The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- cccc - 09-15-2014

Loved that scene.  I gasped hoping his meter wasn't wrong.  Whew.

- shaun h - 09-15-2014

AGasped? The movie had barely begun, what possibly could've happened? And his "Level of Scientist" plunged all the way down to PROMETHEUS levels of stupid.

- Nooj - 09-15-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Loved that scene.  I gasped hoping his meter wasn't wrong.  Whew.

Very funny, cccc!

- Fafhrd - 09-16-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Gasped? The movie had barely begun, what possibly could've happened? And his "Level of Scientist" plunged all the way down to PROMETHEUS levels of stupid.

It was nowhere near Prometheus level dumb. They were in a nuclear disaster exclusion zone and their geiger counters registered no radiation, and there were perfectly healthy animals running around. By every possible measure it was perfectly safe.

- darkmite8 - 09-17-2014

AAnd then the penis snakes showed up!

Mothrod!

- grubstreeter - 09-17-2014

I loved this in theaters. I was a big G fan in my youth, and I had a great time with this. I recognized the same flaws other saw, but they didn't bother me because I was so taken with the scope and scale of the film.

And if the plotting was too convenient and if Aaron Taylor-Johnson wasn't the most charismatic leading man in the world, I forgave it because the monsters and destruction were so awesome. (Awesome in the way it used to mean, before it just meant good pizza.)

So I picked up the blu ray and gave this a view last night.

So much of what I loved just doesn't come across at home. I saw this in Imax 3D and my TV just can't compete. Any movie will be different at home of course, but this film especially suffers from the transition.

- MrSaxon - 09-17-2014

I saw this movie for the first time on a television screen and thought it was fantastic. I can only imagine how good it must have looked on the cinema screen. This is definitely the best big budget blockbuster movie I've seen this year (not that the competition has been too great).

- merriweather - 09-17-2014

I haven't waded through the entire thread so forgive me if this has been put forward before, but the choice to go ahead with Taylor Johnson as the lead rather than Cranston is just baffling. I really, really like the film, but it's impossible to ignore the dullness of Taylor Johnson as the protagonist. Dramatically speaking, Cranston losing his son to his obsession, and that being the catalyst for snapping out of his mania and trekking across the world to ensure the safety of his grandkids, to do for them what he didn't do for his son, is far more dramatically satisfying and has the added bonus of putting a far more magnetic performer front-and-center. As it is, ATJ is just there. We never see the trauma of his childhood, we barely see his relationship with his father or wife, and yet we're expected to just go with him as the hero after watching forty minutes of Cranston going through Hell and generally acting up a storm.

- MichaelM - 09-17-2014

Merriweather, I think that's been the general consensus. (Cranston was wasted, Taylor Johnson's part was underwritten, etc.)

I've posited, echoes by others, that the film would have benefited from following Cranston, Watanabe and Olsen around. All three are genuinely interesting characters, all three give the camera reasons to be in on the action, and all three have easily sketched arcs. Like UNSPECIFIC RIMJOB, it appears studio conservatism forced the story to follow around the least interesting character: the bland white guy lead.

- Nooj - 09-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

So I picked up the blu ray and gave this a view last night.

So much of what I loved just doesn't come across at home. I saw this in Imax 3D and my TV just can't compete. Any movie will be different at home of course, but this film especially suffers from the transition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

I haven't waded through the entire thread so forgive me if this has been put forward before, but the choice to go ahead with Taylor Johnson as the lead rather than Cranston is just baffling. I really, really like the film, but it's impossible to ignore the dullness of Taylor Johnson as the protagonist. Dramatically speaking, Cranston losing his son to his obsession, and that being the catalyst for snapping out of his mania and trekking across the world to ensure the safety of his grandkids, to do for them what he didn't do for his son, is far more dramatically satisfying and has the added bonus of putting a far more magnetic performer front-and-center. As it is, ATJ is just there. We never see the trauma of his childhood, we barely see his relationship with his father or wife, and yet we're expected to just go with him as the hero after watching forty minutes of Cranston going through Hell and generally acting up a storm.

(nods nods)

desho desho

you will see...

YOU WILL ALL SEE!!!!!

