The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 12-10-2020

Kathleen Kennedy has announced that the movie will film in the spring.

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-filming-date-harrison-ford/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 12-10-2020

I'll believe it when I see it.

If they announced an actual title I'd be more optimistic.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Iron Maiden - 12-10-2020

I'll add that the Star Wars Twitter account said July 2022 for a release:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1337177297158213635

Quote:Lucasfilm is in pre-production on the next installment of Indiana Jones. At the helm is James @Mang0ld, director of Ford v Ferrari, and Indy himself, Harrison Ford, will be back to continue his iconic character’s journey. Adventure arrives July 2022.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 01-05-2021

John Rhys-Davis hassled about INDY 5:

Quote:“I understand the film is going to be made, allegedly in May,” Rhys-Davies told us. “I have the slightest skepticism that the world will be able to shoot a movie like that in May. I suppose it is possible that I will be asked to be in it. If nominated I will serve! (laughs) But I think we ought to wait a little bit longer and, you know, let our masters actually make announcements and then you can either share my joy or my disappointment. Is that suitably diplomatic?”

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - history buff - 01-06-2021

How many times have we been down this road. This movie is never going to happen, at least not with Ford as Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 01-06-2021

(10-21-2020, 01:36 PM)MichaelM Wrote: never

ever

ever

happens

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 01-06-2021

[Image: CloudyYellowAlbino-small.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 01-06-2021

Well...Ford himself has got at LEAST 40 more good years in him so, who knows? I just hope Mangold lives long enough to make it..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 01-06-2021

I still remember when this was originally a May 2011 release.

It's pretty much Indy 4 all over again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 01-06-2021

Just waiting for the inevitable announcement of Ford retiring from the role and the countless mind-numblingly dumbfuck editorials about radicalizing the character in one way or the other ("Why can't Indiana Jones be female?") until they cast whatever white dude who is available and not already contractually-committed to another franchise.

So... six months from now? A year?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 01-06-2021

Just recast with Antony Starr ... for fuck's sake, this franchise needs to be bigger than Ford.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 01-06-2021

The project has arguably never been more "real" than now. By all accounts there is legitimate pre-production activity going on, with concept art being generated, etc. But it still feels like the whole thing is hanging on by a thread. There is no sense that they've finalized a script even now, and the pandemic seems as bad now as it ever was. There is reason to be hopeful about conditions in May, I suppose, but a number of things have to go right. And if they miss this window like they've missed the nine previous ones, they're surely out of continues where a Ford-led version of this movie is concerned?

This production is probably more dependent than most on an on-schedule rollout of the vaccine.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 01-06-2021

I mean, dozens of major productions are still happening already, and if the concern is the age of Ford, he'll certainly be able to have been vaccinated by May, given his age category.

That does NOT mean I think the project will actually start filming in May!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 01-07-2021

I was rewatching the Last Crusade for the millionth time (still an awesome movie, Connery/Ford is the best father son duo), and was going through some old archived articles, and stumbled upon this. Rather interesting.
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/21/movies/meanwhile-back-at-the-ranch.html

I've always felt the Last Crusade deliberately softens Indy up as a character, no longer is he an immoral plundering graverobber but a moral archeologist who truly believes in preservation in the "proper" way. For instance, in the opening scene Indy is recovering the cross from a group of looters rather than being the looter himself, and since the Cross of Coronado is already a western artifact, it's resting place would be a western museum. With the grail, Indy has no desire to get it, he only gets involved to save his dad.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 01-07-2021

But I don't think we ever see Indy actually pawning relics to private buyers. Sure he's a looter...but in his mind, he's different from someone like Belloq because he [Indy] loots to preserve the pieces for academic study and perhaps public display (which, being a professor, he could argue in his mind that his actions help educate the public).

The tension is always there in terms of how different is Indy from his opponents, but the text of the films makes it clear he's not eBaying his finds to the highest bidders.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 01-07-2021

Thanks for digging up that piece. Some great quotes in there.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 01-07-2021

(01-07-2021, 01:51 PM)MichaelM Wrote: But I don't think we ever see Indy actually pawning relics to private buyers. Sure he's a looter...but in his mind, he's different from someone like Belloq because he [Indy] loots to preserve the pieces for academic study and perhaps public display (which, being a professor, he could argue in his mind that his actions help educate the public).

In Raiders anyway, Brody is clearly his fence, and even if the artifacts are going to the museum Indy's motivation is personal finance. "They're good pieces, Marcus..."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 01-07-2021

Heheheh lucas’ thoughts on representation

flat circles!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 01-07-2021

All you "this will never happen with Ford" dudes: let's make a bet. If it happens with Ford, you have to give me a hundred bucks each. If it doesn't, I have to make one $5 donation to a charity.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 01-07-2021

(01-07-2021, 02:37 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 01:51 PM)MichaelM Wrote: But I don't think we ever see Indy actually pawning relics to private buyers. Sure he's a looter...but in his mind, he's different from someone like Belloq because he [Indy] loots to preserve the pieces for academic study and perhaps public display (which, being a professor, he could argue in his mind that his actions help educate the public).

