The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- headless fett - 07-26-2014

This and PACIFIC RIM 2 have filled my kaiju loving heart to the brim with happiness.

- user_32 - 07-26-2014

So they're obviously setting up this King Kong origin Skull Island to crossover with Godzilla eventually. Cause King Kong vs. Godzilla just made a trillion dollars.

- cccc - 07-26-2014

ANah. Skull Island is a prequel to king Kong.

- user_32 - 07-26-2014

Origin of King Kong. Read my post again.

- turingmachine75 - 07-26-2014

ANaw, keep the Kong out mah 'Zilla.

I don't know how I feel about the big three being brought into this.

Seatopians?

- headless fett - 07-26-2014

A modern era Megalon would be amazing.

Oh and that long delayed GODZILLA vs MEGALON Blu-Ray needs to be out ASAP! Jet Jaguar in HD is something today's kids need to experience!

- chaz - 07-26-2014

I can wait four years for another one. I trust Edwards to deliver the goods again. I want to see Godzilla have a WTF look on his face when his sees Ghidorah.

- chaz - 07-27-2014

The announcement of Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah being in Godzilla 2 is the number 1 trending topic on Facebook. All is right with the world.

- cccc - 07-27-2014

AI love that legendary is cracking out all these monster movies. Pac Rim 2, Warcraft, skull island, zilla 2. Just beautiful

- warlock1459 - 07-27-2014

AIf we can just get to a point where we get one Giant monster movie every summer that was as good as Godzilla for the foreseeable future I’m happy.
I hope they franchise that shit each monster gets its own film set in the same universe and at the end of each movie they are sent to Monster Island until they film a remake of Destroy All Monsters and in the stinger at the end Godzilla rises up out of the water outside of Skull Island or swims in to the Rift from pacific rim.

- darkmite8 - 07-27-2014

AProblem is, this modern Godzilla is 20+ times bigger than Kong. KK would have to parkour all the way up his back just to get to G's head for a punch.

And yeah, I remember that Toho equalized before in their first meet up. But I wouldnt buy it in this context. Not unless they adapted Rampage.

- levrock - 07-27-2014

I wonder if this new Skull Island is a true sequel/prequel to Jackson's "Kong". If not, and if it's a re-boot, they might adjust and increase Kong's size. If they're thinking ahead to Kong vs. Godzilla film, that is.

- Reasor - 07-27-2014

AIf I thought it would lead to a team-up against Mechani-Kong, I'd be down with the idea.

- darkmite8 - 07-28-2014

A[quote name="levrock" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/900_50#post_3752287"]I wonder if this new Skull Island is a true sequel/prequel to Jackson's "Kong". If not, and if it's a re-boot, they might adjust and increase Kong's size. If they're thinking ahead to Kong vs. Godzilla film, that is.
[/quote]
Maybe?

But I am looking forward to more of my favorite movue monster, KK.

- MichaelM - 07-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

The announcement of Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah being in Godzilla 2 is the number 1 trending topic on Facebook. All is right with the world.

I'm just not jazzed by this. First, didn't the current film pretty much do Rodan, and make it more interesting than previous versions?

Mothra just bores me.

Ghidorah is great....and I'm interested in seeing how the movie handles this specific monster.

- cylon baby - 07-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Ghidorah is great....and I'm interested in seeing how the movie handles this specific monster.

Completely agree. One of the biggest mistakes in the post 1984 Toho Godzilla films is that they emasculated King Ghidorah. In the 60's films he was a force of destruction that was a match for Godzilla (so much so that the King of the Monsters had to team up with other monsters to defeat him). Also there was this undercurrent of Ghidorah being a "Space Monster" and thus tougher than a mere Earth based beast. Plus there was the backstory of Ghidorah wandering the stars and wiping out whole civilizations (maybe at the behest of Planet X aliens, maybe just because).

I'd hate to see a version of Ghidorah that's just "well he's one more crazy Kaiju!".

- MichaelM - 07-28-2014

I'm assuming that if the next Godzilla film has all four monsters in it, the end fight will be earth's kaiju teaming up against Ghidorah.

And I'm wondering how they'll do this without it just seeming silly as hell. We already have silly Godzilla movies.

- mrbananagrabber - 07-28-2014

AGodzilla hasn't done that well financially though, right?

I'm just not seeing the budget needed for Four monsters.

... So a other five minutes of Godzilla in a two hour movie.

- cccc - 07-28-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Godzilla hasn't done that well financially though, right?

I'm just not seeing the budget needed for Four monsters.

... So a other five minutes of Godzilla in a two hour movie.

They are going for 6 minutes for part 2.

- Pither - 07-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Completely agree. One of the biggest mistakes in the post 1984 Toho Godzilla films is that they emasculated King Ghidorah.

You weren't impressed by the Ghidorah that was made up of cuddly future-pet thingies? I have a feeling they'll go the "destroyer of worlds" route. We've already had ancient monsters rising from the earth, so a space monster seems like the next logical step. It's logical to me, anyway.

