The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 12-08-2020

Reassuring!

Are we meant to believe that Mangold didn't even have a story pitch when he got the job?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 12-08-2020

I would assume (hope) some kind of concept was agreed upon before the process of penning the screenplay began, but who knows. The optimistic outlook is that with shooting eight months away, Mangold will have had well over a year to complete and polish a script. Of course, similar statements could have been made at various points over the last five years this project has been in development.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 12-08-2020

n
e
v
e
r

h
a
p
p
e
n
s

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 12-08-2020

More producer talk from Marshall:

Quote:With James Mangold taking over directing Indiana Jones 5, you’re still involved, right? I think you are?

Yeah.

Is that movie cursed? Because every time it seems like it’s about ready to get going, something happens. And now we have this happen where the world changed.

I think we’re on the right track now, Mike.

Okay. Why is that?

I think everybody’s together. Jim is off working on the script and we have a release date. Hopefully, everything will be safe to start next summer. It looks good!

https://uproxx.com/movies/frank-marshall-interview-bee-gees-documentary-hbo-indiana-jones-5/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 12-08-2020

I wish my job was mostly speaking in incredibly vague terms.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 12-08-2020

But ... aren't you in marketing?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 12-08-2020

Maaaybe...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 12-08-2020

We'll see, Frank!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 12-09-2020

I used to be against the idea for a while, but now I really wish this was a reboot. I love Ford as Indy but I have no desire to see an 80 year old Indy, even if they somehow come up with a story that's age appropriate for him.

Especially because you already have a new, fresh director. Why not update Indiana Jones for a modern audience?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 12-09-2020

Should be filming back to back reboot movies with Antony Starr.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 12-09-2020

Hemsworth you swine.

Starr is occupied.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 12-09-2020

There is zero chance that this gets made (I could stop the post here) without SOME sort of passing the torch element to it. And it won't be to a new character. Someone else WILL play Indy at some point. And I have no idea how to even gauge whether that turns out good or not. Maybe they get a new actor and we finally get Indy's On Her Majesty's Secret Service and it bombs (until 35 years later when everyone realizes it was actually great) and then we get an extremely bored 90 year old Ford as Indy one more time before ....a successful recasting? 

I have no idea. Indy feels like it should pass with Ford whenever that awful day comes. But it won't. 

But really, the violence levels in The Wolverine and Logan (they won't go THAT far but...you get what I'm saying) feel more like old school Raiders violence than the big cartoon that Crystal Skull was. Despite that I've come around to it in a way I never thought I would, it's still the least of the four films. The look of Mangold's movies have the right....something...I think. An earthiness maybe. Logan especially. Someone other than Spielberg directing might actually be the best thing for it because he's so clearly moved on in terms of what kind of films he makes. Remaking West Side Story sounds like the most boring thing imaginable. If he found something creatively fulfilling about making that movie then, that's great for him. Tell me how it is..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 12-09-2020

As RedLetterMedia put it.  Indiana Jones is not much of a character.  If he comes back and he doesn't have the hat and the jacket and the whip and the gun, if he was a truly wonderful meaningful lasting character, fans would be OK with that.

Like James Bond he's a cipher for men to fantasize about being a tomb raider and globe trotter.  I'm not saying Nathan Drake and Indiana aren't GOOD characters, but they're not so strong to support a completely different type and tone of story in another context, like a three hour one location family drama.  I know people on this board talk about the immensity of Fords charisma and how it simply cannot be replaced, we saw that with Alden, ultimately this is getting recast sooner or later.

Lets make it sooner.  We've got an Uncharted movie with Tom Holland coming up.  The Tomb Raider trilogy is big and epic and awesome and people love them.  Uncharted 4 is a MASTAH PEECE BAY BEEEEE!  The hunger for these tales is as ravenous as ever, and we need that charismatic hero in the hat back. 

WE NEED THE KING OF ADVENTURE!  Adventure has a name!!!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 12-09-2020

I'll say Nathan Drake isn't a good character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 12-09-2020

I'm not sure I know who Nathan Drake is.

I know he's not Indiana Jones though..

The star of what is easily the best adventure game ever made and quite honestly, my spirit animal.  It's just...  INCREDIBLE. 

Ohh that's the Uncharted guy's name. Ok. I've heard those games are pretty phenomenal. 

Every once in a while a game comes along that makes ne think about getting back into gaming but...I know me too well and I know what I'd do. I'd never get anything fucking done lol. Uncharted was one of those like the Arkham Asylum games and GTA. The ones that make you buy a system..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 12-09-2020

He's a video game character. I'd say he's less a character and more some kind of quip delivery system that you guide through set pieces. Sometimes he feels things about killing, but it doesn't stop him from killing a few hundred people either. He like a crazy murderor. The opening mission of the second game has you break into some museum and you just murder the normal guards (first guy you throw off a cliff) after talking about how you shouldn't kill anyone...it's hilarious.

