The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Awut?

The danger wasn't over...

- freeman - 10-06-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Who cares about the build up when there are no characters to build up the monsters towards? Without characters, it's just sequences of well-done spectacle.

What we have is just some blanks and exposition vessels that respond in animal fear (or awe in Watanabe's case). That's good for a scene, but you need some more than that to stretch it to 2 hours.

I do, because he's a decent guy who I have empathized with through the whole father son thing in the first act and I want to see him get back to his family.  I don't want to see him get back to them A WHOLE lot, but it was enough to carry me through.  Besides, you can't pretend it was two hours of JUST Ford on screen, dealing with his problems.

Can one of you two like a comment of mine?  I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Jackie Chan movie and I'm fighting two guys at once who keep high fiving each other.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

You're not Jackie Chan.

Jackie Chan is cool.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Did you care about Charlie Hunnam in Pacific Rim?

The guy lost his brother.  HIS BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

- Codename - 10-06-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Oh my God no it fucking doesn't.  Maybe you forgot because you were so lost in your hatred, but this is a giant monster movie starring a giant monster.  The biggest moments in the film are all about spending decent chunks of time building up to the monsters.  They are what matters.

'Starring' is a bit generous.  'Featuring' would be more apt.  And sure, most of the big moments are about the build-up.  But the thing is...the build-up doesn't mean jack shit if the characters placed in danger do literally nothing for you and are treated with none of the care that goes to the big lizard himself.   Compare scenes like Ford's first reaction to seeing the MUTO's or Godzilla to Sheriff Brody's reaction to the first attack at the beach in Jaws or Grant's first reaction to seeing an off-screen dinosaur in Jurassic Park.  Two of those manage to convey the sheer terror and/or awe of what's happening with minimal shots or dialogue.  The other is basically one dude making an O face repeatedly.  If you can't connect with what's happening on screen then what should feel like build-up to something great just starts to feel like needless teasing.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Quote:

I can't believe that once I called you out on it and you decided to shamelessly divert attention from your wrongness,

Called me out on what?

- Codename - 10-06-2014

Quote:

Hey now!  Raleigh Beckett is a likeable, normal Jaeger Ranger who just wants to say "This is it!" a lot to his psychically connected team-mate.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

He caught the kid, and they climbed up and then went to the nearest emergency support ladder and climbed down.  That would make for a very exciting short montage I'll give you that, but the important part of the scene(The danger) was over.

How was the danger over?  We cut away from them at an almost LITERAL cliffhanger.  There was nothing to climb up to.  They were completely vertical.  We just saw people fall to their presumable death seconds before.  It leads directly to a MUTO and Godzilla right about to duke it out next to that very tram in an inferno of explosions and machine parts.

It sets up all that doom-laden scenario just to show them safe and sound the next we see them only to tell us, "Well... YOU can piece together what happened in between, right?  After all, we blessed you with the clever cut to the news footage to tease you!  Who are you to resist????"

(I am fine with the teasing in itself)

- freeman - 10-06-2014

Quote:

You're not Jackie Chan.

Jackie Chan is cool.

I'm the Jackie Chan of this thread.  You, ironically are the one white guy who starts out super cocky but then realizes he has an EPIC challenge ahead of him!

Quote:

No, but that's because Hunnam as a person acts like he wears Ed Hardy and unironically watches Entourage.  I honestly think Tom Cruise in that same role wouldn't have done a really good job with it.

Quote:

Called me out on what?

YOU KNOW!

(I asked you to specifically get into the details of how exactly he's non character, but lets not and say we did.  That road leads to wasted time)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Hey now!  Raleigh Beckett is a likeable, normal Jaeger Ranger who just wants to say "This is it!" a lot to his psychically connected team-mate.

To be fair, that WAS in fact, it.

- freeman - 10-06-2014

Quote:

How was the danger over?  We cut away from them at an almost LITERAL cliffhanger.  There was nothing to climb up to.  They were completely vertical.  We just saw people fall to their presumable death seconds before.  It leads directly to a MUTO and Godzilla right about to duke it out next to that very tram in an inferno of explosions and machine parts.

It sets up all that doom-laden scenario just to show them safe and sound the next we see them only to tell us, "Well... YOU can piece together what happened in between, right?  After all, we blessed you with the clever cut to the news footage to tease you!  Who are you to resist????"

(I am fine with the teasing in itself)

I could have climbed up that train pretty easily, even with a hundred pound Asian kid on my back.  Plenty of seats to grab etc.  As for totally vertical, didn't you ever climb rope as a kid?  It's like that, but even easier.  The fight was in the city area, which as you can clearly see in the establishing shots is not right next to the train.  They were safe for the moment.  Seriously, this is fun and all but all of the points you've made this is the first one that's just weird, because it's TOTALLY a nitpick.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Did you even watch the movie, nincompoop?

That hilarious shot of plane after plane exploding was right at the airport.

Also, post a video of you performing these physical feats so easily.  Do it immediately.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

SHOW ME THAT UPPER BODY STRENGTH!!!

