The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

- andrevellozo - 05-16-2014

APacing was all over the place and I literally almost fell asleep during the first half hour but god damn if I didn't turn into an 8 year old every single second Godzilla was onscreen.

I was actually the only person smiling and discreetly cheering whenever the monster fights got awesome (and the get very awesome very frequently). The rest of the audience didn't seem to care for it so much.

I think they were put off by how little Godzilla there is in the first hour of the film. Also, I can't give them enough kudos for making a character driven blockbuster , but you need better characters to drive it if you want it to work. These are fantastic actors. Challenge them!

Ultimately, I have the opposite of the most common complaint about summer blockbusters: LESS humans, MORE of the awesome CGI monster action. Or get better humans!

Having said that, I was a giddy child every single time Godzilla did any Godzilla thing. And the film KNOWS that: before most of the action scenes, the last person we see looking at the action is almost always a child.

Edwards knows very well that people view monster movies as child's stuff, and he cleverly separates the action/monster stuff from the more serious/character stuff through that. It's only a shame that the latter isn't as engaging as the former.

This is VERY good.

ETA: this read mostly as a pan, and I'd hate for it to do so. This is one of my favourite films of the year so far, and I can't recommend it enough.

- cylon baby - 05-17-2014

Here's a trailer for the movie Duke Fleed wished this was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Hl5loD-RQ

- andrevellozo - 05-17-2014

AAlso: LIGETI PLAYS DURING THE CLIMAX OF A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR MONSTER MOVIE AND IT WORKS!

How can you not love it?

- andy bain - 05-17-2014

AReally liked it.

Godzilla winding up the atomic breath, and the way he dispatched the final MUTO were spine tingling.

I have to say though, none of the fights were as good as the attack on Hong Kong in PR.

But gz himself was astounding

A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/150#post_3717845"]I have to say though, none of the fights were as good as the attack on Hong Kong in PR.

But gz himself was astounding[/quote]

You really thought so? I ask with no hostility, I just couldn't help comparing the action in both films and I liked THIS so much more. And the action was the best thing about Pacific Rim in my opinion.

What I loved about the action here is that, while it perfectly illustrated the film's theme of humanity's powerlessness over nature, it did so without ever making us antagonise Godzilla.

Also, it was really, really cool.

But, different strokes for different folks Smile

- bradito - 05-17-2014

AGod, Pacific Rim completely fell out of my head after I saw it.

- brandhay - 05-17-2014

So, is it worth seeing this in 3D?

- machiav - 05-17-2014

You gotta hand it to Edwards. It takes brass balls in today's attention deficit culture, to withhold/tease Godzilla fighting the Mutos so methodically (even obnoxiously) for most of a picture.

I mean, when the door literally slams shut on them near the end......MOTHERFUCKER!

The end battle was awesome though.

- chaz - 05-17-2014

I saw Godzilla tonight and I thought it was awesome! Unlike Godzilla 98 it was made by someone who is a fan of Godzilla. Godzilla actually looked like Godzilla, had radioactive breath, and weapons had no effect on him.  Also the actors, while aside from Cranston and Watanabe, didn't make an impression, they at least took their roles seriously.  There was no painfully unfunny attempts at humor either.. Ford and Elle's son saying,"Look Mommy. Dinosaur," was cute.

Ken Watanabe was good. Even though he role was to provide expsotion, I liked that he did it with a haunted vibe.

The MUTOs where worthy opponents for Godzilla. I liked that the one MUTO showed emotion when it saw its eggs had before destroyed. There was sadness on its face. That sadness quickly changed to rage when it saw Ford.

Last but not least, the star of the movie was outstanding! I had to resist the urge to yell YEAH!! three times. The audience I saw the film with applauded when Godzilla killed the MUTO by breathing his radioactive breath down his throat. His first use of his breath was well shot. It was cool to see the plates on the end of his tail light up blue and then the camera panned to show all of his plates lighting up. Taking out the flying MUTO by smashing it into a building was a classic Godzilla move.

I saw the movie with an old friend of mine from college and a couple of friends of his, and we all where highly entertain by the movie.

Lastly I want to thank Gareth Edwards for making a serious Godzilla movie that still made me feel like a little kid watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla on a Saturday afternoon.

AIt takes him balls to DO it.
It takes him skill to ACE it. And that he did.

- chaz - 05-17-2014

The slow burn worked for me. Good things are worth waiting for and the final battle is awesome!

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

ASounds like a movie meant to be fast forwarded through why not?

ATrust me, noojie-nooj, it does pay off.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

AI saw the movie.

The final fight is great payoff... to a middling whole.

- Fafhrd - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
 Ken Watanabe was good. Even though he role was to provide expsotion, I liked that he did it with a haunted vibe.

He seemed less haunted to me than in a constant state of religious awe. I would fully expect him to become the founder of some sort of Godzilla cult.

- turingmachine75 - 05-17-2014

A[quote name="Fafhrd" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/150#post_3717912"]He seemed less haunted to me than in a constant state of religious awe. I would fully expect him to become the founder of some sort of Godzilla cult.
[/quote]

Please!

