The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 03:13 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: There are some solid-ish popcorn flicks in the MCU catalog. There's nothing remotely comparable to even TLC, let alone Raiders.

I was referring to people giving a shit about actually telling more stories in that universe, not that the MCU is similar in tone/quality to the Indy trilogy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 03:09 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 03:05 PM)fatherdude Wrote: More like, "I wouldn't even know because I'm dismissing it out of hand."

You're missing out.  They aren't all good ... or even average ... but there are some very entertaining MCU movies.

olord also tells me frequently that last jedi is a very worthy and entertaining star war!

Risewalker even better!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-28-2020

I would say that Captain America: The First Avenger IS remotely comparable to the Indy films. Helps that one of the guys who created Indy directed it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-28-2020

I wouldn't know, but as far as I'm concerned Joe Johnston already earned that stripe with THE ROCKETEER, which was an explicit attempt by Disney to make their own Indiana Jones franchise.  Still don't know how it didn't work (commercially).  Sometimes, the audience is the asshole.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-28-2020

Captain America is a pretty solid little '40s throwback; The Rocketeer is a better one. Neither of them match up to the Indy flicks.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-28-2020

Johnson gets the right tone, but his action skills are sorely lacking.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-28-2020

The Mask of Zorro is THE film that never seems to get mentioned when people bring up Indy-like movies.

**Mummy and Romancing the Stone would probably be my other top selections. I find it interesting that the films that explicitly inspired the Indy series, like Secret of the Incas, Gunga Din, or Beau Geste, really don't feel much like Indy films when you watch them.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-28-2020

Now there's a movie I really ought to revisit one of these days.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 06:54 PM)Overlord Wrote: The Mask of Zorro is THE film that never seems to get mentioned when people bring up Indy-like movies.

**Mummy and Romancing the Stone would probably be my other top selections.  I find it interesting that the films that explicitly inspired the Indy series, like Secret of the Incas, Gunga Din, or Beau Geste, really don't feel much like Indy films when you watch them.

Secret of the Incas does in parts, the beginning anyways; but the Indy films are way faster and more action packed.

When it comes to best Indy knockoffs I'd go with Operation Condor and Romancing the Stome as the best. I re-watched them all fairly close together a few years ago and they came out on top of the Indy movies for me.  

Outside of some pulp connection I don't really see the Zorro thing. Maybe it's just been too long and I'm forgetting some aspect of it?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-28-2020

Zorro is more like a proto superhero movie, but it's still aces.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 02-28-2020

Man, I could watch Romancing the Stone all day. You want a definition of film chemistry, watch Douglas and Turner in that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-28-2020

Yeah, they're great together, the movie is really funny, and Zemeckis is great at action. Romancing the Stone is pretty perfect. I never forgot I liked it, but I'd kind of forgotten just how good it was until I rewatched it a few years ago.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-28-2020

I'd rather Zemeckis do Indy 5 than Mangold.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 02-28-2020

Zemeckis doesn't seem to work that much lately.

Though I had no idea he directed that Pitt/Cotillard WW2 thing Allied a few years ago. Kinda came and went, maybe I'll try to watch it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-28-2020

(02-28-2020, 09:41 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I'd rather Zemeckis do Indy 5 than Mangold.

You want a dead-eyed CGI Indy?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul755 - 02-29-2020

(02-28-2020, 09:05 PM)bradito Wrote: Zorro is more like a proto superhero movie, but it's still aces.

I caught it for the first time in a longtime a few weeks ago. It’s still a blast.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-29-2020

One of the best trailers, too.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 02-29-2020

I did a run of Zemeckis movies I missed in the theater a while ago...

FLIGHT: My fave of the three. Very much enjoyed the actors & characters and where they went.
ALLIED: Some interesting technique and a few solid moments but eventually sort of an empty viewing for me.
THE WALK: A nice exercise but ended up meaning very little to me. The fourth wall thing bugged me too. MAN ON WIRE was better.
Still haven't seen WELCOME TO MARWEN but I'm not super-stoked to.

Mostly a bit of a drop from his amazing 1978-2004 (!) run.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul755 - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 12:40 AM)bradito Wrote: One of the best trailers, too.

Indeed. 

Shame the sequel didn’t live up to the original.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 02-29-2020

The Mask of Zorro was one of the better blockbusters of the 90's and it still holds up. I think the guys behind the original Pirates of the Caribbean wrote it?

Yes, it is a shame that The Legend of Zorro sucked. And they had Rufus Sewall and Nick Chinlund as the villains too!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - waaaaaaaalt - 02-29-2020

Anyone know why Rodriguez never did his Zorro?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-29-2020

I really liked Allied a lot. Watched it maybe just a couple years ago for the first time. Liked it way more than I thought I would. Maybe the best thing Zemeckis has done since Death Becomes Her? It's kind of like his Inglourious Basterds meets Casablanca action movie, with some mystery in there. I'd put it as one of the better action movies of the past decade.

