The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 03-18-2020

oooo, liking the Antony Starr suggestion.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-18-2020

*obligatory Anthony Ingruber suggestion*

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 03-18-2020

(03-18-2020, 06:44 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: oooo, liking the Antony Starr suggestion.

Good taste, have you.

(03-18-2020, 06:37 PM)MichaelM Wrote: PINE, goddamit.

YOU'VE GOT READING TO DO, MICHAEL.

(03-18-2020, 06:50 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: *obligatory Anthony Ingruber suggestion*

Don't make me destroy you. 

**Someone needs to suggest Idris Elba, asap.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-18-2020

(03-18-2020, 02:18 AM)history buff Wrote: Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford seemed to all have moved on, why not let somebody else take a crack at it.

Is it clear that Ford has moved on?  We know there's been no sign of George since the acquisition, and we can probably trust Variety's veracity on the Spielberg departure given that nobody involved with the production has said anything to contradict it (nor have they said anything else, in fact) in the three weeks since.

I would have thought that Spielberg and Ford were a team on this, but we shouldn't assume that Ford followed Spielberg out the door until that's been announced.  Wouldn't hiring the director of LOGAN suggest that it's still being treated as the send-off for Old Indy after all?

Ford has said that the movie has a "very good script."  It's hard to believe that Spielberg would ditch the chance to direct the finale of his own series if that was true, but if that's really what happened, Ford would probably be reluctant to mothball good material that was four years in the making.

It's incredibly plausible that this really has all fallen apart and will be re-envisioned as a full reboot. Especially given the "now or never" factor that was in play before a pandemic arrived. But this has continued to be depicted as "INDY 5" as of a month ago, and I'm assuming that is still the case until we hear different.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 03-18-2020

YOU'VE GOT READING TO DO, MICHAEL.

Not with all the libraries closed, I don't.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 03-18-2020

I mean, for all we know, Coronavirusmania might be blocking a bunch of currently-in-preproduction titles from entering production for 18-24 months. In fact, I am going to guess that Spielberg had some insider knowledge on how bad this whole pandemic situation was going to become roughly a month ago and decided to bail on it with that in mind (among other reasons, of course).

As was said above, it would hardly be surprising to see this movie just kind of die off once and for all because of Coronavirus.

I was excited about this (probably unduly so) when it looked like we could get the "last roundup" of the "gang"--Spielberg, Ford, Williams, et. al. (yes, I know, George Lucas was already out)--but at this juncture, I just couldn't care less.

Let the franchise go into an even longer hibernation and in a few years if they really want to, I guess, reboot it with a whole new star and director, etc. Enough.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 03-18-2020

Shia will be begging to do it in a few years, once the sham rehabilitation of his career via indie prestige movies is over.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 03-18-2020

Is it still going? I thought that was over with by Obama's second term.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 03-18-2020

Honeyboy got respectable reviews.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 03-21-2020

So did The Peanut Butter Falcon. It's not like he just does little indie movies anyways, he was in Fury and Lawless.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-22-2020

(03-21-2020, 05:11 PM)simbob Wrote: So did The Peanut Butter Falcon. It's not like he just does little indie movies anyways, he was in Fury and Lawless.

Those were quite awhile ago now, 6 and 7 years ago respectively. He's pretty much been distanced from Hollywood for awhile, with the exception of his appearance at the Oscars and that was only so he could be there for his down syndrome co-star from THE PEANUT BUTTER FALCON.

I'm happy for him. He's enjoying doing these smaller films rather than getting a lot of hate from fanboys over TRANSFORMERS and CRYSTAL SKULL.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 03-29-2020

A part of me even wonders if Indy 5 is a good idea, for other reasons.

If you follow film podcasts or read certain articles (on twitter), there's been a wave of hate towards the Indiana Jones series over the past two years or so, because apparently the films are pro-colonialist and are orientalist.

People are seriously shitting on Raiders of the Lost Ark, and poor Temple of Doom, any discussion of that film these days usually boils down to how racist it is.

As a massive fan of the series, it's kind of disheartening to see.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-29-2020

They’re morons.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 02:02 PM)mola ram Wrote: A part of me even wonders if Indy 5 is a good idea, for other reasons.

If you follow film podcasts or read certain articles (on twitter), there's been a wave of hate towards the Indiana Jones series over the past two years or so, because apparently the films are pro-colonialist and are orientalist.

People are seriously shitting on Raiders of the Lost Ark, and poor Temple of Doom, any discussion of that film these days usually boils down to how racist it is.

Don't let those people take away from your enjoyment of the movies in any way!

(03-29-2020, 09:47 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: They’re morons.

That's right.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 03-29-2020

Indiana Jones and the Virus of Doom. This is definitely not happening now.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 02:02 PM)mola ram Wrote: A part of me even wonders if Indy 5 is a good idea, for other reasons.

