The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:53 PM)rexbanner Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:39 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Perfect time to just scrap the project and do a full reboot and set in back in the 30's/early40's where it belongs.

Perfect time to just scrap the project and do a full reboot and set in back in the 30's/early40's where it belongs. 

I've nothing but respect for Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford, but Indiana Jones the idea was done perfectly between '81 and '89, even - despite not being a trilogy with an overarching story - getting a perfect send off. The right time to stop developing more Indy movies was May 1989; the second best time is right now.

Eh.  So long as they don't deconstruct/ruin what came before, have at it!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 02-26-2020

I don't think they should re-cast even though they will someday, and it'll never happen because of his other biggest role to date, but you know who maybe I could see? Adam Driver.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:36 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Is this turn of events the result of the "scheduling" issue Ford was referring to?  If anything Spielberg's plate is emptier than usual at the moment, at least as far as we know.  And I am pretty sure Ford referred to Spielberg by name in one of these recent interviews, so either this was a sudden decision or Ford is great at PR doublespeak.  Both are just as plausible, really.

It would not surprise me if Spielberg was never really into the project and was just nodding his head until do or die time.  It is actually a tradition for Spielberg to get squirrely with an Indy sequel and say he will just produce this time.  It happened with TEMPLE OF DOOM when script development seemed to lose momentum, until Lucas intervened when he saw his director was starting to slip away.  It famously happened during the initial years of the fourth movie's development.  I guess now it's happening for real.  It's terribly disappointing that after this interminable development period and with Ford at the absolute tail end of being able to perform the role, he does not see fit to see it through.  But he can remake WEST SIDE STORY.

I do not anticipate getting an explanation from Spielberg on this.  ROBOPACALYPSE (sp?) was a project that was similarly oft-delayed with assurances that "all parties remain committed."  When Spielberg finally did hand it off to Michael Bay, it happened utterly without ceremony and I don't think he ever commented on the project thereafter.

The "scheduling" is supposedly post-production on West Side Story, which is ongoing and apparently will be for some time. Even though Spielberg is notoriously fast at that stuff, I suppose it is a bit more complex than post-production on, say, The Post.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 05:38 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: The "scheduling" is supposedly post-production on West Side Story, which is ongoing and apparently will be for some time. Even though Spielberg is notoriously fast at that stuff, I suppose it is a bit more complex than post-production on, say, The Post.

If Spielberg wanted to do Indy V (or any project, really), it would get done ... or, more likely, would have been done by now.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 02-26-2020

He's probably clearing his schedule to do a musical remake of 1974's MAME starring Kristen Wiig that nobody asked for.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 05:38 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: The "scheduling" is supposedly post-production on West Side Story, which is ongoing and apparently will be for some time. Even though Spielberg is notoriously fast at that stuff, I suppose it is a bit more complex than post-production on, say, The Post.

Interesting. I've heard reports that the picture's been locked for a while.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-26-2020

The only replacement actor mentioned I've ever liked for Indy is Timothy Olyphant, but it's 10 to 15 to 20 years too late for that. People like Pine or Pratt could play Jack Colton or whatever Brendan Fraser's character in The Mummy is called, but don't have that special Ford magic that made Indy pop.

For the sake of argument, actors that are the same age as Ford when he made Raiders:

Chris Evans
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Rami Malek
Taylor Kitch
Tom Hiddleston
Elijah Wood
Hayden Christensen
Josh Gad
Boyd Holbrook
Jonathan Taylor Thomas

Or, of course, there's always Ingruber...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-26-2020

I don’t know if it happens in THE CALL OF THE WILD, but it feels like it’s time to take this old pup outside the shed and mercifully blow its head off with a rifle.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-26-2020

I imagine that as a Harrison Ford movie, we're probably at that point.

But there's no way they'll just let the franchise lie dormant.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - call me roy - 02-26-2020

Chris Evans tops the list for a reason. Hes the only one that can match Ford's chops, charisma and I'm sure given the opportunity, gruffness

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 02-26-2020

"match" is a strong word.

(02-26-2020, 06:17 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Or, of course, there's always Ingruber...

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-26-2020

Screw all this noise. Gimme a READY PLAYER TWO with Ford as Lego Indiana Jones.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Pither - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:45 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:42 PM)Pither Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:24 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Chris Pine for Indy, you heathens. He's basically the same age Ford was when RAIDERS was shot.

He's easily the best Chris for the job.

As soon as I am convinced that Pine can do menacing I'm all for it.

(02-26-2020, 06:17 PM)atomtastic Wrote: The only replacement actor mentioned I've ever liked for Indy is Timothy Olyphant, but it's 10 to 15 to 20 years too late for that. People like Pine or Pratt could play Jack Colton or whatever Brendan Fraser's character in The Mummy is called, but don't have that special Ford magic that made Indy pop.

For the sake of argument, actors that are the same age as Ford when he made Raiders:

Chris Evans
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Rami Malek
Taylor Kitch
Tom Hiddleston
Elijah Wood
Hayden Christensen
Josh Gad
Boyd Holbrook
Jonathan Taylor Thomas

Or, of course, there's always Ingruber...

Hell or High Water did a lot to sell me on Pine. I'm convinced he could bring the necessary weariness and grit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-26-2020

I don't believe that for one second.  It's just editorializing on the part of the Variety writer -- who also perpetuates obsolete information on the project's current screenwriter.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 04:46 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Between being wrong on the regular and making comments about the sex lives of cinematographers, Overlord's really on brand today!

