The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

- darkmite8 - 10-13-2014

AHe's a giant puppy dog. Sooooo cute

- chris dogg - 10-13-2014

Cute has no place in grimdark Dullzilla!

- darkmite8 - 10-13-2014

AMove over MUTOs! Here come the CUTOs!

[Image: 936full-godzilla%2527s-revenge-%2528aka-...enshot.jpg]

- shaun h - 10-13-2014

AFollowed by the Spanish spinoff, featuring PUTOs!

- chris dogg - 10-13-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

Move over MUTOs! Here come the CUTOs!

936full-godzilla%2527s-revenge-%2528aka-all-monsters-attack%2529-screenshot.jpg

Egads.  That is anything but cute.

Try this;

The great ruiner striketh.

- chaz - 10-14-2014

I liked Baragon in Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah.He showed a lot of heart in the movie. Even though Godzilla was bigger and meaner, Baragon still gave it his all. That movie is the only time I felt bad for the monster Godzilla was fighting. He looked and moved like a big ugly dog and even ugly dogs are cute. He even moved like a four legged animal. As opposed to Angurius in the Showa series who moved like a dude on his hands and knees.

- cylon baby - 10-14-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

I'd rather have Anguirus.  If only to echo that he was in the first ever Godzilla sequel and was his first ever opponent.  Then they can become friends and form a tag team against other foes just like the good ol' days.

Mmm, a modern, state of the art redo of "Godzilla vs Gigan" would be cool.  But only if they include Godzilla Tower and the good kauji speaking weird post processed monster english to each other.  Or rather, word balloons, if that's too silly.

Whats so great about Baragon?

Both are good ideas, although if they go with Godzilla Tower at least make the head rotate!

Gigan was one of the coolest monster designs ever IMO (Toho was really kicking in in the 50's, 60's and 70's ).

Baragon was great in Frankenstein Conquers the World. He first appears underneath an Oil rig which he destroys for no damn reason. Then he emerges to show he's a Playa by stalking around the countryside before Giant Frankenstein's Monster Rassles him to death!

His second appearance, and where I first became aware of him, was in Destroy All Monsters. He really only cameos, but when all the Monsters are attacking world cities, a reporter states he's attacking Paris, but they actually show Gorosaurus burrowing up under Le Arc De Triumphe! (The Baragon costume was so decrepit that they could only use it for a couple shots). This strange mistake made me wonder: what's Baragon got going on that other monster want to be like him?

For one thing, he has an awesome roar:

He also has a Sonic Horn which he uses to burrow beneath the Earth, and also Fire breath much like Godzilla.

The Baragon in GMK is a feisty critter, more like King Ceasar than Classic Baragon. Lame Roar and no powers. But that fight with the big G was a classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

As opposed to Angurius in the Showa series who moved like a dude on his hands and knees.

Angurius is great in Godzilla Final Wars. He curls into a ball like a giant Hedgehog and flys through the air, but then Godzilla and King Cesar use him as a (European) Football and that's all she wrote.

- chris dogg - 10-14-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

For one thing, he has an awesome roar:

Ungh.  Half those roars are just repurposed Godzilla ones.  1 was just Godzilla's atomic breath sound.  Did they play that for Baragons' own fire breath or was that used a roar too?

Yeah I tried to find the roar used in Destroy All Monsters, which is different and much better.

- mr. stockslivevan - 10-14-2014

ASo I'm just starting this flick via DVD rental. Had to pause for a moment to rant: What the hell happened to the DVD format? The picture quality looks so much poorer than a lot of the earlier releases back in 1997. Has WB just given up on this format or something? It's such a shame how this once used to be a really awesome format and now we're being treated with quality that's worse than what an average Joe might have burned on a DVD-R.

[/rant over]

Gotta say though, I'm really liking this beginning with the mineshaft.

- Nooj - 10-15-2014

I remember reading about people saying similar things about the transfer for THE DARK KNIGHT's DVD.  How it seemed as though they barely put any effort into it while putting all the care into the blu-ray, almost as if it was some insidious attempt to make the blu-ray look better.  Hehehe

Whether that's true or not (in addition to DVD transfers being treated with less care), I'm sure part of it is due to our eyes being accustomed to hi-def for a good amount of years.

