The Trouble City Forums
GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Specific Cinema (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Films in Release or On Video (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: GODZILLA 2014 Post Release Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=150689)

- big unit - 05-18-2014

I'd be happy if its not another city being destroyed.

- turingmachine75 - 05-18-2014

AI felt the mutos were already a sort of reinvention of Gigan (and to a lesser extent Mothra). I would prefer any sequel to avoid directly lifting any established Toho creations.

Except Seatopians.

- headless fett - 05-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Unit View Post

I'd be happy if its not another city being destroyed.

Prepare for disappointment now then!

- bigmclargehuge - 05-18-2014

I'd like to see giant monsters fight in a South American favela. Never been done before.

- andy bain - 05-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Just got home from seeing it.  Pretty good, but I thought the sound was a little weird - for the most part you'd hear lots of monster roaring, but no thunderous footsteps and the buildings crashing down were muted in comparison.  There were moments where you did have those noises, but it was odd how often those sounds felt left out.

Yes, I chuckled every time a fucking MASSIVE monster suddenly, and "surprisingly" appeared.  Twinkle toed creatures to a thing.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am by the TV cutaway when the airport fight takes place.  They could have still had that "we're not showing you everything" by having it go on around Ford, but still being tightly focused on his exploits.  Cutting to a TV screen a quarter of a world away completely popped the suspense for me.

- cylon baby - 05-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post

How to make people love a movie with 30 seconds of interesting material and two hours of monotony: convince them that the boring stuff is part of a grand cinematic tradition! Movies in this series had long stretches of cinematic paint drying forty years ago, so the new one should too!

There's a lot more than 30 seconds of "interesting material" there. But I guess Haters gonna Hate.

- turingmachine75 - 05-18-2014

A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/150689/godzilla-2014-post-release-discussion/250#post_3718527"]
Yes, I chuckled every time a fucking MASSIVE monster suddenly, and "surprisingly" appeared.  Twinkle toed creatures to a thing.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am by the TV cutaway when the airport fight takes place.  They could have still had that "we're not showing you everything" by having it go on around Ford, but still being tightly focused on his exploits.  Cutting to a TV screen a quarter of a world away completely popped the suspense for me.
[/quote]

That we never went back to Ford and the kid dangling off the tracks before that hard cut is a glaring flaw in my opinion.

- cccc - 05-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

That was one of my favorite scenes.  Having Fords son watching on the TV works so well.  Seeing through the eyes of a child watching it on TV brings back our own memories.   I thought it was brilliant.

- crazy jim - 05-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Happenin View Post

I am envious of all of you who could commit wholesale to loving this movie. It's a movie I so, so want to love but I can't get past the fact that I do not care about anyone or really anything in the movie. My god, it's beautiful at times, the Halo drop, Godzilla going over 9000, all of that's great. But everything else, I was never engaged nor felt any connection to, they were just hallways I needed to walk down to get to my far more interesting Kaiju Big Battel Class. I didn't really find it Jaws-esque in its teasing and build up, because I didn't feel any suspense or slowly building fear.

Edwards has got a great eye, but this left me so-so.

Hey, you know, different strokes for different folks.  I've watched countless big-budget blockbusters over the last decade and a change and constantly felt like the old stick in the mud who just didn't get it.  This movie, I enjoyed for everything that it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post

How to make people love a movie with 30 seconds of interesting material and two hours of monotony: convince them that the boring stuff is part of a grand cinematic tradition! Movies in this series had long stretches of cinematic paint drying forty years ago, so the new one should too!

I don't think it has anything to do with a "grand cinematic tradition". I'm not saying the slow build approach is going to work for everybody but it did work for me and I had a great time with it. If people are bored then so be it. Everyone is going to react differently to certain storytelling methods. I've noticed a lot of the people who were excited and impressed by Pacific Rim were underwhelmed by this. I had the opposite reaction to both films.

- andy bain - 05-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccc View Post

That was one of my favorite scenes.  Having Fords son watching on the TV works so well.  Seeing through the eyes of a child watching it on TV brings back our own memories.   I thought it was brilliant.

hmmm, I guess.  But since this is the first GZ movie I've watched in it's entirety (the only monster movies I can recall watching as a kid being King Kong and Gorgo), that was lost on me.  It annoyed my 8 year old daughter too.

Dammit she should be allowed to generate her own memories of seeing enormous monsters fighting on screen, rather than vicariously being given someone else's memories of watching them on TV! (joking)

- Nooj - 05-18-2014

ASaw it again in IMAX with better sound.

I fell asleep during the middle.

- subotai - 05-18-2014

Expensive nap, Nooj!

- kyle reese - 05-18-2014

Caffeine, people. You've got got to caffeinate yourselves. Double down with a Diet Double Dew.

- Nooj - 05-18-2014

AActually, a friend paid for me with an employee discount. Cost under 6 bucks.

- Nooj - 05-18-2014

AAnd my first time was free!

- Nooj - 05-18-2014

AI CAN'T LOSE!!!!

- cccc - 05-18-2014

Devin has a really good podcast on Godzilla.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/18/badass-podcast-13-godzilla-all-spoilers-edition/

- shaun h - 05-18-2014

ADoes he fall asleep in the middle, too?

