The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 04-03-2020

I was excited for this when it was first announced, but seriously I think it's just time to stick a fork in it.

If it actually comes out I hope Mangold does a complete re-write of the script.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-03-2020

I guess it depends on how much of a leash Spielberg will give Mangold in his supposed "hands-on producer" role. If we take Ford at his word they have a "very good script," and it took them an absurd number of years to reach that point. Whether Spielberg would let it get chucked depends on whether he bailed on this for script reasons versus feeling-too-old-for-this-shit* reasons or scheduling reasons (which might be mooted at this point?). All this assumes of course that the movie is still being designed as a Harrison Ford vehicle, otherwise an overhaul of the material is going to be necessary.

*Which makes him a total pussy if Richard Donner really is about to direct LETHAL WEAPON 5 at age 90.

EDIT: The new release date is July 29th, 2022 rather than August 29th, so you guys were right to look at that month sideways.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 04-03-2020

They gonna cancel this.

Mangold doing one with some 35 year old actor would be way more appealing. The only reason to bring back Ford is if they're gonna absolutely crush it, and July 29th at 80 years old directed by Mangold is not absolutely crushing it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-03-2020

Now now, he would only be 79 when they film it. Maybe even still 78.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mondguy - 04-03-2020

(02-25-2020, 01:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote: never

ever

happens

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-04-2020

Indiana Jones & the Plague of COVID-1.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-29-2020

Indiana Jones and the Decidedly Unamused FAA

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 04-29-2020

Aye, he acknowledged the mistake and apologized.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-29-2020

This is what...his 3rd or 4th aviation incident/error/crash in the last 15 or so years? Maybe you need to hang it up, Harrison.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Fafhrd - 04-29-2020

Didn't he cross over the wrong runway in Colorado a couple years back? With a similar immediate 'oh shit, sorry I fucked that up' call to ATC afterward?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mondguy - 04-29-2020

[attachment=5295]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - history buff - 05-02-2020

(04-29-2020, 01:35 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: This is what...his 3rd or 4th aviation incident/error/crash in the last 15 or so years?  Maybe you need to hang it up, Harrison.

This. I mean I fear that we're going to get the bad news one day that he didn't survive one of these incidences.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-25-2020

Frank Marshall speaks, says the writing process "just started." Okay...

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-update-script-james-mangold-frank-marshall/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 03:32 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Frank Marshall speaks, says the writing process "just started."  Okay...

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-update-script-james-mangold-frank-marshall/

(02-25-2020, 01:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote: never

ever

happens

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 05-25-2020

(02-26-2020, 08:34 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Ford will exit. That feels inevitable. And Disney will go the BOND route here.

Yep.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Reasor - 05-25-2020

I keep forgetting how many years ago The Crystal Skull was released. Assuming they keep a one-to-one passage of time, the son who won't be appearing has probably done multiple tours of duty in Vietnam.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 05-25-2020

I’ll never understand why they find it so cripplingly hard to write these.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 05-25-2020

Lots of different egos you have to satisfy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-25-2020

It's not easy to write a great script. Excellent movies just make it look easy.

I mean, my scripts are all great but it's because I'm really good.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 05-25-2020

I'm going to assume that they're hamstrung by not being able to use material that someone already wrote or they'd have to deal with lawsuits. There's a reason studios don't look at spec scripts anymore and it's got to be triply difficult with franchises.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-26-2020

I'm playing Uncharted 4 and... I'm ready for the Bond route. If they do it really really well, I'd much prefer Pratt(or whoever it is) over very old very tired Harrison.

Make Harrison the new Indiana Jones's Sully.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 05-26-2020

Said it before but at the end of the day this is an action adventure series about an archeologist racing against baddies to find famous mythological artefacts. They have a ready made template! No one's asking them to reinvent the wheel here.

