see it.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

My crowd loved it.  It sounds like your crowd just wanted mindless monster fighting instead of beautifully crafted monster movie.

Quote:
My second viewing in IMAX went over better, but not by much.  The chick in the row behind us when the Honolulu Godzilla reveal happened, "Finally they show him... *cut to silent anticlimactic TV newsflash* Oh fuck this movie!"

*In the voice of Tywin Lannister*

The whims and wishes of the sheep do not concern the lions.  People are stupid.  People are impatient.  People do not know what they want.  Your recount of a stupid person do not a consensus make, and that's not opinion, it's FACT.

- cccc - 05-22-2014

Yeah, I don't get it myself, but what are you gonna do.  I've seen all Transformers in the theater and each time it was dead silence and zero cheers, but people seem to like them by the insane amounts of money they make.  But these are just sample sizes per personal experience.  The good news is regardless we'll get a sequel on a solid world building foundation.

- jackson - 05-22-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

There were groans and boos.  There was a moment of silence when the credits began.  Theres usually a happy and satisfied commotion right after big event movies if it went over well. Leaving the auditorium there was an obvious sense of disappointment on the majority of faces.  The chatter overhead leaving, in the hallways, in the bathroom, in the lobby, outside, in the parking lot, was negative.  If there was anybody else that enjoyed it like me I didn't hear it.

I normally see smiling faces and happy chatter after a movie that people generally enjoyed.  This was depressing.

At least there were cheers for atomic breath and atomic breath fatality.  1 guy even started applauding and whooping at the end.  No one joined him.  I felt bad.

My 1st viewing was dead silent besides the 2 aformentioned battle cutaways. I'm too used to energetic crowds who laugh and cheer at the right moments.

I felt like cheering at a couple of moments during the final battle, but I didn't want to be "that guy".

This movie is definitely devisive.

The audience applauded both times I saw it.  I recommend you move to some place where people don't hate movies just in general.

- cccc - 05-22-2014

If the audience can't get up for the final battle I don't know what to say?  Makes me feel sorry for people who can't enjoy something so beautifully crafted with at least two great moments when most blockbuster blow their wad by the end and most don't stick it like this does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

The audience applauded both times I saw it.  I recommend you move to some place where people don't hate movies just in general.

My first time was outside my comfort zone.  My second time was at my usual spot.  They usually cheer at the end of fun event movies.  They cheered at the end of ASM2 for crying out loud.

- freeman - 05-22-2014

Well now we KNOW you live in the fucking Twilight Zone.

Imagine cheering Spider-Man on after THAT ending.

Well the final moment of ASM2 is meant to pump you up that "Spider-Man is back in action baby!"  after he takes that depressed sabbatical.  My audience ate it up.

I thought it was alright.  Definitely don't think its "ungh, worst Spider-Man movie ever ungh" like a lot of people think.  That thing generated mega hate.