The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-28-2020

affleck indy affleck indy

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-28-2020

time has likely passed Bradley Cooper by as well, but I think he could've pulled it off

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-28-2020

Looking the part isn't everything.

But if Chris Pratt can alter the character of Indy in a way that makes it his own like Roger Moore altered James Bond, sure, it could probably work. Play him in a way you can't imagine Ford doing but still feels somewhat character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 10:10 PM)Nooj Wrote: time has likely passed Bradley Cooper by as well, but I think he could've pulled it off

Maybe.  I'm actually struggling to think of Cooper ever having done anything with an "edge."

(09-28-2020, 10:11 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Looking the part isn't everything.

Let's be fair:  it's like 50-80%.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 10:11 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 10:10 PM)Nooj Wrote: time has likely passed Bradley Cooper by as well, but I think he could've pulled it off

Maybe.  I'm actually struggling to think of Cooper ever having done anything with an "edge."
depends on what you mean by EDGE
but he's definitely got some range in his filmography in terms of the characters he's played
he's done blockbuster stuff like A-TEAM to prestige dramas like A STAR IS BORN
And I'm not even a particular fan of the guy.  But I think he could've done it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-28-2020

I haven't seen A-Team, but he has a wide range as an actor.

Where's my Starr mock-up as Indy! C'mon nooj ...

sure I can try that out for you. stay tuned

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mcirish - 09-28-2020

I’m sure it’s been fancasted before, probably in this thread, but I’m surprised a how much I love the idea of Chris Evans. I realize my limited imagination is showing( No it’s the other, other, OTHER Chris).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-28-2020

I could probably accept Evans.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 09-29-2020

I've always wanted to see them recast a famous role with someone spectacularly wrong, but they just act like nothing's changed. Let's get Mark Boone jr in there, or Chazz Palminteri. Outside the box.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 10:21 PM)Overlord Wrote: Where's my Starr mock-up as Indy!  C'mon nooj ...

[attachment=6638]

[attachment=6639]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-29-2020

Ha haaaa the second one is fantastic.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-29-2020

[attachment=6640]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-29-2020

Try some of his angry face shots from Banshee.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 01:00 AM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Try some of his angry face shots from Banshee.

I appreciate the efforts from nooj, but I'm not sure all of his photo choices reflected a genuine desire to deepfake Starr into the role.

how dare you!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-29-2020

He looks like Bryan Cranston in the last photo... which pretty much made me realize Cranston would have made a good Indy in the 90s if the series continued on like James Bond without Ford.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-29-2020

Nooj where the F is my Chris Hemsworth Indy pic? I've done the hard work of convincing you he's the right choice, there ought to be a pic!

You know. That we can show the studio during our PITCH. That's an industry insider term, Brad wouldn't know it.

you figure it out!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-29-2020

I'm ASKING NICELY! You FUCKER!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jhp1608 - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 04:57 PM)Overlord DVD says Wrote: Antony Starr first choice...

Too short.

(09-28-2020, 08:17 PM)freeman Wrote: Before Indiana Jones you guys wouldn't have bought Han Solo as a college professor either.

What Nooj said. Conversation and Apocalypse Now say different, and he was hardly playing unintelligent in Star Wars. Pratt plays man-child or meathead. That's it.

(09-28-2020, 09:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: then what's with the Pratt support?

you've actually convinced me of Hemsworth before.  As I said back then, I think the only thing about Hemsworth I trip up on is that he always reads as generic Brit to me (I know he's Australian), even when he's trying to play Americans (in stuff like Red Dawn and RUSH).  Never quite convincing, similar to Ewan McGregor playing Americans.

I'm sure general audiences wouldn't care, but it would be a notable speed-bump for me in terms of Indy's 1930s AMERICA-ness.

Whaaat??

Also his British accent sounds as dodgy as I imagine most British actors trying to speak 'merican sound to the natives.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 04:21 AM)jhp1608 Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:57 PM)Overlord DVD says Wrote: Antony Starr first choice...

Too short.

I was worried about that, but he "acts taller" than his likely height of around 5'10".
But, I like that you've circled us back to an all-too-often forgotten priority.

Hemsworth as Jones. This is the way forward brothers.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-29-2020

Nobody over age 25 is going to get this gig.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jhp1608 - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 04:44 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 04:21 AM)jhp1608 Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:57 PM)Overlord DVD says Wrote: Antony Starr first choice...

Too short.

I was worried about that, but he "acts taller" than his likely height of around 5'10".
But, I like that you've circled us back to an all-too-often forgotten priority.

If you cast a man.

