The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-17-2020

Sure, but he's working for Disney, so if they push him towards a more f/x driven adventure, at least Mangold can handle it better than others.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 08:36 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:28 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I was about to say that a start date eleven months ahead of the release date would seem to discount a CGI-heavy post-production, but then I remembered how CGI-heavy the last movie was.

But Mangold may have other things in mind rather thana CGI fest? Maybe? Logan was a movie that you would think would be that movie but did NOT look like a bunch of 1s and 0s flying around everywhere. It looked pretty light on that sort of thing save for a couple scenes. And the cinematography is just about right..

Logan had a lot of CGI if I remember right. Some stuff you wouldn't even think they'd need CGI for they CGIed.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-17-2020

That's true of most modern films.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:19 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Sure, but he's working for Disney, so if they push him towards a more f/x driven adventure, at least Mangold can handle it better than others.

Yeah, that is something too. It's funny listening to the commentary for Jurassic World, because it sounds like Trevorrow wanted to do a lot of things practically, but in the end the only thing they'd let him do that way was that one dinosaur they find. And then you've got things like that Thing remake/prequel. The only bright spot would probably be that a big part of their first Star Wars marketing was how it wasn't going to be tons of CGI; so maybe if that isn't the direction he wants to go, they'll not force him that way.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I actually think both his Wolverine films are equal in quality.

Wolverine:  Japan Rage is sooooo underrated.  Particularly the unrated cut.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:27 PM)simbob Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:36 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:28 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I was about to say that a start date eleven months ahead of the release date would seem to discount a CGI-heavy post-production, but then I remembered how CGI-heavy the last movie was.

But Mangold may have other things in mind rather thana CGI fest? Maybe? Logan was a movie that you would think would be that movie but did NOT look like a bunch of 1s and 0s flying around everywhere. It looked pretty light on that sort of thing save for a couple scenes. And the cinematography is just about right..

Logan had a lot of CGI if I remember right. Some stuff you wouldn't even think they'd need CGI for they CGIed.

My point was that it looks a lot less artificial no matter how much CGI it might actually have. For all I know it might have MORE. The Mummy may have a shit ton more CGI than Crystal Skull as well but, I know which one I'd rather the next Indy look like..

(11-17-2020, 09:34 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 09:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I actually think both his Wolverine films are equal in quality.

Wolverine:  Japan Rage is sooooo underrated.  Particularly the unrated cut.

I love it too. 

I guess that's why I go so easy on Days of Future Past and Apocalypse (and even Dark Phoenix to a small degree) is that X-Men 3 and then Origins were SOOOO horrible that the uptick in quality beginning in 2011 was very pleasing. I know Apocalypse isn't well liked really so, just speaking for myself on that one..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 11-17-2020

I love Days of Future Past ... except for the "future sequences" which were nonsensical in terms of plotting and art design, ignored the events of prior films, and felt largely superfluous. Thankfully except for some bookend sequences they're a fairly limited part of the narrative.

I rewatched Apocalypse recently. Still bad, but boy did it seem a lot better after having seen Dark Phoenix!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:44 PM)Overlord Wrote: I love Days of Future Past ... except for the "future sequences" which were nonsensical in terms of plotting and art design, ignored the events of prior films, and felt largely superfluous.  Thankfully except for some bookend sequences they're a fairly limited part of the narrative.  

I rewatched Apocalypse recently.  Still bad, but boy did it seem a lot better after having seen Dark Phoenix!
The only thing that bothers me about the future sequences is that those sentinels that can copy ANY power seem to be more Rogue than Mystique but...they made them from Mystique's DNA? First of all...DNA doesn't seem to determine what your abilities are because if that were the case shouldn't Quicksilver be able to move metal? And also....Kitty's power went from being able to go through walls or objects to being able to go through the wall of....time? But not her, someone else. And not their body but just their consciousness? But I gave up on nit picking continuity in that particular set of films around about....X-Men 2 lol?

Just admit it ... the future stuff sucks.

Prof X was resurrected off screen FFS.

(11-17-2020, 10:01 PM)Overlord Wrote: Just admit it ... the future stuff sucks.

Prof X was resurrected off screen FFS.

I'm too simple a creature to not like the visuals and the action going on. I mean...yeah, if you like logic and stuff it sucks. 

He wasn't ressurrected off screen because he never died because SOMEhow they knew my head canon and excised X-Men 3 COMPLETELY. Bolivar Trask went from Mac in Predator to Peter Dinklage for chrissakes lol.

There's some nice action I was surprised they got away with in that opening future battle. Although I just watched that movie The Impossible for the first time on Netflix, (which was directed by the guy that did The Orphanage) God damn I couldn't believe what they were able to do within a PG-13 in a 2012 movie. Guessing it's because it's based on something that actually happened. But that movie makes basically everything with a PG-13 in the last 2 decades seem like they aren't trying to get away with anything. Makes most stuff that gets a PG-13 look like they should be PG.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 11-18-2020

Breakdown of Logan FX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWu5Brx_As

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 11-18-2020

Lil off topic guys.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-18-2020

(11-17-2020, 09:44 PM)Overlord Wrote: I rewatched Apocalypse recently.  Still bad, but boy did it seem a lot better after having seen Dark Phoenix!