- Codename - 09-18-2014

Just finished watching it and I have to agree with the general consensus:

- Aaron Taylor-Johnson was massively miscast.  I was fine with the role itself but it needed a much more charismatic actor to carry so much of the film.

- Cranston was tragically wasted.  Making him the lead would have been muuuuch better.

- I could have used more Watanabe but then, I can always use more Watanabe.

- I also really liked that the military was portrayed as being much more level-headed and helpful than usual for disaster/monster films.

But most importantly...

- Everything with Godzilla and the MUTO's was fucking awesome! I appreciate the teasing they do throughout the film as it really makes you much more invested in the final fight.  You could really feel the scope and awe when these titans are on screen.  And the fights really had a sense of weight here.  When Godzilla Tail Whips the male MUTO you can really feel the impact.

Overall, I have to say I really enjoyed it.  It's not a particularly GREAT film but it's extremely well shot and had me invested throughout.  Miscast lead aside.

However, as much as I liked it, I  enjoyed Pacific Rim more.  This is just because I grew up watching Power Rangers instead of Godzilla movies so I got much more of a kick from the fights in PR than here.  Godzilla is definitely the better made film of the two.

- Nooj - 09-18-2014

AWatched the big big finale of the movie on a friend's 120 inch projector screen.

(shrug)

Good score though.

- turingmachine75 - 09-18-2014

AAll of my recollections of that big finale feel strangely found footage.

- Nooj - 09-18-2014

That's not totally surprising.  A lot of what we see of the monsters is fairly shakey (but not annoyingly so), underexposed, and from ground-level.

- cccc - 09-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

That's not totally surprising.  A lot of what we see of the monsters is fairly shakey (but brilliantly so), underexposed, and from ground-level.

Agreed it was so well shot.  ; - )

- Nooj - 09-19-2014

AYes, it was well shot and realized.

Why the wink? Did you think it was awful? Oh alright then.

- d.t. - 09-19-2014

The movie switches from ground-level to appropriate eye-level shots as called for. It establishes the scale and massiveness of the fighting taking place, but also moves the camera around when the focus shifts from the human aspect to Godzilla's perspective.

It's kind of brilliant in how it handles it all in such a seamless manner.

- Codename - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

The movie switches from ground-level to appropriate eye-level shots as called for. It establishes the scale and massiveness of the fighting taking place, but also moves the camera around when the focus shifts from the human aspect to Godzilla's perspective.

It's kind of brilliant in how it handles it all in such a seamless manner.

This.

If the finale didn't pay off as well as it did, WHEN it did, I would have absolutely hated this film.  The cutting between Godzilla vs. MUTOS and the SF guys trying to get the bomb to the boat was extremely well done.  Showing the SF guys running in the foreground with the Kaiju rampaging in the back was great.

- wydren - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

This.

If the finale didn't pay off as well as it did, WHEN it did, I would have absolutely hated this film.  The cutting between Godzilla vs. MUTOS and the SF guys trying to get the bomb to the boat was extremely well done.  Showing the SF guys running in the foreground with the Kaiju rampaging in the back was great.

I still say one of my favorite scenes of the year is when it shows the soldiers reacting to Godzilla's atomic breath.

- MichaelM - 09-19-2014

Watched this on blu last night - third time through.

Even stronger this time. For me, at least, the film didn't lag; definitely a more deliberate pace than most tentpoles, but it didn't feel like an hour before the big G shows up. On repeat viewings, Cranston does get a bit histrionic; it's fun, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire film of that kind of performance.

Taylor-Johnson actually worked for me this time through. I felt like I could easily understand him being so "flat" - that is, compressed and controlled. His entire life has been about burying the past and strong feelings - and his job requires a pretty steady hand, too. I'm not saying the film wouldn't have benefited from a more sharply drawn protagonist (and I still think we could have had a really GREAT movie with Cranston, Watanabe and Olsen as the leads), but I don't think he's this black hole like Hunnam was in PACIFIC RIM.