Don't let those people take away from your enjoyment of the movies in any way!

(03-29-2020, 09:47 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: They’re morons.

That's right.

I know it's just that kind of negativity spreads and people start preaching to the choir. And I'm not saying there aren't valid critiques, but a lot of them just seem so one-sided and deliberately viewing things from the worst possible angle.

Like a common critique I've seen is that Raiders of the Lost Ark is racist towards people of color because they're portrayed as bad guys. But that isn't true. The Hovitos tribe in the beginning of the film are being duped by Belloq, Cairo is depicted as a place full of life, Sallah saves Indy several times, his children save Indy, a group of Arabs also help Indy escape from the Nazi's, and Captain Katanga saves Indy and tries to protect Marion.

Then people say "well Sallah is just played by a white guy, another example of whitewashing." Okay, fine but Sallah is still presented as an Arab character, one of the few heroic Arab characters in American films. For a film from 1981, that's a huge deal!

Another popular critique is Indiana Jones is a colonialist looter who steals artifacts from the people it belongs too, which is such a shallow reading of the films. In Raiders, Indy is trying to stop the ark from falling into the hands of the Nazi's, and the moral of the whole story is that the ark isn't something that should be disturbed by man. In Crusade, to quote Sean Connery "the quest for the grail, is not archaeology. It's a race against evil! If it is captured by the Nazi's, the armies of darkness will march over the face of the earth!

In fact, Indy never gets to keep the artifacts he's seeking.

In Raiders, the ark is taken at the end by the American government, and the film portrays it as a bad thing. Even the opening scene with Indy trying to steal the idol, he doesn't get to keep it and he barely escapes with his life.

In Temple, Indy returns the Sankara stone to the village.

In Last Crusade, Indy doesn't care about the grail, he wants to find his father. And then at the end, he learns to "let it go."

I kind of went on a rant here, but it's really frustrating to see such critiques about these films.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 03-29-2020

This rant belongs in a museum!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 03-30-2020

(03-22-2020, 02:30 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 05:11 PM)simbob Wrote: So did The Peanut Butter Falcon. It's not like he just does little indie movies anyways, he was in Fury and Lawless.

Those were quite awhile ago now, 6 and 7 years ago respectively. He's pretty much been distanced from Hollywood for awhile, with the exception of his appearance at the Oscars and that was only so he could be there for his down syndrome co-star from THE PEANUT BUTTER FALCON.

I'm happy for him. He's enjoying doing these smaller films rather than getting a lot of hate from fanboys over TRANSFORMERS and CRYSTAL SKULL.

One of his new upcoming movies is The Tax Collector with David Ayer.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 03-30-2020

On the one hand, I think the movie being set in the late '60s, early '70s would simply by design move it away from the racist stereotypes of the first three movies, which were embedded in the pulp era.

On the other, this production was already pretty sketchy. Coronavirus will set it back another year, and yeah, it ain't happening.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 03-30-2020

(02-25-2020, 01:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote: never

ever

happens

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 03-30-2020

Apparently the Indy films can't/won't be on Disney+ for a while due to Paramount retaining the rights. But I wonder if the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles could be?

I maintain a soft spot for that doofy series.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 03-30-2020

Never watched it. I didn't want to see Indy limited by TV budgets and the tropes/limitations of the time when it aired. Indy belonged on the big screen.

(Which is of course ironic, considering the character's serial/pulp roots.)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-30-2020

I think the show might be mixed up with Paramount as well, and if so it's at their discretion when/where it will stream.  The movies lived on Prime for a while before moving to Netflix on New Year's 2019.  After that deal expires we'll see who Paramount licenses to next.  I kind of figured INDY 5 would be what would eventually get the series on Disney Plus, as it would be in both companies' interest to have the whole series on one platform.  Disney apparently let Paramount into the Lucasfilm vaults in order to load up the upcoming UHD box set with new bonus features, so there's definitely a precedent of the two sides playing ball with each other.  The rising tide lifts all ships.

The series is fun. It helps that they're small stories (except for the one when an underage Indy joins the French Foreign Legion so he can fight in WWI, and ends up in a POW camp), so they're not trying to be the movies.

At the same time, I can't recommend a grownass man watch it for the first time in 2020. I would say the show could be revived. I believe the original ends in 1920, so just do a continuation with Indy in his 20s.

Maybe not get to the point when he fools around with a 12-year-old Marion...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-30-2020

The show remains pretty remarkable from a production standpoint, in that they really did shoot all around the world.  Regrettably, they filmed on 16mm in an attempt to cut costs somewhere, but that didn't stop it from being too expensive to live.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 03-31-2020

Yeah, that show is also a Paramount CBS production despite airing on ABC. Although didn't Disney Channel play it for a bit in the early '90s when they were also running stuff like Young Sherlock Holmes and *batteries not included?