In Raiders anyway, Brody is clearly his fence, and even if the artifacts are going to the museum Indy's motivation is personal finance. "They're good pieces, Marcus..."

My post pretty much says the same thing, hammerhead. I tried (but perhaps didn't succeed) to say that Indy's methods didn't differ much from his...competitors. But in Indy's mind, it seems clear, that he wasn't the same, as what he looted ended up in the hands of academics and/or museums, rather than private collectors. RAIDERS calls this out explicitly with Bellow's "shadowy reflection" speech while also explicitly showing us that Indy's finds go to a museum. 

Indy saying "This belongs in a museum!" re: the Cross of Coronado in LAST CRUSADE seems pretty consistent to me.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 01-07-2021

I fell down an Indiana Jones Wikia rabbit hole a few months ago. Apparently Belloq plagiarized Indiana's work back when they were friends. So Belloq was always ambitious in ways that compelled him to make unethical decisions. Indiana's a treasure hunter, yes, and he gets a dressing down for his methods during the bug-eating scene in Temple of Doom, but he's ultimately an academic and in the game for the pursuit of knowledge.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 01-07-2021

What's interesting in Raiders is that Belloq is the one with an intensely personal, even spiritual connection to the Ark. Indy has the background and does his homework, but he's in it for the money. Acting on his personal feelings alone, he'd keep running the other way.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 01-08-2021

If only Belloq knew to keep his eyes shut!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 01-08-2021

The tension is always there in terms of how different is Indy from his opponents, but the text of the films makes it clear he's not eBaying his finds to the highest bidders.

The opening scene of Temple of Doom is him pawning a relic to a Chinese mobster for a diamond. The first half of Temple of Doom is probably Indy at his most selfish, where he's basically a mercenary all about fortune and glory, but at the end he becomes a hero who helps free the slave children and return the stone to the village.

Here's how Lawrence Kasdan wrote the character in Raiders.
"Indy's a classic anti-hero. The idea always from the get-go was that he's fallen from grace as an archaeologist and he's become a grave robber."
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/indiana-jones-making-raiders-lost-ark/

Remember what Belloq says to Indy in the first film?

Belloq: Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you.

I don't think Indy actually gave a shit about preservation until The Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, where he's a much more moral person who doesn't steal stuff. In Raiders and Doom, it's all about the money and adventure.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 01-08-2021

(01-07-2021, 11:18 PM)hammerhead Wrote: What's interesting in Raiders is that Belloq is the one with an intensely personal, even spiritual connection to the Ark. Indy has the background and does his homework, but he's in it for the money. Acting on his personal feelings alone, he'd keep running the other way.

If your personal feelings are to exploit Jewish culture and an angry Old Testament God for French gains... Chances are your face is getting melted.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 01-08-2021

I always thought the implication was that Belloq was hiding his heritage.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 01-08-2021

You're implying he's actually Jewish?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 01-08-2021

That's what the movie implies.

https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Emile_Belloq

I'm missing something here. Where does it imply that?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 01-08-2021

In the film. He's the one who insists on the ritual and, one must assume, the traditional garb.

"It's a transmitter! A radio for speaking to God, and it's within my reach!" Unlike Indy, he believes.

Right... Because he covets the power he thinks the ark can supply him.  I don't see why believing in the power makes him Jewish though.  He tells us all about how his background is a wealthy French vineyard family, and he's willing to let the Nazis have the power of God... So long as he gets a piece.

I don't see Belloq as ever truly being devout, look at that famous scene of him laughing in triumph at the idol. Do you think him coveting the idol makes him Hovitos?  His God is himself.

It's not like he's wearing native garb in Peru. The Ark is a different deal.

I don't know if there's Wkilore about how he finds out about the Tanis dig ahead of Indy, but it's interesting that he does.

You're saying you find the idea of a devout Jew collaborating with Nazis for personal gain unbelievable?

Are you asking me or freeman? I'm a believer. He thinks he can use the Germans' resources to get what he wants.

I'm saying it seems based on context clues that Beloq is not particularly devout, but merely portrayed as doing what he feels he needs to do to communicate with the Ark(Re the robes and ceremony).  We don't see him torn up about working with Nazis we don't see him disturbed about disrespect to the Ark or Jewish culture.  He literally describes it as a "transmitter!  A radio for speaking to GOD!"  Does that sound devout and respectful, to describe the Ark as a powerful tool to be exploited?  He clearly believes God is real, but I don't see devout Juddaism.  I see an opportunist doing what an opportunist would do at every possible chance he gets, for one scene that happened to include some robes and a fun hat.  

If he were Jewish and he respected and feared the Ark, why would he display the incredibly dimwitted arrogance he does and get his face melted?  Old testament God saw right through that huckster.