The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

- turingmachine75 - 05-17-2014

A*throws popcorn*

- chaz - 05-17-2014

I saw this in 2D and it didn't feel like I missed anything.

- jacknifejohnny - 05-17-2014

A[quote name="stevehauk" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/200#post_3718028"]absolutely serious. I've resorted to this twice and both times there were no further problems.
Tho I usually go to the theatre on a weekday at noon showing when kids are in school, and I have the run of the place to myself.
[/quote]

There are two types of people in this world, people who've had their asses kicked way too many times, and people who haven't had their asses kicked enough. That's all I'm saying. That is such poor judgment.

- stevehauk - 05-17-2014

- cccc - 05-17-2014

AI've been very lucky in my lifetime in that I haven't encountered to many of those kinds of theatre bullshit.

- jacknifejohnny - 05-17-2014

A[quote name="Waaaaaaaalt" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/180#post_3718034"]Ehh better than carrying a gun in there.
[/quote]

What happens when the other guy is carrying? Or when the other guy not only "gets the message" but gets royally pissed and let's Hauk know it in the most painful way possible?

I'm relatively sedate and nowhere near being a tough guy, but if you produce a knife in front of me and start playing with it as a form of passive aggression, I'm going to come after you with direct aggression.

- muzman - 05-17-2014

So I haven't got any gentleman's guide to knife fighting stuff to bring to the table unfortunately.  But I did however like Godzilla quite a bit.

In fact my fondness only grows with reflection.

It's big hearted, earnest filmmaking that just wants to do its thing.  Even though I was frustrated by them, the cutting away from early monster fights seems ever more gleefully audacious the more I think about it.  I think Edwards even wanted to you boo at those denials like an editing version of a pantomime villain.

This and Gravity actually gave me a strange sense I haven't had for a very long time.  One where I know what the film is doing and where it's going  little too far over the top or being too convenient and I'm still taken along by it regardless.  It's a big change from arch, rote and cobbled together stuff we're used to lately.  Where elements are laid down almost by numbers to achieve a given effect, or seem like they are.

The distinction is actually subtle, but the difference in the result is opposite sides of the grand canyon (at the wide bit).

More of this sort of thing.  A pox on post-modern filmmaking and fan service.

- chaz - 05-17-2014

This movie has the only time I've see Godzilla tired. The scene where he looks at Ford, shows the effect the fight is taking on him. That said, he is Godzilla and he knows he has more work to do; he catches his breath and comes back into the breach. That also sets up Godzilla passing out after he kills the second MUTO.

- MichaelM - 05-17-2014

That was such a great moment and touch.

- cccc - 05-17-2014

Yes, and I love how it's seen through the equally tired Ford.  The camera follows his eyes sideways.  It was that dreaminess that makes that scene so good.  The bomb going off in the background as he's on the helicopter.  Just beautiful.  I honestly can think of so many shots that were so artistic and well done.

- agracru - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

absolutely serious. I've resorted to this twice and both times there were no further problems.

Apologies for making this thread not about Godzilla, but that's seriously fucked. Someday, you're either going to get arrested for carrying an illegal, concealed weapon, or you're going to get your ass beat, unless you're the type of trigger-happy motherfucker who thinks that it's okay to stab someone over a matter of unethical cell phone usage, in which case may your fortunes be as great as George Zimmerman's. Personally, I wouldn't mind if you came back to these threads caterwauling to us with a tale of the latter persuasion, but it makes no odds to me either way. You really deserve whatever comes to you for threatening people with a weapon over something as trivial as social rudeness.

Look, I fucking hate it when people pull out their phones in a crowded theater, too. It's obnoxious. I could go on an entire rant about how much I would like to smash phones that come out during a screening. But if I'm in a press screening, the gorillas the studio hires as security for such events yank people out by their asses and put them on the curb. If I'm not, then I just grab someone who works for the theater and inform them. I don't try to show off the size of my cock by pulling out a lethal weapon that I quite frankly have no experience using. Because that's fucking awful. As bad as the cell phone jerks are, sociopaths like you are fucking worse.

What you do in your own time is your business, but don't come to these boards and brag about what a tough guy you are. You're not going to impress anybody.

Back to Godzilla.

The moment Ford and the big guy share with one another toward the end really worked for me. How many big American blockbusters go that route? How many bother to have that kind of quiet, reflective moment in the middle of their big set pieces? Even if you can name one or two, that's one or two in a sea. Kudos to Edwards for finding beats like that amid the noise. Even Pacific Rim, a movie I liked very much, missed out on sequences of compassion and humanity that hit the same heights as Edwards hits here.

