The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- chris dogg - 09-20-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Has anyone seen the original, 1954 Godzilla?

I love the Godzilla franchise in general, but the original is the only one I actively care about. Watching that film and then watching this new one, you understand what they were going for, and it's the best possible angle on the material. It's a damn-near perfect in terms of a modern-day homage to the original.

That would be the case if it was only Godzilla doing his thing while the government and military try to stop him.  But they also adapted the several films where he faces off with other monsters.  There just wasn't enough of it.  Hell, we didn't even really get enough of any monster properly rampaging or owning the armed forces.  Its mostly off screen or in quick flashes of security footage.

Again, I get what they were going for.  I just didn't really enjoy it.  I'm still of a mind it was for budgetary reasons though.  That or they didn't trust the quality of their CG work to stand up over longer periods in the daylight.

- Nooj - 09-20-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

Again, I get what they were going for.  I just didn't really enjoy it.  I'm still of a mind it was for budgetary reasons though.  That or they didn't trust the quality of their CG work to stand up over longer periods in the daylight.

I wouldn't agree with that.  I think they had the budget and FX work they needed to make exactly what Edwards was going for.

And they did it!

If only they'd had a worthy script...

- freeman - 09-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

The man made

FIVE-HUNDRED DAYS OF SUMMER!!!

You give him HOMAGE.

Oh, you mean that mediocre rom com that has been put on a pedestal despite being a studios artificial vision of "indie movies"?  That movie?  That thing?

- Nooj - 09-20-2014

hahahah exactly

- grubstreeter - 09-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Has anyone seen the original, 1954 Godzilla?

I love the Godzilla franchise in general, but the original is the only one I actively care about. Watching that film and then watching this new one, you understand what they were going for, and it's the best possible angle on the material. It's a damn-near perfect in terms of a modern-day homage to the original.

Oh hell yes. I have the Criterion blu. Classic, classic movie. Very dark and odd, amazing score - they don't make 'em like that anymore.

- chaz - 09-20-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I'd be interested to know how the sequels intend to keep the fighting interesting. They have more or less blown the load.

State of the art CGI will be used to bring Ghidorah to the big screen. I don't think the load has been blown yet.

I also recommend the 54 Gojira. Its not a fun B Movie with dudes in monster suits fighting each other and crushing model buildings; its an unsettling blunt metaphor for the bomb.

- waaaaaaaalt - 09-20-2014

Yeah see the Criterion blu-ray.

- cccc - 09-21-2014

Quote:

Actually curious to see how Edwards will change up his approach to this property.  I mean, he HAS to have heard the criticisms of the film.

Not the 'lack of Godzilla.'  Because that's a legitimate creative choice I had no problem with.  But in regards to his wasteful non-use of a strong cast.  Is he gonna ignore it and continue on his way?  Or is he gonna try to put some more care into that aspect with whoever gets hired to write the new one (I can't remember if that info has already come out).

As we've all seen, filmmakers reacting to the criticisms of one movie and addressing it in a sequel ALWAYS turns out wonderful!

SEE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2!!!

Except Legendary ain't going to try to control the IP and fuck with it, Edwards has basically full control, and seeing that Destroy all Monsters is his fav I'm pretty confident that this won't be a Amazing SM crap.

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

Oh, this stuff always starts with the best of intentions...

... and then...

- mrbananagrabber - 09-21-2014

ATo make clear: cutting away from Honolulu was a poor decision, because it doesnt effectivley establish stakes for the climax.

There's a balance between everything being explicit, and subtily inferred, and this goes waaaay to far in the "audience fills in the blanks like mad libs" direction.

But six people worked on the script, and only one who knew/cared about thee property.

- freeman - 09-21-2014

AIt doesn't establish stakes for the climax? What in the hell are you even talking about?

- MichaelM - 09-21-2014

Yeah, that's a really weird and borderline nonsensical critique. The "stakes" were San Francisco (and then presumably much of the world) being obliterated by the MUTOs. The stakes for Godzilla were....survival.