- mr. stockslivevan - 10-15-2014

AI wish I could agree on that, but there are still DVDs I watch like THE MATRIX (yes, the old 1999 snapper case one) that holds up better than what WB today puts today on DVD. It's just ironic that while the tech has gotten better, there's a lot more slack going on. I guess they realize that they don't need to do quality checks on DVDs because anyone that still primarily watches on that format must not care anyway. Oh well.

With that aside, I dug the whole film. I liked Godzilla being this force of nature that's beyond anyone's control. The only weakness is that Taylor guy.

- Nooj - 10-15-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I wish I could agree on that, but there are still DVDs I watch like THE MATRIX (yes, the old 1999 snapper case one) that holds up better than what WB today puts today on DVD. It's just ironic that while the tech has gotten better, there's a lot more slack going on. I guess they realize that they don't need to do quality checks on DVDs because anyone that still primarily watches on that format must not care anyway. Oh well.

With that aside, I dug the whole film. I liked Godzilla being this force of nature that's beyond anyone's control. The only weakness is that Taylor guy.

Man, that bad, eh?

This movie sure is bad.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a release like this being based on a transfer mastered/optimized for HD, and they just slap that same transfer onto a DVD without taking care to optimize it for those specifications.  Really just talking out of my ass here.

Here's a link to people complaining about a similar issue with the INCEPTION DVD.  ALSO WB!!!

https://www.avforums.com/threads/inception-dvd-picture-quality-terrible.1372636/

- freeman - 10-15-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Really just talking out of my ass here.

The title of your biography.

- Nooj - 10-15-2014

I'll take it!

edit: Surprised that it's not already taken as a title!

- virtanen - 10-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandhay View Post

Juliette Binoche and Cranston have the exact same hairstyles in this. It's distracting once noticed.

Quote:

That HAS to be the reason they offed her character so unceremoniously and wasted her talents!

JULYAN CRANOCHE!!!

Made the mistake of reading your lovely posts before watching the film. You assholes.

Almost fell asleep during the film, maybe that's why I almost missed Cranston's death. Taylor-Johnson did what the film asked of him, mainly stand around and look at stuff incredulously. Bela Lugosi Watanabe was hilarious. Strathairn's first scene was also funny, how no one at all was paying attention to his lecture on MUTOs. Which didn't stop him for giving a few more. I kinda liked how the humans were completely useless, and in the end applauded Godzilla, King of the Monsters, the Tsunami-creating and building-collapsing mass murderer.

- Nooj - 10-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

Made the mistake of reading your lovely posts before watching the film. You assholes.

eheheheheheheh

- waaaaaaaalt - 10-17-2014

Quote:

Man, that bad, eh?

This movie sure is bad.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a release like this being based on a transfer mastered/optimized for HD, and they just slap that same transfer onto a DVD without taking care to optimize it for those specifications.  Really just talking out of my ass here.

Here's a link to people complaining about a similar issue with the INCEPTION DVD.  ALSO WB!!!

https://www.avforums.com/threads/inception-dvd-picture-quality-terrible.1372636/

True but if you are still buying DVDs you are truly a monster that Godzilla must slay.

- merriweather - 10-17-2014

Some of us can't afford to replace their entertainment system with expensive new gear every time the studios decide they want to make more money.

- waaaaaaaalt - 10-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

Some of us can't afford to replace their entertainment system with expensive new gear every time the studios decide they want to make more money.

I can't either but blu-ray is better and the day I got a new player I stopped buying DVDs. Players you can get now for under 100, blu-rays now are seriously between 8.00 and 15.00 and new blu-rays are like 20.00 or so. Hell I got captain america 2 for like 18 bucks on the day of release. I've even seen times when the blu-ray was actually cheaper than DVD. Wal-mart has a whole section of 8 dollar and 5 dollars blu-rays. The time is now my friend.

- virtanen - 11-02-2014

There's been a lot of words on how Edwards' slow burn -approach reminds of JAWS, and how Edwards' style is similar to Steven Spielberg's. However there's another high-profile filmmaker whose work has striking similarities to GODZILLA. This filmmaker is great at creating anticipation, has wonderful sense of scale and means to convey it, expert use of SFX, and his films tend to waste acclaimed actors on boring non-characters and have occasionally laughable family-drama. His name is Roland Emmerich.

