The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-06-2021

[Image: indianajones2__1502726910603__w640.jpg]

[Image: piranha1.jpg]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-06-2021

Do you think Mac will return? Maybe the aliens drop him off.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 02-06-2021

Ox! Ox! What now, Ox?

Unforgivable.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-06-2021

Man, an Indy movie with John Hurt, Ray Winstone, Cate Blanchett as a sexy communist dominatrix and yet...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 03:44 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 09:51 AM)call me roy Wrote: I will place 1,000 dollars on the table that Rhys-Davies won't even be within 3 countries of where this ends up getting filmed.

An easy bet since Indy 5 won't happen anyway.

I think the balls starting to roll, if Mangold's already starting to meet the crew.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 04:00 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I think you could still do the daddy issues stuff without more chases in the desert.

You seem to miss that "the chase in the desert" is performed differently than the one in Raiders (this time all the characters get involved and Indy gets to actually fight the main Nazi) and it ends with a great emotional bit where Henry thinks he's lost Indy. The rest of the film features exploring libraries & tombs in Venice, a Nazi castle, sneaking into the Nazi base, escaping into a zeppelin, and a finale where Indy's using both his knowledge of archaeology and going against a ticking clock to save his dad's life. It's a lot more varied than you make it out to be.

(02-06-2021, 04:06 PM)fatherdude Wrote: TEMPLE OF DOOM is like the Saturday matinee tradition distilled and freebased by a team of people working at the absolute top of their game. It propels along with a gusto and manic virtuosity that continues to shame modern escapist movies, while being the only Indy sequel that really goes toe-to-toe with RAIDERS in terms of the set pieces. It's also gorgeously photographed and features Ford in objectively peak physical condition as Indy. I can see being grated by its extremes, but come on, the idea that CRYSTAL SKULL's lens-smeared drowsiness merits even an argument for being its match, much less its better, is outhouse rat levels of crazy.

Yes, I'll concede the rope bridge scene kicks ass, and at it's best, it features Spielberg/Ford/Lucas at the peak of their powers. But I have to disagree that it propels along...

There's no action after the plane crash and until the spiked-ceiling sequence. In between we're stuck with exposition in the village, unfunny bits with Willie & the elephant, the monkey brain dinner and all this filler stuff. They could have used some of this portion to develop the Sankara Stones more or introduce Mola Ram and his Thuggees earlier, so that they don't show up randomly with no introduction until an hour in.

Another aspect I feel TEMPLE is lacking is the whole archaeology/detective aspect - even CRYSTAL SKULL got this element right. In TEMPLE, Indy just stumbles into everything by accident without using his knowledge of history and cracking clues. It makes the whole treasure hunt and sense of mystery a bit aimless.

* Not saying SKULL is necessarily better, and I feel TEMPLE has its good points, but I still have to point out its flaws and why I feel it falls short of the bookending installments.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-06-2021

TEMPLE OF JONES lovin’ eh???

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 04:40 PM)ravi Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 04:00 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I think you could still do the daddy issues stuff without more chases in the desert.

You seem to miss that "the chase in the desert" is performed differently than the one in Raiders (this time all the characters get involved and Indy gets to actually fight the main Nazi) and it ends with a great emotional bit where Henry thinks he's lost Indy. The rest of the film features exploring libraries & tombs in Venice, a Nazi castle, sneaking into the Nazi base, escaping into a zeppelin, and a finale where Indy's using both his knowledge of archaeology and going against a ticking clock to save his dad's life. It's a lot more varied than you make it out to be.

That last 30 mins could have been done in a different setting, and with new antagonists instead of Nazis yet again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 07:35 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: That last 30 mins could have been done in a different setting, and with new antagonists instead of Nazis yet again.

Uh....it is. It's set inside Petra, Jordan and all the stuff with the three traps, the Grail Knight character waiting while Henry's life hangs in the balance is a completely different scenario than what's been done before. 

Again, even if they bring the Nazis back, they do different things with them: Elsa's connection, giving the Nazi commander some great moments ("This how we say goodbye in Germany") bringing them out in full force and have the Cruciform Sword battling them as well. At least they're set up within the story early on with motivations as opposed to introducing them an hour in and simply making them evil for the sake of being evil.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 04:17 PM)fatherdude Wrote: While the script is CRYSTAL SKULL’s cardinal problem, I’d be academically curious to know what gains CRYSTAL SKULL would enjoy if its writing had been improved not one jot, but Spielberg had simply put his combat boots on and shot it like he did the other films. All that river stuff ought to have looked along the lines of DELIVERANCE or the final act of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Instead it compares unfavorably to ALMOST HEROES. I’d be more open to entertaining the whole “It’s no worse that TEMPLE” debate if the movie even looked right, but what the fuck is this?

It would've been vastly better if the set pieces weren't all so underwhelming. If at the very least everything had been up to the level of the fight scene with the ants the movie probably would've been enjoyable.