I'm already itching to watch it again.

- turingmachine75 - 09-21-2014

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/1100#post_3777476"]The stakes for Godzilla were....survival.[/quote]

I found the predator/prey relationship between Godzilla and the bugs to be kinda vague.

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

Doesn't predator/prey indicate Godzilla as a hunter?  That's clearly not the case since Godzilla doesn't eat the MUTOs.  He just kills them.

- freeman - 09-21-2014

So if humans hunt animals for sport and not meat we are no longer predators?

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

Nope.  Just assholes.

I'm cool with Godzilla being an asshole though.  He's like Homer or Stampy.

Godzilla totally steals a shot from this episode.

- cccc - 09-21-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

To make clear: cutting away from Honolulu was a poor decision, because it doesnt effectivley establish stakes for the climax.

Stakes?  Two giant monsters are running rampant.  Then another was called on to fuck up the other two.  I think it was established pretty damn well.

- cccc - 09-21-2014

Quote:

Doesn't predator/prey indicate Godzilla as a hunter?  That's clearly not the case since Godzilla doesn't eat the MUTOs.  He just kills them.

They are giant creatures.  We have no idea why, but it works in our favor that he does want to fuck them up.  It's the balance of nature man!

Perhaps he doesn't want giant Muto's moving in on his shit and making him existent.

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

It's not a criticism!  Let's take it easy now!

It was more a question of the word choice of predator/prey.

- freeman - 09-21-2014

Quote:

Nope.  Just assholes.

I'm cool with Godzilla being an asshole though.  He's like Homer or Stampy.

Godzilla totally steals a shot from this episode.

For all your dislike of this movie you sure managed to build it up to be 10000000000 times better in my head.  That's amazing.

- cccc - 09-21-2014

Quote:

It's not a criticism!

Cool.  So we are square.

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

For all your dislike of this movie you sure managed to build it up to be 10000000000 times better in my head.  That's amazing.

I live to serve.

Gotta keep your love fed so that my hate can thrive.

- turingmachine75 - 09-21-2014

ASoooo square.

Smile

All of Serizawa's rhetoric about Godzilla being the 'alpha predator' took place in a film that clearly establishes him as the original prey item for the bugs.

- cylon baby - 09-21-2014

Which is why he wants to kill them.

MOTIVE!

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

A great film.

Everyone stealing from The Simpsons...

- freeman - 09-21-2014

Quote:

A great film.

Everyone stealing from The Simpsons...

How could you look at this film through this new WONDERFAL CONTUXT, and not appreciate it for the genius that it is?

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

How could you have liked this empty film at all when not being aware of my WONDERFAL CONTUXT?

- freeman - 09-21-2014

I loved it before.  Now I only love IT MOAR.

Your feeble attempts to destroy me only make me more powerful.  There is no escape.

- Nooj - 09-21-2014

Quote:

I live to serve.

Gotta keep your love fed so that my hate can thrive.

- freeman - 09-22-2014

Ohhhh, so we're like Devil and Angel, sharing an apartment, living in an unorthodox but perfect harmony.  Now if only I could train him to pick up his towels, amirite ladies??

- bradito - 09-22-2014

AYesterday my girlfriend and I got into an argument over whether or not Naomi Watts was in a Godzilla movie. It went on to the point where I began to doubt my own sanity. Then she looked up Naomi Watts on her phone and said, "Oh... she was in 'King Kong.'"

I finally won an argument!

- d.t. - 09-22-2014

And now you're single again.

- jacob singer - 09-22-2014

Wait a minute. "Girlfriend"?

I need to keep up with the dating thread, I reckon.

- merriweather - 09-22-2014

No, you need to keep up with the Fantastic Four thread.

It's a Sue Storm RealDoll.

- bradito - 09-22-2014

AThe Sue Storm RealDoll broke up with me.

:'(