The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-27-2020

Any man that watches Eragon willingly does not have good taste.

Thesis stands.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-27-2020

You can see how Mangold would check a lot of boxes for Spielberg, Ford and the suits that would make him an agreed-upon choice.  As the director of LOGAN, he has a successful Final Outing For A Brand Action Hero Past His Prime on his resume.  He is a producer on THE CALL OF THE WILD, so there's a connection to the star.  And he apparently worked on THE MANDALORIAN, so his introduction to Lucasfilm is sealed as well.

For those of you who can find a way to remain interested in this project, I guess the main thing to see as hopeful is that Spielberg isn't handing this off to some up-and-coming young buck.  Mangold is a seasoned director in his mid-fifties.  But that also makes the claim that this is about "handing off to a new generation" a little strange. It is either a reflection of Spielberg's view of the script or of his own abilities if he thinks he needs somebody else to come in and make the sendoff for the character he co-created work.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-27-2020

Mangold does have prior experience working with Ford.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 02-27-2020

(02-26-2020, 08:44 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy.  Anyone can be replaced.  I just wish they would pull the trigger already

I think the difference lies here: all of those characters originated in another medium, and actors played a spin on that original character. Also, every actor who played them (or voiced them in cartoons) was recast at least once within 10 years. 

By contrast, Indiana Jones has been played (essentially) by one actor for forty years - the same uniquely charismatic actor who brought him to life. Indiana Jones - like Han Solo, only probably more so - doesn't have terribly much to him on paper. A vast and essential part of the character's appeal are the thousand little Harrison Ford wrinkles in him, things which no big Hollywood names (except, hear me out, Adam Driver, who looks too grim and odd for the part) nowadays could possibly evoke or do an interesting spin on. Certainly not some Chris Pratt dudebro lunk or a Downey Jr-style grating quip machine (I don't mean to disparage those actors, who can play outside those modes, but if they were hired for Indy that's the kind of energy they'd be told to bring).

Ford is Indiana Jones in a way that not even Sean Connery is James Bond.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-27-2020

People love to bring up examples of other characters that have been played by multiple actors, but less than two years ago we had another actor step in for another iconic Ford role and most people still couldn't accept it, despite Alden Ehrenreich doing a pretty good job!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 04:29 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I can't believe you just admitted to having watched ERAGON.
(02-27-2020, 04:57 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Any man that watches Eragon willingly does not have good taste.

Thesis stands.
In my defense, it was for the Rifftrax, which was brilliant.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 05:32 PM)atomtastic Wrote: People love to bring up examples of other characters that have been played by multiple actors, but less than two years ago we had another actor step in for another iconic Ford role and most people still couldn't accept it, despite Alden Ehrenreich doing a pretty good job!

He genuinely did! But no amount of effort could've overcome the impossible hurdle (and it's a fucking shame that it seems to have stalled his career). I'm struggling to think of a comparable situation to Jones/Solo, where a new actor has been sought to play an a) incredibly famous and beloved role that's b) only been played by the one actor for nearly four decades.

Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy in the forgotten Nightmare on Elm Street remake is pretty similar.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-27-2020

It’s a matter of when, not if.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 04:29 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: ...I think the only thing I've seen Weisz in was Eragon.

I thought watching The Fountain was required by CHUD Law.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - anyawatchin angel - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 05:32 PM)atomtastic Wrote: People love to bring up examples of other characters that have been played by multiple actors, but less than two years ago we had another actor step in for another iconic Ford role and most people still couldn't accept it, despite Alden Ehrenreich doing a pretty good job!
It would help if the movie wasn't terrible and he Donald Glover didn't overshadow him as Lando

Donald Glover is very bad in Solo!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 06:27 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 04:29 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: ...I think the only thing I've seen Weisz in was Eragon.

I thought watching The Fountain was required by CHUD Law.

This is commodorejohn, hammerhead! The man who does not watch movies!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-27-2020

I watch movies! Sometimes! I watched Eragon!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-27-2020

As keeper of CHUD Law, it is my duty to inform you that The Fountain is subject to Rule 501-C3, known commonly as "The Faraci Excemption," which states that any movie required by CHUD Law that Devin Faraci would not shut up about and was really smug about for months on end is not required viewing. See also: The Wackness.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-27-2020

Youve gotta see The Fountain!

Also another classic Chud moment: Everyone ragging on how weird Weisz looks running through the woods in Bourne Legacy. It's the "trying to escape quicksand" run.