I'd be interesting to know how many more better takes of things were left on the cutting room floor in favor of what went into the movie, because at least from the trailer we know there's a better version of the "part time" line that what they went with.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 05:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: TEMPLE OF JONES lovin’ eh???

Boy I love it. So great.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-06-2021

Complaining about Indiana Jones fighting Nazis in more than one movie is like complaining about James Bond fighting SPECTRE in more than one movie.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 07:49 PM)ravi Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 07:35 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: That last 30 mins could have been done in a different setting, and with new antagonists instead of Nazis yet again.

Uh....it is. It's set inside Petra, Jordan and all the stuff with the three traps, the Grail Knight character waiting while Henry's life hangs in the balance is a completely different scenario than what's been done before. 

Again, even if they bring the Nazis back, they do different things with them: Elsa's connection, giving the Nazi commander some great moments ("This how we say goodbye in Germany") bringing them out in full force and have the Cruciform Sword battling them as well. At least they're set up within the story early on with motivations as opposed to introducing them an hour in and simply making them evil for the sake of being evil.

Nah, it could have been more different.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-06-2021

Who do you think he should have been fighting in that movie?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-07-2021

Last Crusade is cool!

as is fighting more nazis again!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-07-2021

(02-06-2021, 10:13 PM)simbob Wrote: Who do you think he should have been fighting in that movie?

The Saracens, obviously.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-07-2021

(02-06-2021, 05:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: TEMPLE OF JONES lovin’ eh???

I like this guy's little recording alcove. He's got some art from one of the better Bond artists out there!

I think he's dead-on about (what was likely) quite a bit of personal irritation and frustration informing the ferocious, go-for-broke approach Spielberg and Lucas would take with the material.

I wish Spielberg could make peace with whatever embarrassment he might feel looking back on it, and embrace that a lot of people today do love the movie and don't view it as the misfire he thinks it was originally perceived as.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 02-07-2021

the way Raimi shouldn’t apologize for spiderman3!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 02-07-2021

... Not exactly, no.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-07-2021

It seems so weird that either Lucas or Spielberg would have any animosity over Temple of Doom given the way they talked about it in the background material/booster segment they always used to play with Temple of Doom when it'd play on tv in the '90. Hearing them talk about Temple of Doom in that, that movie was the ultimate ride they wanted Raiders to be. They both seemed very enamored with the movie, and having created this movie as a ride experience. I always got the feeling from watching that, that Doom kind of changed Lucas's whole outlook on what these kinds of movies were, and that's what he was trying to do with his Star Wars prequels.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-07-2021

Temple of Doom's unfiltering un-PC overtones don't really fit with the image Spielberg's cultivated for himself. It's no surprise he distances himself from the film.

I think when it was made Spielberg savored in directing Temple of Doom, but after the films reception this was his response.
[Image: 1289acfd-b716-48d7-b25a-331b6a636029_text_hi.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - gaby007 - 02-11-2021

Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth? Hmm:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/indiana-jones-5-rumored-revolve-fountain-youth/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-11-2021

I'm skeptical.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN already used that as a MacGuffin.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-12-2021

We Got This Covered is a website that just makes up scoops.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-12-2021

Ahahahaha!!

Oh please be true!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-12-2021

It’s almost the same macguffin as Last Crusade.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 02-12-2021

That Fountain of Youth "rumor" has been around a long time. A long time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - gaby007 - 02-12-2021

(02-12-2021, 12:00 AM)atomtastic Wrote: We Got This Covered is a website that just makes up scoops.

I agree. But it wasn't just "We Got This Covered" that reported it. Having said that, it's possible that it is BS.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-12-2021

Like the Chris Pratt rumor, it had no basis the first time it appeared, many years ago. But what happens is one disreputable site desperate for clicks will reheat it as if it's news, then a bunch of other sites will bandwagon off of it, and in this way it gets another cycle in news aggregates every couple of months.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-12-2021

The Fountain of Youth macguffin-twist should be that it DOES restore you to youth, but to do so it takes life from someone else.

Whoever is cast as the bad guy should become the next Indiana Jones (Indy "sucks" his life away and becomes him). It's a way to soft recast while keeping the continuity.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-12-2021

Indy takes a young Indy Jr in training/Shia replacement with him to the Fountain. The Fountain then highjacks Indy Jr.'s body, inserts Old Indy's soul, and uses glamour magic to give the body the outward appearance of 1981 Harrison Ford, but only to eligible single women. Acts 2 and 3 are all about getting laid as much as possible while questing for Montezuma's Gold.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-13-2021

(02-12-2021, 06:56 PM)Overlord Wrote: The Fountain of Youth macguffin-twist should be that it DOES restore you to youth, but to do so it takes life from someone else.

Maybe I'm walking into a trap here, but that's exactly how the Fountain works in PIRATES 4.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-13-2021

Also, it would be super-lazy to top off yet another Indy film by insta-shriveling one of the villains.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-13-2021

Especially when it would be achieved via lame CGI!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-13-2021

Preach.