(09-29-2020, 05:15 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Nobody over age 25 is going to get this gig.

Indiana Jones in his early to mid 20's is so wrong I don't know where to begin. Indiana Jones is not a baby face. It's part of why Tom Holland is too young for Nathan Drake.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - muzman - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 10:19 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 10:11 PM)Overlord Wrote:

depends on what you mean by EDGE
but he's definitely got some range in his filmography in terms of the characters he's played
he's done blockbuster stuff like A-TEAM to prestige dramas like A STAR IS BORN
And I'm not even a particular fan of the guy.  But I think he could've done it.

Reminds me of when people tried to swap Tom Selleck in there back in the day.
He could be good at that sort of role, but different kind of presence over all I'd say.
Cooper is a similar sort to my mind.

All this here and the casting of Solo really does point out that ol' Harry Ford is a bit of a unicorn (arf!). Just the right mixture of pathos, manliness, cool and humour.
There's plenty of decent leading men listed, but none of them quite the same balance. (I'd like to see Evans give it a try though. His Stari-ness has overwhelmed the fact that he's a really good character actor with a lot of range. So just seeing him try it would probably be surprising)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - first class 782 - 09-29-2020

Trying to recreate Harrison Ford with today's crop of bankable actors is nearly impossible. Muzman's traits are correct, and I'd recommend adding a degree of vulnerability to it. I'd also postulate his cool is really unique...it's an inclusive, conspiratorial cool, because Ford can be nerdy, he can be needy, but it never diminishes him. He's never really smug, unless he's about to be the butt of a joke.

One last challenge, when he wanted, Ford was fucking beautifully masculine. And again, not in an overwhelming or threatening way. When KotCS came out (and was blergh), my family rewatched the original films for the first time in a while. I was struck by his performance in Temple of Doom (which may be his best IJ performance). He was at the height of his powers (and looks) there. All of these listed actors have bits and pieces (and several are better actors), but none put it together like he was able to.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 09-29-2020

Exactly. Hollywood's been trying to give us a new Harrison Ford since RAIDERS and they haven't been able to do it. The guy is lightning in a bottle. Stoned, cranky, lightning in a bottle who for several years stopped giving a damn, but woke back up and was the best part of a failed Indy entry. That's why I'm not interested in recasting while he's still walking the earth. If he wants to do it again and they actually roll cameras, then I want to see it.

You can't recapture Harrison Ford, but I think you CAN recapture Indiana Jones without him and without just doing a bad impression of him.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 09-29-2020

Maybe? It's a completely different situation from Bond, though. This isn't recasting seven years in. One guy has owned the role for 40 years and he's made it pretty clear that it's his until he says otherwise, even if he's halfway joking.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - barry woodward - 09-29-2020

If you're going to go a different way with the character, fine, but then Harrison Ford as "Bookends Indy" isn't the play.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-29-2020

I have suspicions about how much ownership Ford feels over the fifth movie. He seems to be the main instigator. Lucas has been throughly uninvolved with the project beyond whatever puttering he did in the years immediately following CRYSTAL SKULL, and now Spielberg has bailed as well. But Ford, presumably, remains attached. Earlier this year he was lauding Marvel and insinuating that a new Indy movie should be using that brand as a reference point, and the new director is someone with a history both with Marvel and the movie's star. Is it possible Ford is driving the show here more than in previous entries? He seems to have been on a kick these last few years with sending off all his iconic characters, and Indy is clearly the one most important to him.

I don't know how much power Ford could realistically wield over a Disney tentpole, but he's the last man standing here, and the party who seems the most motivated to make this project happen. Wasn't the rumor that he attempted to make INDY 5 a pre-requisite for signing onto THE FORCE AWAKENS? After CRYSTAL SKULL, you can almost imagine Ford saying that it is his turn to steer the creative development of a proper finale for the character after it was left to Spielberg/Lucas last time, to disappointing results.

(09-29-2020, 09:38 AM)freeman Wrote: You can't recapture Harrison Ford, but I think you CAN recapture Indiana Jones without him and without just doing a bad impression of him.

I mean, that’s what I thought Ehrenreich did well with 

But clearly, a lot of people don’t agree

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 10:02 AM)fatherdude Wrote: After CRYSTAL SKULL, you can almost imagine Ford saying that it is his turn to steer the creative development of a proper finale for the character after it was left to Spielberg/Lucas last time, to disappointing results.

I don't know about "steering" creative development, but he's certainly the only person with the Indiana Jones Veto Power left to please. I suspect whatever Mangold's take is, it was tailored to be something Ford was interested in.