The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 05-28-2020

That haunted castle stuff is out there in script form. It’s the Chris Columbus one. It’s only the first twenty pages or so, and it’s fun, but a bit more Duck Tales than Temple of Doom. I think he fights an enchanted suit of armor, shit like that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-28-2020

I LOVE TEMPLE OF DOOM

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 01:41 AM)Nooj Wrote: I LOVE TEMPLE OF DOOM

Everyone SHOULD.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 01:39 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: That haunted castle stuff is out there in script form. It’s the Chris Columbus one. It’s only the first twenty pages or so, and it’s fun, but a bit more Duck Tales than Temple of Doom. I think he fights an enchanted suit of armor, shit like that.

Yeah, I've read that draft. Some good stuff, but overall a bit too goofy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 05-28-2020

So, stuff that ended up in Young Sherlock Holmes?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-28-2020

Is the entire script out there anywhere?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-28-2020

A little bit of that vibe, but skewing slightly more comedic.

As it read to me at the time, anyway.

(05-28-2020, 01:54 AM)freeman Wrote: Is the entire script out there anywhere?

If you search for INDIANA JONES AND THE MONKEY KING, you'll probably find it.

I could have seen Indiana Jones possibly fighting a literal monkey king, with a little monkey king crown, with a giant Gorilla as his heavy and they made Crystal Skull instead?

(walks into the ocean)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 01:41 AM)Nooj Wrote: I LOVE TEMPLE OF DOOM
It's so batshit insane it could never be bad.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-28-2020

While I acknowledge RAIDERS is the best film of the series, TEMPLE OF DOOM is my very favorite.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 05-28-2020

I give TOD another shot every five years or so and it still leaves me cold.

Is the Monkey King script faithful to Chinese mythology? Indiana Jones and the Journey to the West has possibilities.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-28-2020

The genre tourist idea is certainly interesting. Again with a Bond comparison, it's like dropping him into a blaxploitation movie with Live and Let Die, or an '80s revenge movie with License to Kill, or a Hong Kong action movie with Tomorrow Never Dies.

But again, that's always been reliant on having a fresh-faced Bond to slot into the new age. If Indy 5 is set in 1970-1975 and you've got an 80-year-old Harrison Ford fighting the Vietnamese/going to the moon/living in a hippie commune/in a rivalry with a British spy/investigating the Wicker Man, what does that say about Indy as a character?

Because it's unavoidable that this, probably the last Ford Indy movie, doesn't end up capping the character off somehow. It's not just an ageless Indy on another adventure, it's Ford's last ride! So how do any of these scenarios complement Indy?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Mangy - 05-28-2020

I watched TEMPLE OF DOOM again just a few weeks ago...eh. The filmmaking is great, but Kate Capshaw is EXCRUCIATING.

She's delightful and you're just a grump!

Indy's last right or not, eventually this franchise moves past Ford and recasts. It is inevitable. It's part of the Disney machinery.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - shan - 05-28-2020

(05-27-2020, 11:53 PM)simbob Wrote: People like Temple of Doom.

Filmed in Sri Lanka! (at least the parts set in India)

My uncle's cousin was the former ambassador to France and a well known film director, her husband was probably the most famous Sri Lankan film director ever (they named the street after him). I used to go over to their house every time I was there to hang out.

A lot of their crew met Stephen Spielberg when he was filming. They could have but they had something better to do that day or something like that.

I would have said that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Evi - 05-28-2020

People are shit-talking TEMPLE OF DOOM? Dafuq??

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Mangy - 05-28-2020

I'm not shit-talking the filmmaking, but KATE! CAPSHAW! STINKS!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Munson - 05-28-2020

Mangy gets it Kapshaw is crazy awful. Spielberg was loving it I guess but yikes.

She's fun in a thankless archetype.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-28-2020

You could always go the Bond route and give Indy some kind of shadowy evil organization as a recurring antagonist. Not the Evil Order of Archaeologists, but something like the Illuminati, who want all these artifacts for their own purposes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Evi - 05-28-2020

She's lots of fun. Her little "grrrrr" when she gets turned down is hilarious.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Munson - 05-28-2020

Indyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Repeat 100 times

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-28-2020

Capshaw is great

(05-28-2020, 10:42 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: You could always go the Bond route and give Indy some kind of shadowy evil organization as a recurring antagonist. Not the Evil Order of Archaeologists, but something like the Illuminati, who want all these artifacts for their own purposes.

