The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 10:38 AM)Nooj Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 09:38 AM)freeman Wrote: You can't recapture Harrison Ford, but I think you CAN recapture Indiana Jones without him and without just doing a bad impression of him.

I mean, that’s what I thought Ehrenreich did well with 

But clearly, a lot of people don’t agree

Ehrenreich did do well, he was just lost in a bad and irrelevant film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-29-2020

He did well as an actor playing a character, but when you're taking over for Harrison, that's not enough.  You have to be a MOVIE STAR.

Like Hemsworth!  Like Chris Pine. Ehrenreich is a character actor.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-29-2020

Harrison Ford missed a whole career of creepy character performances if The Conversation or Apocalypse Now are anything to go on.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 09-29-2020

Too charismatic for his own good!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 08:54 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Harrison Ford missed a whole career of creepy character performances if The Conversation or Apocalypse Now are anything to go on.

At least we got The Mosquito Coast. And ALL of you saw it. Right?

Add Presumed Innocent, and What Lies Beneath, I guess.

(I never saw What Lies Beneath)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-29-2020

Still can't get over Scorsese offered him Cape Fear and Ford saying he'd only do it if he can play Max Caddy and De Niro would play Bowden.

What a movie that would have been.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 09-30-2020

Funnily he was offered Jack Ryan for THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER but he wanted the Connery role instead because he thought it was more interesting.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-30-2020

I kinda wanna watch that, actually.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 09-30-2020

I still haven't seen K-19: The Widowmaker.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-30-2020

(09-30-2020, 01:00 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Funnily he was offered Jack Ryan for THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER but he wanted the Connery role instead because he thought it was more interesting.

Knowing Ford he actually just wanted the Connery role because it all takes place in a few rooms.  Much easier shoot.

(09-29-2020, 05:15 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Nobody over age 25 is going to get this gig.

Ha!  I hope the "Young Indy" nonsense is out of their collective systems.

Resetting Indy in a feature film at 25 would be like casting some little twerp as Nathan Drake in ... an ... Uncharted .... oh fuck.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 09-30-2020

Heheheh your very favorite!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 10-01-2020

Kyle Chandler’s too old, let’s go James Wolk.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 10-02-2020

(10-01-2020, 05:17 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Kyle Chandler’s too old, let’s go James Wolk.

The last thing Hollywood needs is to get more Wolk. Lucasfilm going Wolk will lead to them going broke.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Pither - 10-02-2020

(10-01-2020, 05:17 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Kyle Chandler’s too old, let’s go James Wolk.

"Hi, Marion. How's things?"

"Not great, Indy!"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 10-21-2020

Nothing new, but Mangold's DP confirms that Indiana Jones 5 is their next project.
https://collider.com/phedon-papamichael-interview-trial-of-the-chicago-7-aaron-sorkin/

Still think this is a bad idea, but we'll see.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 10-21-2020

never

ever

ever

happens

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 10-21-2020

Phedon Papamichael? The guy who shot "Sideways??"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - chief zabu - 10-21-2020

Not surprised at this. With a few exceptions, Papamichael's been Mangold's go-to cinematographer for almost 20 years.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 10-21-2020

FORD V FERRARI looked really nice

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 10-21-2020

Superb practical vehicle action too.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 10-21-2020

Much better than Janusz!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 10-21-2020

It is pitiful how exciting a confirmation it is that Mangold will be using his own DP.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 10-21-2020

I checked for Harrison Ford news yesterday to see if there was any update on this (kiss my ass, I was bored) and he just signed up for a shipwreck comedy with Ed Helms to play a grizzled sea captain. Wonder which one films first.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 10-21-2020

He's also attached to a miniseries (THE STAIRCASE) that was announced a year ago and never started shooting. If we are supposed to believe INDY 5 is really happening with Harrison Ford in the lead, it has to be shooting next summer. Has to.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - first class 782 - 10-21-2020

(10-21-2020, 03:03 PM)Misfit Wrote: I checked for Harrison Ford news yesterday to see if there was any update on this (kiss my ass, I was bored) and he just signed up for a shipwreck comedy with Ed Helms to play a grizzled sea captain. Wonder which one films first.

Maybe that's Indy 5, and Helms is playing his nephew.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 11-17-2020

DisInsider, whoever they are, says that Disney has booked Pinewood Studios for INDY 5 for an August 2021 production start. Keep eating fish and vegetables, Harry.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 11-17-2020

https://filmfreedonia.com/2020/11/15/indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-2008/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 11-17-2020

That's an excellent piece of writing... though I disagree with almost all of the praise he hands to the movie.  I think he's giving it way too much credit, and he excuses too many flaws.  I do agree that Spalko's a pretty good villain, with Blanchett acquitting herself very well.

And the jungle chase, while (mostly) staged solidly by Spielberg, is utterly knee-capped by the ugly, garish lighting and layer of CGI smeared over much of it.  The campus chase earlier in the film is superior, because it looks like it was entirely shot for real, and any digital augmentation there might be is imperceptible; the gag of Indy being pulled off the motorcycle and into a car, where he fights with goons before punching his way out and back onto the bike, is one of the few moments in the film where I said to myself, "Okay, now this is Indiana Jones," when I saw it for the first time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 11:24 AM)fatherdude Wrote: DisInsider, whoever they are, says that Disney has booked Pinewood Studios for INDY 5 for an August 2021 production start. Keep eating fish and vegetables, Harry.

They better be fucking de-aging Harrison Ford digitally, that's all I have to say about this endeavor.  That or it's a hand-off movie, which seems unlikely.

The de-aging tech from everything other than The Irishman has really impressed me, so if they got that route I will be fairly enthused.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 11-17-2020

I was about to say that a start date eleven months ahead of the release date would seem to discount a CGI-heavy post-production, but then I remembered how CGI-heavy the last movie was.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 08:28 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I was about to say that a start date eleven months ahead of the release date would seem to discount a CGI-heavy post-production, but then I remembered how CGI-heavy the last movie was.

But Mangold may have other things in mind rather thana CGI fest? Maybe? Logan was a movie that you would think would be that movie but did NOT look like a bunch of 1s and 0s flying around everywhere. It looked pretty light on that sort of thing save for a couple scenes. And the cinematography is just about right..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-17-2020

He also did THE WOLVERINE which had considerable CGI. Nothing awful, certainly leagues above the kind of f/x seen in ORIGINS.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 08:46 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: He also did THE WOLVERINE which had considerable CGI. Nothing awful, certainly leagues above the kind of f/x seen in ORIGINS.
Because of course Mangold would want to make his Indiana Jones movie simultaneously more like the lesser of the Indiana Jones films and the lesser of his Wolverine films..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-17-2020

I actually think both his Wolverine films are equal in quality.

(11-17-2020, 09:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I actually think both his Wolverine films are equal in quality.

That actually doesn't matter.

Because I practically feel the same way, just the opposite (I'm assuming). I think they're both great.

But I was referring to which one was unquestionably more critically lauded. It got great reviews and audiences loved it as well so, I guess I'm thinking that Mangold would naturally try to go for what was more well received..