The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 10:15 PM)itsnotatumor Wrote: You joined after I was like w.e this place is full of jerks, but I like you. I like your posts, I appreciate what you have to say about movies and stuff. Really do!

aw how sweet!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 03-15-2021

Just kiss.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 03-16-2021

Overlord "I like how indicating Steven Spielberg signed off on the picture quality is supposed to mean anything.  This is the guy who basically remote-directed Ready Player One (he did not spend one single day in the studio overseeing post-production and never communicated directly to a single "ground floor" FX artist) and who apparently actually thought that Crystal Skull's cinematography represented a reasonable approximation of Douglas Slocombe's visual style."
*edit- quote function messed up

Isn't the director of visual effects supposed to be the person the movie director talks to? You need some kind of hierarchy to make the communication time efficient. Editing and sound and all that is going on at the same time. And there could be multiple FX studios with hundreds of contractors. Even if I knew how to work the software, I'm not going to go down there and tell the subsurface scattering guy how to do his job.

Wes Anderson did Fantastic Fox by remote control, and that turned out pretty great, right? I don't think it's the method that's the problem.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mondguy - 03-16-2021

(03-15-2021, 10:15 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Wasn't the shot of the Nazi jeep going over the cliff in the desert chase completely redone for the TV broadcast version not too long ago?

The original shot remains untouched on the Blu-ray.

I could have sworn I saw that revised shot on the 2003 DVDs.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 12:29 AM)mondguy Wrote: I could have sworn I saw that revised shot on the 2003 DVDs.

Apparently it wasn't added until 2008...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 03-16-2021

I'm fine with the dodgy effects. They tried their best!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 03-16-2021

(03-15-2021, 11:52 PM)bradito Wrote: Just kiss.

PUCKER UP, tumorfuel!!!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 03-16-2021

That's an interesting change, it's exactly the same, but they replaced the matte painting with what looks like a miniature. At least with the terrible quality of that video it's hard to tell that's not an actual miniature and is CGI. Honestly I would have preferred the CGI in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull have been made to look like fake miniatures that trying to go for realism. Given the timing I wonder if that was done as a test for Crystal Skull? It seems weird to just recreate that quick cliff fall exactly as a fake miniature just for airings on USA and Sci-Fi Channel.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-16-2021

It feels like such a Lucas "I'm gonna tinker around unnecessarily" change. I guess it's possible the idea was Spielberg's, but it's so in line with the kind of crap Lucas was pulling with the DVD and Blu-ray tweaks to the STAR WARS trilogy around that time. "Here's R2 stuck behind a rock for no reason!"

At least the RAIDERS bit appears confined just to the TV airings.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - itsnotatumor - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 01:53 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: It feels like such a Lucas "I'm gonna tinker around unnecessarily" change.  I guess it's possible the idea was Spielberg's, but it's so in line with the kind of crap Lucas was pulling with the DVD and Blu-ray tweaks to the STAR WARS trilogy around that time.  "Here's R2 stuck behind a rock for no reason!"  

At least the RAIDERS bit appears confined just to the TV airings.
I hope nobody forgot about that one time when Spielberg did a special edition of E.T. I haven't seen that version in a long time and I don't wanna revisit it. 

E.T. btw is probably my favorite film of all time, no other film puts me through the full range of emotions the way it does. It's unique for me in that respect.

But the Star Wars Special Editions were great popcorn fun when they were released in theaters. I never had so much fun with my family before that. It was a unique experience for us.

The difference being, I was like 11 years old when I finally got to see Star Wars in theaters with my dad and my mom and my sister. I was a young adult when the updated ET was released, and now I'm at that age where I've gotten most of the hard stuff out of the way so I mean if they update some legitimately bad effects for the 4K release of Indiana Jones I'm okay with that. It just cannot be anything like replacing guns with walkie talkies, Han Solo not shooting first and so on.

Spielberg has -- rightly -- basically disowned his E.T. special edition. He knows he made a mistake.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 12:23 AM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Overlord "I like how indicating Steven Spielberg signed off on the picture quality is supposed to mean anything.  This is the guy who basically remote-directed Ready Player One (he did not spend one single day in the studio overseeing post-production and never communicated directly to a single "ground floor" FX artist) and who apparently actually thought that Crystal Skull's cinematography represented a reasonable approximation of Douglas Slocombe's visual style."
*edit- quote function messed up

Isn't the director of visual effects supposed to be the person the movie director talks to? You need some kind of hierarchy to make the communication time efficient. Editing and sound and all that is going on at the same time. And there could be multiple FX studios with hundreds of contractors. Even if I knew how to work the software, I'm not going to go down there and tell the subsurface scattering guy how to do his job.