- cccc - 11-02-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

There's been a lot of words on how Edwards' slow burn -approach reminds of JAWS, and how Edwards' style is similar to Steven Spielberg's. However there's another high-profile filmmaker whose work has striking similarities to GODZILLA. This filmmaker is great at creating anticipation, has wonderful sense of scale and means to convey it, expert use of SFX, and his films tend to waste acclaimed actors on boring non-characters and have occasionally laughable family-drama. His name is Roland Emmerich.

I'm not sure about that.  Emmerich isn't one for restraint.  Can you imagine him making Monsters?

- DerekM - 11-02-2014

Not without slides.

- virtanen - 11-03-2014

A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/1300#post_3797653"]
I'm not sure about that.  Emmerich isn't one for restraint.  Can you imagine him making Monsters?   
[/quote]

No. But I can imagine him making GODZ-

whoops.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW was on tele few days ago. Even though the film goes full-retarded most of the time, Emmerich builds tension really well in the beginning, very similarly as Edwards does. And the scene where a tornado rips an LA skyscraper in half is almost 1:1 the scene in GODZILLA where soldiers find out the MUTO has escaped the nuclear waste compound. The biggest difference between the two directors is that Edwards doesn't seem to get sadistic pleasure from stomping on human beings.

- chris dogg - 11-03-2014

That wasn't Godzilla, man.  It was not unaffectionately nicknamed G.I.N.O. for nothing.  That movie wouldn't have been so bad if they were just honest about what it really was, a remake of "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms".

- Fafhrd - 11-03-2014

Watched the 2D disc of this yesterday, and I'm pretty sure they botched the transfer. It's way darker than it should be. The special features show the flying Muto kill and it's pretty clear, but in the film itself I could barely even see the Muto it was so dark. I wish I could take comparison screenshots.

- Nooj - 11-03-2014

Seems like a pretty common complaint people are having with the transfer.

Enough that THIS happens!

- freeman - 11-03-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dogg View Post

That movie wouldn't have been so bad if they were just honest about what it really was, a remake of "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms".

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

- waaaaaaaalt - 11-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

Watched the 2D disc of this yesterday, and I'm pretty sure they botched the transfer. It's way darker than it should be. The special features show the flying Muto kill and it's pretty clear, but in the film itself I could barely even see the Muto it was so dark. I wish I could take comparison screenshots.

Yeah mess with the contrast on you're TV. I had an older projector where the contrast was bad adn it made things harder to see. After I bought the new one the end fight scene look way better. Same goes for Pacfic Rim.

- chris dogg - 11-04-2014

I always have my contrast at max, but I had to turn the brightness way up for the disc.  If something is too dark I usually never have to turn it up past 35, but for Big G I had at 40 before I was finally comfortable.  What gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Emmerich was an admitted non Godzilla fan and simply used the name recognition to get butts in the seats for his cute giant lizard movie.  "Attack of the Titanic Iguana" isn't as attractive as "Godzilla".

- Overlord - 11-07-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

In addition to storyline/character/plot problems parts of the film are simply horrible shot.  The final battle, in particular, is WAY too dark.  It's difficult to make out details.  This is the only Blu-Ray I can ever remember where I have ever had to pause and play with settings to try to improve visibility.  Too many of the key monster scenes take place in darkness.  There's a reason everyone remembers the final shot of Godzilla so well: despite having him battle for the prior 15 minutes, it's the only time we can actually see him clearly!

I knew it wasn't my imagination!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/429/302/743/re-release-godzilla-2014-bluraydigital-hd/

Apparently the problem is the transfer, not the film itself.  I let my son rewatch the final battle again recently and I had to turn up the brightness, again, in an attempt to simply make the action on the screen visible.

- turingmachine75 - 11-07-2014

AI got my son the Blu for his birthday a few weeks ago and now I'm curious for a second rewatch. I don't remember having a problem with it being too dark.

- cccc - 11-07-2014

Yep.  The Tranny is way to dark.

- Fafhrd - 11-08-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Yep.  The Tranny is way to dark.

Maybe don't use that word when abbreviating 'transfer.'