It's not good, but it at least felt like it was swinging for the fences as a unabashed comic book from the 80s/90s. It reminded me a lot of the 90s cartoon show particularly. That climax with Xavier and his "YOU'RE IN MY HOUSE NOW!" felt like the kind of shit a child would do with his toys.

DARK PHOENIX was just an all around dud afterthought. Felt like a made for TV movie from the 90s. The only thing I remember liking about it was the Zimmer score.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 11-18-2020

(11-18-2020, 03:17 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: It's not good, but it at least felt like it was swinging for the fences as a unabashed comic book from the 80s/90s. It reminded me a lot of the 90s cartoon show particularly. That climax with Xavier and his "YOU'RE IN MY HOUSE NOW!" felt like the kind of shit a child would do with his toys.

hahahah I enjoy APOCALYPSE a great deal for this quality!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 11-18-2020

When Angel started getting his metal plated wings as Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" played I realized what kind of movie I was in.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 11-18-2020

A trash fire movie?

(11-18-2020, 03:35 AM)freeman Wrote: A trash fire movie?

Undoubtedly, but an entertaining one! More than I can say of certain X-Men films.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 11-20-2020

Quote:Today LRM can exclusively reveal that the Indy 5 art department already started work. Earlier this week it was rumored that Indiana Jones 5 would begin shooting in August, 2021. According to our source at Pinewood Studios, the art department already got to work around two-three weeks ago. It’s not particularly uncommon for art work to begin this far out from a shoot. However, it might also mean that the script is either finished, or more likely in a semi-completed state. There would be no point issuing work to art departments that will never be used in the film. However, this is just a guess on my part, let me make that clear.

https://lrmonline.com/news/indy-5-art-department-already-started-lrm-top-shelf-rumor/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 11-20-2020

I mean, can it be worse than Crystal Skull? Possibly. Probably not.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 11-20-2020

It has a far worse director than Crystal Skull...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 11-20-2020

Never understood the Mangold hate in these parts. Especially with films like 3:10 TO YUMA and LOGAN.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 11-20-2020

(11-20-2020, 09:52 AM)atomtastic Wrote: It has a far worse director than Crystal Skull...

On balance, sure. But in terms of making an old-fashioned adventure movie...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 11-20-2020

(11-20-2020, 09:57 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Never understood the Mangold hate in these parts. Especially with films like 3:10 TO YUMA and LOGAN.
Probably because those movies aren’t that good.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 11-20-2020

Way underselling Mangold.

I like Cop Land!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 11-20-2020

(11-20-2020, 10:09 AM)atomtastic Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 09:57 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Never understood the Mangold hate in these parts. Especially with films like 3:10 TO YUMA and LOGAN.
Probably because those movies aren’t that good.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 11-20-2020

I've never seen a Mangold film that I've disliked.

I'm still not sold that he's a great tonal fit for Indiana Jones.

Guess you didn’t see Identity then.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 11-20-2020

3:10 TO YUMA and both WOLVERINE films are extremely solid, and FORD V FERRARI is fantastic. I'm totally willing to see what Mangold does with Indy.

Forgot FvF was Mangold. I didn't love it but it was solid. I'd say Mangold might even be a better match as a director for Bale than Nolan.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 11-20-2020

(11-20-2020, 12:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Forgot FvF was Mangold. I didn't love it but it was solid. I'd say Mangold might even be a better match as a director for Bale than Nolan.

Not sure which Bale performance was better: his work in FvF or his work in THE FIGHTER. I'll grant that he won the Oscar for THE FIGHTER (and deserved it) but I think he would have won for FvF if it hadn't been for the career defining work of Brad Pitt in ONCE...HOLLYWOOD.

Also: Bale's 'perfect lap' in FvF was probably my favorite scene from last year.  Just incredible filmmaking there in every way, shape, and form.

I'd actually say FvF. His work in FIGHTER is good but even Bale categorized it as showy.

It's kind of like Edgerton and Hardy in WARRIOR. Hardy's ACTING and gets all the attention but Edgerton is the one who comes across as a complete, real human being in the movie. Without Edgerton's grounded character, the movie fails.

Bale's performance in FvF certainly has verve and energy but it doesn't scream AWARD ME THE OSCAR like his portrayal in FIGHTER does.

(For the record, I really like THE FIGHTER, and not just because Amy Adams is eye-meltingly hot in that skimpy bra and panties set.)

WARRIOR is a film that I still need to see. I've heard it's excellent.

I personally rate it above THE FIGHTER but lower than CREED.

Love all three, though.