The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-26-2020

Overlord, you take the names Corey Carrier, Sean Patrick Flannery, and George Hall out of your mouth.

Just kidding. Those guys were all good!

(02-26-2020, 07:27 PM)Overlord Wrote: This feels like Fury Road production discussion all over again.

"No Gibson?" "It's been decades? "We don't need a reboot, just let it die."

Folks never learn. Not every reboot/re-imagining is a disaster.

Tell this to Fat Elvis.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 02-26-2020

Well this sucks. Kudos to those who predicted "this will never happen", turns out you were right.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-26-2020

I half wish I'd been wrong.* But this never seemed anything but a lot of talk and hopeful thinking.

*Because even if everyone had been fully engaged, I just have a hard time thinking they would have been able to make a finale worthy to stand with the first three films.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 08:44 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy. Anyone can be replaced. I just wish they would pull the trigger already
Of course they can, but we've seen a number of actors play Not-Indiana Jones (Michael Douglas, Richard Chamberlain, Brendan Fraser, Matthew McConaughey, even Tom Selleck...) and they don't even come close!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 09:21 PM)atomtastic Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 08:44 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy.  Anyone can be replaced.  I just wish they would pull the trigger already
Of course they can,  but we've seen a number of actors play Not-Indiana Jones (Michael Douglas, Richard Chamberlain, Brendan Fraser, Matthew McConaughey, even Tom Selleck...) and they don't even come close!

... I mean, I can't argue with that.  These actors, who were never cast as Indiana Jones, really didn't come close to portraying Indiana Jones.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-26-2020

I dunno, I think Fraser was playing Indy... and did a fine job of it, even in a middling-at-best script with a complete bag of suck directing.

If Fraser had been given a script on par with Raiders or even TLC, and a director within 10 tiers of Spielberg, I think he'd have become a superstar from playing "not-Indy-but-really-Indy".

For the record, I really liked Flannery as young Indy as well. His stories were great fun; that show was torpedoed from the start by splitting time with Baby Indy and Almost-Dead-Indy.

Actually... to hell with a movie reboot... Reboot the Young Indy series (with only old-enough-to-drive-Indy), let it run 5 seasons or so while building up some cool recurring friends n villains, then as your Young Indy ages out of the "Young" part, you're ready to try the movie thing again!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 09:44 PM)farsight Wrote: Actually... to hell with a movie reboot... Reboot the Young Indy series (with only old-enough-to-drive-Indy), let it run 5 seasons or so while building up some cool recurring friends n villains, then as your Young Indy ages out of the "Young" part, you're ready to try the movie thing again!

With Ingruber?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - anyawatchin angel - 02-26-2020

Nathan Fillion in Firefly and Chris Pratt in GotG did pretty good Ford imitations

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-26-2020

I can't even fathom that. Neither Mal nor Quill are conspicuously alike to Han Solo other than the general "roguish yet charming space mercenary" concept (ground that had already been strip-mined bare long before either series came onto the scene...well, comics nerds may feel free to correct me on Quill, but I suspect I'm not wrong,) and neither of them are doing anything like an imitation of Ford in their roles. In particular, as far as Indy comparisons go, neither of them display that characteristic persistent state of world-weary mild exasperation; Quill's a loveable goof, and Mal is a laid-back, easy-going sort who just happens to find himself in exasperation-worthy predicaments now and again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-26-2020

Years ago I did a kind of "what if" where they actually kept making Indy movies with different directors and different Indiana Jones actors after 1989, and I had Brendan Fraiser play Jones in a romp directed by Joe Dante.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-26-2020

I will never understand the appeal of Fraiser or (especially) The Mummy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-26-2020

Jerry Goldsmith did most of the heavy lifting.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-26-2020

Fraser is affable enough, but I've never been able to fathom how he became a movie star and not just a likeable character actor. Was there some kind of shortage of likeable dopey white guys in late-'90s/early-'00s Hollywood?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-26-2020

It’s absolutely crazy that the Fraser Mummy is the closest anyone’s come to the right tone since 1989.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-26-2020

Yall are missing the silver lining.

No Kaminski means this might actually look like the original 3 films!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-26-2020

Fraser got a lot of mileage out of ENCINO MAN and WITH HONORS.
I'm not even kidding.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - first class 782 - 02-26-2020

My only memory of WITH HONORS was that Moira Kelly was scorching in it.

(02-26-2020, 11:34 PM)mola ram Wrote: Yall are missing the silver lining.

No Kaminski means this might actually look like the original 3 films!

I'd love that... The last shot of THE LAST CRUSADE was one of the most satisfying final shots in my moviegoing lifetime and they let it run a long, lonnng time.  But do current DPs know how to settle the hell down for a few minutes and let a shot wash over the viewer?  Or will they forever run-and-gun jumpy style before swinging their "camera" through bullshit rendered landscapes, swooping impossibly over fake buildings and shit, just because they can?

Ian Malcolm would've been an amazing cinematographer.

(02-26-2020, 11:41 PM)first class 782 Wrote: My only memory of WITH HONORS was that Moira Kelly was scorching in it.

Yep, but women swooned.  For quite a while, Fraser was the non-threatening romantic male lead that daughters, moms and grandmas could all watch together.  He was Tom Hanks 2.0, but with more "bland" and less "interesting."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-27-2020

Brendan Fraser was Chris Pratt, with range.

Encino Man, School Ties, With Honors, Gods and Monsters, Blast from the Past, The Mummy, Bedazzled.

