The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 03:18 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 02:49 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Whelp, that's it.  No finale from the original team.

But we do have a finale from the original team. It's called INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.

[Image: crystal-skull.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-26-2020

C'mon, I'll buy you a drink. Y'know, a drink?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - slim - 02-26-2020

(03-15-2016, 02:59 PM)slim Wrote: THIS FRANCHISE BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-26-2020

There’s a persistent rumor that Spielberg was on set for the Twilight Zone disaster, and it was weirdly convenient how location shooting on Doom for the better part of a year kept him out of the US in the aftermath.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-26-2020

Reckless gossip or not, that's exactly the kind of shit I knew wouldn't be in that estate-sanctioned HBO documentary and the reason I'll never bother with it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 03:31 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: There’s a persistent rumor that Spielberg was on set for the Twilight Zone disaster, and it was weirdly convenient how location shooting on Doom for the better part of a year kept him out of the US in the aftermath.

I think it's more than a rumor.  Eyewitnesses said he basically was ushered into a car and left seconds after the accident.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-26-2020

I've never been satisfied that those rumors have any real merit.

(02-26-2020, 03:58 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I've never been satisfied that those rumors have any real merit.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-07-18-ca-714-story.html

Weird how so many of the higher-ups/producers were unavailable during the investigation ...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-26-2020

I have never seen LOGAN, but surely that's the credential that puts Mangold in the running here.  I guess you could see that as evidence that this will in fact still star Old Indy (rather than reduce Ford's role), but I dunno.  I think Spielberg leaving the project will have an impact on Ford's interest.

(02-26-2020, 04:03 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I have never seen LOGAN, but surely that's the credential that puts Mangold in the running here.  I guess you could see that as evidence that this will in fact still star Old Indy (rather than reduce Ford's role), but I dunno.  I think Spielberg leaving the project will have an impact on Ford's interest.

While Logan is the better film, I actually think the action portrayed in Wolverine: Japan Rage and 3:10 to Yuma hews a heck of a lot closer to what I'd expect from an Indy film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:01 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 03:58 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I've never been satisfied that those rumors have any real merit.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-07-18-ca-714-story.html

"You have reached your free article limit..."

Sad

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-26-2020

hahahahaha

but if mangold can get an Indy movie to look like what he achieved with FordFerrari, that would be pretty

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-26-2020

No Beard, no Jowls, no Williams.

Ford is not doing this. Hard reboot announcement is what's next.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:01 PM)Overlord Wrote: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-07-18-ca-714-story.html

Weird how so many of the higher-ups/producers were unavailable during the investigation ...

Looking for evidence of Spielberg being present, not seeing any!

(02-26-2020, 04:12 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Ford is not doing this. Hard reboot announcement is what's next.

That would be a fairly dangerous play for Lucasfilm after SOLO underperformed, though.  To think audiences would show up to an INDIANA JONES movie that lacks Spielberg and Ford would be quite an assumption on their part.

Antony Starr also should be near the top of the list for an Indy recasting, if not at the top.

Quote:That would be a fairly dangerous play for Lucasfilm after SOLO underperformed, though.  To think audiences would show up to an INDIANA JONES movie that lacks Spielberg and Ford would be quite an assumption on their part.

If they could avoid spending 400 million making the movie it would be far less risky.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:16 PM)Overlord Wrote: Antony Starr also should be near the top of the list for an Indy recasting, if not at the top.

Too old. And there's no way they offer it to a mid-40s actor like Starr without offering it to Bradley Cooper first.

But if we must do this asinine exercise:

-Jake Johnson
-Glenn Powell
-3 of the 5 Hollywood Chrises (Pratt, Pine, Messina)
-Whoever doesn't get the Bond gig (Jack O'Connell, Richard Madden, George MacKay)
-Emily Blunt
-William Jackson Harper

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-26-2020

Well, most of us have been wondering which one of Lucas/Spielberg/Ford would blink (or die) first. If it was going to be a choice, it always had to be Spielberg, right? Ford seems to like Indy, the team, and the paychecks way too much to quit first. And Lucas doesn't have to do much besides fuck up the script every now and then.

Mangold seems like a great choice to do one last Ford flick (ha!). The problem is... there's nothing left for Indy to do to cap off his story. Connery's not comin' back, Indy's already married, and they ruined his kid so badly that even people that liked Skull (like me! Kinda!) have zero interest in rehabbing that character.

One possibility that they've already played with (twice!) would be to interweave a Ford adventure WITH a rebooted Young Indy with a new actor in the role. You could have Ford going after "The one that got away", an artifact that slipped from his grasp when he was first starting his adventures. It'd reduce the whiplash of seeing someone else don the hat, and give a smart way to send off Ford with a story that bookends his portrayal of Indy's life.

Without even wading into the obvious bait angle (I see what you're up to, Boone!), Emily Blunt already has her own Indiana Jones-lite wannabe-franchise with Disney starting up this summer.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-26-2020

Quiet Place 2??