How about Seatopians? Then alien psychics.

- Felix - 05-17-2014

I liked it as well. Though the cutting away to the human action irritated me a little.

Like to pose a question. Why do the Kaiju fights in GODZILLA work

so much better than those in PACIFIC RIM? I was literally holding my breathe when Godzilla got tag teamed by those MUTOS.

- chris dogg - 05-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

so much better than those in PACIFIC RIM?

Thats just like, your opinion, man.  Theres not really a right answer to such a one.  I think PR overall is the more enjoyable movie if only for the action.  That movie had the good sense to not keep jarringly cutting away from the fights to focus on the flat characters nobody really cared about.  That's what the middle of that movie was for.

Although, the choreography was more based on say, a dude in bomb disposal armor fighting a bear, rather than 2 wild animals going at it.  PR didn't have any Kaiju on Kaiju action, so who knows.

- grubstreeter - 05-17-2014

Quote:

I liked it as well. Though the cutting away to the human action irritated me a little.

so much better than those in PACIFIC RIM? I was literally holding my breathe when Godzilla got tag teamed by those MUTOS.

I've been trying to think about that - I wanted to love PR (big del Toro fan) but couldn't forgive much of its goofiness. And for its every good moment, and there are some, there were many moments where it was very hard to tell what was happening.

In this, the monsters move very much like they did in the old Godzilla movies. When the MUTOs fly, it reminded me of suits being pulled along with wires. Also, when the MUTO's are working G over, and one of them rises up and crashes back down - I swear I've see that exact move in an old G film.

- whiskaz - 05-17-2014

Saw this with my son (6) yesterday. He really has me looking forward to summer blockbuster fare like I haven't since I was a kid. This one was a little long and slow in spots and he even made mention of the lack of Godzilla at one point (he whispered: "they keep showing his tail!!"). The film lacked tension, in my opinion, even though a lot of stuff was being destroyed. There were only a few edge of your seat moments.

Godzilla looked fantastic.

Anyone catch the busted cage in Joe's abandoned house with the "mothra" label on it?

- Felix - 05-17-2014

Oh yes.

- jackson - 05-17-2014

So, I saw this at a packed Tibbs Drive-In with a hot date and her adorable 1.5 year old daughter, who we all call "Cheesy" last night.  We both LOVED it!  What an enjoyable flick to see on a massive screen.  Her little one was  even fascinated and laughed uproariously every time one of the big guys roared.  I was fairly concerned before that Cheesy would get scared and we'd have to leave.  Nope, this kid thought it was great.  So, not only that, but kids all over the drive in were eating it up, stomping around, mimicking the roar, play fighting like Godzilla and King Ghidora.  When the credits rolled,  people applauded.

So, all that to say, this film is it's own thing, but does a great job of respecting and evoking a source material that a massive cross-section of the Earth's population holds dear.  Good job Godzilla movie.  You had me at, "ROOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!

- cccc - 05-17-2014

We also have a Drive In and it's playing Godzilla, but the weather is so freaking bad.  Which sucks because my kids are dying to see it.

- jackson - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post

Anyone catch the busted cage in Joe's abandoned house with the "mothra" label on it?

So apparently some Asian cinemas showed an after credits scene which other countries didn't get.

Possible spoiler, or maybe just BS?

- chris dogg - 05-17-2014

Well, when the Brody's go back to their house in the quarantine zone, there is a small broken cage/tank with "MOTHRA" written on the side.  I figured it was just an easter egg but maybe a caterpillar was in there, absorbed some radiation and has been growing into a giant worm.

- cccc - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

So apparently some Asian cinemas showed an after credits scene which other countries didn't get.

What?  I haven't heard this at all.  Sounds BS.

- chaz - 05-17-2014

Quote:

I thought this was much better than Pacific Rim. While the climatic battle was at night, it wasn't raining and I could see the action better. I also liked the designs of the MUTOs more than the Kaiju from Pacific Rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

That story made a mistake. Godzilla not only defeated Mothra in GMK, he killed him.

- Felix - 05-17-2014

I thought Mothra was one of the "good" Kaijus?

- Richard Dickson - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandhay View Post

So, is it worth seeing this in 3D?

I didn't think the 3D added much, really, but it was the only option for seeing it in true IMAX, so I was stuck with it.

Quote:

I thought Mothra was one of the "good" Kaijus?

She is.  Godzilla defeating her doesn't necessarily change that.

- stevehauk - 05-17-2014

- jacknifejohnny - 05-17-2014

AI hope you're not serious, because that's absurd.

- bradito - 05-17-2014

ASo that explains this text I just got:

"Was just stabbed during 'Godzilla.' Sad "

- stevehauk - 05-17-2014

- turingmachine75 - 05-17-2014

A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/200#post_3718019"]I hope you're not serious, because that's absurd.[/quote]

Sorry Steve, I don't mean to troll, but that's a little more than just absurd.

- waaaaaaaalt - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

Sorry Steve, I don't mean to troll, but that's a little more than just absurd.

Ehh better than carrying a gun in there.