The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- MichaelM - 05-26-2014

You people may think he's joking about the sleeping.

He's not.

- Nooj - 05-26-2014

I ABSOLUTELY am not joking.

- shaun h - 05-26-2014

Which is why I corrected it. Godzzzzzzzzzzzzzilla, amiritenooj?

- Nooj - 05-26-2014

natch

- shaun h - 05-26-2014

Why is than fan being powered by a sleeping mouth.

- Nooj - 05-26-2014

It's Gondry.  Just go with it.

- ska oreo - 05-26-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

It's more moving when I read your post on it than the movie.

I don't deny that there is material there.  It's how the movie treats it.

It's even more disappointing BECAUSE I'm seeing that stuff in there.  But it's in there like a dissertation as opposed to compelling drama.

Agreed. Like I said before, it seems to be setting up all this family drama and then immediately drops it once Cranston exits the picture. It's disappointing because Godzilla could have been something more than merely spectacle--but it does spectacle so damn good.  SO I FORGIVE IT.

- shaun h - 05-26-2014

Wise man say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

- freeman - 05-26-2014

AHow can a movie be late? And is late pizza any less delicious? If anything the tease makes it better.

- ska oreo - 05-26-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

How can a movie be late? And is late pizza any less delicious? If anything the tease makes it better.

Ugh. I've had way too much pizza on base.

BUT I CAN'T STOP EATING IT. WHY?!!

- freeman - 05-26-2014

AI won't argue with you guys on the characters anymore, you're all mostly right, I'll just say I was engaged. But Cranston being too big? I completely disagree, I think he played it absolutely to the anger and emotional truth that character would be feeling. If I was him I'd be PISSED.

What I will say in this movies favour is that the music is on occasion absolutely fucking spectacular.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzHy2QkiYA[/VIDEO]

- ska oreo - 05-26-2014

ARight? Edwards really does nail the "1950s Japanese sci-fi film" vibe particularly well.

- Nooj - 05-26-2014

AThe music felt absolutely right.

I'd like it to have more melody, but that's just me being selfish.

- cylon baby - 05-26-2014

Much as I like and agree with Jokezilla's post above, I have to say that Ford not dying at the end disappointed me.  When he was lying there on the boat with the nuke set to go off, that seemed to be a neat closing of the circle with both his Mother and his Father. And it also dramatizes the human cost of the MUTO's in a way that seeing nameless extras perish can't.

I dunno, I was warped spoiled by the happy/not happy ending of Time Bandits low those many years ago, so I expect a cold harsh wind to blow across the soundtrack at the end of every movie now.

- slim - 05-26-2014

I listened to the Empire podcast interview with Edwards, and he defended the early exit of the Joe Brody character by saying that, basically, there was nothing he could then add to the story that couldn't be provided by other characters... Of course, that begs the question as to why he's there in the first place. Like I wrote a page or so back, nothing Brody does really has any impact on the story, except to get Ford to Japan-- and their relationship is purely incidental to whatever happenstance drives Ford's story for the rest of the movie.

Thing is, (if I may be forgiven a little fan-wankery here) I think there could have been a great way to let Brody stick around... If he were on a Captain Ahab-like "Destroy All Monsters!" kick out of vengeance for his dead wife. The military here was presented as having a pretty-even keel, so you could have the two scientists-- Brody and Serizawa-- each with the Admiral's ear, each advocating for different ways to deal with the monster. Brody could be all for the nuke option while Serizawa sticks with his present "let nature take its course/let them fight" position. Ford could still take his particular journey, and eventually be endangered by the strategy his father is pushing for...

I don't know, it just seems like there was a missed opportunity for human-level conflict that would have made those portions punchier when they've cut away from all the giant-monster-destructo action. And, frankly, I think the movie could have used more of Cranston's hysterical emoting.

(It's possible I'm also recalling some MST3K episode in which a monster-movie scientist or military officer-- as someone inevitably does-- stands up at the table and says "I think it's time we considered the nuclear option." And Joel or one of the 'bots called out, "Sit down, Dad!")

- cccc - 05-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post

I listened to the Empire podcast interview with Edwards, and he defended the early exit of the Joe Brody character by saying that, basically, there was nothing he could then add to the story that couldn't be provided by other characters... Of course, that begs the question as to why he's there in the first place. Like I wrote a page or so back, nothing Brody does really has any impact on the story, except to get Ford to Japan-- and their relationship is purely incidental to whatever happenstance drives Ford's story for the rest of the movie.

Thing is, (if I may be forgiven a little fan-wankery here) I think there could have been a great way to let Brody stick around... If he were on a Captain Ahab-like "Destroy All Monsters!" kick out of vengeance for his dead wife. The military here was presented as having a pretty-even keel, so you could have the two scientists-- Brody and Serizawa-- each with the Admiral's ear, each advocating for different ways to deal with the monster. Brody could be all for the nuke option while Serizawa sticks with his present "let nature take its course/let them fight" position. Ford could still take his particular journey, and eventually be endangered by the strategy his father is pushing for...