Wes Anderson did Fantastic Fox by remote control, and that turned out pretty great, right? I don't think it's the method that's the problem.

Besides, Spielberg famously did the same thing with JURASSIC PARK. When between the shootings of SCHINDLER'S LIST he'd have video satellite conversations with the f/x crew.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - cd underbelly - 03-16-2021

(03-15-2021, 08:01 PM)simbob Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 07:43 PM)mondguy Wrote: Eh, it's been that way since 2003 and the credits haven't been altered, so it's a minor issue for myself.

Just gives you longer to hate it.

When it comes to fast food burgers it's all about Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers.

(03-12-2021, 11:26 PM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 08:49 PM)headless fett Wrote: McDiarrhea is fun!

Fun fact, the first and only time I ate an Impossible Whopper from Burger King it gave me the runs.

Another fun fact, my order # was 66. Order 66! Thanks King Palpatine!

That's not a fun fact.

It's still real to me dammit!

(03-15-2021, 10:06 PM)itsnotatumor Wrote: Hi, this and so many other discussions here are very interesting and before I get back into them I want to assure you that I am a real person, never was a troll on these forums. I've also been known as Isildur's Bangs and so on...anyways you guys should discuss the movies only and never bother other people on this forum to the extent that some people previously did. Because you can't get what I have, nobody can. Okay?

Anyways movies this one...it's gotta be about King Arthur or there's no real point to making Indy 5.

I, was a born a CHUDSTER, as was most every other member of this forum. But you, Tumor, you were merely, turned. We have existed this way for dozens of years. Who are you, to challenge our ways?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - itsnotatumor - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 12:39 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:29 AM)mondguy Wrote: I could have sworn I saw that revised shot on the 2003 DVDs.

Video quality is bad but you can still tell (or at least I can) that all the frames are in the same order and contain the same elements, one is just a sharper imagine and has better exposure and more contrast. Not sure what you're referring to really, so if you could be more specific great.

(03-16-2021, 02:49 AM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:06 PM)itsnotatumor Wrote: Hi, this and so many other discussions here are very interesting and before I get back into them I want to assure you that I am a real person, never was a troll on these forums. I've also been known as Isildur's Bangs and so on...anyways you guys should discuss the movies only and never bother other people on this forum to the extent that some people previously did. Because you can't get what I have, nobody can. Okay?

Anyways movies this one...it's gotta be about King Arthur or there's no real point to making Indy 5.

I, was a born a CHUDSTER, as was most every other member of this forum. But you, Tumor, you were merely, turned. We have existed this way for dozens of years. Who are you, to challenge our ways?

WTF are you even talking about? I was posting on this board before you were too. It is not a difficult concept to just be respectful to people until they've disrespected you. I have never antagonized or disrespected anyone on this forum. Do you think you challenge me? You absolutely do not.

(03-16-2021, 02:10 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Spielberg has -- rightly -- basically disowned his E.T. special edition.  He knows he made a mistake.

No shit huh? Maybe read what people write verbatim and respond to that. Okay? That's called being a normal people person. I decide the context and syntax of my posts. You do not.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 03:24 AM)itsnotatumor Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:39 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:

Video quality is bad but you can still tell (or at least I can) that all the frames are in the same order and contain the same elements, one is just a sharper imagine and has better exposure and more contrast. Not sure what you're referring to really, so if you could be more specific great.

(03-16-2021, 02:10 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Spielberg has -- rightly -- basically disowned his E.T. special edition.  He knows he made a mistake.

No shit huh? Maybe read what people write verbatim and respond to that. Okay? That's called being a normal people person. I decide the context and syntax of my posts. You do not.

In the original going over the cliff, the cliff is a matte painting. That second one (apparently) is CGI meant to look like miniature of a cliff. I say apparently because the quality is so bad I can't tell if it's really CGI or an actual miniature, but when I'm looking into it the little I'm seeing is saying it's CG made to mimick the look of a miniature. If you look at the two side-by-side, the two cliffs have different designs. Original drops straight down on the edge, where the new one slopes out on the edge as it goes down. In the new one the road is on a plateau with some trees behind the little road element there, where in the original they're on a mountain that keeps going up in the background. The background element with the mountain range in the original is also changed to some plateaus. The road element, the camera moment, and the vehicles all seem to be from the original movie; but everything else has when changed in the shot of the jeep going over.