(03-30-2020, 09:17 AM)fatherdude Wrote: The show remains pretty remarkable from a production standpoint, in that they really did shoot all around the world.  Regrettably, they filmed on 16mm in an attempt to cut costs somewhere, but that didn't stop it from being too expensive to live.

You say that like 16mm is bad. Lots of good looking movies have been shot in 16 and Super 16.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-31-2020

No argument there. But it does permanently lock the show into a certain level of video quality. Well, that and the fact that it's doubtful Paramount would ever cut the enormous check for an HD scan of the original negatives (should they still exist) and then replicate all of post-production, as the finished episodes would currently only exist as standard def masters.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-31-2020

I think any remaster of the show can only be done by LucasFilm from their vaults, which means Disney would have to make an arrangement with Paramount.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - chief zabu - 03-31-2020

Any complaints about racial issues could also be made against films such as "The Man Who Would be King"; recall the scene on the train with the despicable treatment by our 'heroes' of the innocent man with the watermelon? How about "Lawrence or Arabia"; lets just give the portrayals by Anthony Quinn or Alex Guinness as examples. I just suggest that both were products of their time or reflections of their time when the source material was written. I don't think the Indiana Jones films are any different.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 03-31-2020

(03-30-2020, 09:17 AM)fatherdude Wrote: The show remains pretty remarkable from a production standpoint, in that they really did shoot all around the world.  Regrettably, they filmed on 16mm in an attempt to cut costs somewhere, but that didn't stop it from being too expensive to live.

Young Indiana Jones was a near-complete misfire.  Dreadful casting of the leads (Remy was terrible and Flannery was 100% wrong for the role) and the characterization of Indy doesn't match his portrayal from the movies in any respect.  The kid from Young Indiana Jones becomes the Dr. Jones in the prequel Temple of Doom?  Nonsense. 

If anyone wants to check it out, I'd recommend the following (this list is "all-inclusive" ... meaning if it isn't on it, it's fucking godawful ...).

1.)The first "half" of the Phantom Train of Doom (they combined two different episodes into one for a home "movie" version ... in any event, it's the first hour or so, until the "Train" storyline is concluded.) Directed by an actual action film director (guy who did Rambo III).

2.)Daredevils of the Desert:  The best cast, best acted, most complete story arc of the entire Indy television run.  Don't look up the actors/actresses that appear. It's better to be surprised. This is far and away the best the show got and worth checking out.

3.)Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.  Literally the ONLY treasure-hunting episode.  It suffers from the same problem as Phantom Train of Doom in that they combined two different episodes into one for the home-release and only the first "half" or so is good.  This story ties back into Temple of Doom in a couple of interesting ways.  

**Honorable mention to the Dracula episode, which is not a good episode of television, but is worth watching for the simple outlandishness of it all.  It's also the only Indy T.V. episode to deal with the occult. That's right, there was only one "treasure hunting" Indy episode and only one "occult" episode.  

There are no other episodes that have more than a few good moments. They actually had Harrison Ford return to do a cameo and not only is it for arguably the very worst episode of the entire series (Mystery of the Blues), Ford's cameo is poorly conceived and is capped off by an absolutely idiotic and unfunny denouement.

I watched this entire dreadful show so you don't have to.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 03-31-2020

(03-31-2020, 07:39 PM)chief zabu Wrote: Any complaints about racial issues could also be made against films such as "The Man Who Would be King"; recall the scene on the train with the despicable treatment by our 'heroes' of the innocent man with the watermelon?

I don't think anyone involved in making The Man Who Would Be King considered that film's protagonists to be good people. That scene is in there nice and early to establish what Peachy's baseline is. The Kipling character is immediately outraged.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-02-2020

Per this article, Jon Kasdan got asked on Twitter about the potential of a SOLO 2 and his relationship to INDY 5.  He tweeted back:

Quote:Don’t think anyone’s pursuing a Solo sequel at the moment @KenobiJj I think a feature, at this point, would be a tough sell & the D+ Star Wars slate is really…pretty packed, all shows I’m lookin forward to. My work on Indy is long over but I’m excited there’s forward movement!

This is three days ago, so even though Kasdan might not be the best source (one doesn't get the sense he's really part of the molten center of this production) for updates, it's at least a recent comment, and the first one we've heard since the pandemic hit. If we take Kasdan for somebody in the know, I guess "forward movement" means abandonment hasn't happened yet.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-02-2020

If he said “it’s at a dead stop” it probably would get more attention.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bluelouboyle - 04-03-2020

Postponed to July 2022.  No suprise.  I wonder if it'd released before Ford actually turns 80.

Edit:  August 29th?? So Ford will be 80. Any faith in this one Disney?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-03-2020

August 29th is a ridiculous date for an Indiana Jones film.