There's no reason that a video game character can't be made into a successful movie character. Just because it hasn't been done to perfection yet doesn't mean one can't or won't be.

(12-09-2020, 06:37 AM)simbob Wrote: He's a video game character. I'd say he's less a character and more some kind of quip delivery system that you guide through set pieces. Sometimes he feels things about killing, but it doesn't stop him from killing a few hundred people either. He like a crazy murderor. The opening mission of the second game has you break into some museum and you just murder the normal guards (first guy you throw off a cliff) after talking about how you shouldn't kill anyone...it's hilarious.

This is the nature of video games where you kill. You're inherently going to kill a LOT. Lara Croft is also a savage killer over in her title. His arc in Uncharted 4 is still subtle and incredibly great.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 06:26 AM)freeman Wrote: The star of what is easily the best adventure game ever made

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4ovRlHBHIoGLjPd1eI3Q...g&usqp=CAU]

You heard me.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 02:39 AM)mola ram Wrote: I used to be against the idea for a while, but now I really wish this was a reboot. I love Ford as Indy but I have no desire to see an 80 year old Indy, even if they somehow come up with a story that's age appropriate for him.

Especially because you already have a new, fresh director. Why not update Indiana Jones for a modern audience?

(12-09-2020, 02:39 AM)mola ram Wrote: I used to be against the idea for a while, but now I really wish this was a reboot. I love Ford as Indy but I have no desire to see an 80 year old Indy, even if they somehow come up with a story that's age appropriate for him.

I’d put good money on no recasting being part of Ford’s contract. He’s protective of this character in a way he never was with Solo.

(12-09-2020, 06:50 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: There's no reason that a video game character can't be made into a successful movie character. Just because it hasn't been done to perfection yet doesn't mean one can't or won't be.

Ace Attorney is good.

(12-09-2020, 07:08 AM)freeman Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 06:37 AM)simbob Wrote: He's a video game character. I'd say he's less a character and more some kind of quip delivery system that you guide through set pieces. Sometimes he feels things about killing, but it doesn't stop him from killing a few hundred people either. He like a crazy murderor. The opening mission of the second game has you break into some museum and you just murder the normal guards (first guy you throw off a cliff) after talking about how you shouldn't kill anyone...it's hilarious.

This is the nature of video games where you kill.  You're inherently going to kill a LOT.  Lara Croft is also a savage killer over in her title.  His arc in Uncharted 4 is still subtle and incredibly great.

Yes, but then if you want to have a game where you kill a thousand people you don't write the character to have a problem with death in the way they do. The museum thing plays like parody it was so badly thought out. It's stupid when the new Lara Croft games do this too. This also wasn't a problem in the original Tomb Raider games. If you want to write the character in the way they seem to want to, just make a game where stealth is an option, and not killing is an option. With the new Tomb Raider games, and the Uncharted games, the writing is completely divorced for the gameplay; it's like two department worked on the thing and weren't aware of what the other was doing.

(12-09-2020, 07:38 AM)freeman Wrote: You heard me.

I hear ya.

[Image: d3012e961dedaa19e164ac0bc81d51d8.gif]

[Image: ApgYqjA.gif]

That's ridiculous. Killing a hundred thousand people in a video game doesn't mean the character has to be cool with that in the movie. 

If they ever make a Final Fight movie the main character would probably not fight quite so msny people. And isn't gonna recover from having the absolute shit beat out of them by finding some grapes or a cartoonishly large roast inside of a random tin drum or garbage can. Because that's how people survive being beaten and stabbed and shot...eating blinking food out of garbage cans. Just like movie Lara Croft doesn't have to be a nonchalant mass murderer..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 12-09-2020

It cuts both ways as well. In the Tomb Raidery later Indy games he inevitably kills about 300 people over the course of a game, but that says more about the nature of the game genre than his actual character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 12-09-2020

Please. Nathan Drake wouldn't know how to use cheese to recharge a magic wand and turn into a tiger if it was laid out for him for with 97 consecutive contextual button prompts.

... What.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 12-09-2020

C'mon, man, what do you even know about adventure games. Next you'll be telling me you've never knocked out a sentient chimpanzee with a jockstrap slingshot, let alone contrived to have a vending machine dispense a fish into your ear. Have you even gotten a meteor a book deal? Helped a mummy win a beauty contest? Cripes, son.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 12-09-2020

They've probably never sold a fine leather jacket, asked about loom, or put a hamster in microwave.

I mean, how on Earth do you expect to use time travel to amend the Declaration of Independence to suit your immediate circumstances if you can't master simple tasks like that?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 12-09-2020

When did this place become a retirement home?

(12-09-2020, 10:12 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: When did this place become a retirement home?

[Image: 49c61cc15d85dcb0bec0f4657055e90b.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 09:48 PM)Overlord Wrote: They've probably never sold a fine leather jacket, asked about loom, or put a hamster in microwave.

[Image: d7d4566aad6cecd60a37cf830bb139f9.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 12-10-2020

How appropriate, you meme like a cow.