A reasonable world expanding idea.

Glad y'all like her performance! I think it's awful! Smile

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 10:42 AM)freeman Wrote: She's fun in a thankless archetype.
I don't know about "fun," but she is at least trying, I guess. She and Hayden Christiansen should bond over drinks about being stuck in/defined by roles that nobody could've made work.

(05-28-2020, 10:45 AM)Evi Wrote: She's lots of fun. Her little "grrrrr" when she gets turned down is hilarious.
But, in fairness, also this.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 05-28-2020

Goldie Hawn was making characters like that work for ten years at that point. Capshaw is grating, and anyone thinking otherwise has grown fond of it only through repetition.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-28-2020

The thing is, Willie doesn't matter. She's just there because an adventure movie in 1984 needs a lady.

The real love story is with Short Round.

Indy does like 'em young.

Yes yes, obligatory joke.

But considering Spielberg's daddy issues, you can easily read Temple of Doom as the struggle between a workaholic dad and his son.

It is Short Round who saves Indy from his brainwashing with a declaration of love.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 10:42 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: You could always go the Bond route and give Indy some kind of shadowy evil organization as a recurring antagonist.  Not the Evil Order of Archaeologists, but something like the Illuminati, who want all these artifacts for their own purposes.

You've already got that with the TOMB RAIDER movies.

(05-28-2020, 08:36 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: The genre tourist idea is certainly interesting. Again with a Bond comparison, it's like dropping him into a blaxploitation movie with Live and Let Die, or an '80s revenge movie with License to Kill, or a Hong Kong action movie with Tomorrow Never Dies.

But again, that's always been reliant on having a fresh-faced Bond to slot into the new age. If Indy 5 is set in 1970-1975 and you've got an 80-year-old Harrison Ford fighting the Vietnamese/going to the moon/living in a hippie commune/in a rivalry with a British spy/investigating the Wicker Man, what does that say about Indy as a character?

Because it's unavoidable that this, probably the last Ford Indy movie, doesn't end up capping the character off somehow. It's not just an ageless Indy on another adventure, it's Ford's last ride! So how do any of these scenarios complement Indy?

I'm leery about a narrative that would blatantly embrace the notion of it being Ford's last. I fear that would lead to some not-great storytelling impulses.

Play with Ford's age, sure, because it can't be avoided, but I believe that approaching this as anything other than "another adventure" would be a mistake. The best send-off for Ford's version of the character would be to simply deliver a fun, exciting adventure. I don't require any more weight than that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 12:01 AM)freeman Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 11:53 PM)simbob Wrote: People like Temple of Doom.

Oh I'm sorry, I guess I must have misremembered that entire life I've spent being told that Temple of Doom is "the bad one."

You mean 2010 - 2018, and just on movie forums?

(05-28-2020, 01:08 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 08:36 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: The genre tourist idea is certainly interesting. Again with a Bond comparison, it's like dropping him into a blaxploitation movie with Live and Let Die, or an '80s revenge movie with License to Kill, or a Hong Kong action movie with Tomorrow Never Dies.

I'm leery about a narrative that would blatantly embrace the notion of it being Ford's last.  I fear that would lead to some not-great storytelling impulses.

Play with Ford's age, sure, because it can't be avoided, but I believe that approaching this as anything other than "another adventure" would be a mistake.  The best send-off for Ford's version of the character would be to simply deliver a fun, exciting adventure.  I don't require any more weight than that.

Ford has reprised three of his classic characters (Indy, Han Solo and Deckard). All three of these movies contain lines about getting old:

"This ain't gonna be easy." "Not as easy as it used to be."
"You're Han Solo?" "I used to be."
"I had your job. I was good at it. It was simpler then."

I'm 99% certain there's no way you can do an Indy 5 without it being about age, mortality and regret.

Let me rephrase that:

YOU AND I could write an Indy movie that is not about getting old. Hollywood, however, will not.