The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 05:26 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I like Pratt, but I would not buy him as a college professor in the 1930s.

Freshly shaven, wearing a shirt and tie, tidy hair and with those academic glasses perched on his nose?  He is an actor after all.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-28-2020

Nope, not even then. I could buy him as the smart-aleck student in Young Frankenstein, say, but a teacher? No way.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-28-2020

"man-child in arrested development" is so baked into pratt's on-screen persona that he would need to be insanely good to be able to break out of it to play someone who would be believable as a 1930s college professor as established by Ford's on-screen persona

that's two different fronts that a Pratt performance would be up against

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-28-2020

Before Indiana Jones you guys wouldn't have bought Han Solo as a college professor either.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-28-2020

yeah, but that was in a time where we didn't have decades of baggage about the character and the actor (although his small parts in APOCALYPSE NOW and THE CONVERSATION indicate that he didn't have to be Han Solo)

there are actors who have definitely shattered my expectations of their established on-screen persona. John Hawkes in WINTER'S BONE is an example of that. Not saying Chris Pratt doesn't have it in him... but I don't see it being likely.

now... before INDY came along, I don't know what the popular perception of a 1930s archaeology professor was. My assumption is that it would NOT be Harrison Ford in glasses and tweed. So I'd argue that the question of "can Harrison Ford play a college professor?" before INDY came out wasn't even a question to be asked since the primary image was that of an adventurer in a fedora.

But for anyone who people are fancasting in the role that Ford established, both aspects of the character are definitely something to be considered.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 08:17 PM)freeman Wrote: Before Indiana Jones you guys wouldn't have bought Han Solo as a college professor either.
And if, in some universe, Pratt were to prove himself to have genuine range the way Ford did in the early '80s, I'd be quite happy to eat crow. But from what I have seen? Not buying it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-28-2020

I would bet money that Pratt has a good Jones performance in him somewhere. It's not like for the Jurassic World movies he's working with a great talented director of actors who crafts a wonderful character. He's generic McBeefCake. Yet in Guardians he's wonderful. Is that because Pratt is not capable of doing a manly man character or because the only truly talented actors director he worked with was on Guardians?

Even incredible actors suffered on the prequels after all.

It can be both, and I think it's both.

And that doesn't surprise me at all. This board and the Discord is riddled with a serious lack of imagination and vision.

If by that you mean "not everybody agrees with your opinions."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-28-2020

If he gets the gig, I’ll be highly skeptical but curious to see what he does.

That said, I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a pretty good job of playing Solo, so taking over from
Ford isn’t a big issue as far as I’m concerned. It’s just a matter of finding an actor that can play the role in a way that evokes what Ford did while making it his own.

That’s not what Anthony Ingruber can do.

I don't see GUARDIANS and see Pratt as a manly man character.

He's a scared child performing being a manly man. That's a key difference. He's good at doing that for sure. Like an extrapolation of his persona from PARKS & REC in a fantasy action/adventure setting.

When Craig was announced as Bond, I was into it. When Ledger was cast as Joker, I was into it. Both castings were met with intense skepticism. I don't see this as a matter of a lack of imagination and vision.

James Gunn had the imagination and vision to use Pratt's natural onscreen persona in the right way. It reminds me of how PT Anderson used Adam Sandler's established on-screen persona with a different approach for PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE.

Simply saying "cast Pratt as Indy!" is the opposite of vision. It's just a photoshopped image of Pratt in Indy's iconography.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-28-2020

Agree with Ovie that Anthony Starr would've been great. But he's 45 now. Chris Pine has portrayed some great world weary characters (I Am the Night, Outlaw King), fun characters (I stand by his Kirk from parts 1 and 3) as well as can get a nice hangdog expression about him when needed, and finally can pull off the rogueish thing too. But he's 40 now, he may be able to squeak by. Though not at the timeline this franchise has been moving at.

I never said that Gaurdians was him being a manly man, I'm saying you guys don't have the vision to see him firing on all cylinders as anything but that. Which is true. And not just my opinion.

you think Pratt is saving his best and manliest stuff for later or something?

what's all this 'firing on all cylinders' stuff?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-28-2020

Pratt's a manchild. No imagination is required.

WE FOOLS HAVE YET TO SEE PRATT'S FINAL FORM!!!!