Also, once everything converges on SF, I think the film fucking HUMS along. So many great visual choices, and the film tells the story really effectively. It might be my childhood watching Godzilla movies - it might be being glad to be able to cheer for the monster - but I was struck by how much more this film works for me versus PACIFIC RIM. PR was sorta fun but left zero impression on me; I couldn't give a fuck about who won which battle. Plus SO MUCH RAIN. GODZILLA managed to get me invested in the final battle and outcome, and I felt a vicarious, empathetic thrill of rage when Godzilla blasted the MUTOs with the atomic breath.

As the adult version of someone who grew up loving Godzilla movies, I'm pretty damn happy with what we have.

- shaun h - 09-19-2014

You lambasting HORRIFIC RIMJOB over the rain (at night) never gets old.

- merriweather - 09-19-2014

GODZILLA is so much better than PACIFIC RIM, and one of the key reasons for me is because it shows our reaction as a society to such crazy events instead of tossing off a load of world-building information wholesale in a five-minute prologue. I like RIM's universe, but it baffles me as to why del Toro thought jumping to the end of the Jaeger program was a more compelling and exciting approach than telling the story of the kaiju's arrival.

- nexus-7 - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Watched this the other night on my friend's 3D TV, and oddly enough this stuff looked awful (the 3D aspect, I mean). It looked like people running around in a theater in front of the screen while a Godzilla film was playing. The foreground soldiers were popping, but the background battle had little/no depth. I'm curious to see those parts again in 2D.

- MichaelM - 09-19-2014

It looked fucking GREAT in 2D on my system (42" plasma, Sony blu ray player).

- waaaaaaaalt - 09-19-2014

Great but that last fight scene was a bit too dark. Some people say it wasn't that dark in the theater.

Also I just read that there was supposed to be a director's cut. Maybe that will explain something that I don't quite understand. So we are saying that Godzilla showed up and then the bomb testing was just a ruse to kill him right? So are we saying that he has been awake and around for all those years and no one has seen him since the bombs? No one has seen a giant creature until the other creatures show show up?

- MichaelM - 09-19-2014

No, it's explained in the film.

The first nuclear-powered subs attract Godzilla, thus making modern humans aware of him. The Bikini atoll "testing" was actually meant to kill him; they used the radioactivity of the nuke to lure Godzilla, then detonated. He hadn't been seen since, so they assumed he'd been destroyed.

When the MUTOs became active, Godzilla showed up to restore balance/blast the fuck out of them with atomic breath.

- merriweather - 09-19-2014

Godzilla likes chubby bisexual chicks with loads of piercings. The MUTOs being in San Fran when he got there was just a total coincidence.

- cccc - 09-19-2014

Watched it last night.  Real good transfer, very dark (darker then in the theater) but so damn beautiful.

I adore this damn movie.  I can watch this and Monsters and never tire of it.  So many beautiful images.

Really, really curious to see what Edwards does with this Star Wars movie.

- shaun h - 09-19-2014

AYeah, like not cut away during the first hour every time it starts to get exciting, for one.

- chris dogg - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Yeah, like not cut away during the first hour every time it starts to get exciting, for one.

In one of the featurettes Edwards takes great joy in explaining how he took great joy in trolling the audience by not showing the Honolulu fight after that perfect buildup.

Meh

- ska oreo - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

GODZILLA is so much better than PACIFIC RIM, and one of the key reasons for me is because it shows our reaction as a society to such crazy events instead of tossing off a load of world-building information wholesale in a five-minute prologue. I like RIM's universe, but it baffles me as to why del Toro thought jumping to the end of the Jaeger program was a more compelling and exciting approach than telling the story of the kaiju's arrival.

Pretty much. Most of Pacific Rim takes place in that base, which really sucks any sort of fun away from the film.

- ska oreo - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Yeah, like not cut away during the first hour every time it starts to get exciting, for one.

Meh. I like it because it does seem to be deliberately trolling, and is hilarious as a result.

- cccc - 09-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

In one of the featurettes Edwards takes great joy in explaining how he took great joy in trolling the audience by not showing the Honolulu fight after that perfect buildup.

Meh

That was a brilliant cut away though.  You will appreciate it in time.

- Nooj - 09-19-2014

AI appreciated it.

Still a weak film.

- freeman - 09-19-2014

Have you considered that your opinion is weak?