- freeman - 10-06-2014

Quote:

SHOW ME THAT UPPER BODY STRENGTH!!!

If you want me to put you on my back and do burpees all day I'll do it bro.

The train didn't make it to the airport.  The train was attacked halfway to a stop.  How could it be at the airport if it wasn't even at a scheduled stop?

- Codename - 10-06-2014

I did feel the teasing was stretched a biiiiit too far in Godzilla.  Honolulu was handled really well in that regard.  The Momma Muto rampaging through Las Vegas as well.  But when they cut off in San Francisco by having the door close it was starting to venture deeply into "It's not cute/funny/interesting anymore" territory.

Weirdly though, I give Pacific Rim a pass on a lot of issues that it shares verbatim with Godzilla.  I think partly because of the 'nostalgia' factor (Power Rangers, Gundam and Neon Genesis Evangellion were more prevalent for me in my formative years than Godzilla) and partly because (for me at least) Pacific Rim doesn't try to be taken as seriously as Godzilla does.  It's the Avengers vs. Dark Knight issue basically, if you ask to be taken as a serious film, you're going to be judged as such.  I won't deny those issues aren't there though.  It's still a mediocre film but one I enjoy despite it's flaws because of cool world building and row-butt punching.

- Nooj - 10-06-2014

Quote:

If you want me to put you on my back and do burpees all day I'll do it bro.

Someday, you will have to make the choice to save my life or not after calling you an nincompoop so many times.

And in that moment, we will see the upper body strength that you crowed about.

Now THAT'S a dramatic arc!

- Codename - 10-06-2014

I'll be there staring off into the distance and providing exposition on how the arrogance of man is in thinking that upper body strength is theirs to control...and not the other way around.

- freeman - 10-06-2014

Quote:

Someday, you will have to make the choice to save my life or not after calling you an nincompoop so many times.

And in that moment, we will see the upper body strength that you crowed about.

Now THAT'S a dramatic arc!

Oh my God you're right...  It'll be fine, though!  I'll appear to slip and fall, we'll say how much we love each other as we dangle, and then you'll whisper something outrageous in my ear about Amazing Spider-Man 2 and I'll climb us up on the power of rage, Popeye style.  THAT'S storytelling.

- cccc - 10-06-2014

APreach it Freeman!

- freeman - 10-06-2014

ADon't worry Godzilla fans! Nobody is ganging up on this movie during the night shift on my watch!

- Codename - 10-06-2014

FREEMAN:  KING OF THE DEFENDERS?

- shaun h - 10-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Never has a mediocre film inspired such passionate defenders and detractors since... well, Man of Steel probably.

GODZILLA only wishes it was halfway as interesting as MAN OF STEEL's failures. At least MAN OF STEEL, for whatever reasons, will be remembered, whereas GODZILLA is already in the process of being forgotten.

- freeman - 10-06-2014

AUgh. Their side didn't need reinforcements Shaun! I'm going to bed.

- chris dogg - 10-06-2014

Hopefully the second movie will be best.

- headless fett - 10-06-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

Hopefully the second movie will be best.

Transformers 2 certainly wasn't!

- chris dogg - 10-06-2014

All is well as long as McNooj thinks so.

- chaz - 10-07-2014

Here is my dilemma, I agree 100 percent with Freeman, but McNooj's posts are so much more fun to read.

As for Godzilla being forgotten, according to FYE its was the DVD was the number one seller its first week of release.

I stand by my previous posts where I said that Ford is a normal dude just trying to do the right thing. I don't fear Nooj's knives.

- freeman - 10-07-2014

Oh so then I'll just let wrong opinions run rampant around here because you don't think I'm enough of a dancing monkey.  I GET IT.

- freeman - 10-07-2014

Now I just picture Nooj and I existing in the world of this movie, and Ford and I get along just fine and being friendly and totally fine, but Nooj is really stand offish and rude and just stares at him unimpressed, and I've constantly got to apologize for my sociopath friend.

- darkmite8 - 10-07-2014

AMUTOs: Mixed Uppity Toxic Opinions

The real enemy of Garethzilla

- Nooj - 10-07-2014

AGood to see Freeman getting along well with a plank of wood.

- freeman - 10-07-2014

AYou see this attitude! I'm so sorry about my friend quicksilver. He just escaped the mental institution.

- merriweather - 10-07-2014

I love GODZILLA. But...but....

Nooj is right.

God help me, Nooj is RIGHT.

- Codename - 10-07-2014

Quote:

You see this attitude! I'm so sorry about my friend quicksilver. He just escaped the mental institution.

- mrbananagrabber - 10-07-2014

AGeeze, you guys are really going to the mat for a movie that was just okay.

- Nooj - 10-07-2014

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/1200#post_3784631"]

Why was it "done so badly?"  Break it down, because I'm calling bullshit.  It was fine.  Wasn't exceptional, but was completely fine.  You're the nincompoop here who's being influenced by his own skit. 
[/quote]

Huh. It turns out I completely missed this post. So THAT's what you were referring to.

I see I see.

I will return to this.