The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- subotai - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Oh my, such literalism.

It's not a psychic connection.  It's just the film giving the two a poetic cinematic moment to make the movie seem like more than just boring humans and some monster action.

Of course, it would've actually meant something had Ford Brody not been such a dullard.................

Just think how much better that scene would've been if they winked at each other.

- ska oreo - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Good god.  Then I guess you have the same problem with almost every SH ever made.  Wouldn't it be more stupid to have him tip toe around buildings trying to destroy the Muto's.  Wait!  Shit!  Let's me save the building before I kill you.

sssssh. Calm yourself, son. I like the movie, I promise. It's just a moment that I thought was fairly stupid.

- carnotaur3 - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

Just think how much better that scene would've been if they winked at each other.

They didn't?

- ska oreo - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

They didn't?

would have made it hotter.

And to answer CCC silly previous question: I don't have a problem with animals being humanized. Hell, the entire crux of the Planet of the apes films hinges on the humanization of the ape main characters. But in Godzilla, it feels like a really crappy way to justify Godzilla's destruction.

I thought Watanabe's suggestion that Godzilla is a force of good is kind of dumb.

- d.t. - 07-23-2014

Yeah, I liked the early suggestion that Godzilla was an indifferent force of destruction, basically existing to balance out shit like the MUTOs.

Trying to make him a hero seemed unnecessary.

- carnotaur3 - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

I thought Watanabe's suggestion that Godzilla is a force of good is kind of dumb.

His assumption is based on ZERO evidence beforehand too.

- MichaelM - 07-23-2014

I really wish the film would've made Serizawa, Elder Brody and Nurse Brody as the three leads. Think of the fun we could've had with a slightly batshit Serizawa basically worshipping Gojira - and if Brody had lived. Elle could have given us the ground-level perspective and also genuine human interest as someone who stays behind to care for the wounded and dying.

- turingmachine75 - 07-23-2014

A[quote name="D.T." url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/850#post_3750302"]Yeah, I liked the early suggestion that Godzilla was an indifferent force of destruction, basically existing to balance out shit like the MUTOs.

[/quote]

I liked those little bits that made him out to be a more intelligent being with agency as opposed to a simple destructive force. I just wish more work had gone into making it an actual character arc.

- Nooj - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

I really wish the film would've made Serizawa, Elder Brody and Nurse Brody as the three leads. Think of the fun we could've had with a slightly batshit Serizawa basically worshipping Gojira - and if Brody had lived. Elle could have given us the ground-level perspective and also genuine human interest as someone who stays behind to care for the wounded and dying.

oh god if only...

When you think about what we got instead, it sounds like a joke.

- ska oreo - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Holy crap. I think you made a better movie.

- doc phibes - 07-23-2014

I maintain that the "Don't worry, I'll take care of your kid" exchange through the closed train doors with the Japanese couple would have been sooo much better with a cranky, stressed Cranston.

AAgain, just how did Ford and the kid get off the broken tram? I'm still hung up on that and it would have been a perfect opportunity to make Ford an active participant in the film instead of a mostly passive observer.

- Nooj - 07-23-2014

AChill out, fellows!

This film is POST-HUMAN!!!

- mrbananagrabber - 07-23-2014

ASaw it again at my favorite theater pub. The good bits remain good, the bad bits bad. The editing is a disaster. Teasing the monsters kills the pacing, and wrecks the continuity (the MUTOS arrive in San Fransisco twice). The movie just deflates after the first monster wakes up.

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/850#post_3750381"]Chill out, fellows!

This film is POST-HUMAN!!![/quote]

Sure it was.

I know your being glib, but I'm curious, would you credit Dawn for being the same?

- Nooj - 07-23-2014

ANo. Because in that film... the humans, as stock as they were, painted a compelling conflict/drama with the apes. Humans still current.

I's say the pro-ape propaganda of Rise was more post-human... as far as you can take what was a BS justification of Dullzilla.

- cylon baby - 07-23-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

I don't think I would have liked the scene either way. It's so fucking on-the-nose, and eye-roll inducing I can't take it seriously. That's why they might as well have made it some telepathic bullshit because I felt that's what the director was doing... trying to probe my mind.

It IS on the nose, which is typical for a HOLLYWOOD production.

In the Toho films Godzilla often shares "moments" with the human characters, but the context is much different. In the 90's Godzilla X Ghidorah, a WWII Japanese solider encounters Pre-Gojira T-Rex on an island, then decades later, the Solider has become an industrialist, Godzilla walks up to his skyscraper, looks at him, then gives him a radioactive blast in the face.