Not exactly a murderer's row of great filmmaking, but Fraser was aces in all of them. He could be funny, vulnerable, brooding, frantic, angry... and was always charismatic. With a lesser lead, almost all of those films would've been dreadful.

Honestly, I'd easily take him as an actor over most of the names mentioned for Indy.

But looking at his imdb page... fuck he had a terrible agent!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-27-2020

His downside was that of lots of actors... Nobody wanted to be Brendan Fraser.

Bogart, Wayne, McQueen, Connery, Eastwood, Ford, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Murray, Willis and nowadays The Rock, Pratt and Downey, maybe... These were/are actors who played characters many admired and aspired to, who maybe helped some define themselves.

Nobody watched a Fraser film and said "Hey, that's me," or "I wish I was him." He was always too safe, too "normal." That said, I really enjoyed his film TWENTY BUCKS, WITH HONORS was okay, AIRHEADS made me laugh a bit and THE QUIET AMERICAN was fine. But he lacked that thing that makes an actor really connect in a long-term way. At least with me and those I knew and know. "Are you a Brendan Fraser fan?" you might ask a random someone. And you'll likely hear back, "Meh, he was okay, I guess."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-27-2020

School Ties is a stone cold fucking classic and I will fight every single one of you who says otherwise.

Matt Damon in that is basically the Mitt Romney origin story.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-27-2020

He played romantic lead opposite Moira Kelly, Alicia Silverstone, Rachel Weisz and Elizabeth Hurley.

I wanted to be him at least a little bit...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 12:36 AM)farsight Wrote: He played romantic lead opposite Moira Kelly, Alicia Silverstone, Rachel Weisz and Elizabeth Hurley.

I wanted to be him at least a little bit...

That's like wanting to "be" Ron Jeremy.   Liking the "work environment" more than the performer himself! LOL

(Maybe that's a big jump and oversimplification, but still...)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hp pufncraft - 02-27-2020

Fraser had his own Me Too moment (as a victim) that he thinks might've derailed his career:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/2/22/17040046/brendan-fraser-me-too-sexual-misconduct-philip-berk

He's currently on Doom Patrol and is great as Robot Man.

And that video just became my favorite Brendan Fraser work of all time.
Finally! A character I can relate to!! Smile

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul755 - 02-27-2020

(02-26-2020, 11:13 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I will never understand the appeal of Fraiser or (especially) The Mummy.

(02-26-2020, 11:31 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: It’s absolutely crazy that the Fraser Mummy is the closest anyone’s come to the right tone since 1989.

The last 2 are varying degrees of suck. Especially the 3rd one. But the first one is a damned classic. Pretty much everything in the movie works.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 02-27-2020

I enjoyed the 1999 Mummy due to Fraser & Weisz's chemistry, Arnold Vosloo's performance as the title character, John Hannah, Kevin J. O'Connor's dim-witted henchman (gotta enjoy his death by scarabs), the 1930's Egypt setting, the CGI monster and creature FX, and the great action sequences.

I rate it up there with the Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing version from Hammer as one of the most enjoyable Mummy films (found the Karloff one boring), and it's also one 90's blockbuster that still holds up 20 years later.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 02:56 AM)ravi Wrote: I enjoyed the 1999 Mummy due to Fraser & Weisz's chemistry, Arnold Vosloo's performance as the title character, John Hannah, Kevin J. O'Connor's dim-witted henchman (gotta enjoy his death by scarabs), the 1930's Egypt setting, the CGI monster and creature FX, and the great action sequences.

Co-signed.

THE MUMMY '99 is just a blast. Completely unpretentious and interested in simply being a fun time at the movies, which it pulls off without succumbing to too many "1990s blockbuster" pitfalls. Plus Goldsmith delivers perhaps his best score of that decade.

I also think its attempt to marry Classic Universal Horror with action works much better than any of Universal's later attempts to do that same thing.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-27-2020

I once sold a pack of cigarettes to Fraser

nice dude

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-27-2020

So even accounting for the fact that Iger signaled his departure far in advance, is it pure coincidence that Spielberg left this project on the heels of a Disney regime change?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-27-2020

I was never convinced Spielberg’s heart was in this from the beginning, despite press releases. This has been in development hell since 2011 and Spielberg has always seemed to attach himself to a new project rather than focus on this one.

I suspect the announcement of the new CEO and Spielberg leaving is just a coincidence, but I guess that’s too boring for some.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-27-2020

Agreed with stocks. The Beard's consistent pattern of NOT actually beginning work on Indy 5 leads me to accept that the other events in Disney's leaderships aren't related or causes, direct or otherwise, of the news re: Spielberg's not directing.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-27-2020

It’s a shame because I was intrigued at the idea that Spielberg would want to do one more just to leave it on a higher note than CRYSTAL SKULL. I suspect whatever scripts were being thrown at him just never grabbed his heart, so he kept pushing it off until he figured it was futile.

I don’t think Spielberg should have returned after LAST CRUSADE. He seemed to have put everything he ever wanted to do with Indy by that film, and probably should have resisted Lucas’ and Ford’s temptations to come back with “no I’m LITERALLY DONE, go find another director if you want to make another so badly”. It just took him until 2020 to finally say he’s not into Indy anymore.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-27-2020

Mummy '99 features peak Rachel Weisz.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-27-2020

"I...am a libriarian!"

(which is my way of agreeing with you, boone)