I don't know, it just seems like there was a missed opportunity for human-level conflict that would have made those portions punchier when they've cut away from all the giant-monster-destructo action. And, frankly, I think the movie could have used more of Cranston's hysterical emoting.

(It's possible I'm also recalling some MST3K episode in which a monster-movie scientist or military officer-- as someone inevitably does-- stands up at the table and says "I think it's time we considered the nuclear option." And Joel or one of the 'bots called out, "Sit down, Dad!")

He's there for Muto's background and reveal.  And early emotional energy.   Thomas Tull said this week that there is going to be an extended cut of the film for vid, but said it's up to Edwards on what that cut is.

- brucel - 05-26-2014

ACouldn't get past multiple instances of the United states military losing sight of several hundred feet tall monsters.

- slim - 05-26-2014

AHis emotional energy doesn't carry through the rest of the story, though, does it? And any information regarding the monsters could have been handled through other characters, just as Edwards describes for the film after Brody makes his exit... Look, it's always good to have Cranston around, but that first portion of the movie feels disjointed from the rest of the picture to me, and I think they could have paid it off better.

I would naturally be interested in seeing an extended cut, but I wonder how much more it could really address any of that.

- chaz - 05-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post

Couldn't get past multiple instances of the United states military losing sight of several hundred feet tall monsters.

The military couldn't use radar to track the male MUTO because it admitted EMP pulses. They lost visual on Godzilla because he can swim faster than the ships.

- cylon baby - 05-27-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim View Post

His emotional energy doesn't carry through the rest of the story, though, does it? And any information regarding the monsters could have been handled through other characters, just as Edwards describes for the film after Brody makes his exit... Look, it's always good to have Cranston around, but that first portion of the movie feels disjointed from the rest of the picture to me, and I think they could have paid it off better.

I would naturally be interested in seeing an extended cut, but I wonder how much more it could really address any of that.

Cranston is important as a kind of Prophet for this new Age of Monsters that's started. And if you think of him as that kind of "madman who's seen the face of God" (or in this case, seen the blood stained footprints), his character really works.

- wd40 - 05-27-2014

I've yet to give my two cents - also because an emergency last weekend forced me to watch it this past weekend instead.  Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  My biggest peeve?  It was as convenient as Spider-Man 3.

I also think Ford was a pretty bad character to focus on, but I think he was played quite well by Taylor-Johnson.  My brother is enlisted in Reserves at this point and he's pretty much a one-dimensional, hard-ass all the time.

- chaz - 05-28-2014

Alternative Godzilla posters. The third one is my favorite.

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/alternative-godzilla-posters

- doc phibes - 05-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Alternative Godzilla posters. The third one is my favorite.

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/alternative-godzilla-posters

I was hoping one would say ATTACK OF THE MUTOS (with special appearance by Godzilla).

- Nooj - 05-28-2014

I really dig that first one.

- MichaelM - 05-28-2014

Last one's my fave. The rest don't really do much for me.

- cccc - 05-28-2014

Don't really like any of them.

- d.t. - 05-28-2014

Fourth one (aside from that over-used quote). The others don't seem to really get the point.

- cccc - 05-28-2014

Godzilla Vs. Biollante 2014.  Really beautiful stuff.   Bigger link.  Top notch!  http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/147/d/0/the_arrogance_of_man____by_blackmatter234-d7jzjb8.jpg

- d.t. - 05-28-2014

Hell yes to Biollante -- that fits in nicely with the whole man trying to control nature theme.

Hedora would be fun too -- change it from an alien to an ancient radiation monster that's been mutated and warped by man's pollution and waste.

- cylon baby - 05-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Hell yes to Biollante -- that fits in nicely with the whole man trying to control nature theme.

Hedora would be fun too -- change it from an alien to an ancient radiation monster that's been mutated and warped by man's pollution and waste.

Hell make Hedora 100% Human made; like a Monsanto Tomato that got out of hand....

- freeman - 05-28-2014

They can't do Rodan, because they basically did, only more interesting than what Rodan is.

- cccc - 05-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

They can't do Rodan, because they basically did, only more interesting than what Rodan is.

Agreed.  Rodan is boring as shit.  The Muto was much better and more interesting.

- cylon baby - 05-28-2014

SpaceGodzilla for the win!

That creature design is too cool to be wasted on the one shitty movie it was in.

http://jadensadventures.wikia.com/wiki/File:Monster_arts_space_godzilla_18_by_twohand-d4zz7rv.jpg

- cccc - 05-28-2014

Those titties.

- shaun h - 05-28-2014

They'd certainly help balance his saddlebags!