- darkmite8 - 07-28-2014

AId rather they escalate to 2, instead of 3 more. Especially for their first US appearance. I dont want them to get teeny amounts of screen attention.

Edit: Upon further reflection, it does demonstrate a huge show of faith on Toho's part to lend their other big hitters.

Some interesting points from Grace Randolph on BO, casting, and targeting the Asian market better...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_Gp2lmG1Q

- chaz - 07-29-2014

I've heard that Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah won't all be in the sequel together. Maybe Ghidorah is being saved for part 3. I would set up his arrive with a post credits scene in part 2. A mentor falls the Earth. It splits open, sparks fly out of it, Ghidorah's screeching is heard and then the screen goes black.

I don't want to see a new Godzilla vs King Kong. If you want to view it realistically the fight would be over in two hits, Godzilla hits Kong and Kong his the ground.

I believe that Godzilla's gross is well past $400,000,000.

- Reasor - 07-29-2014

AAs heavily as this year's movie reworked the mythology of Godzilla, there's no telling what the stories behind these other kaiju will be in the sequel. If Garth Edwards and company want to build on the post-human themes of this year's movie, they could easily be ancient monstrosities who were too stubborn to go extinct, emerging only now in response to Godzilla's clash with the M.U.T.O., presaging nature's reassertion of a state before the advent of man.

- cccc - 07-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I've heard that Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah won't all be in the sequel together. Maybe Ghidorah is being saved for part 3. I would set up his arrive with a post credits scene in part 2. A mentor falls the Earth. It splits open, sparks fly out of it, Ghidorah's screeching is heard and then the screen goes black.

I don't want to see a new Godzilla vs King Kong. If you want to view it realistically the fight would be over in two hits, Godzilla hits Kong and Kong his the ground.

I believe that Godzilla's gross is well past $400,000,000.

It hit 500M yesterday.

- MichaelM - 07-29-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

If Garth Edwards and company want to build on the post-human themes of this year's movie, they could easily be ancient monstrosities who were too stubborn to go extinct, emerging only now in response to Godzilla's clash with the M.U.T.O., presaging nature's reassertion of a state before the advent of man.

Yes, they could work this angle. I hope the second film has stronger, clearer themes, though. I feel like they had some murky ideas going with this one, but were focused much more on the surface stuff (done very well) than underlying ideas.

- cccc - 07-29-2014

ASo they want Joe Cornish to direct Skull Island. Interesting.

- kyle reese - 07-29-2014

King Ghidorah should just fly in from space, and start fucking up a random city for no apparent reason. Godzilla wakes up from hibernation groggy and in a real bad mood, and he's got to take it out on somebody.

Meanwhile, in a toxic waste dump in Scottsdale AZ, a moth accidentally flies into a puddle Substance Z. It mutates and gets really big and becomes Mothra! Mothra's theme/morality is for environmental conservation, so he hauls ass to the Republican National Convention to attack corrupt politicians and lobbyists with his fuzzy thingies.

Also meanwhile, a sinkhole opens in the middle of Exit 45 off the New Jersey turnpike. Rodan flies out of it. His morality/allignment is that he really hates New Jersey, and if he has to live there, everybody else should be just as miserable as he is. He hauls ass to the Ben N' Jerry's ice cream factory in Vermont.

Oh, in the opening scene For Brody blows his brains out because he fucked up so bad at the end of Godzilla '14. He couldn't bear the shame of his life debt to Godzilla.

Then it turns out that Go-Go Disco Aliens are remote controlling King Ghidorah from their secret base on the dark side of the moon.

- Fafhrd - 07-29-2014

In the first film they say that Godzilla's species adapted for the bottom of the ocean and subterranean environments in response to the reduction of surface radioactivity on Earth, allowing them to go deeper where there are denser pockets of radioactive elements.

I could see them saying Ghidorah's species adapted in the opposite direction, going from a flying species to a space-going species and drawing sustenance from solar wind and gamma ray bursts and such. The signals from the MUTOs drawing Ghidorah's attention the same way it did Godzilla.

- headless fett - 07-30-2014

I definitely want to see Ghidorah as a space based monster since that's always been his origin.   As for Mothra and Rodan, those are pretty easy to do.

- darkmite8 - 08-06-2014

ANot a new article, so apologies if it's been posted already.

A flaw in an otherwise solid genre effort. ..
http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/godzilla-boring-white-guy-problem/

- ska oreo - 08-06-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

Not a new article, so apologies if it's been posted already.

A flaw in an otherwise solid genre effort. ..
http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/godzilla-boring-white-guy-problem/

yeah. sigh. yeah.

- Pither - 08-06-2014

Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to argue in favor of Ford, regardless of what they thought of the movie. And I'd be very okay if he didn't return for the sequel. It would make more sense to shift focus to the people researching Godzilla, anyway.

- Nooj - 08-06-2014

ANO!!!

BRING BACK THE POST-HUMAN WHITE DUDE

- Pither - 08-06-2014

Now that I think about it more, Ken Watanabe does need someone to explain things to...

- Nooj - 08-06-2014

AI'd prefer Watanabe just talking to himself.