The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-17-2020

Not for lack of trying on his part.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 09-17-2020

When you're Harrison Ford, you get to keep flying your plane even when it's long evident that you're a danger to yourself and everything else in the sky.* I don't make the rules.

*Yes, birds too.**

**Kudos if you get that reference.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 04:19 PM)Misfit Wrote: When you're Harrison Ford, you get to keep flying your plane even when it's long evident that you're a danger to yourself and everything else in the sky.* I don't make the rules.

A thousand times this, and not as a joke, either.

His license should have been pulled and he should have had to re-qualify.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 09-18-2020

My idea for a woke Indiana Jones movie that would probably make most people happy, considering everyone seems hypercritical of the series these days.

Have Indy team up with a bunch of Indigenous people, who then fight British Colonialists. But do it Fury Road/Big Trouble in China style where Indy is more of a deuteragonist , so people don't complain about him being a white savior.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 09-18-2020

Honestly, that sounds pretty good. Set it in Australia.

But he’s Indy. He’d end up being a bit of a white savior.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-18-2020

So we progress from Nazis to Soviets... to the British?

With respect, no.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 04:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: So we progress from Nazis to Soviets... to the British?

With respect, no.

North Koreans?
North Vietnamese?
Khmer Rouge?
Hare Krishnas?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-18-2020

Evil. Cultists.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 04:26 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Evil.  Cultists.

Mormons!

In all seriousness, it's kinda too bad that the TOMB RAIDER franchise took the idea of the Illuminati as the bad guy. Maybe they need to invent some sort of SPECTRE type organization for Indy to fight..like the Masons.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 09-18-2020

Illuminati. Then you're not making one nation the bad guy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-18-2020

I think the Thuggees are underrated villains in part because they are not avatars for a nationality. I like the idea of Indy going up against another cult or a smaller group of evil foes.

In all the Indy movies, the fate of the world hangs in the balance on paper, but only in a distant and theoretical way. If the supernatural power falls into the enemy's hands, it could lead to world domination. But the real conflict is always at a more intimate level. It really is about beating the Nazis to the prize, or liberating the slaves, or rescuing Henry Sr. We don't need a "battle of nations" element, and if anything Indy being in his seventies should promote personal stakes even more than the other installments did.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 04:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: So we progress from Nazis to Soviets... to the British?

With respect, no.

They could go back to the Nazi well, but it just seems a little tired. I've already got my share of Nazi killing in the Last Crusade.

With the British being the bad guys, you can directly attack colonization, which is pretty timely. Having the indigenous people working alongside Indy would also be a good showcase for diversity and positive POC representation, which again is a big deal these days. 

Then the movie ends with Indy breaking into the British museum, giving away all the artifacts to their rightful owners, and turning to the camera to say "this doesn't belong in a museum."

Okay the last part is a joke, but I think this could be a good way of doing an Indy film for our modern times.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-18-2020

It would be kinda blackly funny to have Indy rescuing a bunch of abducted Aboriginal children played the same way as the freeing-the-slaves sequence in Temple, but most of the people I'd want to see get pissed off about it probably don't know enough about Australian history and would just be confused.

INDIANA JONES AND THE PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 09-18-2020

Evil British Cultists?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Pither - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 05:37 PM)Dent6084 Wrote:

Evil British Cultists?

Yes, please.

[Image: 1477d6cf3ee06f205cffe9c1a780866c43884fcc.gifv]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-18-2020

Hippies.

Or Republicans.

[Image: SpiffySereneCow-size_restricted.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-18-2020

The KKK.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-18-2020

Development Hell should be the bad guy!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - history buff - 09-19-2020

Or writers that felt they were wronged.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Fafhrd - 09-19-2020

(09-18-2020, 04:35 PM)mola ram Wrote:

With respect, no.

They could go back to the Nazi well, but it just seems a little tired. I've already got my share of Nazi killing in the Last Crusade.

Indiana Jones and the Boys From Brazil. Nazis hiding out in South America search for an ancient Incan artifact that will pull Hitler's soul from the afterlife and install it in a Hitler clone and in the process grant him immortality and/or release Supay, the Incan God of Death and an army of demons that will destroy the world.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 04:48 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: Indiana Jones and the Boys From Brazil. Nazis hiding out in South America search for an ancient Incan artifact that will pull Hitler's soul from the afterlife and install it in a Hitler clone and in the process grant him immortality and/or release Supay, the Incan God of Death and an army of demons that will destroy the world.

