The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-09-2021

I'm just picturing everyone at the studio with their fingers crossed while saying, "Please, please, please..."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 04-09-2021

(04-09-2021, 01:39 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: "The hope is to begin production this summer."

Hope?  Is it not scheduled as such?

When your production hinges on the health of a near-80 year old man I think they're wise to qualify all timetable talk, even if he and everyone around him are vaccinated. Who knows what mutant COVID variants could spring up between now and then?

(04-09-2021, 01:10 PM)Nooj Wrote: It’ll probably end up being belloq’s granddaughter

this is what the saga has always been about

"We felt... to do this... legacy justice... we had to come... full circle. At the end of your life... we... instinctively... look back... and that's what the characters are doing here... We... very consciously... wanted to examine... 'Who is Indiana Jones?' How would... these grand... artefacts of our time... play out... if Indy revisted them? The mythology... and it is a modern mythology that examines and weaves in and out of... the mythology of the past... demanded... a return to the consequences of that first film."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Bucho - 04-09-2021

(04-09-2021, 12:17 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: We have our first new cast member: Phoebe Waller-Bridge. From one Solo to another!

Fine, I'll watch it then!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-09-2021

She's the best character in "Solo."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Bucho - 04-09-2021

She's the best character in everything I've seen her in.

Well, then she should probably play Indiana Jones.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 04-09-2021

I keep forgetting this is an actual thing. Sigh.

I assume she's playing Indy's robot.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 04-09-2021

Indy’s trying to escape from some bad guys, finds the bridge is out. Female voice from offscreen: “Perhaps I could be of some assistance.” Audience goes absolutely fucking nuts.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-09-2021

and she reconnects the bridge by WALLING it!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 04-10-2021

https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/1380934711833358337

Same writing team from Ford v Ferrari. I'm excited. They have a good track record.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-10-2021

FVF is a very good movie, so that's positive.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-10-2021

All you had to tell me was Written by Not David Koepp.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 04-10-2021

Hopefully this fourth instalment does justice to the trilogy that came before it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-10-2021

It would be kind of hilarious if it exended only on Crystal Skull's elements. Like they have to locate Mac's brother.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 04-10-2021

Hopefully also played by Ray Winstone.

"Mister Jonesy, is that you?"

[Image: tumblr_nwrnq01QRS1s21kcxo2_250.gifv]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-10-2021

Just have Mac himself come back for no reason. He did tell us he'd be alright!

He became the pharaoh of an interdimensional alien outpost. He shows up as a third act deus ex machina, bailing Indy out when a portal opens and he flies out astride a Toydarian.

Hey, it's already been established that Indy and Star Wars share the same universe.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-10-2021

mind tricks don't work on him

only jonesy

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 04-10-2021

Yes, more Mac please. His shadow should loom large over whatever this is. Like Tony Stark in the last Spider-man movie.

Fuck SCHINDLER'S LIST. This is Spielberg's highest attainment with the art form.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-11-2021

To this day I have no idea why Mac can't just try to walk, or at least crawl, over to the stairs that Indy is standing on.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-11-2021

he's a dubbow dubbow DUBBOW agent!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-11-2021

(04-11-2021, 05:59 PM)Overlord Wrote: To this day I have no idea why Mac can't just try to walk, or at least crawl, over to the stairs that Indy is standing on.

Movie magic was holding him back?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-11-2021

he was just fed up with all the running and wanted to go out with the riches he loved so much!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-11-2021

Mac's a really dumb and useless character. Consider...

A) His history with Indy begins *after* the third film, so we have no idea what their partnership looked like, making his bizarre unmasking from good guy to bad guy during the Very First Sequence in the movie utterly devoid of any genuine surprise or drama. Imagine if he'd been Brody or Sallah instead. If they'd done a heel-turn, it would've mattered, not that I want either character to double-cross Indy; I just wanted to use an example where this would've accomplished approximately what I assume the script was going for.

B) But what is the script going for? His character's loyalty vacillates between the Russians and the Good Guys, yet what does his character contribute to either group? Indy has a Love Interest (Marion) and a Sidekick (Mutt), so Mac can't fill either of those roles. Heroes often have supporting Ally characters as well. However, if you're a sometimes-turncoat, you're not really an Ally, are you? That said, what does he bring to the table for the Russians? He's not exactly fit enough to be a formidable henchman and he's certainly no Belloq, so he's not bringing any archaeological expertise to the table.

He just feels like a character that survived numerous rewrites *somehow* and then what remained lost whatever narrative purpose he was originally supposed to serve.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 04-11-2021

I wish he’d been Indy’s love interest. Couple of confirmed bachelors, brothers in arms, grown closer than either expected over the years.

Then when he turns, it breaks Indy’s heart. Just like with Elsa. Is he unworthy of love? There, I fixed your movie, Spielberg.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 04-11-2021

(04-10-2021, 04:58 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Just have Mac himself come back for no reason.  He did tell us he'd be alright!

That's such a weird beat. The film plays it like Mac's some enigmatic rogue having a winking redemptive moment - as opposed to him being a non-entity who'd be deeply confusing if the film made you care enough to try and figure him out. 

They could do a Palpatine-laugh thing and have the trailer end on the title with 'I told you I'd be alright' echoing out of the darkness. 

There's a heap of dodgy creative decisions they could hilariously double down on from Crystal Skull. Get Spielberg back to do those bizarre behind the scenes shorts where he discussed painstakingly recreating the colour scheme and look of the original films *while* talking over footage where the bloom's been turned up to 11, the colours have all been muted, everything's weirdly soft focus, and the actors are floating in a green-screened CGI mess.

I wouldn't mind Spalko coming back though - Blanchett looked fiiiiiine in that grey Soviet stuff.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 04-11-2021

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is British.

Denholm Elliott was British.

She's gonna be Brody's granddaughter.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 04-12-2021

Out of all the nonsensical things in Crystal Skull, Mac's death might be the worst.

I just remember being confused and then fighting the urge to laugh.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 04-12-2021

You know what Jonesey? I've decided me legs don't work no more. But don't worry mate, I'll be fine. I'm gonna rob me some interdimensional aliens I am!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-12-2021

(04-11-2021, 07:10 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Denholm Elliott was British.

Denholm Elliott may have been British, but we can't actually be sure that Marcus Brody was.  Given that the man spoke a dozen languages and knew every local custom, for all we know he forged a few documents and cleverly inserted himself into U.S. academia.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 12:18 AM)freeman Wrote: You know what Jonesey?  I've decided me legs don't work no more.  But don't worry mate, I'll be fine.  I'm gonna rob me some interdimensional aliens I am!

My favorite thing is Ray Winstone trying to describe his character on the special features and even he looks confused on how to explain his character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-12-2021

Also, doesn't THE MUMMY have a scene in its climax where the greedy sidekick tries to grab his weight in gold from an identical looking treasure chamber, thus failing to get out in time?

I remember being baffled by the "unrealistic expectations" argument when this movie came out, as if CRYSTAL SKULL's problem was that it was merely inferior to the other Indy movies. The problem is that it was significantly inferior to THE MUMMY.