[Image: this-isnt-even-my-final-form-bin-trash-can.jpg]

Just wait, five years from now Indy will be Chalamet or Holland.

(09-28-2020, 08:42 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Just wait, five years from now Indy will be Chalamet or Holland.

olord will love that!

Like I said, a good director who has a strong vision who can help Pratt bring out all of is most "Indiana Jones" qualities in the way that Gunn brought out his best "little boy who thinks he's Han Solo" qualities.

All the factors at play working correctly towards creating the exact right performance that doesn't feel like imitation of Ford but captures all of the "Indiana Jones" ness of the character. The incredibly unlikely possibility of doing a good job with a reboot of the famous and beloved character.

Er, nah.

if the world/tone of a new INDIANA JONES movie were heavily tailored to Pratt's strengths and persona as an established movie star, I'm sure he'd be fine (similar to SOLO being more tailored for Ehrenreich's and Young Han's place in the movie)

But I'm just talking about Pratt being slotted into Ford's shoes going off the fact that we have NOTHING else to base it on.

Some say that Jones will end as Pine,
Some say as Pratt.
From what I've sampled of his whine,
I held with those who spurnèd Pine.
But if the franchise failed twice,
I think I know enough of it
To say that for their Indy Pratt
Is also shit
And would fall flat.

(09-28-2020, 08:47 PM)Nooj Wrote: if the world/tone of a new INDIANA JONES movie were heavily tailored to Pratt's strengths and persona as an established movie star, I'm sure he'd be fine (similar to SOLO being more tailored for Ehrenreich's and Young Han's place in the movie)

But I'm just talking about Pratt being slotted into Ford's shoes going off the fact that we have NOTHING else to base it on.

That's why I've always said Hemsworth. A manly man who can pull off the rugged and handsome outdoor adventurer thing. He can convey enough intelligence to be plausiable as a teacher. He can kick ass good and he's naturally extremely funny. Of the known obvious choices I'd rather see him as a good Indiana Jones in great exciting Indy movies than "MiB" sequels...

then what's with the Pratt support?

you've actually convinced me of Hemsworth before. As I said back then, I think the only thing about Hemsworth I trip up on is that he always reads as generic Brit to me (I know he's Australian), even when he's trying to play Americans (in stuff like Red Dawn and RUSH). Never quite convincing, similar to Ewan McGregor playing Americans.

I'm sure general audiences wouldn't care, but it would be a notable speed-bump for me in terms of Indy's 1930s AMERICA-ness.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-28-2020

I'm trying to imagine Pratt delivering the big exposition scene about the Ark early on in RAIDERS, and just can't see it.

I'm not saying it would be impossible for him to be a solid Indiana Jones, but I am saying that I've yet to see anything from him to suggest he'd be credible talking about mythology and ancient cultures.

I’d be more interested in John Hawkes as Indy hehehe

(09-28-2020, 09:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: then what's with the Pratt support?

you've actually convinced me of Hemsworth before.  As I said back then, I think the only thing about Hemsworth I trip up on is that he always reads as generic Brit to me (I know he's Australian), even when he's trying to play Americans (in stuff like Red Dawn and RUSH).  Never quite convincing, similar to Ewan McGregor playing Americans.

I'm sure general audiences wouldn't care, but it would be a notable speed-bump for me in terms of Indy's 1930s AMERICA-ness.

Because for whatever reason, I get frustrated when people brush someone off like they know for a fact it would not work because I saw him as Starlord one time in a film.  You DON'T know.  You've seen Pratt purposefully play a man child dummy in a TV show, a man child action hero, and a generic beef cake stock character in bad movies.  Is Emilia Clarke incapable of playing the very dour bore Daenerys Targaryen because her energy and charisma as a person is naturally bubbly and silly?  To quote one of the greats "Have you tried, ACTING, my boy?"

[Image: chris-pratt-as-indiana-jones-530x862.jpg]

I bristle at confident dismissals of something we can't possibly know he is or is not capable of doing well because it seems awfully short-sighted as an opinion.

(09-28-2020, 09:07 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'm trying to imagine Pratt delivering the big exposition scene about the Ark early on in RAIDERS, and just can't see it.

I'm not saying it would be impossible for him to be a solid Indiana Jones, but I am saying that I've yet to see anything from him to suggest he'd be credible talking about mythology and ancient cultures.

