The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-28-2020

Acknowledging his age and trying to have some fun with it would be perfectly fine.

Making that the thematic thrust of the movie, however, could end up kind of a bummer. I want to walk out of INDIANA JONES V feeling great, not bittersweet.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-28-2020

I'm of the unasked-for opinion that at this point, they're better off waiting until Ford passes. Moreso than even Connery in his signature role, Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones to the moviegoing public. Recasting while he's alive - or at the very least while he's still making films - will not work. (And by "will not work", I mean "earn critical kudos and make a billion dollars.")

If Ford were to retire and remove himself from the public eye (as Connery has done), that would likely clear the way for a reboot with a new actor.

But until then...I think it's a misguided idea that will only result in a mediocre (at best film) that will make money but won't be the barnburner everyone expects/wants.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 05-28-2020

They could just, you know, stop making them altogether.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-28-2020

I mean, yes, that's ideal.

But no way the Mouse leaves that money on the table.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Munson - 05-28-2020

If you don’t get that boomer money is this really that valuable as a franchise? Obvy if it looks good people will see it but I don’t really get a need for more Indiana from anyone under 30

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 03:55 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: They could just, you know, stop making them altogether.

This is my kind of fanfiction.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 03:55 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: They could just, you know, stop making them altogether.

[Image: 436lun.jpg]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-28-2020

It's just so funny, the corner that Disney has painted themselves into. Along with the other studios, they've become so determined to repackage old IPs rather than splitting the difference between reinventing the wheel AND generating new franchises, that they're now completely boxed into this 100% IP-driven marketplace, where audiences have no appetite for new stuff because that well has gone completely dry. But they can't go on forever with sequels, remakes and reboots because that well's *almost* completely dry.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 03:47 PM)MichaelM Wrote: If Ford were to retire and remove himself from the public eye (as Connery has done), that would likely clear the way for a reboot with a new actor.

I just realized, Ford is not only now much older than Connery was when he retired (73 in 2003), but he's now the same age as Connery was the year he turned down returning as Henry Jones in CRYSTAL SKULL. In a way, I think it's too bad he didn't come back for that one film, as underwhelming as it was, it would have been a better last film for him than LGX.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 05:50 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 03:47 PM)MichaelM Wrote: If Ford were to retire and remove himself from the public eye (as Connery has done), that would likely clear the way for a reboot with a new actor.

I just realized, Ford is not only now much older than Connery was when he retired (73 in 2003), but he's now the same age as Connery was the year he turned down returning as Henry Jones in CRYSTAL SKULL. In a way, I think it's too bad he didn't come back for that one film, as underwhelming as it was, it would have been a better last film for him than LGX.

Connery coming back just to do another shitty film would have sucked. It would've just been another footnote in the weird story of stuff he passed over which lead to LXG, only it'd end with him coming back only to make Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-14-2020

Nothing surprising, but Koepp confirms that he had done several iterations of the screenplay with Spielberg and departed when the director did so that Mangold could do his own take either alone or with a preferred writing partner. No indication of whether this is a page one rewrite or if Mangold would be retaining some of the material already developed -- probably because Koepp himself doesn't know.

https://collider.com/david-koepp-confirms-not-on-indiana-jones-5/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-14-2020

I suspect we're all the way back to square one. I just don't see this movie happening (with Ford) at this point if that's the case.

Like with James Bond, it should not be this hard to get a workable script in place.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-14-2020

and yet it is!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-14-2020

Too many people to appease!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-14-2020

I always wonder what it would be like if any of us (who have gone on endlessly about how much better our ideas are about these things) were actually in the position of being one of the many many cooks in these kitchens

hahahah we'd be terrible

except for BARRY

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 06:08 PM)Nooj Wrote: I always wonder what it would be like if any of us (who have gone on endlessly about how much better our ideas are about these things) were actually in the position of being one of the many many cooks in these kitchens

hahahah we'd be terrible

except for BARRY

I would be pretty great at it.

yes of course you would

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 06-14-2020

I have plenty of armchair screenwriter fantasies, and I still have no idea how to make a 78+ year old Indiana Jones work.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 06-14-2020

I'd be a stubborn sumbitch about it, so they'd probably fire me two weeks in.

(06-14-2020, 06:21 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I'd be a stubborn sumbitch about it, so they'd probably fire me two weeks in.

two weeks is generous!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 06-14-2020

Well, I'm assuming the first 10-12 days would be the usual legal paperwork bullshit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 06:20 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: I have plenty of armchair screenwriter fantasies, and I still have no idea how to make a 78+ year old Indiana Jones work.

Yeah, I always default to, "I'm glad I don't have that gig."

(06-14-2020, 06:29 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Well, I'm assuming the first 10-12 days would be the usual legal paperwork bullshit.

how exciting!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 06-14-2020

Mangold will eventually direct a reboot of Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-15-2020

(06-14-2020, 06:29 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Well, I'm assuming the first 10-12 days would be the usual legal paperwork bullshit.

I pretty much picture you as Ron Moore during his first few days into STAR TREK: VOYAGER before saying "fuck this".

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-15-2020

(06-14-2020, 09:13 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Mangold will eventually direct a reboot of Indy.

Recast with Antony Starr.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 06-15-2020

(06-14-2020, 06:20 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: I have plenty of armchair screenwriter fantasies, and I still have no idea how to make a 78+ year old Indiana Jones work.

Besides Indiana Jones & the Fountain of Youth (which Last Crusade KINDA touched on), I got nothing.

Just go the old school Bond route and be fast and loose with continuity. The route they're obviously headed towards anyway.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 06-15-2020

Well, the diabolical route would be to miscast the role and let the wrong Indy get lambasted, then cast one of the good fits we've discussed here. 

"The Lazenby Approach"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-15-2020

But Lazenby wasn't miscast!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 06-15-2020

Roger Moore was.

(runs away

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 06-15-2020

Don't make me destroy you.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 06-15-2020

I'm mostly just trolling. Moore is fine for the early part of his run. I simply don't care for the Very Silly Tone of the Moore era. (He also became way too old for the role, but whatever.)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 06-15-2020

I blame John Glen more than I blame Roger Moore, but that's for a different thread.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-15-2020

I can't put the blame on Glen, because his two best films -- FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS -- are fairly straight-ahead, relatively grounded spy yarns.

And LICENCE TO KILL is obviously quite hard-edged.

Glen's best effort was FYEO, his first film. It was all downhill from there with mismanagement of tone.

Another thread.