(02-27-2020, 07:49 PM)boone daniels Wrote: As keeper of CHUD Law, it is my duty to inform you that The Fountain is subject to Rule 501-C3, known commonly as "The Faraci Excemption," which states that any movie required by CHUD Law that Devin Faraci would not shut up about and was really smug about for months on end is not required viewing. See also: The Wackness.
Does this apply even if one only came aboard after said party was long gone?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 02-27-2020

I do not enjoy the Fountain. At all. If we’re talking great Weiss, Constant Gardener it is.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-27-2020

Excuse me, I’m back from my bunk.

Boy is Daniel Craig a lucky son of a bitch.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 02-27-2020

Still my favorite piece of Ford acting from the last 20 years.

Neil is the first one to cite Constant Gardner.

Therefore, Neil is the horniest for Rachel Weisz pending the citation of one other film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-27-2020

Stealing Beauty.

You know why.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 08:46 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: I do not enjoy the Fountain. At all. 

DAMMIT, NEIL!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 09:19 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Still my favorite piece of Ford acting from the last 20 years.

Because it's not acting Smile

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-28-2020

Jon Kasdan shared the variety article, which I guess means he's still writing the film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-28-2020

The rotation of writers as far as we know has been Koepp->Kasdan->Fogelman->Koepp.  

Kasdan's comment seemed to me just a general thumbs up to the idea of Mangold and not an indication that he is back on the project, though I guess anything is possible at this point.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 02-28-2020

(02-27-2020, 09:20 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Neil is the first one to cite Constant Gardner.

Therefore, Neil is the horniest for Rachel Weisz pending the citation of one other film.

Um... um... CHAIN REACTION!  

I like her a whole lot in About a Boy and Confidence as well!

(02-27-2020, 09:32 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 08:46 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: I do not enjoy the Fountain. At all. 

DAMMIT, NEIL!

What!?!?  Its boring and pretentious!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 02-28-2020

Here's a deep cut for Weisz fansz, the first thing I saw her in was a long forgotten football themed BBC mini-series called My Summer With Des (she appears 8 minutes in). It was mostly forgettable except that I distinctly remember wondering where they found this bombshell and why people weren't making a big deal about it. The world caught on pretty fast of course. She was still rocking the aggressively plucked eyebrows at that point unfortunately.

Re: Spielberg, frankly Mangold is probably a safer pair of hands at this point, but it's sad that he won't be joining Ford for one last go around. Everyone likes a comeback story, and even if Indy V does turn out to be that, Spielberg himself will have left the series on a bum note.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 12:38 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: What!?!?  Its boring and pretentious!

Dead to me.

DEAD.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-28-2020

Speaking for myself here, the question of "better or worse for the project" isn't even relevant to the issue of replacing Spielberg.  My interest in this was entirely in seeing what it would look like for the original team to put a button on what they initiated.  The New Era under Disney was always going to occur, and I was always going to suddenly decide I'd grown out of Indy right at that moment.  But until now there was going to be an unequivocal kissoff and a nice demarcative line.

With this news, Indy becomes just another Marvel IP to me.  It's perfectly plausible that Mangold or whomever the hire ends up being will make a really good movie here.  But I'm just as sure that the last ten years have seen some really good superhero movies, and some good post-Lucas STAR WARS movies.  I also don't care to find out, because I just don't give a shit.  I was kinda hoping my relationship with this series would only come to that after one last movie.  Bust out the string quartet -- it's a tough world for an old nerd.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 02-28-2020

I agree... but at the same time Mangold is one of the very very few people who managed to wade into superhero franchise territory and create an honest-to-god real movie, or at least something very close to it.

Crystal Skull already wasn't a real movie, it was a too-many-cooks hodgepodge of cobbled together nonsense pretending to be a movie. So if Mangold manages to make another real movie that also happens to be an Indy movie, I'll take that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 01:57 PM)fatherdude Wrote: With this news, Indy becomes just another Marvel IP to me. 

So ... a radical improvement over the state of affairs since 1989?

More like, "I wouldn't even know because I'm dismissing it out of hand."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 03:05 PM)fatherdude Wrote: More like, "I wouldn't even know because I'm dismissing it out of hand."

You're missing out.  They aren't all good ... or even average ... but there are some very entertaining MCU movies.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-28-2020

There are some solid-ish popcorn flicks in the MCU catalog. There's nothing remotely comparable to even TLC, let alone Raiders.