Or in Godzilla Vs. Megagiruis (a film so awful that Shaun H likes it), a female solider who has a hard on for Godzilla is flying a jet near him, he stops, looks at her, then decides she's not worth the effort, and turns away.

They sound cheesy but they do work effectively in the films.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Yeah, I liked the early suggestion that Godzilla was an indifferent force of destruction, basically existing to balance out shit like the MUTOs.

But it was the Media that made him a hero. The same media that made Duck Dynasty and Kim Cardassian heroes. I bought it.

- cccc - 07-24-2014

- Nooj - 07-24-2014

You guys gonna get the blu-ray case with the PRESS HERE button for the roar?

Hahahahahahaha

- cccc - 07-24-2014

You mean the collectors edition?  Of course!   Who isn't?

- headless fett - 07-24-2014

Naturally!

- Reasor - 07-24-2014

AI like the fact that Godzilla comes across as more of an event than a character with an arc of his own. The idea that nature has an idealized status quo that it actively enforces is impossible for me to take seriously. I think this movie, though, lends itself to a reading where human characters, like Serizawa, project what they want to see onto an enigmatic being. This movie isn't Jurassic Park 3, where the pterodactyls come for Matthew McConaughey after Sam Neill condemns him, and McConaughey is thematically brought back to life after Neill forgives him. Having the monster articulate its own motives would have made the monster absurd, but I don't think this movie makes that mistake.

- waaaaaaaalt - 07-24-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

You guys gonna get the blu-ray case with the PRESS HERE button for the roar?

Hahahahahahaha

Is...is...that...real? Asking for a friend.

- chaz - 07-24-2014

Yes its real. I'll just be buying the normal Blu-Ray.

- Nooj - 07-25-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I like the fact that Godzilla comes across as more of an event than a character with an arc of his own. The idea that nature has an idealized status quo that it actively enforces is impossible for me to take seriously. I think this movie, though, lends itself to a reading where human characters, like Serizawa, project what they want to see onto an enigmatic being. This movie isn't Jurassic Park 3, where the pterodactyls come for Matthew McConaughey after Sam Neill condemns him, and McConaughey is thematically brought back to life after Neill forgives him. Having the monster articulate its own motives would have made the monster absurd, but I don't think this movie makes that mistake.

I love that you joke about McConaughey being in Jurassic Park 3.

- turingmachine75 - 07-25-2014

ADon't like that I stole these here raptor eggs? It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

- Reasor - 07-25-2014

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/850#post_3751072"]
I love that you joke about McConaughey being in Jurassic Park 3.
[/quote]

Oh, whoever the fuck it is. That guy and McConaughey were clearly grown on the same clone farm.

- Nooj - 07-25-2014

Alessandro Nivola?

He was Pollux Troy in Face/Off.

Pretty different careers they've had.

- levrock - 07-25-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Oh, whoever the fuck it is. That guy and McConaughey were clearly grown on the same clone farm.

See also: Josh Lucas

- MichaelM - 07-25-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by levrock View Post

See also: Josh Lucas

See, I was forever mixing up Lucas with Aaron Eckhart.

- turingmachine75 - 07-25-2014

AJosh Duhamel and Timothy Olyphant.

- chris dogg - 07-26-2014

Jane Krakowski and Weird Al Yankovic.

- cccc - 07-26-2014

Lose you shit guys!

Edwards is back and so is:  Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They played a Sizzle real at SDCC and the audience lost their minds.

Quote:

From the live feed at superherohype.com: 

EDouglasCS: They showed a bunch of old newsreel footage similar to the opening credits but it was interspersed with the tag: 

12:38 

EDouglasCS: "There is still one secret that remains hidden" 

EDouglasCS: "There are others" 

EDouglasCS: And then we see a shadow of what's clearly Rodan with the words "Codename: Rodan" 

12:39 

EDouglasCS: and then they show the old Mothra with the title "Codename: Mothra" 

EDouglasCS: and lastly.... "Codename: Ghidira!" 

EDouglasCS: "Monarch Assessment: Conflict Imminent"... 

EDouglasCS: and the words "LET THEM FIGHT" 

- kyle reese - 07-26-2014

Ooooohhhhhh.

Does that mean we get this before the Star Wars spinoff?

Edit: Read the SHH article...nope. Wahhh. Fuck that. So that means what, 2018?

- cccc - 07-26-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Ooooohhhhhh.

Does that mean we get this before the Star Wars spinoff?

Edit: Read the SHH article...nope. Wahhh. Fuck that. So that means what, 2018?

Yep.  Probably.