That's what I liked about this so much: it's a very human movie, not so much for the fact that it's primarily focused on human characters (though it is), but because it's much more concerned with being on the ground level first and in the heat of the action second. At the same time, you never feel like the film is holding back when it actually gets into an action sequence. You see every dollar of the budget up there on the screen. It's terrific stuff.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by agracru View Post

Even Pacific Rim, a movie I liked very much, missed out on sequences of compassion and humanity that hit the same heights as Edwards hits here.

Little by little...

...inch by inch...

- agracru - 05-17-2014

Whoops, typo. Meant to say, "a movie from 2013 that I liked more than Inside Llweyn DavisThe Wolf of Wall StreetHer12 Years a SlaveThe Great BeautyThe Act of Killing, and Gravity combined".

Thanks for the catch, Nooj! You're a pal.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

So was there a reason that nobody bothered to get that nuclear pile clock open beyond pulling at it with their hands?

I kept wondering if someone was going to try to take a crowbar to it or something.  But they never went beyond giving up after a tug.

As a single moment, the exhausted Ford/Godzilla scene is nice.  But not much beyond that, since Ford is nothing to me as a character.  That's what the movie felt like as a whole.  A series of sequences I'll skip to later on video.  Probably take some screencaps to use as desktop backgrounds or something.

- bigmclargehuge - 05-17-2014

Quote:

"a movie from 2013 that I liked more than Inside Llweyn DavisThe Wolf of Wall StreetHer12 Years a SlaveThe Great BeautyThe Act of Killing, and Gravity combined".

I still haven't seen Inside Llweyn Davis and Her, but otherwise I would regretfully agree with you. Mediocre year for movies.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by agracru View Post

Whoops, typo. Meant to say, "a movie from 2013 that I liked more than Inside Llweyn DavisThe Wolf of Wall StreetHer12 Years a SlaveThe Great BeautyThe Act of Killing, and Gravity combined".

Thanks for the catch, Nooj! You're a pal.

I expect you to continue your undying LOVE for Pacific Rim!

- agracru - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

So was there a reason that nobody bothered to get that nuclear pile clock open beyond pulling at it with their hands?

I kept wondering if someone was going to try to take a crowbar to it or something.  But they never went beyond giving up after a tug.

As a single moment, the exhausted Ford/Godzilla scene is nice.  But not much beyond that, since Ford is nothing to me as a character.  That's what the movie felt like as a whole.  A series of sequences I'll skip to later on video.  Probably take some screencaps to use as desktop backgrounds or something.

I don't think it's generally a good idea to swing a crowbar at a nuclear bomb, myself, though I'll admit to being dissatisfied with how the bomb wound up being treated. Ford should have snapped the cover open and diffused it in time to have his little stare-down with the big MUTO and passing out. Pretty easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMcLargeHuge View Post

I still haven't seen Inside Llweyn Davis and Her, but otherwise I would regretfully agree with you. Mediocre year for movies.

Not really the point I was trying to make, but I'm also not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

- agracru - 05-17-2014

Quote:

I expect you to continue your undying LOVE for Pacific Rim!

I have Gipsy Danger tattooed on my chest now!

- Reasor - 05-17-2014

ACranston's death was the torch passing that Taylor-Johnson's character needed in order to be relevant. I was fine with it.

There's not a lot else that I can add right now to the positive reviews already posted here, save that it's going to be a while before I'm able to wipe the grin off my face. The pacing of this movie was perfect, making the third act monster battle feel like the heavily anticipated reward that it was.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

AI get that it was supposed to be a kind of character POV torch passing.

Didn't make Ford feel any more relevant than he did before, if he ever did at all.

Also, the crowbar is for prying it open as opposed to swinging and smashing.

And considering the line about how much more potent the nuke was compared to what had been used in the past, shouldn't they have been engulfed in that blast? Didn't seem like they'd managed to fly that far from it.

Somebody school me on nuclear weapons!!!

- shaun h - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Little by little...

...inch by inch...

Quote:

Quote:

I get that it was supposed to be a kind of character POV torch passing.

Didn't make Ford feel any more relevant than he did before, if he ever did at all.

- Nooj - 05-17-2014

ATHIS MIDDLING MOVIE...

- muzman - 05-17-2014

All this talk about the middle.