This is both a novel I want to read and a Netflix series I want to work on.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-26-2020

I like Evans, Gordon-Levitt, Cooper or Antony Starr.

Indy's not THAT hard to play. You need charisma, a smirk, bewilderment, and exasperation. Sure, that's more range than most of the guys mentioned in this thread, but the four above definitely tick every box.

They actually could've gone with a woman for the role... if they'd been smart enough to make his kid in SKULL a daughter. Now, it'd feel like pandering.

I hate all youngish actors now. No guts, no grit. Except for Josh Brolin. And he's older than I am.
I liked Pine a lot in HELL OR HIGH WATER, but so far that's about it.

Kill off Indiana Jones. His time is done. At this point, I'd rather watch a JAKE SPEED II.

Have Indy go out a bad ass legend. With a beard, a sax and an American Indian sidekick.

Which they'll never do, because money.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bailey - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 06:51 PM)farsight Wrote: I like Evans, Gordon-Levitt, Cooper or Antony Starr.

Indy's not THAT hard to play. You need charisma, a smirk, bewilderment, and exasperation.

Larry David IS Indiana Jones.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 02-26-2020

Indy needs to resent the fact that he's in an Indiana Jones film but whatever, he's got a job to do, might as well get it done.

I really wish they'd made THE CALL OF THE WILD like twenty years ago. With glorious, real-world cinematography and trained animals instead of digital compositing and CGI. I miss films like THE BEAR, THE EDGE, NEVER CRY WOLF, etc...

I wonder how that Willem Dafoe one for television turned out. Anyone see it?

(02-26-2020, 07:01 PM)engineer Wrote: I really wish they'd made THE CALL OF THE WILD like twenty years ago.  With glorious, real-world cinematography and trained animals instead of digital compositing and CGI.  I miss films like THE BEAR, THE EDGE, NEVER CRY WOLF, etc...

Or like Milo and Otis, right?

Cry

(02-26-2020, 07:07 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 07:01 PM)engineer Wrote: I really wish they'd made THE CALL OF THE WILD like twenty years ago.  With glorious, real-world cinematography and trained animals instead of digital compositing and CGI.  I miss films like THE BEAR, THE EDGE, NEVER CRY WOLF, etc...

Or like Milo and Otis, right?

Cry

Throw in a grizzled, angry Harrison Ford and I'm there opening night.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-26-2020

WHITE FANG wrecked me as a kid. Still wrecks me today.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-26-2020

I wonder how that Willem Dafoe one for television turned out.  Anyone see it?

Togo?  It was decent enough.  Very Disney.  Some good landscape shots, some iffy cgi, mostly real dogs.

Anyways, if Spielberg is out, and Lucas is obviously out, Ford should be too.  Let it die.

This feels like Fury Road production discussion all over again.

"No Gibson?" "It's been decades? "We don't need a reboot, just let it die."

Folks never learn. Not every reboot/re-imagining is a disaster.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-26-2020

Except everyone was like "no one wants a Han Solo movie" and "no one can replace Ford" and it turned out that most people agreed!

And James Mangold isn't George Miller with 20 years of pre-production behind him.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-26-2020

I like Mangold but he seems entirely wrong for this.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-26-2020

Uh...Mangold is good, but why bother making it without Spielberg? The most tantalizing possibility for Indy 5 was Spielberg going hard on redeeming the series. Now, it's just another Disney IP release date slot filler.

Upside: No Kaminski, hehe.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 02-26-2020

Ford will exit. That feels inevitable. And Disney will go the BOND route here.

Still kinda speechless at this development, truth be told.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-26-2020

How's George Lucas' 2020 looking? All sorts of cool new digital camera tech out there for him to play with now!

(02-26-2020, 08:34 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Ford will exit. That feels inevitable. And Disney will go the BOND route here.

Still kinda speechless at this development, truth be told.

Another black eye for Lucasfilm.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-26-2020

(02-25-2020, 10:44 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Temple of Doom is darker though. Literally darker, for one thing. It’s a very subterranean movie. But it’s got Indy at his most ruthless and his most sexual, and he’s even evil for ten minutes. You’ve got child slavery, heart-ripping, skulls, bugs, weird black magic Hinduism, and frankly, just a pure relentlessness.

It’s the stuff that turned people off in 1984, and also the stuff that it’s fans most appreciate.

But it's all Loony Toons Saturday Morning Cartoons. It's all too comical and fun action adventure stuff to be dark. Temple of Doom was like the really fun one of the group. Hearts being ripped out, skulls, bugs, black magic...this is all cool and fun shit in Temple of Doom; it is not dark and scary.

You know that one scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Nazi gets run over and there's a exaggerated cartoonish reaction to it happening with his arms and legs flying up into view? Well that's Doom's whole modus operandi.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - anyawatchin angel - 02-26-2020

Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy. Anyone can be replaced. I just wish they would pull the trigger already

(02-26-2020, 08:44 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy.  Anyone can be replaced.  I just wish they would pull the trigger already

Anya gets it.

**I would also note that FIVE different actors have now portrayed Indiana Jones onscreen ... the non-Ford actor who was involved in a great project (Last Crusade) is fondly remembered and the three non-Ford actors involved in a poorly received project are not fondly remembered. If the movie is good people will quickly move past the recasting, as has been shown in multiple other franchises.