That Free Hat episode of South Park may have had something to do with it. Apparently, it may have played a parting in Spielberg rethinking a special edition of Raiders at that time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 12:23 AM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Isn't the director of visual effects supposed to be the person the movie director talks to? You need some kind of hierarchy to make the communication time efficient. Editing and sound and all that is going on at the same time. And there could be multiple FX studios with hundreds of contractors. Even if I knew how to work the software, I'm not going to go down there and tell the subsurface scattering guy how to do his job.

James Cameron is overseeing basically every single FX shot of the Avatar sequels personally.  That's how a lot of directors work.

Spielberg, at this point in his career, likes to delegate as much as possible while he remotely observes on his billion dollar yacht.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - cd underbelly - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 03:24 AM)itsnotatumor Wrote: WTF are you even talking about? I was posting on this board before you were too. It is not a difficult concept to just be respectful to people until they've disrespected you. I have never antagonized or disrespected anyone on this forum. Do you think you challenge me? You absolutely do not.

Slow your're roll bro, and recognize the reference. Don't get so caught up in feeling insulted, it was purely in jest. Most of the crap we sling at each other is all in good fun. Friends josh each other.

And tenure means little. You've been here longer? Cool. But what are you basing that on, where it says my current account was created? I've been with this community since the mid 2000s, if not sooner. I remember lurking the first couple of years before first signing up.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 03-16-2021

It’s not a big deal.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 06:12 AM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 03:24 AM)itsnotatumor Wrote: words

more words

Oh, you think tenure is your ally. But you merely adopted the CHUD; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see Trouble City until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but HABIT!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-16-2021

A more meaningful update from Papamichael after that weird earlier one that I suspect had a lot of context stripped away:

Quote:Fast forward to 2021 and Papamichael is gearing up for the shoot of James Mangold's Indiana Jones 5 project for Walt Disney and Paramount and will shortly travel to the UK to begin work at Pinewood. "It's a great challenge. It's definitely the biggest budget movie I've ever done, by a lot," he said.

It marks Papamichael's sixth collaboration with Mangold following Identity, Walk The Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Knight And Day and Ford v Ferrari.

"I go in with a certain confidence because it's my sixth movie with James Mangold but of course, it is always a bit daunting because it [Indiana Jones] has affected generations. It comes with a certain responsibility."

Papamichael said that while his recent collaborations with Mangold like Knight And Day and Ford v Ferrari had become increasingly technical their approach even with action films was to remain focused on the character's point of view.

"All this action is really only effective when you feel for the characters when you care whether they're going to make it or not. We really try to focus on their faces, their expressions, their POV."

Papamichael worked recently with Indiana Jones lead Harrison Ford, doing some additional photography for last year's Jack London adaptation, The Call of the Wild, in which the actor starred.

"I personally found him super-fun to be around, very inspirational, [with] the enthusiasm and humour he brings. I'm just looking forward to [Indiana Jones]," Papamichael said, comparing himself to a kid "about to go to Disneyland to explore rides he maybe knows from the past."

Steven Spielberg, who co-created and directed the first four Indiana Jones films, has given his full backing to the new film, added Papamichael, although he could not say how involved he will be. "But I know he's definitely having conversations with Mangold. He is very supportive. He is very excited for us to be doing this," he said.

The project is currently in pre-production and expected to shoot in the summer. Locations are being scouted and production designer Adam Stockhausen is coming up with plans. "We get going in Pinewood and then we go to various locations which I cannot reveal to you."

Papamichael has worked in the UK before, on action-adventure The Huntsman: Winter's War. "I was very impressed by the technical crews, especially the art department, scenic painters and construction. They were very, very impressive. The camera crews were extremely experienced," he said.

It's certainly starting to sound more concrete.

Good to hear there will be some substantial location shooting.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-16-2021

Interesting how the project is described as belonging to "Walt Disney and Paramount." As far as I know Paramount's only involvement in INDY 5 will be their contractual financial participation. Perhaps that will be enough to append the logo after the Disney and Lucasfilm ones and persist the mountain dissolve gag?

Adam Stockhausen was production designer on some recent Spielberg films, including WEST SIDE STORY, READY PLAYER ONE and BRIDGE OF SPIES. With Spielberg also shooting a movie this summer, I wonder if he'll even be able to hang around set like Lucas did for a few days on CRYSTAL SKULL. As for Lucas, it seems so far like he doesn't even have a token amount of involvement in this installment.

(03-16-2021, 10:58 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Perhaps that will be enough to append the logo after the Disney and Lucasfilm ones and persist the mountain dissolve gag?

I hope so. It wouldn't feel like an Indiana Jones movie without it, and there's no plausible substitute. Paramount's logo did appear on something like four or five MCU movies even after Disney had taken over the actual production of those movies, so maybe there's a similar contractual obligation.