Look he wasn't that fat, ok?!

AHow did Ford and the kid/The Joker get out of the Hawaiian tram/Wayne's house? Also, why didn't the queen Muto feed on the rest of the nuclear waste in Nevada?

Damn you Nooj!!! This is what you do!!!

Still loved it though.

- Reasor - 05-17-2014

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/179610/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

- ratty - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Cranston's death was the torch passing that Taylor-Johnson's character needed in order to be relevant. I was fine with it.

There's not a lot else that I can add right now to the positive reviews already posted here, save that it's going to be a while before I'm able to wipe the grin off my face. The pacing of this movie was perfect, making the third act monster battle feel like the heavily anticipated reward that it was.

I never thought I'd be praising a GODZILLA movie for its restraint.   They really did measure out the awesomeness perfectly.

- kerr345 - 05-17-2014

Just got back from this, and I have to say it was awesome. The spectacle was astounding and the way the camera always framed the destruction from the POV of humans like the review on the front page stated really adds dynamism and a sense of weight to the action. In things like Transformers the action is too airy and cartoony in that in never feels like real world, or at least grounded, physics are in play. Godzilla looked awesome and the Mutos were a great update on the Cloverfield monster.

And I loved the way the movie used silence. Too many movies think being loud at all times is the only way to keep people's attention, but the restraint the score showed during scenes really made them stand out. I loved when the bomb squad got to the nest and use see Godzilla lit up by the thunder behind him, and then slowly he moves forward in silence and then that roar just shatters everything. A lot of this movie reminded me of the flashback scene from Pacific Rim when the main woman is thinking about her childhood, which imo was the best shot part of that movie.

I will say the characters didn't really work, and they definitely needed Cranston to survive more than Johnson. If they had went with Johnson dying at the first reveal and Cranston moving on from there and trying to save his son's wife and child out of guilt for bringing him along to Japan I think the emotional stakes would have been much better. As well as Cranston being fucking awesome.

- wendelleverett - 05-17-2014

For the Movie Stuff You Just Realized thread:

Why does the MUTO burrow a nest in SF's China Town?

The answer is, of course, that the hillside underneath China Town is an easy-to-dig network of cavernous passageways, throne-rooms, dungeons, monster lairs, and neon-lit shrines abandoned by Lo Pan and the ancient Wing Kong society when they were defeated by Jack Burton and the Chang Sing society in the mid 1980s.

AHaving Ford save the kid and others in the broken tram car while the monster fighting is teased around them, then cutting to Ford's son watching the battle proper on TV would have helped immensely . . . end the scene with Ford being interviewed as a 'local hero' while wife and son cry and hug and stuff.

- Felix - 05-17-2014

Less teasing. I agree.

- big unit - 05-17-2014

AI thought this was mostly ok. Some great stuff, and some human stuff.

City destruction is something I've just become so desensitized to...it has literally no impact anymore. But the fighting itself was pretty awesome.

I laughed out loud in two scenes, one where in the final battle they had a shot from inside an office building with people still working! 'Gotta get my report done by tomorrow!' And the second was that scene most of you seemed to like with Godzilla and Human lead sharing a moment, I thought it was really cheesy. Just needed an American flag dropping down slowly between them. Or doves.

I need to watch it again, there were a couple moments where the camera lingered and I didn't pick up what it was meant to show...like was there a wooden dragon head in the area where the baby mutos got blown up? Something like that anyways.

Anyways, Godzilla is a bit of a dick. He's like if a sumo wrestler smashed his way into a hospital delivery suite and beat up on some lady that just literally gave birth. He did exactly that.

- shaun h - 05-17-2014

AFox News at 11: Godzilla is pro-abortion.

- grubstreeter - 05-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Unit View Post

Anyways, Godzilla is a bit of a dick. He's like if a sumo wrestler smashed his way into a hospital delivery suite and beat up on some lady that just literally gave birth. He did exactly that.

I love the movie but man did this make me laugh and laugh.

- headless fett - 05-17-2014

Absolutely loved this. As a long time fan of Big G this is this the American Godzilla movie I've been waiting for since 1998.

Edwards nailed it. Holy shit!

- machiav - 05-17-2014

The teasing could get excruciating, but I can't deny the visual poetry of that hard cut to Elizabeth Olsen's place, with her kid watching the monster brawl (WE'VE BEEN DENIED!) on television. That was a pretty sweet cut.

I also got great joy in MUTOS trashing Sin fuckin' city.