Though I'll probably be eating my words in a few years when Ford and Spielberg and co are finally out of the picture and Indy's just another fully integrated part of the Disney sausage factory.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-26-2020

Ford mentioned their "very good script" when he was interviewed right before the departure of Spielberg and the arrival of COVID-19. It's possible they're starting from scratch with Mangold taking over, but those Marshall quotes aren't a whole lot to go on. I guess we'll see. Clearly, they have nothing but time when it comes to this project.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-26-2020

Nobody really wants to see ollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld Indy do they?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Reasor - 05-26-2020

As someone who believes that Zombie Jason is Best Jason, I am here for Mummy Indy. I hope a cloud of dust flies off his hands when he slaps somebody.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-26-2020

This is just me basically clinging to the Indy equivalent of the "old EU," but I've already had my old Indy!

[Image: 340?cb=20100728012056]

That being said, if you do recast young Indy, set it in the 1920s. Pick up where the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles left off (no you don't need to directly reference the show), and fill in the years up to 1935.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Evi - 05-26-2020

I don't at all want to see old Indiana Jones, but I don't particularly want him recast either. The films were so defined by that marriage of Spielberg/Ford and Lucas. To me that's much more difficult to recreate than the Bond films which were kind of random and all over the place even at the start.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-26-2020

I think a big key to the success of the films is the Nazis. They make for awesome bad guys, and Hitler being into the occult is a great hook. If they're gonna start over again, just keep these set in the 30s and keep using Nazis.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-26-2020

I mean, if Indy can only be set in the '30s and only fight Nazis, then he doesn't have the malleability of James Bond, whom you guys keep comparing him to.

Is Indy an archaeologist who gets into adventures and fights rivals and opponents? Or is he a Nazi fighter? 

There had to be a George Lazenby and an On Her Majesty's Secret Service to break the seal with Bond. If you want more Indy, there's gotta be a Lazenby.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Evi - 05-26-2020

It might not be Nazis but Indy is much more tied to an era than Bond. Can anyone imagine an Indy film that takes place now that also has the spirit of an Indy film?

Right, he's tied to the pulp era. Which is why I've never been down with an Indy movie set circa 1970, which just feels wrong.

But the pulp era spans decades. If you want limitless sequels, set the first movie in 1921.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-26-2020

You could pretty easily transition Indy from fighting occult-obsessed Nazis to racing weird-science obsessed Commies. Instead of magical biblical artifacts, you have things like the Antikythera mechanism or some ancient Greek perpetual motion machine or somesuch.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-26-2020

The pulp era is indeed ideal. The world of that time had been largely explored BUT there were still areas of wonder. The technology was good enough to get anyone anywhere in the world, but not without difficulty. Communications were good but not pervasive...having a cellphone does not fit Indy.

And again, you have Nazis as bad guys. Regardless of whatever Trump might say, Nazis are firmly in the 'bad guy' camp. There's no question there. The thing is, they were also well armed and fairly technologically advanced for the time, so having them be an enemy was not a trivial matter. The stakes are real. Having them there simply provides the perfect amount of conflict and tension. The Russians in the 50s don't provide the same dynamic.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-26-2020

The Soviets in CRYSTAL SKULL could have been excellent and formidable bad guys, but Spielberg didn't want to commit to really going there like he did with the Nazis. Don't muddy the waters with McCarthy/Red Scare commentary, just go for it.

As for the approach going forward, I can't deny that a big part of me wanted to see Ford and Spielberg give us one last adventure. Now that Spielberg's out of the directing chair, I can't muster much enthusiasm for either a last hurrah with Ford OR a recasting. The ideal way to transition should have been to do it GODFATHER PART II-style, with both Ford and his younger replacement taking part in a split-chronology story (and helmed by Spielberg). Ease us in. As it stands now, a completely new Indiana Jones without Spielberg directing would hold very little interest for me.

I do agree that, whatever they decide to do post-Ford, it should put the character back in the 1920s/1930s. It's just more fun to play with the designs/iconography/aesthetics.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-26-2020

Or, you know. Let the character be and tell some new stories, with new characters, that also happen to be set in the pulp era. It's not like there's some kind of dearth of source material.