And since he's not directing, I also want to see the return of the "Steven Spielberg Presents" title card, which he hasn't employed on films he's produced for quite a while.

(03-16-2021, 07:42 AM)MichaelM Wrote:

more words

Oh, you think tenure is your ally. But you merely adopted the CHUD; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see Trouble City until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but HABIT!

Michael gets it. Good on ya mate.

(03-16-2021, 06:12 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: It’s not a big deal.

It's still real to him dammit!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 03-16-2021

They should do a seance and have Tobe Hooper "ghost direct" Indy V just for the lulz.

(03-16-2021, 05:00 AM)simbob Wrote: In the original going over the cliff, the cliff is a matte painting. That second one (apparently) is CGI meant to look like miniature of a cliff. I say apparently because the quality is so bad I can't tell if it's really CGI or an actual miniature, but when I'm looking into it the little I'm seeing is saying it's CG made to mimick the look of a miniature. If you look at the two side-by-side, the two cliffs have different designs. Original drops straight down on the edge, where the new one slopes out on the edge as it goes down. In the new one the road is on a plateau with some trees behind the little road element there, where in the original they're on a mountain that keeps going up in the background. The background element with the mountain range in the original is also changed to some plateaus. The road element, the camera moment, and the vehicles all seem to be from the original movie; but everything else has when changed in the shot of the jeep going over.

That Free Hat episode of South Park may have had something to do with it. Apparently, it may have played a parting in Spielberg rethinking a special edition of Raiders at that time.

I will have to actually watch both versions of the film and do a frame by frame analysis to know for sure. But I mean nobody got for that! xD

(03-16-2021, 12:57 PM)bradito Wrote: They should do a seance and have Tobe Hooper "ghost direct" Indy V just for the lulz.
lol dude

(03-16-2021, 12:57 PM)bradito Wrote: They should do a seance and have Tobe Hooper "ghost direct" Indy V just for the lulz.
lol dude

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 03-16-2021

All this talk about tenure ... my join date is getting up there ...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 03-16-2021

I still feel like one of the new kids.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 03-16-2021

(03-16-2021, 01:34 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I still feel like one of the new kids.

Less so these days, but yeah, I still haven't completely shaken that feeling.

Overthehilllord

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - itsnotatumor - 03-17-2021

(03-16-2021, 07:42 AM)MichaelM Wrote:

more words

I wish I could rep you a second time!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - itsnotatumor - 03-17-2021

(03-15-2021, 11:52 PM)bradito Wrote: Just kiss.
[Image: Rbac8b8eeeecd7a48317c02d953d04a31?rik=n2...pid=ImgRaw]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 03-17-2021

(03-15-2021, 10:34 PM)itsnotatumor Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:15 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 09:35 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Nobody seems to be concerned about the bolded phrase in the press release:

Quote:Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.

I'm hoping that was just a bad way of phrasing that they used the latest and greatest tools in accurately reproducing the look of the films as released.

Wasn't the shot of the Nazi jeep going over the cliff in the desert chase completely redone for the TV broadcast version not too long ago?

The original shot remains untouched on the Blu-ray.

I'm going to wait until I see it. One scene that always bothered me was the tank chase sequence in The Last Crusade, the effect of the tank falling off the cliff looked really cartoonish and took me out of the moment. I still appreciate that about it though, but like I said...when I see if they changed anything - and I could tell just by looking at it more or less exactly what was changed - I'll comment on it. Either way I absolutely do want 4k remastered versions of these films.

You know what change I wouldn't mind in Raiders? Get rid of the shots with the "Nepalese" goon during the shoot-out in Marion's bar (obviously aside from the bit where he gets set on fire and shot).

It looks absolutely godawful and a small mar on what I consider to be a near perfect film. Like I get you're following a script and they needed a stuntman to perform the stunt, but you didn't need to put said person in a bizarre combination of brownface and yellowface. They could have just had the stuntguy play a Nazi goon, but regardless it looks noticeably bad

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 03-17-2021

I rewatched raiders last night and was surprised that I’d never noticed that ASIAFACE-ing!

reminded me of cloud atlas!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-22-2021

As a friend of mine would put it: "They did that shit." I think movie shame like that has more use being left in and cringed at than simply disappeared, but it's also easy for me to say that.

Speaking of rewatching RAIDERS, I am surprised no big screen re-release has been announced. Maybe they figure the box set is enough of a 40th anniversary celebration? I seem to recall when CRYSTAL SKULL came out there were widespread screenings of the trilogy. Would be cool if something like that would happen again when we get closer to INDY 5, by which point theaters are hopefully back in full force.