Chris Pine for Indy, you heathens. He's basically the same age Ford was when RAIDERS was shot.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-26-2020

Hey now! I'm not baiting anybody!

Quote:One possibility that they've already played with (twice!) would be to interweave a Ford adventure WITH a rebooted Young Indy with a new actor in the role. You could have Ford going after "The one that got away", an artifact that slipped from his grasp when he was first starting his adventures. It'd reduce the whiplash of seeing someone else don the hat, and give a smart way to send off Ford with a story that bookends his portrayal of Indy's life.

I have literally been saying this for years, including many times in this very thread! This is also why I think you can do something around Arthurian legend/Excalibur/weird pagan shit, because you can do the flashback stuff centered around Operation Cone of Power (that time witches tried to put a magical barrier around England in 1940) and the "old Indy" stuff in the 1970s with hippies and cult leaders and Glastonbury and nonsense like that. And then you can end with old Indy sailing off to Avalon or something.

(02-26-2020, 04:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: ... And then you can end with old Indy sailing off to Avalon or something.

I can see it now ... white shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-26-2020

I'm sure we'll never know, but I gotta wonder how much of Spielberg dropping out has to do with the prospect of trying to work under The New Regime. You know after all the drama around the various Disney Wars installments and the mixed reception thereof, there's gotta be a passel of corporate executives desperate to make Indy 5 The One That Fixes The Narrative re: Disneyfilm Ltd.'s handling of the classic properties.

Indy has already literally ridden off into the sunset with a healed heart (metaphorical) and the affirmation of his dad.

We have the finale and closure we need.

(02-26-2020, 04:30 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I'm sure we'll never know, but I gotta wonder how much of Spielberg dropping out has to do with the prospect of trying to work under The New Regime. You know after all the drama around the various Disney Wars installments and the mixed reception thereof, there's gotta be a passel of corporate executives desperate to make Indy 5 The One That Fixes The Narrative re: Disneyfilm Ltd.'s handling of the classic properties.

I think Spielberg has wanted to answer to exactly one master (himself) in regards to creative projects for decades now.  I'm sure that plays a part.

(02-26-2020, 04:29 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: ... And then you can end with old Indy sailing off to Avalon or something.

I can see it now ... white shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Cut to a pop cover of "Jerusalem" sung by Lorde and remixed with the Indy theme.

Is this turn of events the result of the "scheduling" issue Ford was referring to?  If anything Spielberg's plate is emptier than usual at the moment, at least as far as we know.  And I am pretty sure Ford referred to Spielberg by name in one of these recent interviews, so either this was a sudden decision or Ford is great at PR doublespeak.  Both are just as plausible, really.

It would not surprise me if Spielberg was never really into the project and was just nodding his head until do or die time.  It is actually a tradition for Spielberg to get squirrely with an Indy sequel and say he will just produce this time.  It happened with TEMPLE OF DOOM when script development seemed to lose momentum, until Lucas intervened when he saw his director was starting to slip away.  It famously happened during the initial years of the fourth movie's development.  I guess now it's happening for real.  It's terribly disappointing that after this interminable development period and with Ford at the absolute tail end of being able to perform the role, he does not see fit to see it through.  But he can remake WEST SIDE STORY.

I do not anticipate getting an explanation from Spielberg on this.  ROBOPACALYPSE (sp?) was a project that was similarly oft-delayed with assurances that "all parties remain committed."  When Spielberg finally did hand it off to Michael Bay, it happened utterly without ceremony and I don't think he ever commented on the project thereafter.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - anyawatchin angel - 02-26-2020

Perfect time to just scrap the project and do a full reboot and set in back in the 30's/early40's where it belongs.

(02-26-2020, 04:36 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Is this turn of events the result of the "scheduling" issue Ford was referring to?  If anything Spielberg's plate is emptier than usual at the moment, at least as far as we know.

What's strange is that the Variety article talks about how busy Spielberg is in 2020, and proceeds to name-check only WEST SIDE STORY... a movie that is essentially already finished.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Pither - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:24 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Chris Pine for Indy, you heathens. He's basically the same age Ford was when RAIDERS was shot.

He's easily the best Chris for the job.

(02-26-2020, 04:42 PM)Pither Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:24 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Chris Pine for Indy, you heathens. He's basically the same age Ford was when RAIDERS was shot.

He's easily the best Chris for the job.

As soon as I am convinced that Pine can do menacing I'm all for it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 02-26-2020

Michael Shannon or bust

Between being wrong on the regular and making comments about the sex lives of cinematographers, Overlord's really on brand today!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 02-26-2020

Gender-bending lesbian Indy would be more exciting than Pratt or Pine.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:39 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Perfect time to just scrap the project and do a full reboot and set in back in the 30's/early40's where it belongs.

Perfect time to just scrap the project and do a full reboot and set in back in the 30's/early40's where it belongs. 

I've nothing but respect for Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford, but Indiana Jones the idea was done perfectly between '81 and '89, even - despite not being a trilogy with an overarching story - getting a perfect send off. The right time to stop developing more Indy movies was May 1989; the second best time is right now.