The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-12-2021

I had no idea the Mummy Returns was so acrimoniously received. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first one, but other than the godawful FX on the Scorpion King I found it pleasant and fun.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-12-2021

I remember when I went to see "The Mummy Returns" in the cinema, and it was sold out. So instead, I watched "Swordfish," again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-12-2021

count me in as someone who’d easily choose mummy2 over crystalskull

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 05:47 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: It seems inevitable I’ll be watching Mummy Returns again. Thanks for that, guys.

[Image: source.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-12-2021

I wish Stephen Summers would get sprung from the director gulag. His G.I. Joe movie was... pretty good!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 06:04 PM)bradito Wrote: I wish Stephen Summers would get sprung from the director gulag. His G.I. Joe movie was... pretty good!

I'd be up for him getting another shot at the big time.  I just want someone to go through his scripts first and trim out his worst impulses to go 'too big.'

hey Bradito: did you ever see ODD THOMAS? I've never seen it nor heard much about it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 05:59 PM)Nooj Wrote: count me in as someone who’d easily choose mummy2 over crystalskull

Oh, no question.

Crystal Skull is such a bad effort from all involved.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-12-2021

I'm in no great hurry to rewatch either of those movies.

MUMMY '99? Yes, please.

(04-12-2021, 06:06 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 06:04 PM)bradito Wrote: I wish Stephen Summers would get sprung from the director gulag. His G.I. Joe movie was... pretty good!

I'd be up for him getting another shot at the big time.  I just want someone to go through his scripts first and trim out his worst impulses to go 'too big.'

hey Bradito: did you ever see ODD THOMAS?  I've never seen it nor heard much about it.

No, I'm not really a Dean R. Koontz guy; I also thought that Sommers' fellow director gulag detainee, Mark Steven Johnson, had directed it. My mistake!

I've been combing through Google to see if I can get more info about what the hell happened on G.I. Joe. There were tons of rumors that Sommers had been fired, then un-fired, after a shitty test screening ("The Worst in Paramount's History!!"), but I'm not exactly sure what transpired. How do you fire a director with final cut privileges? At any rate, the fallout probably wasn't good for his future in showbiz.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-12-2021

Sommers' G.I. JOE is so much fun. It's dumb and bonkers and knows it.

I feel so bad for spelling his name incorrectly.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-12-2021

My fault. I'll take my cane back.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 04-12-2021

The G.I Joe sequel proved just how good Sommers' original is, his film had style and heart.

In some ways I actually prefer Mummy Returns over the Mummy. It's just more fun, more of an adventure.

The sequel kind of presaged the whole "Trump is a Russian asset" concept with President Zartan.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 04-12-2021

Yeah in fairness the stand-off with the various world leaders in the bunker is kind of a hoot.

And Walton Goggins as the blacksite prison warden was a treat.

Jonathan Pryce is absolutely the best part of the sequel. He's having way too much fun.

(04-12-2021, 07:22 PM)Jones Wrote: In some ways I actually prefer Mummy Returns over the Mummy.  It's just more fun, more of an adventure.

You just like the catfight between two hot chicks.

ADMIT IT.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 04-12-2021

No!!!

Van Helsing should've earned him a well-deserved life sentence.

Zing!

I remember a dude fell asleep in my audience during Van Helsing, and his snoring drowned out the film's dialogue.

(04-12-2021, 09:06 PM)bradito Wrote: I remember a dude fell asleep in my audience during Van Helsing, and his snoring drowned out the film's dialogue.

Lucky!

Best part of the film (only good part?) was Dracula's brides!

[Image: BlankFamousHuia-max-1mb.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 09:06 PM)bradito Wrote: I remember a dude fell asleep in my audience during Van Helsing, and his snoring drowned out the film's dialogue.

Well, unless you snuck into my house, it wasn't me.

And if you did, you deserved it.

Because a decent guest would've destroyed the DVD.

I tried giving it another day in court a few years ago, and even Kate Beckinsale couldn't keep me interested. I think I noped out before the end of Act I.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 05:54 PM)Overlord Wrote: I had no idea the Mummy Returns was so acrimoniously received.  I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first one, but other than the godawful FX on the Scorpion King I found it pleasant and fun.

These guys took on the infamous Scorpion King shot and I'm not saying they fixed it but they definitely raised it from 20% effective to, say, 80%.

Man, he looks like a PS2 character.

(04-12-2021, 09:46 PM)bradito Wrote:  ... even Kate Beckinsale couldn't keep me interested ... 

[Image: tumblr_inline_p7nkwmG8oX1szdm0w_250.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-12-2021

I liked THE MUMMY RETURNS the most at the time, for adding Egyptian Kung Fu and the possessed Rachel Weisz.
It was like I could hear Sommers and his team on the set going "Fuck it, whatever. Go nuts and have fun."

I was re-watching the old RLM Plinkett review of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL earlier.
It brought back both the good feelings of the few moves the film makes correctly and the WTF?s of all the moves it makes poorly.

(04-12-2021, 10:00 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 09:46 PM)bradito Wrote:  ... even Kate Beckinsale couldn't keep me interested ... 

I'm sorry, Kate!

I saw "Pearl Harbor" twice! Still friends??

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 04-12-2021

I saw Odd Thomas. It’s a weird one, kind of reminded of like, I don’t know, Pushing Daisies with monsters. Mostly it was interesting because I watched it the week Anton Yelchin died, and he plays a character who talks to people who died premature deaths, so it felt really quite poignant that week. It’s not nearly as good a film as something like The Fisher King, but it has that sort of real world proximity to tragic death, and that is something.

(04-12-2021, 10:09 PM)bradito Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 10:00 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I'm sorry, Kate!

I saw "Pearl Harbor" twice! Still friends??

[Image: ad056315afa405b210527839b689cff3.gif]

Beckinsale's the most boring beautiful actress I've ever watched.

I dunno. I'm interested.

Been watching a gif for 30 minutes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-12-2021

I remember renting PEARL HARBOR on VHS from blockbuster with my mom. It came in two video tapes due its length. After finishing that first tape, we really debated over whether we should actually watch the second tape.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 04-12-2021

Did you? You shouldn't have.