- mike j - 05-18-2014

As silly as Pacific Rim was, this was...not better. The characters, save for Bryan Cranston, were cardboard. That's fine but we spend a fair amount of time with them. How many shots of Elizabeth Olsen looking scared do we need? If they want to make a character-based film about dramatically compelling and interesting people in the throws of a monster attack, great. However, if they want to eschew that and just make a ridiculous "MONSTERS FIGHT!" movie, that would also be great and perhaps even preferable given the history of Godzilla. Instead, we got too much of characters who aren't very compelling and not enough monster action. What little there was had a sense of fun but not enough to live up to the title or sustain the bloated running time.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

AEnjoying Evan and Devin talking about the movie more than the movie itself.

- freeman - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Does he fall asleep in the middle, too?

I don't know this reference.

- art decade - 05-19-2014

Saw it. Loved it. It was perfect.

With that, I'll repeat the question I asked when Pacific Rim was released last year:

Where's my Robotech movie??

- mike j - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

Saw it. Loved it. It was perfect.

- sebastian ob - 05-19-2014

Really enjoyed this. Loved the way the spectacle was handled with the POV and I really appreciated the "less is more" approach. I did find the characters a little dull at first, but I think they were meant to be ordinary people dealing with extraordinary circumstances, and I did think the performances were solid. It was like the opposite of PACIFIC RIM where the characters were supposed to be interesting but weren't, and the spectacle was repetitive overkill. The story was nothing special but it held together fine (with a few contrivances, but whatever) and when Godzilla and the Mutos were battling it was sheer joy. There were shots in this that will stick with me for a long time. And the soundtrack was aces.

Bring on Rodan and King Ghidorah!

- david81 - 05-19-2014

Ahttp://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/566-godzilla-the-first-post-human-blockbuster/

Great write up on the film.

- crazy jim - 05-19-2014

I wouldn't really care to have Gareth do this Monster Island thing so early in the establishment of this particular universe. What made the concept work in the Showa era Toho films was that by the time that Destroy All Monsters came out, they'd been making monster films for over a decade and had quite a few monsters to choose from. I guess it could be argued that since we're already familiar with the monsters from the older films that it's a little different but I'd like to get like one or two sequels out in this franchise before they go to that concept. Just me?

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

AI dunno.

If we're operating on that level of reading movies, I'd say Rise of the Planet of the Apes was post-human before Godzilla.

It's essentially a propaganda piece fluffing up the story of Caesar, with the bland human stuff generally getting in the way as we head towards our impending doom by trying to play God.

I mean, if you really want to stretch THAT far to excuse characters that dull...

Post-human... C'mon.

Most of the reading of the movie in the piece sounds as much of a stretch as Mark Webb talking about how his new movie is about "time" because characters are always going on about running out of time and the last fight is in a clock tower with gears.

This whole piece is just taking one of the primary criticisms towards the movie (that even its defenders readily admit) and applying the 'it was meant to be that way by design' dodge.

Post-human... pffft.

- muzman - 05-19-2014

Slightly purple criticism is, well, purple.  But I think the point is solid in general.  The film seemed very holistically designed.

I don't know what people want, but disappointment is like that I suppose.  But this is War of the Worlds without Tom Cruise miraculously figuring everything out just in time to get away or tell the military what to do.

Understated characterisations are not in themselves bad.  It could be my general revolt against the modern blockbuster I suppose.  I can't even watch Batman movies anymore, the dialogue is so windy and obvious.  "Just shut up and act!" I find myself yelling.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

AI dunno.

Ford still gets to destroy the MUTO spawn like your usual pre-human hero.

- muzman - 05-19-2014

Yeah the purple colour is from bruising there, that's for sure.

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

AIt reminds me of my reaction to Affleck's THE TOWN.

A movie so desperate to go off the beaten track that it just ends up going off the track without actually finding a better one and ends up choosing the most boring one every time.

I'm all for storytellers trying to find less obvious and common ways of expressing an idea, but in this case I think Edwards just replaced tired with nothing... while still ending up with tired results.

It's not understated. There's just nothing there except bare minimum to keep the plot making some sense.

- freeman - 05-19-2014

ALEAVE THE TOWN ALONE!

- Nooj - 05-19-2014

ASupposedly the director's cut is much better.

But I was so underwhelmed by it in the theaters... ehhhhh.

- Evi - 05-19-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I dunno.

Ford still gets to destroy the MUTO spawn like your usual pre-human hero.

And you're right about that scene. It doesn't particularly hurt the film, but it is unnecessary in the same way that the scene with Tom Cruise taking out one of the aliens in WotW is unnecessary. It sort of argues against everything we'd seen until then.

- muzman - 05-19-2014

(wondering if I've seen the director's cut now.  Town seemed ok. Although seemed like Affleck got a crime pot boiler from somewhere and wrote in some Southie Good Will Hunting family stuff.  Which is fine)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I'm all for storytellers trying to find less obvious and common ways of expressing an idea, but in this case I think Edwards just replaced tired with nothing... while still ending up with tired results.

It's not understated. There's just nothing there except bare minimum to keep the plot making some sense.

This implies there's actually nothing being stated, but there is.  The film wasn't populated by The Neutrals.  There was acting and characterisation taking place.

Disappointment is hard to quantify, granted, but I have trouble seeing how these arguments aren't the usual "If I got Independence Day et al I'd be mad for the tiredness.  If I got something different I'd want more Independence Day stuff"- standard Simpsons riot crowd response.

(nb.  I'm not trying to change any minds, I'm just interrogating the experience, for want of some less cumbersome expression)