I still haven't seen Welcome to Marwen and I don't know if I ever will. I just really don't see much of a point in it even being a thing when Marwencol is already a film that exist. Maybe if it's on Netflix sometime or something, because I'm kind of interested in it.

(02-29-2020, 04:04 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Anyone know why Rodriguez never did his Zorro?

Budget issues is all I'm seeing.

I should have just looked at the wiki page first:

Connery and Salomon eventually dropped out, and in September 1995, Robert Rodriguez, fresh from the success of Desperado, signed to direct with Antonio Banderas, who had also starred in Desperado, playing the title role.[20] TriStar and Amblin had been surprised by Rodriguez's low-budget filming techniques for his action films, El Mariachi and Desperado, and shifted away from their initial plans with Salomon to make a big-budget version of Zorro.[21] Spielberg had hoped Rodriguez would start filming in January 1996 for a Christmas release date, but the start date was pushed back to July.[22][23][24] The release date was later moved to Easter 1997.[25] Rodriguez pulled out of the film' in June 1996 over difficulties coming to terms with TriStar on the budget. The studio projected a range of $35 million, while Rodriguez wanted $45 million. They both attempted to compromise when Rodriguez lowered it to $42 million, but the studio refused and set $41 million as their highest mark.[25] Banderas remained with the production, and Martin Campbell signed on later that month, turning down the chance to direct Tomorrow Never Dies.[26]

(02-26-2020, 08:44 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Characters that have had multiple actors play them that have been great
Batman
Spider-Man
James Bond
Joker
Professor X
Magneto

But somehow nobody else can play Indy.  Anyone can be replaced.  I just wish they would pull the trigger already

None of those characters were created for a movie. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, with those other characters they already existed for people before the movies.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Bucho - 02-29-2020

I must have watched Romancing the Stone 30 times as a kid. I rewatched it a couple of years ago too and it was still splendid.

I'm really, really good at watching that movie correctly.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 04:49 AM)Bucho Wrote: I must have watched Romancing the Stone 30 times as a kid. I rewatched it a couple of years ago too and it was still splendid.

I'm really, really good at watching that movie correctly.

But did you watch it with the sequel and cap it off with The War of the Roses?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - magiclapinou - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 04:27 AM)simbob Wrote: None of those characters were created for a movie. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, with those other characters they already existed for people before the movies.

And the character has been associated with Ford for *40 years*. Not even Connery had such a lengthy legacy to follow. That's why Sean Patrick Flannery is probably not waiting by the phone. Or is he??

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-29-2020

anyone who plays Indy next is unfortunately (for them) gonna have to take the fall as the lazenby/ehrenreich palette cleanser that paves the way for whoever comes after that, if that

there needs to be destruction before audiences shruggingly accepts replacement of a beloved icon

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-29-2020

Heh, due to this thread, streaming Romancing the Stone right now with my coffee. It's not Colombian, sadly

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 02-29-2020

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/indiana-jones-ark-spotted-antiques-roadshow-1281584

A guy pulled the prototype Ark from Raiders out of his attic, where it had been used for storing blankets, to get it appraised on Antiques Roadshow. Potential price tag: $120,000.

Those "top men" really hid it well!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - anyawatchin angel - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 07:12 AM)Nooj Wrote: there needs to be destruction before audiences shruggingly accepts replacement of a beloved icon
Didn't Crystal Skull do that?

(02-29-2020, 04:27 AM)simbob Wrote: None of those characters were created for a movie. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, with those other characters they already existed for people before the movies.
True but not everyone read the source material. I've never read a Bond novel. Lots of people love comic book movies who have never read one.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 11:55 AM)anyawatchin angel Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 07:12 AM)Nooj Wrote: there needs to be destruction before audiences shruggingly accepts replacement of a beloved icon
Didn't Crystal Skull do that?
mmm... that's a different kind of destruction that results in people simply ignoring its existence

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-29-2020

It goes against human instinct, but still worth remembering that "This is the way it's always been" is not a supportable or sustainable argument against change.

it's also worth remembering that the human instinct to try to keep extend things past their expiration date is not always the healthiest of compulsions

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 03:10 PM)Nooj Wrote: it's also worth remembering that the human instinct to try to keep extend things past their expiration date is not always the healthiest of compulsions
^ THIS.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - barry woodward - 02-29-2020

Now that SUPERNATURAL is ending, what about Jensen Ackles as Indiana Jones?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-29-2020

What about an interesting actor as an original character?