And that's fine! I accept this.

but I didn't see starlord one time in a film

I'm basing Pratt's strengths and weaknesses upon seeing him in years of PARKS & REC, WANTED, GUARDIANS 1 and 2, INFINITY WAR, ENDGAME, MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, JURASSIC WORLD 1 and 2, HER, PASSENGERS, LEGO MOVIE 1 and 2, ZERO DARK THIRTY, MONEYBALL, and some other stuff

I 'bristle' at the confident belief that he's perfect for the role because someone photoshopped is face onto Indy's body... similar to the way I bristle at the mention of Ingruber in any of Ford's iconic roles simply because he happens to look like the guy.

of course I don't KNOW for a fact that Pratt doesn't have it in him to be a good Indiana Jones... the same way you don't KNOW he'd be a good one. But given what I've seen throughout his filmography, I don't see him being the 'right' replacement for Indy as Ford established him. And I've already gone into the very specific alchemy of Ford's qualities that make Indy a very difficult character to recast.

Emilia Clarke is not a good example to bring up here, since she became famous/established via her ThroneGames character which gave her enough fame to have a platform to delight the public with her facial expressions. She was generally unknown before then.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 08:38 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Agree with Ovie that Anthony Starr would've been great.  But he's 45 now. 

First, he may be 45, but he can pass for late 30s. Wasn't Ford 46/47 when Last Crusade came out?

Secondly, I would prefer that the next movie be set post Last Crusade ... maybe with WW2 (or post WW2) as a backdrop.  Indy by that point would be in his early or mid 40s.

And, finally, I didn't say I want him to play Indy for the next 20 years.  Just make a few great films back to back and consider options.

**None of this matters cause the franchise is fucked to hell and back due to the dithering of the powers-that-be.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-28-2020

It's not even that Pratt is too boyish or childish to be Indy for me, he can do chiseled action star in a believable way, I just don't think he's a good enough all around actor.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 09:46 PM)atomtastic Wrote: It's not even that Pratt is too boyish or childish to be Indy for me, he can do chiseled action star in a believable way, I just don't think he's a good enough all around actor.

[Image: chris-pratt-as-indiana-jones-530x862.jpg]

(09-28-2020, 09:40 PM)Nooj Wrote: but I didn't see starlord one time in a film

I'm basing Pratt's strengths and weaknesses upon seeing him in years of PARKS & REC, WANTED, GUARDIANS 1 and 2, INFINITY WAR, ENDGAME, MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, JURASSIC WORLD 1 and 2, HER, PASSENGERS, LEGO MOVIE 1 and 2, ZERO DARK THIRTY, MONEYBALL, and some other stuff

I 'bristle' at the confident belief that he's perfect for the role because someone photoshopped is face onto Indy's body... similar to the way I bristle at the mention of Ingruber in any of Ford's iconic roles simply because he happens to look like the guy.

of course I don't KNOW for a fact that Pratt doesn't have it in him to be a good Indiana Jones... the same way you don't KNOW he'd be a good one. But given what I've seen throughout his filmography, I don't see him being the 'right' replacement for Indy as Ford established him. And I've already gone into the very specific alchemy of Ford's qualities that make Indy a very difficult character to recast.

Emilia Clarke is not a good example to bring up here, since she became famous/established via her ThroneGames character which gave her enough fame to have a platform to delight the public with her facial expressions. She was generally unknown before then.

To be clear, I posted the picture to explain why he's such a popular choice by fans recasting. He looks the part quite well.

I'm convinced!

[Image: indianapratt.jpg]

[Image: ad_158130405.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&cr...om=1&ssl=1]
[Image: 57e79ba58be7ce5254df9b6ba381631b.jpg]

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAA

[Image: indiana_jones_cast_by_onnzila_d8fy65t-fu...DBbmA4eFVo]

The opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy and the scene where Starlord rampages about to get his walkman back is when I became confident that Pratt could pull off Indy.

Would it be just like Ford? No. I actually think Antony Starr would give a performance much more similar to Ford's Indy.

**Time has passed him by, and I'm not sure if he could pass for 6 foot plus, but Toby Stephens might have been a good choice once upon a time.

I like that Nooj specifically didn't include one of Starr ....