Throw in some Ancient Aliens and you've got a hat trick there.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 09-24-2020

Relevant to our recent discussion as to whether Indy needs to keep flying: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/movies/harrison-ford-cleared-faa.html

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-25-2020

If Ford is going to be permitted to recklessly endanger himself and others in real life, can't we at least have the camera running? Why am I watching him being "precariously" pushed over a nonexistent cliff in pixel Peru when he's crashing actual planes between takes?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-25-2020

Reboot it. New Indiana.

It's going to happen eventually no matter what. Get Hemsworth in that hat instead of shitty MiB movies.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-25-2020

(09-25-2020, 08:41 AM)freeman Wrote: Reboot it.  New Indiana.

It's going to happen eventually no matter what.

Which to me is an argument for letting Ford have his finale if he is up for it, which he makes quite clear he is.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-25-2020

(09-25-2020, 09:21 AM)fatherdude Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:41 AM)freeman Wrote: Reboot it.  New Indiana.

It's going to happen eventually no matter what.

Which to me is an argument for letting Ford have his finale if he is up for it, which he makes quite clear he is.

I'm fine with that. I like the idea of Indy going out better than Crystal Skull. But he already is way too old for this power fantasy. If it's not sad to see time ravage our young handsome charismatic childhood hero, it will be.

There is probably room to argue whether Indy ever represented a "power fantasy," but there is no way INDY 5 starring Harrison Ford will be that, unless it is written by a literal lunatic.

It's absolutely a power fantasy for men. He's a wild handsome adventuring tomb raider who gets the gorgeous girls, beats up Nazis and has a cool iconic look. If it wasn't a power fantasy then you could take away the hat the whip and the jacket and just watch Indiana Jones the character. But nobody wants that. We want the adventure fantasy.

Handsome adventurers who get the girl and punch Nazis and dive through traps are not supposed to be 70.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-25-2020

I’d be way more into Ford getting another finale if Spielberg was still directing.

No thank you James Mangold!

(09-25-2020, 10:25 AM)freeman Wrote: It's absolutely a power fantasy for men.  He's a wild handsome adventuring tomb raider who gets the gorgeous girls, beats up Nazis and has a cool iconic look.  If it wasn't a power fantasy then you could take away the hat the whip and the jacket and just watch Indiana Jones the character.  But nobody wants that.  We want the adventure fantasy.

Okay but "adventure fantasy" can come in a lot of different forms, and I think it is implicit that what it meant for a character in his thirties isn't going to be the same for a character in his seventies. But to me the essential appeal of Indy is his perserverence, and that doesn't have to get lost just because he can no longer take on German mechanics built like tanks. In fact, he couldn't take them on in his prime, either, hence the propeller.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-25-2020

And I know this isn't what you meant but by the climax of Raiders, Indy has indeed lost his whip, jacket, and hat.

(09-25-2020, 10:44 AM)fatherdude Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 10:25 AM)freeman Wrote: It's absolutely a power fantasy for men.  He's a wild handsome adventuring tomb raider who gets the gorgeous girls, beats up Nazis and has a cool iconic look.  If it wasn't a power fantasy then you could take away the hat the whip and the jacket and just watch Indiana Jones the character.  But nobody wants that.  We want the adventure fantasy.

Okay but "adventure fantasy" can come in a lot of different forms, and I think it is implicit that what it meant for a character in his thirties isn't going to be the same for a character in his seventies. But to me the essential appeal of Indy is his perserverence, and that doesn't have to get lost just because he can no longer take on German mechanics built like tanks. In fact, he couldn't take them on in his prime, either, hence the propeller.

Do I have to remind you of when Indy was supposed to be around 65 and he won a fist fight with a giant Russian guy not through wisdom or wit or even luck, but by literally winning the punching contest? It's not just that older Indy is lamer to see, but he's also falling through glass and landing on the ground 20 feet down on his fucking spine and getting up with no issues at all. The stuff Crystal Skull Indy goes through would CRIPPLE Raiders Indy.

It's Die Hard all over again. "Older hero" plus "significantly more ego and less vulnerability" = Lame AF.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 09-25-2020

I'd almost like to see a Godfather Part II style Indy film where we have Ford's Indy on his last adventure and whoever is taking his place on a parallel adventure from his younger days. The only worry would be that Ford's presence would overshadow whoever was taking over the role.

(09-25-2020, 11:01 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'd almost like to see a Godfather Part II style Indy film where we have Ford's Indy on his last adventure and whoever is taking his place on a parallel adventure from his younger days. The only worry would be that Ford's presence would overshadow whoever was taking over the role.

A fun idea! Done well it would be wonderful and emotional! Like a Godfather 2 version of saying goodbye to Nathan Drake.